Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i watched those leaked videos just now and i don't see any shadows. what's up with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Old Story posted:

is there an easy way to cancel steam pre-orders? I will buy this game but not at full price.

There are several non-Steam vendors who are selling it at a discount. I got it for $40 at cdkeys, and think that greenmangaming has had it at a similar price if you can dig up a working discount code.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

botany posted:

i watched those leaked videos just now and i don't see any shadows. what's up with that.

The second to latest one (the one with all the ghouls) has the pip-boy flashlight on for most of it, and that is still a really crappy flashlight mechanics that fucks with shadows. If you look at the newest video that was posted where he's wandering around at night there are clearly shadows around. Seems like pipboy light is still total garbage.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Noyemi K posted:

Can someone explain this?

https://twitter.com/bert_andernie/status/587975053825990657

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Infinity Gaia posted:

The second to latest one (the one with all the ghouls) has the pip-boy flashlight on for most of it, and that is still a really crappy flashlight mechanics that fucks with shadows. If you look at the newest video that was posted where he's wandering around at night there are clearly shadows around. Seems like pipboy light is still total garbage.

That's not it, in the video you're talking about trees and even enemies have shadows while he's outside. But inside nothing seems to have a shadow, which is really weird.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
well the lip syncing is bad but i guess they had to make room for the sub par graphics. the animation is terrible but i guess they needed all the space they could get for the absolutely huge map. All in all, good games are literally unable to be created and we should count our blessings that this is mediocre. God bless you Bethesda, you and your now real time looting.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

botany posted:

That's not it, in the video you're talking about trees and even enemies have shadows while he's outside. But inside nothing seems to have a shadow, which is really weird.

Maybe Bethesda is still crap at lighting. Maybe it's a console limitation. Possibly both. Hard to say for certain, but yeah, I definitely noticed no shadows indoors.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Maybe it's a console limitation.

Given the overall lack of fidelity it seems more fair to assess it as a Bethesda limitation. Lots of bone and ps4 titles seem to manage some impressive lighting displays. I find it hard to believe that their gameworld is somehow taxing enough that lighting has to be turned down on interior cells because of hardware problems.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I think i'm going to have trouble reading all the tiny text on the screen, what with all the stats, weapons, tips and stuff.

Game looks ugly but i'm still getting it on ps4. I only ever played New Vegas but that was pretty cool.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

botany posted:

They needed to leave something for the modders

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So like, everytime bethesda releases a new game are people surprised that it's crap or how does this usually go?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

NecroMonster posted:

So like, everytime bethesda releases a new game are people surprised that it's crap or how does this usually go?

Denial (well im not asking it to be the best)
Anger (this actually blows)
Depression (gently caress why did i spend money on this)
Bargaining (ill use mods and DLC to make it better
Acceptance (Fallout 5 wont be as bad)

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

The Worst Muslim posted:

Acceptance (Fallout 5 wont be as bad)

Isn't that just bargaining again

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Acceptance is when the game is actually good with DLC and mods.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Perfect Potato posted:

Isn't that just bargaining again

Can't bargain with death or Todd Howard

Can't be emphasized enough though that the bone and PS4 are both middle end AMD builds from 2009 or so. That's what every cross-platform game has to work with.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Worst Muslim posted:

well the lip syncing is bad but i guess they had to make room for the sub par graphics. the animation is terrible but i guess they needed all the space they could get for the absolutely huge map. All in all, good games are literally unable to be created and we should count our blessings that this is mediocre. God bless you Bethesda, you and your now real time looting.

tl:dr

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I have pretty weird preferences because all this graphics and animations stuff doesn't faze me at all. I can see that they're bad but it doesn't seem to make me any less interested in the game. I guess I was already expecting them to be bad. All I really need is the fact that the shooting looks alright and that there's a big world to run around in. Then if I find an NPC that's Bethesda-level annoying, I can just kill them and go my way. It Just Works

also I saw this in a gameplay video and thought it looked cool

Here's what it's from, it'll go down soon though. I think it was linked earlier, too.

http://a.uguu.se/mmzewz.mp4

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Important: Can you rotate the loading screen images?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Liking the Mateba stylings over the webley look of the previous titles if that's the 44.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

I've been ignoring this thread's decent into retardation for the past ~500 posts but i'm glad I clicked this link. I was hoping the retro Boston T would make it into this game.

gently caress waiting for Amazon to ship things, I'm going to pre-order this again on Steam.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i'm the guy who aims down sights with a god drat flamethrower

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

NecroMonster posted:

Every time they announce a new Bethesda game goons piss all over themselves about how bad it looks and how terrible it will be. Then it's released and they play it while jerking each other off about how bad it looks and how terrible it is. Then eventually Bethesda announces a new game and suddenly the previous game becomes 'OK' or 'pretty good' and they rant and rave about how terrible the new game will be by comparison.

