Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

But this is veering way into "can be done but can't be cost effective". You will probably also hit some bottlenecks since thunderbolt can only provide so much throughput.
PCIe x4 generally does alright actually (TB2 is 2.0, TB3 is 3.0, albeit some overhead on both):
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/

Well, for now at least. I imagine newer GPUs and games would push things further, but still it'd be an improvement over whatever internal GPU. Compute wise I vaguely recall seeing varying results, afaik related to whether contents could fit in the VRAM or needed to be swapped over the PCIe bus.

If Apple supports external GPUs I'd hope it supports external to drive internal, just cause I suspect they might already be doing similar to make IGP/discrete GPU switching work. I mostly don't expect any support at all...but they're the main TB pushers (barring Alpine Ridge becoming the USB 3.1 controller of choice), and all on AMD graphics where applicable, when all the TB3 GPU demos are AMD too (nothing stopping Nvidia, they just haven't worked with Intel to make TB aware GPU drivers).

I'd probably go for one just cause I don't want an iMac so my options are Mac mini or Pro. I might splurge for the latter if they keep it around for Skylake and whatever fancy new GPUs are out by then, otherwise I'm just hoping the Mac minis get a redesign for their next update whenever, although I fear it'd be with Core M leftovers or something to make it smaller. My related hope is that the new Apple TV fills the tiny HTPC niche enough that they don't bother with that route. Amusing alternate reality would end with a Xeon D model for the server niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
At the end of the day, there isn't really a pressing need to run the internal display via the eGPU in OS X anyway- as long as the GPU shipped in the Mac could still do that job. Any game that you could be playing in OS X that would really benefit from a top-flight GPU is almost always better off played in Windows.

In my ideal setup, I'd use OS X for general stuff and video/photo Adobe apps. A render/compute-only desktop GPU would be really useful from a performance standpoint in something like Premiere but you wouldn't need it to draw graphics on the display. The mobile/integrated GPU would still presumably be more than capable of handling display output- arguably even moreso than normal if there is a way to offload as much of the lifting as possible to the eGPU. Then I'd switch to a Windows partition for gaming.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

At the end of the day after figuring out the cost of the enclosure and the external GPU you're usually better off just building a cheap windows desktop for gaming. I did the math on this a few times and it only ever made sense for me when a desktop was just not an option - namely when I was living in Europe for a year, living out of a couple suitcases, and changing residences every 3-4 months.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Well I think it's about time to say buy to the old iMac. It's from 2010 and keeps crashing. I had El Capitan on it yesterday and this morning it couldn't locate the OS so I tried reinstalling it only to get to the end, say 1,295,5767 hours remaining, restart, repeat.

Would this be logic board? It's a brand new hard drive. I'm not too invested since I want a MBP again (plus I didn't pay that much for the iMac) and will be starting to save for the new models next year. My work MBP can hold me over until then.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

cheese eats mouse posted:

Well I think it's about time to say buy to the old iMac. It's from 2010 and keeps crashing. I had El Capitan on it yesterday and this morning it couldn't locate the OS so I tried reinstalling it only to get to the end, say 1,295,5767 hours remaining, restart, repeat.

Would this be logic board? It's a brand new hard drive. I'm not too invested since I want a MBP again (plus I didn't pay that much for the iMac) and will be starting to save for the new models next year. My work MBP can hold me over until then.

I'd say your hard drive is failing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I've noticed a few people having problems with Dell monitors since El Cap.

My 2410u for some reason won't detect a signal after a sleep. If I reboot the computer it sees a signal, and I can make it detect the signal by power cycling the monitor or pulling and reinserting the MDP cord, but it's kind of a pain.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

empty baggie posted:

I'd say your hard drive is failing.

But it's a brand new drive?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

But it's a brand new drive?

