Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

No snatchers, I haven't paid too close of attention to frequency, partly because I've been having to wait them out because I hadn't really trained up a military because I'm not used to getting sieges.

Also, they now have trained up decent well and outfitted in steel, and undead are loving deadly. Quicksaving and then sending them all to their death was pretty fun.

Also I really like my building destroyer proof caravan accessible airlock. Forbid two doors when something shows up and I'm safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Goddamnit I have 10 tabs with the DF wiki open ATM.

Anyway: I've managed to embark a good portion of Noah's Arc population, one chunk of meat at a time. I assume the best way to free barrels is to start preparing meals with the meat (can I choose what to use?) so all the meals stack inside a barrel and leave the others free for eggs and mushrooms?

EDIT: Also, if a stockpile is full, will dwarves carry a bin there and pack something in the bin, or is this an example of the kind lateral thinking dorfs are not very good at?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 3, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fat Samurai posted:

I assume the best way to free barrels is to start preparing meals with the meat (can I choose what to use?) so all the meals stack inside a barrel and leave the others free for eggs and mushrooms?

EDIT: Also, if a stockpile is full, will dwarves carry a bin there and pack something in the bin, or is this an example of the kind lateral thinking dorfs are not very good at?

Without DFHack's help, you can only permit or ban specific ingredients. Cooking would work packing things together, but you can also empty barrels manually by designating everything inside to be dumped. As long as you reclaim the now-sitting-in-a-garbage-dump-zone foodstuff before it rots, you're good. However, you can only move solid objects this way. There's no coherent way to transfer or combine booze, milk or other liquids between barrels.

You don't have to store solid stuff or prepared meals inside barrels, though. As long as it's properly kept in stockpiles, it'll keep.

If your stockpile is allowed to use bins (say, up to 3), the first thing that'll happen is that somebody will lug an empty bin to the scene. Everything that goes in that stockpile will then be stuffed into that one bin until it's full, at which point a second one is hauled over. The rest of the stockpile area will only be used when all three bins are completely stuffed or if they can't find more than two.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
There isn't much point in messing around trying to bring as many free barrels as possible though, at least for normal embarks. Wood is plentiful in most places now, and you could always make rock pots if you're short on wood.

Speaking of, can I set up workflow to make sure there are X number of *unused* things of a certain type? Barrels, bins, weapons, armour, chairs etc? Whether I need to make more of things like that usually depends on how many I have lying unused in stockpiles, not how many I have in total.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

When they get used they are taken out of the workflow amount. basically it already only tracks how many you have lying around, not how many in total.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

scamtank posted:

Without DFHack's help,
Only external tool I'm using so far is DwarfTherapist. How useful/difficult to learn is DFHack?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fat Samurai posted:

Only external tool I'm using so far is DwarfTherapist. How useful/difficult to learn is DFHack?

The only problem I've had with DFhack so far has been actually remembering all the commands you can use or finding them in a neat organized place.

But poo poo like Autobutcher or Autolabor are invaluable for a fortress with a large livestock/workforce population

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I'd say it's about as hard to learn to use as the act of loading up dwarf fortress.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would go so far as to say no dwarf fortress utility is harder to learn than dwarf fortress.

I am on my third year of being a clueless newbie about dorf fort. I aspire to one day become a Novice Overseer.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Are you capable of reading? Can you handle typing commands into a console? Then you can use dfhack.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Someday I'll really get down to water and lava works besides basic channeling, but for now I prefer to run a simple medieval style fortress that relies on manpower.

DFHack is pretty great for removing garbage, cleaning tiles and getting rid of little things that can kill the game's speed.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Trundel posted:

Someday I'll really get down to water and lava works besides basic channeling, but for now I prefer to run a simple medieval style fortress that relies on manpower.

Every time I get the pumps set up or have a magma piston in the works, poo poo happens which makes the fort basically unplayable even with utilities. It's frustrating! I want to have loads of machines!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

420 Gank Mid posted:

The only problem I've had with DFhack so far has been actually remembering all the commands you can use or finding them in a neat organized place.

But poo poo like Autobutcher or Autolabor are invaluable for a fortress with a large livestock/workforce population

For what it's worth here's the DFhack readme with all the commands:

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack

I think there might be some commands from plugins that come with DFHack that aren't in there but it'll cover 95% of your needs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

How can I make the selected option in a menu more noticeable? White over slightly dirtier white doesn't contrast too well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

scamtank posted:

Without DFHack's help, you can only permit or ban specific ingredients. Cooking would work packing things together, but you can also empty barrels manually by designating everything inside to be dumped. As long as you reclaim the now-sitting-in-a-garbage-dump-zone foodstuff before it rots, you're good.
If you put the garbage dump zone on a tile of food stockpile doesn't the food not rot?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I think that's right, yeah.

As an aside curveball, enabling Refuse categories in that stockpile does make stuff decay.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
How long do bones/skeletons take to decay? Or worn out clothing, for that matter? It seems to take forever.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Just sitting on the floor, I think worn clothes will keep forever. I only figured out by accident that finagling the stuff into refuse stockpiles made them decay.

I've seen bones vanish on their own even from outdoors, but it's inconsistent. I think vermin exposure or lack thereof has a big impact. The fastest I've seen it happen took a month or few.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

scamtank posted:

I think that's right, yeah.

