Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've been hearing a lot of complaints (whether they are founded or not, I don't know) that the game has been made much more shallow. ie less buildings, streamlining of the transport system which makes setting up production chains brainless, and other things like that. Does any of that make sense, or is it people just complaining because it's different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Node posted:

I've been hearing a lot of complaints (whether they are founded or not, I don't know) that the game has been made much more shallow. ie less buildings, streamlining of the transport system which makes setting up production chains brainless, and other things like that. Does any of that make sense, or is it people just complaining because it's different?

It certainly feels easier to do things than it did in Anno 2070; Supply is now a simple surplus/deficit for most things, no actual storage required save for construction parts. Supply chains don't really exist anymore. I've not gotten very far in, but I am worried that the lack of randomly generated islands is going to curb my long-term enjoyment of it because what the hell else am I going to do once I have the islands "solved"?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Rhjamiz posted:

construction parts. Supply chains don't really exist anymore. I've not gotten very far in, but I am worried that the lack of randomly generated islands

Uh

That is kind of concerning

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Node posted:

Actually, the simplification of the transport system makes things quick and easy. It lets you see the immediate feedback of everything you do as you play the game, so no more going "will this factory meet my citizen's needs for back scratchers?" It's an immediate response. And I can see why they did it on another level too: it removes the needs for traffic agents. Remember, all sectors are active at once, so the game would have to be trying to figure out if all the agents are getting from point A to point B on up to 9 maps that aren't loaded.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Node posted:

Uh

That is kind of concerning

Well, let me clarify. Like, you still need widgets to make wadgets to make bread, or whatever. But it's nothing like previous Annos where you've got a fleet shipping goods across the map and just barely keeping the stock up in order to fuel your apple factory because apples don't grow on your home island. Instead the buildings tell you how much they produce and consume and you build exactly what you need and it all happens instantly. Fertilitys don't exist, resources are not limited.

So while multi-step products exist you'll never really be struggling to maintain that balance of productivity because the game spells it out for you in green and red arrows.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Actually, the simplification of the transport system makes things quick and easy. It lets you see the immediate feedback of everything you do as you play the game, so no more going "will this factory meet my citizen's needs for back scratchers?" It's an immediate response. And I can see why they did it on another level too: it removes the needs for traffic agents. Remember, all sectors are active at once, so the game would have to be trying to figure out if all the agents are getting from point A to point B on up to 9 maps that aren't loaded.

Yeah this is accurate. Whether or not I like it, I do not know. We'll see how much longevity the game has, I guess.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhjamiz posted:

Well, let me clarify. Like, you still need widgets to make wadgets to make bread, or whatever. But it's nothing like previous Annos where you've got a fleet shipping goods across the map and just barely keeping the stock up in order to fuel your apple factory because apples don't grow on your home island. Instead the buildings tell you how much they produce and consume and you build exactly what you need and it all happens instantly. Fertilitys don't exist, resources are not limited.

So while multi-step products exist you'll never really be struggling to maintain that balance of productivity because the game spells it out for you in green and red arrows.

This is one of the big things drawing me in as a potential newbie to the series. Looks like it's very easy to tell at a glance whether you're producing enough of each good and how much you're currently making versus demand. I couldn't help but get a bit annoyed at Quill's video when he was running a deficit for water.

I wonder, though, if there's a particularly good reason to do anything other than the islands with the ark first. That sector quest rewards rare materials, which seems much more valuable for starting a campaign than the dam, and the one island seems to be for an ornamental, which while nice feels like something to do later in the campaign.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pierson posted:

If you click on the quest marker on the upper-left corner of the screen the items will be pinged on the minimap.

It doesn't highlight it for me by the way. Still looking for boats of divers and weather balloons.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
God drat it do NOT exit the military conflict zones without finishing them. it doesn't autosave your progress, and hosed if I can figure out a manual save file process.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I feel like I've hit a death spiral in the arctic. I'm barely running a profit, and it seems like any building I make to stay afloat just manage to keep supplies at a constant but my balance is sinking hard into the red. Should I head back to the temperate area and get that running a healthy profit to balance out the arctic hellhole?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kammat posted:

I feel like I've hit a death spiral in the arctic. I'm barely running a profit, and it seems like any building I make to stay afloat just manage to keep supplies at a constant but my balance is sinking hard into the red. Should I head back to the temperate area and get that running a healthy profit to balance out the arctic hellhole?

Yes, the temperate zone is where you make your money. Everything else is pretty much to feed that.

So, has anyone else gotten to the moon? These upkeep costs are getting loving crazy!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pylons posted:

Yes, the temperate zone is where you make your money. Everything else is pretty much to feed that.

So, has anyone else gotten to the moon? These upkeep costs are getting loving crazy!

That matches what SnS said in his video: you go to the moon and the arctic for resources, you go to the temperate zone to make money and house population.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Hmm, I think this game may have a wee memory leak. Game started running increasingly terribly as time went on, but quitting and restarting the game made everything nice and silky smooth again.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Pylons posted:

I got to the moon. Important part is you can just go back to your main city and expand it, you dont have to do every mission as soon as it pops up

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Do you get at least 30fps?

WIth my city filling the view, it's 15 FPS at ultra high. 35 very high, 60 high, 87 medium, 125 low.

To be honest, for my card, it's the shader. Using default "ultra high" setting with vsync off and changing shader from "ultra high" to "very high" took me from 15 FPS to 32. 39 if I take anisotropic filtering from 8x to 4x. This is probably what I'll end up playing with.

...I was going to go to bed an hour ago. Thanks for making me fire it up to check.

