Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Ocelot: Eli, you're looking a lot like your father did back when I met him. Mmm...

Miller: I gotta keep this pedo off of him as long as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
The medic, Kaz, and BB were only all together, injured, and conscious for a very brief moment there. It's likely he didn't get a chance to see much.

I took that line about getting used to working together in the opposite sense - I thought it was more of a, "Well, we've already been working together for a while, looks like that isn't going to change." The "what was it all for?" also suggests it's after the end of the game.

There's not really anyplace before the end of the game that the Ocelot and Kaz conversation fits in, timeline-wise, since it has to be sometime when Ocelot isn't hypnotized, and it can't be before Kaz is rescued, since in the helicopter scene he clearly thinks this is the real Big Boss he's talking to. It also wouldn't really make any emotional or thematic sense for Kaz to be acting the whole time, especially since finding out that Big Boss was an rear end in a top hat who ditched and used him is a big turning point in his motivations. Ocelot's the actor (the one we're told is "living a lie") and even he is doing some serious method poo poo.

It's interesting contrast Ocelot and Kaz's reactions to meeting Venom for the first time. Ocelot has hardly any emotional reaction. He doesn't even :ocelot: at him. Deep down he knows this isn't the real him, so he just does his job and sends him on his way. Kaz, on the other hand, immediately pours his heart out.

Metal Gear rule: if someone is acting restrained and failing to chew scenery, there is a sinister reason.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Thinky Whale posted:

There's not really anyplace before the end of the game that the Ocelot and Kaz conversation fits in, timeline-wise, since it has to be sometime when Ocelot isn't hypnotized, and it can't be before Kaz is rescued, since in the helicopter scene he clearly thinks this is the real Big Boss he's talking to. It also wouldn't really make any emotional or thematic sense for Kaz to be acting the whole time, especially since finding out that Big Boss was an rear end in a top hat who ditched and used him is a big turning point in his motivations. Ocelot's the actor (the one we're told is "living a lie") and even he is doing some serious method poo poo.
The place I've heard it theorized happening is right after Phantom Limbs. During Episode 1 Kaz has every reason to believe it's actually Big Boss and he's too hosed up to really notice something amiss.

The conversation can only really take place right after Episode 1 or all the way at the end of the game, since Ocelot can't be hypnotized. Problem is we don't know when Ocelot started to hypnotize himself (except that it must be after the Prologue/Truth since he discusses the matter with Big Boss and talks to the real Big Boss on Cyprus before leaving with Venom) or when the hypnosis broke or wore off and how. Ocelot just says he's gonna do it and at some point he clearly stopped doing it or learned the truth, but there's really nothing in the text saying so. With Kaz the issue is that he's told and vows to keep playing his role, so if he was told early in the game he's going to be pretending like he wasn't regardless, and he has reasons enough for most things he does to make sense either way.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism
there is zero chance kaz knows throughout the game

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, they actually did a blood test against the real big boss. Both Ocelot and Miller would want to know if Eli was a clone. When they find out he is, they tell Venom he isn't, but can now keep tabs on him for real BB.

Also I agree with everything you said about why this issue is confusing. Some of the most important conversations in the game aren't on tapes and are inconvenient to replay.

Edit: and while people like to play up Ocelot's loyalty to BB, the real reason Ocelot does anything is "because he can".

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 3, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There is also a zero chance Kaz can't connect the dots between "that guy we had with us in our helicopter who threw himself in front of Big Boss and got all hosed up with head shrapnel" and "hmm I don't recall Big Boss having head shrapnel," but the Kaz-doesn't-know position essentially requires that he somehow not figure this out through a combination of Mister Magoo shenanigans, nobody ever mentioning anything to him, and/or just plain forgetting.

Since the final conversation is completely isolated in space and time (it's not even on a tape or anything for context), there's no way to know when Ocelot and Kaz had it except that it can't have taken place while Ocelot was hypnotized, which means only very early or very late. That's all we know about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean, you can claim the Kaz doesn't remeber due to trauma or hypnotism seeing medic with the horn when asking "What about him?" But then you have to remember that Venom was later able to recall these events, despite brainwashing and being the one with shrapnel in his head. So it would be silly to rule out Kaz putting it together.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah I mean, you can claim the Kaz doesn't remeber due to trauma or hypnotism seeing medic with the horn when asking "What about him?" But then you have to remember that Venom was later able to recall these events, despite brainwashing and being the one with shrapnel in his head. So it would be silly to rule out Kaz putting it together.

Kaz can't see very good and no one wants to say anything or draw attention to Venom's horn because he's self-conscious about it

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Nakar posted:

There is also a zero chance Kaz can't connect the dots between "that guy we had with us in our helicopter who threw himself in front of Big Boss and got all hosed up with head shrapnel" and "hmm I don't recall Big Boss having head shrapnel," but the Kaz-doesn't-know position essentially requires that he somehow not figure this out through a combination of Mister Magoo shenanigans, nobody ever mentioning anything to him, and/or just plain forgetting.