As an aside curveball, enabling Refuse categories in that stockpile does make stuff decay.

drat, my master plan of making dwarves hesitant to eat by putting their food in a rotting miasma pit, thus increasing efficiency, is foiled!

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Yeah but if the food all rots away, the dwarves won't stop working to eat. Win-win!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

scamtank posted:

Just sitting on the floor, I think worn clothes will keep forever. I only figured out by accident that finagling the stuff into refuse stockpiles made them decay.

I've seen bones vanish on their own even from outdoors, but it's inconsistent. I think vermin exposure or lack thereof has a big impact. The fastest I've seen it happen took a month or few.

drat. Guess I'll keep selling those shitted up garments, then.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
'cleanowned scattered' in DFHack will mark all the random clothes strewn everywhere for dumping and you can add 'x' or 'X' as arguments to the end of that command to make it only affect items with at least that level of wear.

Easier than marking every random bit of clothing yourself.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Oops I remembered DF exists and downloaded it again. Haven't played since trees were still just 1 tile.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

'cleanowned scattered' in DFHack will mark all the random clothes strewn everywhere for dumping and you can add 'x' or 'X' as arguments to the end of that command to make it only affect items with at least that level of wear.

Easier than marking every random bit of clothing yourself.

and if you're just sick of tattered clothing, you can then type "autodump destroy" and poof, it's gone forever! note: this will also destroy anything marked for dumping

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Okay so my modded race, the Ykol(sorta like a foul blendec without the foul) are coming along nicely. I more or less got them where they should be. They got all the right body parts and their civ is functional (they seem to be always at odds with elves). Still need to fine tune it and learn some more. The men are supposed to have the generated beards and right now its not showing what their body size or musculature is. Still hard to mod this game.

Also learned that if you cant generate a world with a playable civ it will keep throwing the worlds away. Got to 100 worlds rejected before it asked if I wanted to continue.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Asproigerosis posted:

Oops I remembered DF exists and downloaded it again. Haven't played since trees were still just 1 tile.

I started playing again too lately but am kind of stuck in a world-genning loop to try and make one with ideal caverns.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really excited for the tavern stuff and being able to maybe have non-dwarf fort citizens integrated properly so I keep genning worlds and playing for a night then losing interest for a few days before starting a new one.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I managed to generate a world where one dwarfen civilization is ruled by a dwarf necromancer king, and the other is ruled by a night groom of evil or something. These people were made king in the first decade of the world and have ruled since, the necromancer king even established a tower while being king.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

How prioritary is my textile industry? Setting it up with my first wave of migrants seems like a huge pain in the rear end, specially because I want to get a metal industry going at the same time. Will the fort implode in a pile of worn rags or can I putter on for a year or so with whatever I can get from caravans?

Also, will dwarves take clothes from wherever when they need them, or do I have to check whether a particular dwarf is missing her left sock?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

It will take a bit before their initial clothing wears out. I'd start growing Pig Tails with the rest of farming up front, but the actual production chain can certainly wait. They will automatically dress themselves with available clothing.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm such a protectionist ball of autism that I don't like seeing any (parentheses) around the stuff my people wear.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Buschmaki posted:

I managed to generate a world where one dwarfen civilization is ruled by a dwarf necromancer king, and the other is ruled by a night groom of evil or something. These people were made king in the first decade of the world and have ruled since, the necromancer king even established a tower while being king.

:stonklol: I didn't even know necromancer king was possible....

What happens when he comes to your fort? Does he raise your dead? If so, are they hostile?

Edit: Nevermind, found on the wiki that the undead are in fact still hostile.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 5, 2015

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What's it like to embark near a necromancers tower anyway, can you "kill" the undead? I did it by accident once before i knew about them and my military fought a reanimated hand for around one year before someone lobbed it into a lake where it froze. Then the lake thawed in the spring and THE HAND CAME BACK ALIVE and nobody would go near the lake, i proceeded to laugh like a idiot for a few solid minutes and then restart my fort somewhere where there was no necromancer.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well you have to kill the necromancer but yeah in the last updates toady made it so body parts could get pulped/destroyed to prevent endless undead rebirth. It's still hard to kill them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Can I convince my stupid miners to follow a vein of coal al the way through somehow?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yes, by designating every tile!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fat Samurai posted:

Can I convince my stupid miners to follow a vein of coal al the way through somehow?

If you're using dfhack you can select a tile of the vein and enter "digv" as a command

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you're using dfhack you can select a tile of the vein and enter "digv" as a command

Isnt automining a vein built into the base game now?

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Telsa Cola posted:

Isnt automining a vein built into the base game now?

yeah it's under submenu q but you have to press D and then little d and then h and then x and then back up one level and select an area over the vein and then press r a bunch of times and then depending on the position of the sun relative to the moon and the number of pizza rolls left in this bag you're poo poo out of luck

no there isn't an automining function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

How prioritary is my textile industry? Setting it up with my first wave of migrants seems like a huge pain in the rear end, specially because I want to get a metal industry going at the same time. Will the fort implode in a pile of worn rags or can I putter on for a year or so with whatever I can get from caravans?

Also, will dwarves take clothes from wherever when they need them, or do I have to check whether a particular dwarf is missing her left sock?

Just make everybody wear leather dresses.