That makes it more likely. Bathtub curve is real.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'll file an issue with WD then. There is at least a 5 year warranty. I don't know how I'm going to get it out though without paying another $130 for someone to open it. :|

It's starting to feel like a dumb thing and would rather throw any more money towards a new computer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

At the end of the day after figuring out the cost of the enclosure and the external GPU you're usually better off just building a cheap windows desktop for gaming. I did the math on this a few times and it only ever made sense for me when a desktop was just not an option - namely when I was living in Europe for a year, living out of a couple suitcases, and changing residences every 3-4 months.

That's probably true. At the same time, when you factor in the relative quality of the iMac display and its non-graphics hardware, it may be cheaper to build a separate, dedicated desktop for Windows gaming but it can't be cheaper to build one that's as good, right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What errors are in the console? That will give you an idea of what's wrong with it

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

SMART Utility had a free trial. Try downloading that and see what it says. It should catch a failing drive pretty easily (and more reliably than something like Disk Utility).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That's probably true. At the same time, when you factor in the relative quality of the iMac display and its non-graphics hardware, it may be cheaper to build a separate, dedicated desktop for Windows gaming but it can't be cheaper to build one that's as good, right?

the 5k imac starts at $1.8k, plus taxes. You can build a far superior gaming desktop minus display for $1000 and $700 will buy you a hell of a lot of display these days.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

the 5k imac starts at $1.8k, plus taxes. You can build a far superior gaming desktop minus display for $1000 and $700 will buy you a hell of a lot of display these days.

Yeah but my whole situation is contingent on having a Mac around. If I wanted just a PC or a Hackintosh or two separate computers I wouldn't be talking about this, now would I?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Mac Hardware megathread - Come here and we'll tell you why not to buy a Mac

but seriously for gaming don't buy a Mac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don't buy a Mac if you want bleeding edge games.

Me, I'm having a blast with OpenEmu and the experimental PS1 build; there are many PS1 games to try (and hopefully soon PS2 games) on top of NES and SNES / Genesis / MAME / Nintendo DS games you can play with a decent controller (you can actually Bluetooth sync to a Dual Shock 3 or 4 wireless controller or do what I did and buy a barely used Logitech F710 with wireless USB dongle out of Micro Center's bargain bin for $20) that if you don't mind old games you won't lack for gaming material.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you need a Mac as an everyday computer by all means get one. gently caress they can get downright reasonable in price if you don't need a poo poo load of graphics capabilities. Modest but serviceable and upgradable gaming PCs are pretty cheap. Just run two systems.

Edit FYI I do all my work on an MBP and am building a new cheap Windows game box right now.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Or, if you're really just Gay As All Get Out. I started with the Hackintosh game for over a year, then eventually earned enough to buy a Mac Pro from the Refurb store, which I immediately regret when they announced the Retina 5K iMac the day after I received it. Of course, I had to outdo myself, so I returned it to the nearest Fruit Stand after restoring it to scratch, and then from home, when the refund cleared, I ordered the most expensive 5K I could get, save for memory, which I bought some of from another place.

Six months later, I got a retina MacBook Pro 15", 2014 model, refurb, but the stats show it was only manufactured about two weeks before I received it, so it was either re-dated, or someone got cold feet with it as fast as I did with that Mac Pro.

Oh right, I converted my dad as well, bought him a 21.5" iMac for Christmas in between those two events. He's still learning the ropes, but mostly gets by. Still deals with random quirks that often go away with a log-out log-in cycle, or with a reboot, such as the Printers/Scanners PrefPane not recognizing our scanner/printer unit. Or other annoyances that clear up with no apparent attempt to cure them, like scanning to Photos randomly deciding to scan to ~/Pictures and pop open the scans in Preview instead.

And it's not really the dumbest or biggest waste I've ever committed in my lifetime, either. During these months I've owned the 5K, I've managed to play some rather fun games, even if they weren't The Latest And Greatest. Such as Diablo 3 in OS X, and Skyrim in Windows.

I didn't get them to play games, I got them because I'm Gay As All Get Out. I also have an iPad, an iPod Touch, and an iPhone. I'll probably buy a loving iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, too.

But wait, you didn't come here for my lovely life story, now did you?