He's got poor vision to begin with and is bleeding out from severe injuries. It's fair to roll with the idea that he could be unaware of the injuries of both Big Boss and the Medic especially not when thinking back on the situation 9 years after the fact.

It makes more sense for Miller to not know until after then end of chapter 1, as otherwise the revenge plot and its conclusion get hosed to hell and back. The scene where Huey kills Skullface is key to this. We have a sequence of events shown to us where the protagonists team up to enact their revenge by symbolically reproducing the cause of their revenge on to the person who has wronged them. This scene is immediately undercut by Huey (who has no reason to be enacting revenge) missing the point of their revenge entirely. The heroism or "badass" nature of the revenge scene is stripped away, revealing (to the audience) the truth that it was just the pointless torture of a dying man. This revelation is repeated in the truth tapes, but it is the characters who have the revelation this time. Miller finds out that the person he thought was sharing his experience of loss and revenge was never there in the first place, and the person who he actually shared his revenge with had about the same investment as Huey did. This parallel collapses if you assume he knew and was just going through the motions.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah Bro posted:

He's got poor vision to begin with and is bleeding out from severe injuries. It's fair to roll with the idea that he could be unaware of the injuries of both Big Boss and the Medic especially not when thinking back on the situation 9 years after the fact.

It makes more sense for Miller to not know until after then end of chapter 1, as otherwise the revenge plot and its conclusion get hosed to hell and back. The scene where Huey kills Skullface is key to this. We have a sequence of events shown to us where the protagonists team up to enact their revenge by symbolically reproducing the cause of their revenge on to the person who has wronged them. This scene is immediately undercut by Huey (who has no reason to be enacting revenge) missing the point of their revenge entirely. The heroism or "badass" nature of the revenge scene is stripped away, revealing (to the audience) the truth that it was just the pointless torture of a dying man. This revelation is repeated in the truth tapes, but it is the characters who have the revelation this time. Miller finds out that the person he thought was sharing his experience of loss and revenge was never there in the first place, and the person who he actually shared his revenge with had about the same investment as Huey did. This parallel collapses if you assume he knew and was just going through the motions.

Kaz's revenge against Skull Face would still be totally real.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Snak posted:

Kaz's revenge against Skull Face would still be totally real.

Why would he share the revenge with Venom?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Was Venom suddenly not a member of MSF who also lost his home and companions? Did Venom not get hosed over by Skull Face? Was Venom not maimed as a direct result of Skull Face's actions? It's still totally thematically appropriate for Kaz and Venom to take vengeance against Skull Face together. Either Kaz believes Venom is Big Boss or Kaz knows he's not but he still has every reason to want to gently caress up Skull Face. We see most scenes as Venom sees them, and Venom definitely thinks he's Big Boss. The fact that Kaz might have known he wasn't is only revealed well after Episode 31, so there's no reason to think otherwise the first time through and every reason to wonder after going through all the Truth stuff.

Yeah Bro posted:

"What about him?" asks noted blind man* Kazuhira Miller of a guy who isn't talking two beds over, while gesturing to that guy and looking in his direction, while fully conscious and capable of overhearing the doctor say that the guy took a huge chunk of shrapnel to the forehead. But yeah I'm sure Kaz would just forget about that unless something were to trigger a memory of it, like meeting a guy with a huge chunk of shrapnel in his forehead.

* Not stated anywhere in the game and frequently contradicted.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

interpreting kaz knowing to cover a small potential plothol fucks over a heap of other important events in the narrative and is generally pretty dumb

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Venom Soag posted:

interpreting kaz knowing to cover a small potential plothol fucks over a heap of other important events in the narrative and is generally pretty dumb
OK so it's just a plot hole then? Because a plot hole is a pretty serious issue in a story. I'm not saying it isn't a plot hole, but if it is that's kind of a serious problem.

EDIT: Also which events couldn't Kaz have known about and just been pretending like he says he'll pretend? We don't see into Kaz's head during the course of the game.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

venom had a blankie over his forehead when kaz looked over

all fuxed

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nakar posted:

OK so it's just a plot hole then? Because a plot hole is a pretty serious issue in a story. I'm not saying it isn't a plot hole, but if it is that's kind of a serious problem.

EDIT: Also which events couldn't Kaz have known about and just been pretending like he says he'll pretend? We don't see into Kaz's head during the course of the game.

Plot holes are not super serious problems with stories, actually.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 3, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Venom Soag posted:

I don't think it actually fucks over the other events though. But I haven't gone over the plot with a fine-toothed comb. I played "Over the Fence" a lot of times, and first exchange between Kaz and Venom is weird and I can't shake the feeling that it's because Kaz realizes or knows. I'm just saying, I kind of like this idea, even if I'm not sure I can back it up.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Generally speaking, plot holes aren't super important. Most works have more going on than just the A>B>C linear progression of events. It's far more worthwhile to ask why are we being shown things, what effect does it have, etc. Than it does to be concerned with "how does so and so know/not know X".

