Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Don't worry Peggy, Sioux Falls is gonna make everything aaaaaaaaaalright...

Is that where the Kansas City guys are staying, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I love watching this show so much

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Kampfbereit posted:

It's really not a random pet peeve. He's misusing a technique that is commonly used for a very specific reason. Everything you do on the screen means something. If you zoom in on an object, we assume it's important to the story. If an actor is out of focus in the background, we assume he's not important.

If you show actor A taking a poo poo, and cut to actor B looking at a turd in a toilet, we assume that he's looking at the turd of A, and B is in the same place but at another time. The audience, unless given clues to the contrary, will assume that the second scene happens after the first scene, and the third scene will take place after that in the timeline of the narrative. For this exact reason, we also assume that two things that are shown simultaneously on screen is happening simultaneously in the narrative. Which is why split screens exist.

The interview is fantastic. He can't explain it himself. He claims it's used for catching up with several characters at once, so we don't forget about them, like in Game of Thrones. It has never been used like this in the episodes so far.

Then he reveals that it's something he does in editing, and the directors didn't know about this when they shot the footage, or were unwilling to shoot like this to accommodate his hack whims. Which explains why it looks so amazingly out-of-place. Apparently Keith Gordon, who directed episode 7 and 8, shot specifically with split screen in mind, so it will be interesting to see the difference.

And then he says "and it has the added benefit that it looks like a seventies film-making trope". gently caress you, Noah, you god damned hack. You are editing this like a bored receptionist designing a office party flyer with excessive clip art.

shut up gaywad

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That was a cool little Cohen brothers callback with the song from Raising Arizona at the end.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

a helpful bear posted:

Is that where the Kansas City guys are staying, too?

Im not sure, just remembered it's where Season 1 Lou talked about some horrible bloody massacre going down in '79. I love that every choice Peggy and Ed make are driving them further and further into his big gang war as a big wrench into the works.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

7 minutes in

This is a very good season

*ppfshssssp*

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol That kid from the wire is gonna be the new rocky movie lead

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
It took me a few moments to realize that Lou was doing exactly what he did in season one, stay up on guard duty out in front of the house. I already liked the character but that bit made me like him even more.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
Solid episode. The opening scenes with Dodd getting up to a bit of the ol' ultra violence were nicely paired, showing the generational transfer of brutality in the Gerhardt clan. He didn't have a son of his own so he's going to Shanghai Bear's kid into being his little thug buddy.

KoRMaK posted:

Where's Wallace, Rock, where's Wallace?

EDIT: I know this isn't the place, but those ads for the new Rocky movie have two of the stupidest lines I've ever heard in a trailer ("Rocky's sick" and "You're a false Creed"; the second of which actually sends chills of hatred down my spine as I type it). The HGH is really starting to rot out Stallone's brain.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 3, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

centaurtainment posted:

Where's Wallace, Rock, where's Wallace?

Oh, the rocks gonna be in it?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whoooooooooo

The duaghter is a real cutie. Would let her snort whatever off of my whatever and reminesce about the hippie 60s

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Witch Doctor?

Which Doctor?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lifts cats over head posted:

It took me a few moments to realize that Lou was doing exactly what he did in season one,
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Neat! I'm not following any of the names so this triggered me to lookup character names.

Molly.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

gently caress nightowl, don't get too clever.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

She really wants to make this work.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol how was that guy so bad that he couldnt hear where the shotgun blast came from?

The ear muffs?

The granddaughter is bein reall hosed up.

This season is better than got imo (ive never watched got)

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

KoRMaK posted:

This season is better than got imo (ive never watched got)

Fargo is much more consistent in dialogue, acting, cinematography, tone, and overall quality than GoT ever is. But GoT is trying to appeal to a very wide audience and doesn't have as distinct a voice behind it, so the comparison is not very apt...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Meth Damon gotta kill his wife or else she gonna kill him.

Or the mob is gonna get them both.

I'm wth meth, she got him into this and now she gonna sell her out.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Well we're 4 for 4 in episodes with UFOs (or UFO references) in them. Tonight's was the most unambiguous by far. I believe the 1979 Minnesota UFO case I posted about a few pages ago is the origin of the missing time phenomena associated with sightings (the X-Files made use of that a lot, starting with the episode based on that Minnesota case). I should probably go back and rewatch that scene, but did he lose 2 hours? I seem to remember the Waffle Hut clock reading 7-ish and his stopwatch reading somewhere between 9 and 10. In the X-Files it was usually a few minutes.

Anyway, I had flashbacks to Dark City in this episode, in that I think what is being alluded to is that this alien presence is setting things in motion and manipulating the timeline in order to see how people react to a particular set of circumstances, although I can't even guess as to what or why. I guess in Dark City they didn't have much motivation either, other than curiosity. The audio selection from War of the Worlds last episode seems to support that as well. When I posted about the jewish demonic folklore last season, a lot of goons couldn't understand the difference between allegory and "Malvo's literally a demon", which is hilarious but so, so TVIV. But somehow I don't think this is symbolism or allegory. It's so blatant I actually think the UFOs are real and are a major player in this story.

Which is weird, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but I have to respect the bold, unapologetic lunacy of it.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
How much are they paying AVClub to give every episode a perfect score because this is sort of ridiculous

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

steakmancer posted:

How much are they paying AVClub to give every episode a perfect score because this is sort of ridiculous

Nothing, every episode has been perfect, and they are correct. :colbert:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Koirhor posted:

Its a shame Donovan seems one note so far dude has so much range.

