Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

Is 6x enough to get through the story without having to do any side quests/planetary quests?

If you throw in some flashpoints, then probably. I was averaging 2 levels per flashpoint in the 40's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
You get 6x xp in flashpoints?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
why the gently caress are all the old flashpoints tacticals now

that doesn't work at all, you can't run four DPS through hammer station

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Thumbtacks posted:

You get 6x xp in flashpoints?

I think the whole 6x xp thing was a misnomer, you get boatloads of XP from everything now, even heroics, because of level scaling.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The Gree quests are the "planet" quests. I remember them being marked in purple when i did them. The only problem is, they're kind of off the beaten track. You still have to find the room where the Gree droids hang out, and not every class quest takes you right near there.

Yeah, they were purple for me on my new knight too, they just aren't pointed to directly.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Is 6x enough to get through the story without having to do any side quests/planetary quests?

I just ran 1-65 in under two days /played just doing the class and planetary quests. Threw in the heroics, daily flashpoints and war zones admittedly, but I was 65 before I hit Tatooine. I like the levelling now. Less worry about having to gear up every now and again like with 12xp.

Hitting 60-65 that early means you get a lot of those Alliance chests too, if you are doing heroics.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Flashpoints & heroics are insanely quick xp. You don't need to touch planetary quests to level. Pick one of the three to do along with class quests and you'll be comfortably on level throughout.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Picked Black Hole for conquest. Warzone it up!

Edit - And as a pleasant surprise, one of my characters got not only his weekly conquest award for the guild, but another reward for hitting personal. Easy million thanks to a bug there. :D

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

What are the 2 goon guilds again? Are there threads in PGS for them to ask for invites?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Orgophlax posted:

What are the 2 goon guilds again? Are there threads in PGS for them to ask for invites?

Look at one of the first two posts in the thread.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Medullah posted:

Look at one of the first two posts in the thread.

You know, I read through both last night and somehow completely missed it. Thanks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Orgophlax posted:

You know, I read through both last night and somehow completely missed it. Thanks.

No worries, I tried to simplify the posts this time but they can still be a bit overwhelming for someone new heh.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Picked Black Hole for conquest. Warzone it up!

Edit - And as a pleasant surprise, one of my characters got not only his weekly conquest award for the guild, but another reward for hitting personal. Easy million thanks to a bug there. :D

Barely 2 hours in and Holocron is already at 1.5 million conquest points :stare:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

Barely 2 hours in and Holocron is already at 1.5 million conquest points :stare:

I think a prereq for joining them is "must not have job, girlfriend/boyfriend, or indeed any social obligations whatsoever".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

I think crafting is repeatable this week so there will be quite a few super high scores.

Alter Ego posted:

I think a prereq for joining them is "must not have job, girlfriend, or indeed any social obligations whatsoever".

Later guys off to join Holocrooooon

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I started playing again this week after not playing since launch. Decided to play a Juggernaut since my launch character was a Sage. I read a bit about leveling and how streamlined and easy it is now, so I figured I'd play as Immortal and just AOE tank my way through PvE with Vette's completely overpowered healing. I guess I was getting 100 cartel coins a month because I have a security key attached to my account, so I have 4k coins to waste. Seems like its going to be fun to check out all the changes...

... Except when I joined a warzone and got yelled at for being an "idiot loving lowbie tank in a warzone human being". Some things never change. (We won the match and I was close to the top in kills)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is it possible to duo any Operations? And if so, are they worth doing?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Prophecy120 posted:

I started playing again this week after not playing since launch. Decided to play a Juggernaut since my launch character was a Sage. I read a bit about leveling and how streamlined and easy it is now, so I figured I'd play as Immortal and just AOE tank my way through PvE with Vette's completely overpowered healing. I guess I was getting 100 cartel coins a month because I have a security key attached to my account, so I have 4k coins to waste. Seems like its going to be fun to check out all the changes...

... Except when I joined a warzone and got yelled at for being an "idiot loving lowbie tank in a warzone human being". Some things never change. (We won the match and I was close to the top in kills)

You can AOE tank your way through the whole thing with Vette's completely overpowered DPS, too. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Prophecy120 posted:

Yeah Warzones are always going to be filled with idiots who give people crap for being low leveled, not bolstered properly, etc.

I personally don't care about that but I will scream loudly at you if you're off to the side death matching when a node is being capped, etc.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Prophecy120 posted:

Step 1 for any MMO ever in the history of MMO's: Leave General/Zone/World/whatever chat.

You will never miss anything worthwhile at all. Ever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What do you guys suggest as the best way to spend cartel coins gained from a subscription?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

Yeah Warzones are always going to be filled with idiots who give people crap for being low leveled, not bolstered properly, etc.

I personally don't care about that but I will scream loudly at you if you're off to the side death matching when a node is being capped, etc.

How do you even have time? I barely have time to type anything in ops chat except "inc 2 grass"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

poptart_fairy posted:

What do you guys suggest as the best way to spend cartel coins gained from a subscription?

Zero-cooldown quick travel.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alter Ego posted:

How do you even have time? I barely have time to type anything in ops chat except "inc 2 grass"

if it's anything like WoW PVP. Once your side is losing there are people who will just stop playing, sit at the spawn, and badmouth other people for not doing their jobs right.

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015

Kurieg posted:

if it's anything like WoW PVP. Once your side is losing there are people who will just stop playing, sit at the spawn, and badmouth other people for not doing their jobs right.

