Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I mean, it's not perfect, but I think it would work a lot better than (forgive me, I can't remember them all off the top of my head) the Rich class, the Church class, and the Merchant class, especially considering the whole "Separation of Church and State" thing.

Yankee, Southern, Settler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I mean, it's not perfect, but I think it would work a lot better than (forgive me, I can't remember them all off the top of my head) the Rich class, the Church class, and the Merchant class, especially considering the whole "Separation of Church and State" thing.

Probably the US should have:
  • Plantocracy
  • Free soil
  • Blue bloods
at a minimum.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
The system doesn't really fit the US, but that's fine since it's an edge case near the end of the game's period.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Any suggestions on worthwhile things to do while you're waiting for your "took unlawful territories" and "annexed a member of the HRE" negative modifiers to drop over a few decades?

I feel like I maybe dug myself a hole- I went protestant in my Cologne/Westphalia game, but the centers of Protestantism are Denmark (already swallowed up by Sweden), Savoy and a pretty derpy Brandenberg. I have a feeling the League War is not going to go well...

Do some random wars against rivals to humiliate them + grow army tradition + loot and pillage them + drive them into bankruptcy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GSD posted:

My president!

The Supreme Court demands more provinces!

Look, Scalia has to live somewhere and all the current provinces have banned him.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Why do the 13 colonies keep breaking off so early from me? I end up having to colonize the place for them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Colonial Nations form once you have 5 cores in a colonial region. They'll colonize on their own if they can, but they're typically just too poor; if you give them 5 ducats/month subsidies, they'll happily colonize away.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I feel like I just wasted a good 10 hours, tried to form Westphalia and I can't get it as a decision. As far as I can tell I meet all the criteria in the decision file. But nothing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Can you see the decision in the list at all? That at least tells you what half of the conditions you need to be checking. But the conditions to see the decision are pretty straightforward: Be Hanoverian or Hessian primary culture, have your capital in the Westphalian region, don't be any of the other German formables, don't have custom nations on. Really you should be able to see it from the very first day you start the game.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

As Italy, I annexed and cored all of North+Northeast Africa; while Tunisian is close to becoming an accepted culture (at 8% of my development with Humanist 5 so just 2% off) , Egyptian stays at 0% no matter how much I spend in development. Why is that? Is it cause of distant overseas? If so, why is it not affecting Tunisian? Can I change my capital to say, Alexandria (temporarily?) to get them accepted? Should I just culture change instead?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Do the mamluks or Egypt exist? I think that prevents progress for an accepted culture since that's the culture's primary nation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

canepazzo posted:

As Italy, I annexed and cored all of North+Northeast Africa; while Tunisian is close to becoming an accepted culture (at 8% of my development with Humanist 5 so just 2% off) , Egyptian stays at 0% no matter how much I spend in development. Why is that? Is it cause of distant overseas? If so, why is it not affecting Tunisian? Can I change my capital to say, Alexandria (temporarily?) to get them accepted? Should I just culture change instead?

It's because it's distant overseas. Tunisian works because it's not distant. Check your provinces - if it has a 75% autonomy floor, it's distant overseas. If you wanted to move your capital to Alexandria, you'd have to physically isolate your original capital first, and then it would cause your Italian provinces to become distant overseas.

e: if you can form an unbroken land connection from your capital to your African provinces, it will eliminate the problem since they'll no longer be overseas provinces.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 3, 2015

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Kalos posted:

Do the mamluks or Egypt exist? I think that prevents progress for an accepted culture since that's the culture's primary nation.

They're all gone, only presence in North Africa is me, Tlemcen with the berbers/maghrebs, France and Spain.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 3, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wiz can you please remove all "increased coring cost" things ughhhhhhhhh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Wiz can you please remove all "increased coring cost" things ughhhhhhhhh

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

It's because it's distant overseas. Tunisian works because it's not distant. Check your provinces - if it has a 75% autonomy floor, it's distant overseas. If you wanted to move your capital to Alexandria, you'd have to physically isolate your original capital first, and then it would cause your Italian provinces to become distant overseas.

