Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I'd like a recommendation for a mirrorless for my father and stepmother. I'm familiar with and shoot DSLR myself but have a limited knowledge of what's around in the mirrorless world so thought I'd ask here to start. The idea is that the camera would be used heavily while travelling, something they do a ton of. They take many photos, some of which are actually decently framed and interesting but they use only the camera in my father's android tablet and the image quality is awful. After years I've finally convinced them to consider picking up a proper camera so they can enjoy that aspect of their trips more/have decent photos to look back on.

My father was into film photography when he was younger and understands the basics. He would likely be using aperture or shutter priority most of the time.

Criteria:

Must have a decent variety of lenses available in-mount, they wouldn't be using adapter rings. They've mentioned wanting to get into some macro stuff as well.
A smaller size would be really nice.
Fairly simple/easy to use interface.
Somewhere in the area of 18+ megapixel as they want to blow up these shots to put up in their house.
Weatherproof/resistant would be ideal
Decent JPEG quality

Anything like wifi or GPS would be a bonus as well for my dad who loves poo poo like that but I would call that a pretty loose constraint.

Budget would be basically anything up to around $1800 (for a kit). If there was a really nice promo right now or something for a kit that included a couple lenses that could be up to $2k or so.

Thanks for reading, anything come to mind for you guys? I know Fuji has some offerings. Yes I saw the $700 fuji package for sale in the buy and sell thread.

e: I should add that we're in Canada and they would likely much much rather buy new than used.

The OMD EM5-II is out and meets a ton of those criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you have 1800 budget, just go to a camera store and get the weight/size combo that fits you.

Look at XT1+1855, EM5II+1240, GX7+1235 or 1240. Don't buy Sony APSC because there is no new body/lens in the last 2 years. Don't buy Canon EOSM and Samsung of course.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

whatever7 posted:

If you have 1800 budget, just go to a camera store and get the weight/size combo that fits you.

Look at XT1+1855, EM5II+1240, GX7+1235 or 1240. Don't buy Sony APSC because there is no new body/lens in the last 2 years. Don't buy Canon EOSM and Samsung of course.

Do this

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

whatever7 posted:

Don't buy Canon EOSM and Samsung of course.

Going to argue against this.

The EOS M10 would probably do what they want to do for $500 with the kit 15-45mm lens. This would leave $1300 to buy the EOS M to EF adapter ($70), a real macro lens (EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - $450) and something fast prime like for night time (EF 35mm f/2 IS USM - $550).

It doesn't do the weatherproofing but does everything else.

It also supports NFC and WiFi.

The M3 is overkill for the requirements list, unless you need the EVF or hot shoe, but there is room in the budget for it. The M3's 18-55mm kit lens is serviceable but not as nice as the new 15-45mm on paper. The M10's autofocus speed is likely to be somewhere between the M1/M2 and M3.

Anyone who suggests blowing all of the budget on camera body and one lens has money to burn. Save money on camera, blow money on lenses, buy new camera later. Plus all the EF/EF-S glass ought to work with a Metabones adapter on an a7R II when Sony somehow puts Canon out of business or whatever weird fantasy ya'll are living comes to fruition.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Requirements include no adapters and good selection of compact native lenses. That's either Olympus/Panasonic or Fuji.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

Requirements include no adapters and good selection of compact native lenses. That's either Olympus/Panasonic or Fuji.
Seriously just buy Bizarro Quik's X-T10 if weather sealing isn't a deal breaker.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Living in Canada the customs to bring that across would make it around the same price as buying it new.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ah right, the Canada thing.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
drat those countries where customs actually inspects incoming packages

Freedom! :911:

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?

VelociBacon posted:

Living in Canada the customs to bring that across would make it around the same price as buying it new.

Not if I mark it worth nothing.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006

Nomenclature posted:

Meh, when the A6000 regularly goes on sale for $450 (or $500 with the 16-50mm kit lens), it's hard to justify recommending anything less. The A6000 has an electronic viewfinder (and trust me, composing shots on a backside screen in bright sunlight sucks) and autofocuses well (which other Sony mirrorless cameras from that generation suck at), and you won't feel compelled to upgrade like I expect you would if you bought a lower end Sony.

Keeping in mind though that I'm in Canada and the a6k body is $600. The a5000 I'm looking at is $315 with the 16-50mm lens. If its worth the extra like $3-400 bones I'll wait and save up or look for a used one maybe. It just seemed like a pretty good deal to get started in this. Or is there maybe a different brand I should try and find a deal on?

dahkren fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 2, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How bad am I going to be ripped off buying an X100T off of eBay from an American seller that's new in box for 1k shipped?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Bizzaro Quik posted:

Not if I mark it worth nothing.

This is a good way to risk your money in the hands of postal service employees who most likely do not care what the hell is in the 900th box they've moved on the last hour of their 14 hour shift.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Phone posted:

How bad am I going to be ripped off buying an X100T off of eBay from an American seller that's new in box for 1k shipped?

Considering they go for $1300 NIB even on Amazon, I'd say something's up with it.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
It's probably grey market is all. Dollar is strong right now. Don't know what Fuji USA does re: grey market stuff. Some companies usually honor warranty , some just make you pay for repairs, and some won't touch the stuff at all.