This happens almost every time. People give up when there is even a threat of losing. It's dumb. It's almost always in broken English too, which really makes it a good time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SumTingWong posted:

This happens almost every time. People give up when there is even a threat of losing. It's dumb. It's almost always in broken English too, which really makes it a good time.

If you're at risk of losing, it's better to stop trying, so you can say "hey, I wasn't even trying" to soothe your ego. :downs:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

SWTOR PVP, courtesy of Drunkengarbagecan:

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015

Hulk Smash! posted:

This seems especially true in GSF lately.

It's like there is a dedicated GSF group out there that is communicating with each other telepathically. It gets really old, really fast.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Finally the game allowed me to use referral without errors, so here it is for whoever feels magananimous
http://www.swtor.com/r/M8GcX6

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Telex posted:

Step 1 for any MMO ever in the history of MMO's: Leave General/Zone/World/whatever chat.

You will never miss anything worthwhile at all. Ever.

It's trickier in PVP though, because to ignore the assholes you need to turn off ops chat, which means you're no longer able to read the odd bit of useful chat that comes through (like "node is under attack pls help"). You have to ignore them the old fashioned way by having a thick skin. If i had one of those I'd go outside and talk to real people!

Hulk Smash! posted:

Do we still have the screenshot of the level 50 Sith Warrior with no advanced class in PVP? Maybe it's even in the OP I have images off

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ah that reminds me, I haven't posted this in a while. Extremely helpful in PvP because I can literally see almost the entire warzone, super valuable in operation fights like Soa and Bulo where you need to see the whole field.

By default, the game only allows a maximum zoom out of like 100%. By editing your .ini file, you can extend that. Instructions -

quote:

I looked around in the INI files and saw the max camera distance and decided to manually change it. The result was a doubling and even tripling of the maximum camera distance. When you have it set to maximum in the UI settings, the INI file shows that as a value of 25.

So to be clear, ini value of 25 = 100% camera distance according to the UI settings. That means changing the value to 50 inside the INI file would give you a 200% max camera distance. You can manually edit that to a much higher value and get the camera to pan way back. This is excellent for PVP since you can pretty much see the whole map. The majority of WoW players do something similar to this, and it makes for a much better gaming experience.

Make sure the game is NOT open, since the file may be in use or revert back once you close the game. This is for Windows 7 and Vista users only, since Windows XP puts it in a different place. To do this you need to find this folder:
C:\Users\YourProfileName\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Obviously, YourProfileName is whatever your Windows profile name is, which is most likely your name or your pet name for your manhood. Whatever, I am not here to judge you on your Windows user name.

The AppData folder is hidden since it's a system folder, so you can either manually type that folder address into your RUN command line or change your Windows Explorer settings to show hidden folders.

Then find the file named: LoginName_Account.iniand open it.

For example, if your login name is DarthBumpkin then the file will be DarthBumpkin_Account.ini.

After opening the file look for the line that says:Controls_CameraMaxDistance = 25.0

Change that 25.0 to something else like 50.0 or even 75.0. Make sure to keep it as decimal number (ie Don't take the .0 off at the end, because I'm sure the game is looking for it. I don't want to be responsible for game clients crashing.)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's trickier in PVP though, because to ignore the assholes you need to turn off ops chat, which means you're no longer able to read the odd bit of useful chat that comes through (like "node is under attack pls help"). You have to ignore them the old fashioned way by having a thick skin. If i had one of those I'd go outside and talk to real people!

Do we still have the screenshot of the level 50 Sith Warrior with no advanced class in PVP? Maybe it's even in the OP I have images off

It came complete with chatlogs where people were going "Why haven't you picked an advanced class STUPID NOOB". Hilarious.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Well I just opened the worst hypercrate ever. No gold items at all. Seriously, what happened to that platinum pack from the last shipment, where you were guaranteed a gold item, even if 99% of the time it was a belt that sells on the GTN for less than 4k credits? I can't imagine how frustrated someone would have been with this hypercrate if they had spent actual money on it.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Are there any reputable places to get cheap keys for this? I'm seeing places offering game time for like $3-$6 but uh... yeah.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Orgophlax posted:

Are there any reputable places to get cheap keys for this? I'm seeing places offering game time for like $3-$6 but uh... yeah.

..Keys?

It's a F2P Game, you can use someone else's referral link to get a 7 day free trial, and any amount of money spent on the in game market will get you "Preferred" Status. the bonuses from the referral link will put you at a level just below an actual subscriber in terms of your preferred status.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

For $15 you can get 30 days of game time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amazon has a nice pack for $40 but if you mean cheap rather than just good value, I don't think there are any other options.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Berke Negri posted:

For $15 you can get 30 days of game time.
I'm talking about time cards, yeah. But $15/30 is the standard rate.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Occasionally Amazon will have the 60 day physical game cards for under $30. About a year ago I bought a few at $18 each. If you want to jump on those deals, I recommend getting a service that will allow you to set a price alert, something like camelcamelcamel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Played around with the Akk Dog a bit. Seems to be pretty powerful, even at low influences. It's also a good companion to boost if you have piles upon piles of green Jawa junk, since you can buy Rank 6 green artwork which Akk Dog loves (assuming because he can eat it and wreck it). I used 114 green Jawa junk and got him to 17 influence.

Sucks that they can't craft (though logical), but seems to be a pretty powerful combat companion. Heal stance has a cleanse, which I'm not sure if other heal companions do, to be honest.

• Locked thread