Truth: Apple makes fairly decent hardware, and at least in the laptop category, they manage to run some of the best machines available, with equivalently decked out competition often being the same price or more, and sometimes being poorly built by comparison. You can't go too wrong buying a machine in this category, so long as you know you may not have the best compatibility experience, and may not have the fastest gaming machine, even if you do install Windows on it.

Far from it, in some cases. I found from my Mac Pro experience that it was not really the huge gaming champ I expected, and the FirePro D500 cards I got did earn a decent benchmark in 3DMark, but barely pushed more frames in the games I actually played, compared to the dinky R9 270X in my existing gaming PC.

If you want the best Mac, you'll probably have to build it yourself, but if you can settle for what Apple pushes out, you may learn to like it anyway. Or spend a shitload of money and really like it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So someone brought in a 13-inch Late 2010 MBA that wasn't booting and I think hoo boy here we go, but it turns out the only issue was the SSD which had 25 reallocated bad sectors. Backed up the data, did an ATA secure erase with Parted Magic, wiped the drive again with Disk Utility, reinstalled YOSemite and the poo poo's back in action no harm no foul.

The SSD appears to be the original, so that's nearly 6 years it's been continuously running and all it needed was a reformat. Yep, it was a Samsung too. If it were a platter drive it'd be ready for the junk heap by now.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
I'm trying to use an Xbox 360 wired controller with a Mid 2012 Retina Macbook Pro.

I have two controllers, and they used to work before the Yosemite release at which point there was some sort of kext issue so I stopped using them. I've just gone back to them and can't get either of them to work.

I've tried them both in OSX (El Capitan) and Windows 7 and they just don't seem to connect (don't appear as devices or anything). Is there anything unique about the MBP's USB ports or anything that would explain it? or is it just likely that they've both broken over the last year?

I'll be heading home this weekend where I have a 360 so I can try the controllers out then but thought I'd ask incase anyone knows anything...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

lol

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
We have a Mid 2011 13" Macbook Air that just recently started showing the "Service Battery" note. Looking at replacements, there is the obvious option to replace it through Apple, which I believe is $129+taxes and various third party options.

iFixit sells a battery for $110
Amazon has a LB1 branded battery that seems to get mixed reviews for $89

Are the third party batteries even worth messing with, or should I just take the thing into Apple to have it replaced? the job looks easy, I just don't want to put a questionable part into my wife's computer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Falco posted:

I just don't want to put a questionable part into my wife's computer.

Then take it into Apple to have it replaced by them.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

WELP so that late 2013 15" MacBook Pro I bought a bit ago for $1600 was having graphical issues when it switched from the integrated to discrete card. Luckily it had Apple care on it because the previous owner never mentioned the screen flickering. They replaced the logic board, wiped out SSD, and finally replaced the screen but the problem still persisted. They put on an older 10.10 image on there and it still gave us screen flickering in the Apple Store. They wanted to replace the logic board again. I was kinda frustrated at this point because I'd be out of the computer for another 5 days.

So they ended up just replacing the whole machine with a new 2015 1TB 15" MBP. The catch was that the Apple care didn't transfer. I have to buy apple care for it again but that's not bad. I have peace of mind buying any used Apple hardware as long as there's any Apple care left on the machine.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 2, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

I'll file an issue with WD then. There is at least a 5 year warranty. I don't know how I'm going to get it out though without paying another $130 for someone to open it. :|

Next time, if you're paying a shop to open up your computer, buy the drive from them too. That way it's all on them when something fucks up. Since you're paying them to do the install and there's plenty of profit there, they should be willing to price match whoever else you would have bought the drive from anyway. If not, go somewhere else.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Rabid Snake posted:

So they ended up just replacing the whole machine with a new 2015 1TB 15" MBP. The catch was that the Apple care didn't transfer. I have to buy apple care for it again but that's not bad. I have peace of mind buying any used Apple hardware as long as there's any Apple care left on the machine.