Edit: Fuji USA says on their website they will service (so they are better than tamron in that regard) but will charge normal out of warranty rates for it.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 2, 2015

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?

Slowhanded posted:

This is a good way to risk your money in the hands of postal service employees who most likely do not care what the hell is in the 900th box they've moved on the last hour of their 14 hour shift.

Never thought about that. Guess it's probably not worth the risk eh.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

timrenzi574 posted:

It's probably grey market is all. Dollar is strong right now. Don't know what Fuji USA does re: grey market stuff. Some companies usually honor warranty , some just make you pay for repairs, and some won't touch the stuff at all.

Fair point.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

dahkren posted:

Keeping in mind though that I'm in Canada and the a6k body is $600. The a5000 I'm looking at is $315 with the 16-50mm lens. If its worth the extra like $3-400 bones I'll wait and save up or look for a used one maybe. It just seemed like a pretty good deal to get started in this. Or is there maybe a different brand I should try and find a deal on?
If those are the prices you're working with, it sounds like you could just buy the a5000 and lens, then sell it for about what you paid for it if you don't like it. Or if you want to upgrade later on, sell it for less and think of it as ~$25 to rent a camera and lens for a few months.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bizzaro Quik posted:

Never thought about that. Guess it's probably not worth the risk eh.

In your entire life, how many packages have you 'lost' in the mail? I've lost like...two. And i lived in West Africa for three years. Who is seriously worried about just losing packages in the mail? Live in a lovely neighborhood and get them nicked off your porch? Sure. But just "lost because post office employees are lazy"? Come on.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

In over 15 years of buying/selling stuff online, I cannot remember the last time I lost something in the mail, if there ever was a time.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Fart Car '97 posted:

In your entire life, how many packages have you 'lost' in the mail? I've lost like...two. And i lived in West Africa for three years. Who is seriously worried about just losing packages in the mail? Live in a lovely neighborhood and get them nicked off your porch? Sure. But just "lost because post office employees are lazy"? Come on.
I don't think he was suggesting it would be lost, I think he was suggesting that after a 14 hour shift, said postal employees aren't going to give a poo poo if they gently hand your box to the next guy or throw it 80 yards off a cliff to the guy standing at the bottom.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Didn't lensrentals Canada cease business because of the number of suspiciously missing packages Canada post was responsible for ?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
My point was about damaged goods during shipping, not losing packages (though that has certainly happened to me multiple times even this past year!) Having two friends who work in the parcel delivery business, I can guarantee you that absolutely no one there cares about the wellbeing of your package regardless of how many FRAGILE stickers you slap on it.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 3, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I'd like a recommendation for a mirrorless for my father and stepmother.

If your dad used to be into film photography, he'd probably like the Fuji stuff the most. XT-10, or XT-1 if weather sealing and durability are a priority. The only other thing you might consider if outfitting an old film user is crop factor; if every focal length being 1.5x tighter than it was on film is going to be an annoyance, then an a7 may be something else to consider. (But Fuji is otherwise much more 'fun' to use)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the recommendations. He wasn't into film photography nearly enough to know what crop factor wold mean. I'll check out the X-1 and X-10, thanks.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. He wasn't into film photography nearly enough to know what crop factor wold mean. I'll check out the X-1 and X-10, thanks.

Fuji does away with the mode dial, and its one of the reasons I love their cameras so much. Wanna shoot aperture priority? Choose aperture on the actual lens ring, while leaving shutter speed on auto. And vice versa. Your parents will quickly get it. Mode dials infuriate me and they are the enemy of simple usability.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

My point was about damaged goods during shipping, not losing packages (though that has certainly happened to me multiple times even this past year!) Having two friends who work in the parcel delivery business, I can guarantee you that absolutely no one there cares about the wellbeing of your package regardless of how many FRAGILE stickers you slap on it.

By your logic you should never ship anything by any means because regardless of how you ship or mark it it's going to get beat up. Packages get beat up in transit, big deal. That's why you cover them in tons of bubble wrap. Camera gear is sturdy. Package it well, it will get there fine and in one piece.

"Bbbbut the post will break it" is a really dumb reason to not buy something.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
What? Did you read my original post? I'm saying you shouldn't mark your packages with $0 value in the worst case that your camera or lens, while traveling across borders and hundreds of miles, may end up broken and you are out of any legal recourse to recoup your losses. Cheating on your import duty forms is a good way to risk losing a ton of money.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Animal posted:

In over 15 years of buying/selling stuff online, I cannot remember the last time I lost something in the mail, if there ever was a time.

I have. A brand new Nexus 5 from google never arrived. I just filled out a form, signed it and got my refund

Serve google right for charging me $30 shipping and not even sending it through half way decent shipping method.

I have not received any demanded phone/camera from ebay. All the lost disputed I filled with ebay were 2-5 dollar cheap pruchases.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 3, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

whatever7 posted:

I have. A brand new Nexus 5 from google never arrived. I just filled out a form, signed it and got my refund

Serve google right for charging me $30 shipping and not even sending it through half way decent shipping method.