Bah, that sucks. If I were to go on a Mare Nostrum campaign so getting Serbia->Greece->Anatolia->Middle East->Egypt all connected that would get rid of Distant Overseas, right? Any less conquer-intensive ways? Maybe Malta/Corfu/Cyprus/Crete can create a chain?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
If P-dox wants to keep a similar theme, replacing Hostile Core Creation with Increased Wars core Cost would probably be the way to go. All of them reference a fierce comment to independence but only have an effect after they're wiped off the map.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Increased coring cost is good and you are all babies.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

yes, something that does nothing until a country is already dead is great.

all it does is make north africa a toxic wasteland that no one wants to be in.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

yes, something that does nothing until a country is already dead is great.

all it does is make north africa a toxic wasteland that no one wants to be in.

It does plenty when that country finds itself on the losing side of war, not just when it is dead.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

It does plenty when that country finds itself on the losing side of war, not just when it is dead.

It really doesn't Spain/Portugal eat north africa anyway because the Berbers pay the extra coring cost too in their own wars and for the Ottos who are an other contender it doesn't matter with their bonuses. Maybe it's a MP thing but in single player it doesn't seem to do much to change the path of AIs.

Here's an other idea, how about Paradox replaces the 20 province limit on the republic decision and instead adds a cost per development in MP (prolly Admin) to take it. Say 100 base Admin + 1 per development or something, so large nations can still change to republic without revolution but at a cost.

Or maybe add a way to increase a monarch's abilities to make republics less OP. Same for generals, how come my 1/1/1/0 general is still 1/1/1/0 after having won 3 wars for me? He really didn't learn anything while slaughtering those 200k enemy soldiers?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

It really doesn't Spain/Portugal eat north africa anyway because the Berbers pay the extra coring cost too in their own wars and for the Ottos who are an other contender it doesn't matter with their bonuses. Maybe it's a MP thing but in single player it doesn't seem to do much to change the path of AIs.

It is also an MP thing but I am pretty sure the AI also takes it into account. But I'm pretty sure the extra coring costs in North Africa are simply not enough to deter the Iberia AIs. Most of the north African provinces after Morocco are going to be distant overseas anyway, and they are generally poor provinces anyway so the extra coring cost that is there does not amount to that much.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

YF-23 posted:

It is also an MP thing but I am pretty sure the AI also takes it into account. But I'm pretty sure the extra coring costs in North Africa are simply not enough to deter the Iberia AIs. Most of the north African provinces after Morocco are going to be distant overseas anyway, and they are generally poor provinces anyway so the extra coring cost that is there does not amount to that much.

+Core Cost is an absolute garbage waste of an NI slot. If Berber or Georgian or whatever other ideas that have it in the kit were actually strong and they needed balancing out by a garbage filler idea than sure keep them in. But none of the idea groups with hostile coring cost are actually that great.

In singleplayer it does have some use as the AI will take it into consideration before invading but I dont think I've ever seen someone not attack a player in MP because of hostile coring cost. If anything it just makes them way angrier and more aggressive against you because they dont want your poison cores to start spreading anywhere important. Even if they dont take all your land do expect to be gutted and hedged into a corner as early as possible and left to rot.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

YF-23 posted:

In MP, if someone grabs aristocratic, all their neighbors will join up to murder the poo poo out of them ASAP to prevent their toxic cores from spreading. It is not an MP mechanic in any way.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Increased coring cost could be dependent on provincial terrain and not national ideas. Moroccan Mediterranean provinces that are nice and cozy could be cheaper (in relative terms per point of development) than their mountainous desert hellholes in the south. The same could be for every other province in the world.

