Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

thespaceinvader posted:

Reaper is good for single figs and small numbers. Mantic has them beat on price for hordes, which surprises me.

Not that surprising. Bones are obviously very cheap as far as these things go, but they're still packaged and sold individually (or as 3-packs in a few cases), with all that implies for price. If Reaper ever decided to sell Bones skeletons or whatever as a 10 or 20 model unit, they could probably drop the price some more, but rank-and-file wargamers aren't their number-one market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Australia dollars? I'm seeing 20 saurus for $38 US. That might be around their old price. I'm a little surprised they didn't go up to cover all of this reboxing.

Temple Guard are now 15 for $55. Not sure why they did that, they used to be 10 per box for some amount I don't remember. $35? $40?

Oh yes! Canada is only at $45 so a ~$5 increase, not a ~$35 dollar one.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Pierzak posted:

Hordes? Probably Mantic. Characters? Reaper or one of the million tiny companies making poo poo in resin.

Good idea with Reaper. I'm trying to help my friend gather his Mordheim undead warband, so not sure if a massed rank and file box of Mantic zombies is the way to go.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

1 Vampire:
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/vampire/latest/77282

1 Necromancer:
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/necromancer/latest/77151

3 Dregs:
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/over/latest/77141
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/townsfolk/latest/77351

2 Ghouls:
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/latest/77159 X2

2 Dire Wolves:
https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/wolf/latest/77202 X2

3 Zombies:
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/zombies/latest/77053

A complete warband for $31.57 MSRP probably less than $25 if you go through an online retailer.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Thanks man. I'll pass those on to him. He's kind of got a hard on for GW stuff so will probably get his Ghouls and Necromancer from them. But the dregs look good.

Also I'll probably advise him not to get Bones, if there are metal versions instead I'll suggest those - just because I mistrust and fear Bonesium.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ineptmule posted:

Thanks man. I'll pass those on to him. He's kind of got a hard on for GW stuff so will probably get his Ghouls and Necromancer from them. But the dregs look good.

Also I'll probably advise him not to get Bones, if there are metal versions instead I'll suggest those - just because I mistrust and fear Bonesium.

You can also point him to my emporium of wonders, then. All the undead models from those dudes I sold you are still available, including ghouls and necromancers. :v:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hokay I'll let him know :D

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ineptmule posted:

It's a little fiddle with spears and small swords but awesome for rat, critters, heroes and such. The poses get kinda boring for the throwaway bad guys.

I wasn't so sure about it at first either but it certainly has its place.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Do the boiling to ice water trick and you can fix bent pieces and even make alternate poses for your skelliemans.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Idk if they still do it but if your friend has a huge hard on for GW kits, there used to be sellers on ebay that would sell enough bits for one model out of a box for like $3-5.

That way he could get his pretty GW things without buying whole boxes of poo poo he won't need

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Not evil enough for a necromancer, but would make a perfect Amethyst mage.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
scythe = necromancer

thats just the rules man

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Haha, gently caress no. You're in the Warhammer thread. GIS "warhammer amethyst wizard", count the scythes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that is dumb what is even a amethsyt wizard

scythes are for necromancer because OF THE GRIM REAPER MAYBE YOUVE HEARD OF HIM(HER?)???

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Amethyst wizards are death magic wizards, necromancy is hosed up corrupt death magic, though they're two different things. Amethyst wizards still use a lot of death/grim reaper imagery though.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
According to Vermintide the huge amount of skulls and death imagery on everything in Warhammer may be due to the Wind of Death being unusually strong and subconsciously influencing people to decorate everything with skulls.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That's pretty canon actually, it's one of the reasons for the VC stuff being all skellified. Shyish corrupts like that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I would love to play Vermintoodles but cant afford it

oh well maybe in a steam sale

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Moola posted:

that is dumb what is even a amethsyt wizard

scythes are for necromancer because OF THE GRIM REAPER MAYBE YOUVE HEARD OF HIM(HER?)???
Yeah mtherfucker does death. Necromancy undoes death so its symbol should be like...puked up corn.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
or like, a skeleton arm giving a thumbs up I guess?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reaper's search tool is excellent.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/necromancer

e. LOL boobclaws:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 3, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
where can I buy Reaper minis from inside the EU/UK?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can order directly from them by clicking the british flag on their site but otherwise I guess you'd have to find a game store locally. They go through one of the major tabletop game distributors so any game store that carries fantasy minis other than GW probably can get you anything from the Reaper catalog, although their special orders are notoriously slow/late when done through a retailer for some reason.

I like the simplicity of this Julie Guthrie sculpt:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/necromancer/sku-down/14180

I have and painted this one for my tomb kings, it's very good and the detail is reasonable even in Bones:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/necromancer/sku-down/77147

Here's my paintjob:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 3, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Moola, remember that guy's awesome concept art? The wizard with the little skeleton bros following him around was a Death Wizard.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Moola posted:

I would love to play Vermintoodles but cant afford it

oh well maybe in a steam sale

Get a job

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I need a whole new rig to play anything newer than 2012. Big overtime check next week, might see what I can do so I can get in on sweet Vermintide and FO4.