I will say this, though: USE THE MODULES. They are by FAR more efficient than building another building. And take note that there are both production and modification modules with separate limits. Make good use of them because that energy deficit you've got? Yeah, tack on a couple -energy modules and boom, back up to a surplus.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 3, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, modules are absolutely ridiculous in how loving good they are. I love it. Lets you get some much more interesting looking production facilities going, too.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Is the Gold edition / Season Pass worth it? I'm not sure what having more sectors actually means wrt game integration, particularly in production chains. Are they just extra islands? Do they have their own products? Like do your citizens get extra needs for Tundra and Orbital goods if you have the DLC? Are they just cosmetic? It doesn't seem like something that should be DLC given how Anno games are supposed to work.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

From looking over the season pass, it looks like the new Tundra sector might add some new production chains, while the new Orbit sector looks like it might let you undertake research projects like the Techs in 2070. Just spitballing, though.

edit: They're definitely extra islands, also.

edit2: In case anyone was wondering, high-level supply chains are still both massive and stupidly shaped. Have fun!! :shepface:

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 3, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, yeah, I just lost a good 5 or so hours of my life playing this game.

Good Anno game.

Also, is it just me or do the pastures to create beef for luxury meals come oddly shaped to create the perfect spot to plonk down a pair of energy accumulators to help cut down their absurd energy budget?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Been playing since I got home. Was worried about the simplification of the logistics, but so far I don't miss it at all. And the fact that you can move buildings makes me far less frustrated when I setup a city in a less than sperg-perfect pattern. Between that, modules, and the different sizes of residential buildings, I'm finding my cities grow / look more organic than they did in 2070.

And gawrsh, it shore is purty :allears:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Something I love in the Arctic region is that production modules actually expand the heat radius. It's probably the most "efficient" to build your factories in long chains so you can place houses on either side.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Holy poo poo the moon gets expensive to build on.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Heard a rumour that people buying from key sites are being hit by strange bugs like NPC voice files not working. Any truth to this?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Still no GreenManGaming key :( Anyone else have any joy?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It took me way too long to figure out how to sell excess materials. You need to make a trade route from the source sector to the dude on the station.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

paint dry posted:

Heard a rumour that people buying from key sites are being hit by strange bugs like NPC voice files not working. Any truth to this?
You mean like they know exactly who installs with a key site and give them a special made broken version of the game instead of just making the key invalid?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

Still no GreenManGaming key :( Anyone else have any joy?

They just tweeted this:

quote:

@GreenManGaming
Anno 2205 Update: We're still awaiting keys. As soon as we receive them today we'll be sending them out. Thanks for your patience.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

canepazzo posted:

They just tweeted this:

Ugh, thanks for the info. I should have just waited till it was on sale but that money off made it a little more attractive.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

metasynthetic posted:

Been playing since I got home. Was worried about the simplification of the logistics, but so far I don't miss it at all. And the fact that you can move buildings makes me far less frustrated when I setup a city in a less than sperg-perfect pattern. Between that, modules, and the different sizes of residential buildings, I'm finding my cities grow / look more organic than they did in 2070.

And gawrsh, it shore is purty :allears:
The first half hour of play for me was like "poo poo, I'm not sure about this", but the next four hours were spent playing the most intense building tetris of any Anno just to keep the funds up to get a foothold on the moon while constantly dismissing tutorial quests to make more modules and never-ending nag reminders to come play the optional combat quests.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Been playing for a few hours and just reached the arctic. Loving it so far and the building modules system is great. I reckon its going to get pretty complex once huge populations and multiple islands come into play. Anyone confirm/deny?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I do wish it would tell you the maintenance cost for buildings and factories before you place them, as well as the credit and resource cost. Very shocking moment to plop down a basic community centre and see all my positive cashflow sucked away.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The problem with the last Anno was needing a calculator and spreadsheet to be optimal. This game fixes that and it's only a good thing.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Asciana posted:

Been playing for a few hours and just reached the arctic. Loving it so far and the building modules system is great. I reckon its going to get pretty complex once huge populations and multiple islands come into play. Anyone confirm/deny?

Definite confirm, once your population passes 100,000 things get very interesting as you make a minor trade route tweak and goggle as your cashflow suddenly drops to -35000.

edit: speaking of which, I laughed a non-zero amount upon learning that the Tycoons went bankrupt almost immediately after 2070

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 3, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Reading along, it looks like I should really get this game,

but the priceeeeee :(

also, no random islands makes me sad. It was part of every Anno game till now, I don't think I'm ready to say goodbye

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I love the separation of combat into its own little (optional) missions, it was always the weakest part of 2070 and it shows they really took that feedback into account. And gosh, what a pretty game.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Man this game sounds so good from reading this thread. I have so many hours in the Anno series. What a horrible week to have to move and be without Internet access.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man I really love how its a bit more abstracted with the chains, game flows so good now. and gently caress its pretty.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews on Steam. Is it typical "streamlined?? NERD RAGE" kind of thing?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Probably. I mean, it just feels better plopping 2 farms down, you instantly see you have +16 production, plop one factory that needs 16 production, bam, factory starts making GBS threads out whatever. and it's just based off demand, so you'll never have like, 50 fruit drinks sitting in a warehouse and getting the full exclamation points over your farms and stuff, it just says "oh currently you need 20 fruit drink production to satisfy your population, and youre producing 30" and you just see a +10 in your warehouse, which will slowly go down as you build out more. You'll hit -1, -2 etc until you build another.

I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Pooned posted:

I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews on Steam. Is it typical "streamlined?? NERD RAGE" kind of thing?

There's more than a few "0.1 hours playtime - NO MULTIPLAYER, 0/10" reviews, as well as the "dumbed down game farmville kiddies" crowd (also with at most 2 hours of playtime).

• Locked thread