Yeah, he assumed literally at least 50 separate false identities as part of various capers in Burn Notice, with differences ranging from new accents to little tics to language choice to body language. Granted, some changes were more drastic than others, but I'd certainly say he can act. I hope he gets a properly meaty part in a movie soon, I'd like to see what he could do when he really cuts it loose. I like him just fine in Fargo though, and who knows, maybe he'll get a proper ~dramatic~ scene or two later on.

This episode really picked up the pace, but then I suppose Molly was on to Lester by about this time too, and there was still plenty of time for that to play out. I certainly wasn't expecting things to get so intense so quick though.

I was idly thinking about Fargo season one before watching the episode and I concluded that there was no way they could top Season 1 with Malvo, Lester, Molly, and the rest of the stellar cast and story, but now I think there's at least an honest chance they can pull it off.

Oh, and typing Malvo reminded me that I'm pretty sure he catches a thumb or finger in the butt while he's in deep cover as a dentist :thumbsup:.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Nothing, every episode has been perfect, and they are correct. :colbert:

B-B-But splitscreens!!!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

NowonSA posted:

Oh, and typing Malvo reminded me that I'm pretty sure he catches a thumb or finger in the butt while he's in deep cover as a dentist :thumbsup:.

Aces.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Did Molly ever talk about her mom in S1?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was watching in the bathroom mirror slightly buzzed, but I'm pretty sure remembering from the X-files that time-pieces stop at the moment of close encounters. So... there might be that.

e: this guy is soooo chigurh

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

steakmancer posted:

possible solution....stop caring what AVClub thinks?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

avclub posted:

Betsy’s visit to the doctor was brutal, and the real pill/placebo dichotomy is one that I suspect will have further resonance down the line. There’s something about Lou’s, “I think you got the real pill” that sums up a whole lot of thinking, good and bad; the need to be positive in the face of misery, which then translates to believing that positivity in and of itself can somehow solve complex, and ugly, problems. Again, it’s Reagan and his “Good Vs. Evil” narratives. Lou needs to have faith in chance being not so random (and there’s slim promise that even a real pill would be enough to save Betsy); Peggy needs to believe that she can remake herself; Ed needs to believe that his troubled wife really does want the same things he wants; and the Gerhardts want to believe that guts and determination will be enough to face off against a more powerful organization. All of it’s just belief in the face of contrary evidence, and the worse things look, the greater one’s need to keep the faith that got you here.
Loved everything that ties into this, especially the scene with Lou and the Blomquists.

This episode did a great job humanizing Dodd, who was in danger of slipping into the standard role of The Bad Gerhardt. Him leaning on his mom in the car was a really unexpected but sweet moment.

Man, those Luverne cops really poo poo the bed when it comes to picking up clues at the Waffle Hut.

Jake Armitage posted:

When I posted about the jewish demonic folklore last season, a lot of goons couldn't understand the difference between allegory and "Malvo's literally a demon", which is hilarious but so, so TVIV.

Jake Armitage posted:

The funniest part about last season was that all that demon stuff was pretty heavily telegraphed from the first episode, its just that it went right over all but like 3 or 4 people's head in this thread.

Jake Armitage posted:

TVIV is hilariously poor at interpretive analysis (or any analysis, really) of what they watch,
Are you gonna keep gloating about this all season?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

KoRMaK posted:

I knew this before but what

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm guessing things are not going to end well for Dodd's traitorous daughter.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Someones gonna get knocked up with a player, even a minor one, who is in the first seasons run.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

I knew this before but what

What what?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lycus posted:

I'm guessing things are not going to end well for Dodd's traitorous daughter.

Yeah, I thought she might actually be pretty smart and savvy in previous episodes, but the whole cozying up to Milligan to feed him info to betray her whole family puts her at Peggy-level as far as brains for future planning goes. I know she hates her father with a seething passion, but this seems like just about the dumbest possible way to go about getting back at him. I hope something happens later on to make her more than just another bumbling mid-West hick way in over their heads against the big city gangsters, cuz this season already suffers from too many of those type characters.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I'm looking forward to see how Bear handles himself against the KC crew.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked the reveal that Dodd never stood a chance of actually being a normal person, what with his dad making him murder someone when he was a little kid.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

savinhill posted:

Yeah, I thought she might actually be pretty smart and savvy in previous episodes, but the whole cozying up to Milligan to feed him info to betray her whole family puts her at Peggy-level as far as brains for future planning goes. I know she hates her father with a seething passion, but this seems like just about the dumbest possible way to go about getting back at him. I hope something happens later on to make her more than just another bumbling mid-West hick way in over their heads against the big city gangsters, cuz this season already suffers from too many of those type characters.

I do think she has a plan, though: Get out of the Midwest in the end + revenge on the world she was born into. The only fault in the plan is staying to look on as that world die (for revenge/emotional catharsis), and of course trusting the coolest Kansas Funk Band[TM] Mike Milligan & the Kitchen Brothers.

E: I.e. not stupid, angry with a grudge.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Illinois Smith posted:

I'm looking forward to see how Bear handles himself against the KC crew.

Me too. He's by far the most understated character and if he goes full beast mode it could be really great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

muscles like this? posted:

I liked the reveal that Dodd never stood a chance of actually being a normal person, what with his dad making him murder someone when he was a little kid.

The thing that really got to me about that was immediately after murdering the guy and witnessing multiple shootings.... he's just sitting there enraptured by the movie. The poor kid was already desensitized to violence even before the murder :smith:

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

The thing that really got to me about that was immediately after murdering the guy and witnessing multiple shootings.... he's just sitting there enraptured by the movie. The poor kid was already desensitized to violence even before the murder :smith:

Movies don't create psychos, movies make psychos more creative!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I most liked the contrast between this and then later in the episode Bulo pointing out the problem with a family run business. I wonder if he'll be proved ultimately correct when Dodd finds out about his own daughter's betrayal.

• Locked thread