Everyone tells me to build one myself but I feel like I'm descended from the apes that didn't touch the monolith and learn to wield tapir bones. Like I'd gently caress it up and fry components or whatever.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Otisburg posted:

I need a whole new rig to play anything newer than 2012. Big overtime check next week, might see what I can do so I can get in on sweet Vermintide and FO4.

Everyone tells me to build one myself but I feel like I'm descended from the apes that didn't touch the monolith and learn to wield tapir bones. Like I'd gently caress it up and fry components or whatever.

Building a computer is literally plugging parts into the only sockets they fit. If you ever matched the pegs to their holes in kindergarten you can probably build a PC.

Anyway Vermintide is awesome, and with Total Warhammer and Mordheim on the way, I've officially put my models into semi-permanent storage in the attic. Warhammer is a digital hobby now :pcgaming:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
What if I literally can't tell the difference between a mother board and a graphics card?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Holy poo poo Vermintide scratches an itch I didn't know I had. It perfectly captures the insanity of the Old World and the slightly unhinged acceptance of it by its inhabitants. Its a gorgeous love letter to the setting and really reinforces how utterly bland AoS is without even trying to.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
^^^ Vermintide is amazing, I get an insane glee out of mulching rats that killing zombies in l4d and l4d2 never gave me. I just wish the netcode was a little tighter.

Not a viking posted:

What if I literally can't tell the difference between a mother board and a graphics card?

Find a nerdy relative and buy them booze/computer parts until they do it for you.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Not a viking posted:

Look up toms hardware. They usually do a few builds within price ranges and will give you good routes. Nowadays pretty much anything will fit together. Buy a motherboard and processor in a package deal as that's pretty much the only way you'll gently caress it up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe I'll check out the hardware nerd forum and see if there's a megathread. I might be able to shake 5-600 bucks out of my budget next check, and that should be enough since I don't need blistering framerates or care much about running in native 4k or whatever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is the SH/SC PC parts picking/system building megathread. The OP is generally pretty up to date. Read the first bit to get the standard form and you can just post your requirements and some nerd will tell you exactly what to buy. If you get confused trying to assemble it they can tell you how to do that too.

Or read a little more and they have some sample systems where you can literally just buy the list of things and have a PC.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Skellybones posted:

According to Vermintide the huge amount of skulls and death imagery on everything in Warhammer may be due to the Wind of Death being unusually strong and subconsciously influencing people to decorate everything with skulls.

All the winds of magic influence people, so that's not a crazy idea.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

hooman posted:

^^^ Vermintide is amazing, I get an insane glee out of mulching rats that killing zombies in l4d and l4d2 never gave me. I just wish the netcode was a little tighter.

The glee comes from the fact that the rats give a poo poo about being mulched. It's the best part about Skaven. They're a massive horde of individuals who are all out for themselves and complete and total cowards, so they quickly go from 'Kill-kill! Bring ruin-death! We are invincible!' to frantically trying to pull themselves back through a wall because a really happy dwarf with a giant loving hammer has just sent all their buddies flying off a wall and is coming this way.

Vermintide's pretty good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wait, you're telling me that you can actually route them, like proper Skaven, instead of them wading videogamily forward to be massacred to the last rat? :love:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Clanrats, yeah. They panic and stop fighting or don't start fights until they outnumber you. Slaverats no, they run in huge rear end swarms at you and then all die.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

The glee comes from the fact that the rats give a poo poo about being mulched. It's the best part about Skaven. They're a massive horde of individuals who are all out for themselves and complete and total cowards, so they quickly go from 'Kill-kill! Bring ruin-death! We are invincible!' to frantically trying to pull themselves back through a wall because a really happy dwarf with a giant loving hammer has just sent all their buddies flying off a wall and is coming this way.

Vermintide's pretty good.

Pretty sure you just hit the ratman on the head.

Also their screams as you smash them off high ledges to their falling death or into the infinite abyss are music to my ears. Slaughtering mindless hordes of zombies can never match slaughtering cowardly backstabbing assholes who you just know would take infinite glee out of shanking you to death.

When a rat stabs you from behind and you just turn around and belt its head clean off like you're dwarf Babe Ruth in the rat murder world series. God that's satisfying.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"The Righteous feel no pain! Be you unrighteous!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Not a viking posted:

Tigerdirect is a good website, too, as well as Cnet/Download.com and even Amazon reviews. Or hire me, I'm a technician. I'm fixin' to buy a case from Goodwill and filling it with the best parts from three years ago (nuts to spending mad money on a fashion case or getting this year's stuff at an extreme markup). Honestly, I can't memorize every single component's performance, so most of my wizardry comes from reading reviews and manuals (and trial-and-error).

Also, refurbished hardware as long as it has the same manufacturer's warranty as the new equipment, like so: http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8 (kinda lame selection at the moment, but I got my current card this year for about 1/5th the cost, can actually play Vermintide and stuff now).

• Locked thread