Welp, you made out like a bandit as there are some tweaks to the 2015 MBP over the 2013.. first is that the SSD interface is PCIe x4 in the 2015, as opposed to PCIe x2 in the 2013, which means throughput through the SSD drive is even faster than it was before, and it was pretty impressive before. Second, both the integrated and dedicated GPUs on that model can drive monitors at full 4K resolution. Lastly, you get Force Touch but I haven't really tried it myself, but you may like it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rabid Snake posted:

WELP so that late 2013 15" MacBook Pro I bought a bit ago for $1600 was having graphical issues when it switched from the integrated to discrete card. Luckily it had Apple care on it because the previous owner never mentioned the screen flickering. They replaced the logic board, wiped out SSD, and finally replaced the screen but the problem still persisted. They put on an older 10.10 image on there and it still gave us screen flickering in the Apple Store. They wanted to replace the logic board again. I was kinda frustrated at this point because I'd be out of the computer for another 5 days.

This reminds me of when I bought a used (second or third-gen) iPod off of eBay for a too-good-to-be-true price, and it started clicking and taking forever to sync only a month or so into owning it. I went to the Apple store with it ready to lie my rear end off about buying it brand new and taking perfect care of it and I lost the receipt and blah blah blah (I was like 18 ok), turns out it still had a few weeks of AppleCare left on it and they just gave me a new one before I could even get the chance to bullshit them. It's good to hear AppleCare is still awesome.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, you made out like a bandit as there are some tweaks to the 2015 MBP over the 2013.. first is that the SSD interface is PCIe x4 in the 2015, as opposed to PCIe x2 in the 2013, which means throughput through the SSD drive is even faster than it was before, and it was pretty impressive before. Second, both the integrated and dedicated GPUs on that model can drive monitors at full 4K resolution. Lastly, you get Force Touch but I haven't really tried it myself, but you may like it.

How about the 2014 vs 2015?

I was thinking about getting a 2015 with 512 hard drive and AMD graphics card, however, I just saw this from Adorama:

Specs look the same except for the card, how much better is the AMD? Where else is different? I know it doesn't have force touch but that isn't worth $500 to me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Haggins posted:

How about the 2014 vs 2015?

I was thinking about getting a 2015 with 512 hard drive and AMD graphics card, however, I just saw this from Adorama:

Specs look the same except for the card, how much better is the AMD? Where else is different? I know it doesn't have force touch but that isn't worth $500 to me.

Notebookcheck.net says the R9 M370 is substantially faster than the GT 750M; it's also a newer GPU.

You could also look here:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M370X-Mac-vs-GeForce-GT-750M-Mac

Sadly no Mac benchmarks on that link, just raw specs. Another factor is that AMD/ATI tends to write better graphics drivers than what nVidia produces for Mac GPUs. I'd also bet that the GT 750M probably sucks a lot more power under load than the M370.

Otherwise the 2015 still has these over the 2014:

- faster SSD

- Ability to support 5K monitors (5120 by 2880)

- slightly better battery (99 watt/hr vs. 95 watt/hr)

Laptop Magazine also says the 2014 rMBP was slightly brighter than the 2015 (317 nits to 303 nits.)

Lastly if you look here: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-retina-15-inch-2015

They say the 2015 can run half an hour longer on battery than the 2014.

Your move...

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

enojy posted:

This reminds me of when I bought a used (second or third-gen) iPod off of eBay for a too-good-to-be-true price, and it started clicking and taking forever to sync only a month or so into owning it. I went to the Apple store with it ready to lie my rear end off about buying it brand new and taking perfect care of it and I lost the receipt and blah blah blah (I was like 18 ok), turns out it still had a few weeks of AppleCare left on it and they just gave me a new one before I could even get the chance to bullshit them. It's good to hear AppleCare is still awesome.

Well I knew that Apple Care transferred over to the new buyer so I knew I wasn't SOL. To be fair, I would've bought the base discrete rMBP off the refurb store if that meant I didn't have to deal with going to the Apple Store four times in a row in two weeks. Nothing against the Apple Store, but it's a pain to wait 2 hours each visit since the store nearby me is understaffed. My productivity this week was at an all time low sadly.