I have not received any demanded phone/camera from ebay. All the lost disputed I filled with ebay were 2-5 dollar cheap pruchases.

Only problem I've ever had was ebay sellers who use Lasership (or laser-something) which is just terrible.

Phone posted:

I got a new-ish one with all the accessories off Craigslist for $950 a few months ago.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

red19fire posted:

Only problem I've ever had was ebay sellers who use Lasership (or laser-something) which is just terrible.

I briefly considered canceling my Amazon prime membership during the small period they were using that garbage courier. What a terrible company.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

What? Did you read my original post? I'm saying you shouldn't mark your packages with $0 value in the worst case that your camera or lens, while traveling across borders and hundreds of miles, may end up broken and you are out of any legal recourse to recoup your losses. Cheating on your import duty forms is a good way to risk losing a ton of money.

Yes, I get your point. My point is, the risk is non-existent, because it's 2015 and packages don't really get lost in the mail any more. The estimated lost package rate is <1%, and even then they're just stabbing in the dark because not enough get lost to get a solid estimate. They get beat up a bit, which you can negate by packaging it well.

If you are willing to accept a %0.5-%0.8 chance your package will get lost in transit in order to save money on tariffs to afford gear you otherwise couldn't afford it is a really comically very safe bet that you will be successful. The loss of legal recourse is a risk entirely worth taking. Is there a risk? Yes. But be realistic about it.

Edit: I don't mean to be combative, I'm just trying to point out how low that risk actually is, because I have sent a lot of $0 packages full of expensive stuff and never ever had any issues.

red19fire posted:

I got a new-ish one with all the accessories off Craigslist for $950 a few months ago.

I got a like-new one with a hood and 4 batteries off this very forum for $900 :unsmigghh:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 3, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yes, I get your point. My point is, the risk is non-existent, because it's 2015 and packages don't really get lost in the mail any more. The estimated lost package rate is <1%, and even then they're just stabbing in the dark because not enough get lost to get a solid estimate. They get beat up a bit, which you can negate by packaging it well.

If you are willing to accept a %0.5-%0.8 chance your package will get lost in transit in order to save money on tariffs to afford gear you otherwise couldn't afford it is a really comically very safe bet that you will be successful. The loss of legal recourse is a risk entirely worth taking. Is there a risk? Yes. But be realistic about it.

I got a like-new one with a hood and 4 batteries off this very forum for $900 :unsmigghh:

Lost in the mail? Yeah I agree a nonissue but damaged in the mail is a thing that happens a lot more frequently. I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about something worth $700 being damaged and noone being willing to pay out the insurance on it because you are trying to cheat the tariff. I've marked some used stuff as a bit cheaper when shipping to Canada but never $0.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8th-snype posted:

Lost in the mail? Yeah I agree a nonissue but damaged in the mail is a thing that happens a lot more frequently. I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about something worth $700 being damaged and noone being willing to pay out the insurance on it because you are trying to cheat the tariff. I've marked some used stuff as a bit cheaper when shipping to Canada but never $0.

Its a valid concern. At least ebay offer some buyer protection.

The way I deal with risk is that I go for the cheapest and remotest buyers for cheap gears; for more expense used gears say over $400 I try to buy from reputable large dot com stores that sell on ebay to dodge tax and custom; for $1k or higher items I buy new or from places with good return policy only, that means Adorama used/KEH/Amazon Warehouse/etc.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Why do you keep bringing up 'lost in the mail'? That has literally never been a point of my argument throughout the series of posts. Damage in the mail is real phenomenon, and it absolutely happens, considerably more than most people think.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

8th-snype posted:

My monitor got busted on its way to me after I moved back in April, and I am *still* fighting with USPS to get reimbursed on the insurance I paid for. It's such a pain in the rear end; I'll still use it for selling stuff, but I honestly can't see myself ever bothering to insure my own property again.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

Why do you keep bringing up 'lost in the mail'? That has literally never been a point of my argument throughout the series of posts. Damage in the mail is real phenomenon, and it absolutely happens, considerably more than most people think.

That's really easy to prevent, though. As long as you double box with padding in both boxes, I can't imagine something arriving damaged, unless somebody runs the package over or something.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Do any of you guys own an X-E1? I've been looking online at X-E2 prices and happened to notice that the X-E1 is consistently $250-500 AUD cheaper than the X-E2 and X-Pro1. The cheapest I've seen an X-E1 is $300 vs the X-E2 at $550 and the X-Pro1 at $700.

How is the X-E1 as of the latest firmware? My use case is mainly nature and landscapes, along with the usual day to day shooting. I do want to adapt some M42 lenses though - how is the focus peaking?

Appreciate any insight! It seems like the X-E1 has kind of flown under the radar.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The X-E1 is still a great sensor but its autofocus is slow as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Besides the cool hybrid electronic/optical viewfinder, are there any significant differences between the X-E1 and X-Pro1? And how about the first and second generation X-trans sensors? Does the second gen have better image quality ( ISO, dynamic range, etc) or is it simply a matter of better on-sensor AF?