Berbers could then have a NI that lessens the penalty to coring cost to simulate them having little trouble fighting between themselves, but outside invaders having trouble conquering beyond Mediterranean ports. Unless they are attacked by Georgians or Afgans who are also mountainous people and have the same penalty reducing NI.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It depends on the set-up though, if you are playing MP games where there's no alliances and everyone who picks Aristocratic is always vulnerable to being gutted immediately with no hope, I don't think that's 100% representative.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Explain why you think the increased coring costs are good besides "people don't like it so they're BABIES"

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

YF-23 posted:

It depends on the set-up though, if you are playing MP games where there's no alliances and everyone who picks Aristocratic is always vulnerable to being gutted immediately with no hope, I don't think that's 100% representative.

If I am allied to my neighbor who picks up Aristocratic, I will betray him right loving quick, and so will anyone else nearby. Toxic core spread is not something anyone wants in their neighborhood.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hostile Core-Creation is a crutch, but not one that should be removed without something to fill the gap. And no, the solution is not to make North Africa the richest region in the world.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wiz posted:

Hostile Core-Creation is a crutch, but not one that should be removed without something to fill the gap. And no, the solution is not to make North Africa the richest region in the world.

Maybe just give those countries some other kind of bonus?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GreyPowerVan posted:

Maybe just give those countries some other kind of bonus?

What kind of bonus will prevent North Africa from being all Iberian all the time?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wiz posted:

What kind of bonus will prevent North Africa from being all Iberian all the time?

It's already almost always Iberian all the time. Real answer: maybe some combination of fort defense + attrition, which will cause wars to cost way more to press. The only problem is I don't think the AI considers those things when declaring.

Either way, something besides Core Creation cost would be better. It just serves to make humans ignore Africa when they would normally want to expand there. I know it makes my games less fun knowing that I'm just pouring my limited monarch points into land that is not worth it.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 3, 2015

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
There are better ways to simulate fierce independence IMO. Maybe some sort of mechanic that makes your cores never decay, or makes enemy cores decay faster if they lose control of a province you have cores in. It's still a deterrent and allows you to rebound later on but I don't think anybody would murder you just because your cores are permanent.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Maybe increased separatism or spawns larger rebel stacks.

EDIT: As long as ____ country remains, you get fiercer patriot rebels or something.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The question you need to ask yourself is "would this be any kind of deterrence to me, as a player?".

The answer to all of your ideas is "no". People hate hostile core-creation because it actually works as a deterrence.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wiz posted:

The question you need to ask yourself is "would this be any kind of deterrence to me, as a player?".

The answer to all of your ideas is "no". People hate hostile core-creation because it actually works as a deterrence.

Actually, there's a lot of times in pretty much every campaign I play where increased rebels would ruin me, since I expand so fast I can barely keep up with everything at once.

Do you really need to limit human players in such a way, though?

Why create a mechanic that is not fun for people? If you don't want Iberians in Africa, why are we playing a history sandbox simulator.

EDIT: People hate it because Monarch Points are always tight and it makes no sense to take stuff that costs more per development than other land, since it's just literally less valuable. At least when you conquer masses of 3 development land, you know it adds up. With this, you're just paying extra for land that is no better. This makes it where if you intend to keep up in tech, you just don't go into North Africa.

I mean, yeah, it's a deterrent. Just not a particularly fun or interesting one.

EDIT2: This doesn't just hurt the Iberian countries. It's singlehandedly the reason I've never played any North African nation, even though I keep thinking Tunis or Morocco would be fun to beat back the Iberians.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 3, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Make starting alliances between the North Africans so they help one another?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wiz posted:

The only thing it deters me from is playing in North Africa really, so there's two big nations I never ever play because it's godawful spending all your ADM on conquest early game

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Maybe you get to ignore increased coring cost if you are the same culture type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Increased coring cost hardly makes playing North Africans horrible by itself. Playing Tunisia has always been a bore. But Morocco is quite fun in a glass cannon way, and part of that is having to fend of the Iberians while being careful about how you chew through the rest of the Berbers.

• Locked thread