At least I was able to get a prorated refund on apple care on the old defective unit. I was also able to use my girl friend's educational discount to purchase apple care for this new laptop; so in the end it only cost me only $130. $1730 is not bad for a fully maxed out 15" rMBP with Applecare but I NEVER want to spend another minute in a crowded apple store. Great customer service but I just had bad luck on a lemon.

Edit: Just checked the display manufacturer after Star War Sex Parrot's posts and I went from an LG panel to a Samsung panel in the new rMBP. I don't see a drastic difference but I do see a more "clearer" picture color wise. Closer to the korean 27" IPS monitors I have at home.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 3, 2015

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Heisenberg1276 posted:

I'll be heading home this weekend where I have a 360 so I can try the controllers out then but thought I'd ask incase anyone knows anything...

Try this one? Driver

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Notebookcheck.net says the R9 M370 is substantially faster than the GT 750M; it's also a newer GPU.

You could also look here:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M370X-Mac-vs-GeForce-GT-750M-Mac

Sadly no Mac benchmarks on that link, just raw specs. Another factor is that AMD/ATI tends to write better graphics drivers than what nVidia produces for Mac GPUs. I'd also bet that the GT 750M probably sucks a lot more power under load than the M370.

Otherwise the 2015 still has these over the 2014:

- faster SSD

- Ability to support 5K monitors (5120 by 2880)

- slightly better battery (99 watt/hr vs. 95 watt/hr)

Laptop Magazine also says the 2014 rMBP was slightly brighter than the 2015 (317 nits to 303 nits.)

Lastly if you look here: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-retina-15-inch-2015

They say the 2015 can run half an hour longer on battery than the 2014.

Your move...

Hmm I think in reality the most intensive thing I'll be doing is using Lightroom with rare trips to photoshop. I'm assuming it'll have plenty of horsepower for that. The biggest things I want/need are the 512 drive and 15 inch screen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Haggins posted:

Hmm I think in reality the most intensive thing I'll be doing is using Lightroom with rare trips to photoshop. I'm assuming it'll have plenty of horsepower for that. The biggest things I want/need are the 512 drive and 15 inch screen.

It will. I have a 2012 rMBP and it's more than powerful enough to do all my editing (the updates have not substantially increased the performance of either CPU or GPU imo).

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

flosofl posted:

Then take it into Apple to have it replaced by them.

Thanks, will do

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

mediaphage posted:

It will. I have a 2012 rMBP and it's more than powerful enough to do all my editing (the updates have not substantially increased the performance of either CPU or GPU imo).

Ordered! Hopefully I don't get screwed on Black Friday, but really how much cheaper can it get?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DIdn't they only knock something like $50 off or give you an itunes gift card or something? Apple really doesn't seem to give a poo poo about Black Friday.

The only good Apple-related Black Friday sale I can remember was Best Buy or Walmart or someone blowing out iPad 2's when they were teetering on the brink of obsolescence.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cyrano4747 posted:

The only good Apple-related Black Friday sale I can remember was Best Buy or Walmart or someone blowing out iPad 2's when they were teetering on the brink of obsolescence.

My brother just bought my dad one for Xmas for $199 from Microcenter (refurb I think)

I said an iPad 2? I told him I'd throw in $100 to get hims something made in the last 3 years.

"All he's going to do with it is watch YouTube"

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

IIRC the reason the iPad 2 was produced for so long is because the FAA approved it as a digital flight bag for use in aviation in the US and getting a device through FAA approval is a PITA. I'm guessing the newer ones are on the approved list now too.

I also recall reading something about their use in education being a reason, but my memory is less clear on that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pivo posted:

IIRC the reason the iPad 2 was produced for so long is because the FAA approved it as a digital flight bag for use in aviation in the US and getting a device through FAA approval is a PITA. I'm guessing the newer ones are on the approved list now too.

I also recall reading something about their use in education being a reason, but my memory is less clear on that.

They aren't retina so they're poo poo IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

new iMacs are 10-bit color

https://www.cinema5d.com/5k-imac-10-bit-color/