Scientists call it the Howard Cycle.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Fallout 4 looks good and fun :)

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Zsinjeh posted:

Fallout 4 looks good and fun :)

Actually this leaked webem rip of a youtube clip of a cell phone video of the ps4 version of the game shows that the graphics will be heavily macro-blocked and slightly out of focus, I advise you to cancel your pre-order immediately.

SoCoRoBo
Mar 2, 2013

Constant Hamprince posted:

Every time they announce a new Bethesda game goons piss all over themselves about how bad it looks and how terrible it will be. Then it's released and they play it while jerking each other off about how bad it looks and how terrible it is. Then eventually Bethesda announces a new game and suddenly the previous game becomes 'OK' or 'pretty good' and they rant and rave about how terrible the new game will be by comparison.

Scientists call it the Howard Cycle.

Only nobody who hates Bethesda games thinks Fallout 3 or Skyrim are good? Like, time has not been kind to either. And New Vegas showed up just how bad Fallout 3 was.

From every leak so far, it's clear this is not a good-looking game. There is no reason to give Bethesda a total pass for identifying the lowest bar and waltzing straight under it. There is nothing about this game that looks like it's pushing the boat out at all.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

SoCoRoBo posted:

Only nobody who hates Bethesda games thinks Fallout 3 or Skyrim are good? Like, time has not been kind to either. And New Vegas showed up just how bad Fallout 3 was.

From every leak so far, it's clear this is not a good-looking game. There is no reason to give Bethesda a total pass for identifying the lowest bar and waltzing straight under it. There is nothing about this game that looks like it's pushing the boat out at all.

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of that. :smugdog:

Fallout 4 looks fantastic to anyone that enjoys things.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
I would like to buy this game

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Maybe Bethesda will surprise us and fix the lip syncing and companion pathing before they relea- hahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahaha

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's a CGI video though, lmao

*plucks this post out of the sea of bad posts and crowns it worst post*

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Fallout 4 is terrible.

They prettied up the T and made the people waiting for the Orange Line look way more attractive than they should.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

This game is going to be amazing and will sell a billion copies, everyone trashing it will shut up, play the game for 400 hours, then start to trash it again until the next Bethesda game is released because they are entitled and delusional.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

loving sold.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I'm excited for the fallout 4 release, and my pip boy edition gets here on Tuesday. gently caress the snobs in this thread.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Drythe posted:

I'm excited for the fallout 4 release, and my pip boy edition gets here on Tuesday. gently caress the snobs in this thread.

Not so much snobs as they are miserable, joyless people. Of course the game isn't going to be perfect but watching people go out of their way to avoid enjoying something sure does suck.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My first thought at seeing Fallout 4 was how happy I'm going to be to be able to play a Fallout game on PC without worrying about downloading a half dozen HD texture packs and fiddling with an ENB to make it look nice, because it already does.

That's not to say I won't mod the game later, but yeah, you get fatigue from that sort of thing after a while. Say what you will about the gimped dialogue system, but the game itself is beautiful in my opinion.

NecroMonster posted:

Generally they attract several GOTY awards and nurture colossal communities of players and modders. The nay-sayers are loud because they're the only ones not playing.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 3, 2015

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I hope you've all learned an important lesson about looking forward to things.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TheScott2K posted:

I hope you've all learned an important lesson about looking forward to things.

It's good?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's inconceivable to me that someone would not like something that I like. They must be pretending to not like it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

SoCoRoBo posted:

From every leak so far it looks like Skyrim with guns.

If you expected anything else, then I'm not sure what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
God forbid people are critical of a thing I want to like. It's not like they have evidence it will suck! There's no screenshots or videos of the problems, after all.

• Locked thread