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Another reason to believe it is that Ocelot's dialogue in Episode 1 reads very much like a lot of winking nods to the idea that Venom isn't BB:
  • "Getting used to it?"
  • "You're a legend in the eyes of those who live on the battlefield. That's why you have to handle this mission yourself."
  • "Put those nine years behind you and return as Big Boss. That's how Kaz would want it."
  • "Now go! Let the legend come back to life!"
Could just be dramatic irony so it doesn't prove much but it at least leaves the possibility open.

Yeah Bro posted:

Generally speaking, plot holes aren't super important. Most works have more going on than just the A>B>C linear progression of events. It's far more worthwhile to ask why are we being shown things, what effect does it have, etc. Than it does to be concerned with "how does so and so know/not know X".
In this case the two are pretty tightly linked though. If Kaz just happened to forget then we're being asked to assume he never once associated the two events. We're also left to wonder why the fact he was conscious and asked about it and the answer he received were edited and hidden until the Truth mission, where we see him not only inquiring after the Medic who will become Venom but learning that he has a very distinct injury that is such a striking feature of Venom Snake that random Soviets comment on it. If he doesn't know the whole time then the entire thing is just thematically irrelevant because Kaz in fact forgot all about it and the sole reason to hide the conclusion to that scene was so the player wouldn't realize they weren't Big Boss (which is certainly a possibility and regardless of one's reading is clearly part of the edit).

Thematically it's entirely possible to construct an interpretation of Kaz's behavior where he's operating under the knowledge of who Venom really is but unable to speak about it for numerous reasons. Given that people have at times described Kaz's behavior as suspicious throughout the game in this very thread, the possibility that Kaz is suspicious leads us to ask what would make his behavior suspect, since his anger and drive for vengeance against Skull Face appears to be (and is) completely sincere. But if Kaz is hiding things from Venom, then there is something that explains his suspicious behavior that doesn't contradict his pursuit of revenge. If he's not... again, we just kind of shrug it off as coincidence or something, which doesn't satisfy me thematically.

Likewise saying Kaz knew gives certain weight to his treatment of Eli. Ocelot states repeatedly that Kaz is protecting Eli, but why would Kaz give a poo poo considering Eli is a huge rear end in a top hat who never once expresses any appreciation? "No. Big Boss can go to hell. I'll make the phantom and his sons stronger, to send him there." If that was a resolution Kaz made before he met Eli, then treating Eli with greater caution was supposed to keep Eli around to expose him to the guy he assumed was his father and cultivate his hatred of him. Which seems to have worked if we go by MGS1 Liquid. If it's one he made after then that stuff he does with Eli is just kind of coincidental and unrelated because at the time he was completely ignorant of Big Boss's deception and if any of it helped to turn Eli against Big Boss it was just a happy accident. Again, it doesn't seem as thematically fitting as "Kaz was grooming Eli to resent Big Boss the whole time because he knew Ocelot was hypnotized and couldn't do poo poo about it."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Venom Soag posted:

why did ocelot brainwash himself

seems unnecessary

Seems unnecessary is the answer to any MGS plothole

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think what someone said earlier is the best logic for Ocelot brainwashing himself: Ocelot is a true believe in torture and brainwashing. If Ocelot wanted to ensure he'd never give up the secret, he'd probably attempt some mental gymnastics to hide it even from himself. Also, from my understanding of MGS4 (which I haven't played) we know that Ocelote later uses self hypnosis in a retcon of him being possessed by Liquid. Now this sounds really stupid, however, it would be consistent logic if Ocelot wanted Solid Snake to be convinced that he was possessed by Liquid. In order to sell it, he'd have believe it himself. Now this is all really stupid, but if you spend enough of your life thinking about it, the crazy are starts to have some kind of thematic internal consistency. Before you know it you're composing your lore theories on the walls of your padded cell.

Which brings me to my next point: If Venom thematically represents the player who self-identifies as Snake, Ocelot represents the player who is a crazy lore conspiracy theorist. Ocelot is connected to every single plot, because he's the player who's obsessed with connecting all the events of the franchise into not only a singular canonical continuity, but also a thematically effective epic. He literally hypnotizes himself in order to make the plots make sense, and he tortures people until they explain their motivations.

edit: And his three favorite people are Aerith, The Big Badass, and the guy who's mad that everything isn't the way he wants it to be.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think you're starting to over-analyze it, now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Buschmaki posted:

I think you're starting to over-analyze it, now.

It's like one of my Japanese animes!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I honestly can't figure out why Ocelot thought it was necessary or a good idea to hypnotize himself at any point so I'm just going with the thing someone said earlier that he couldn't bear to be without John and just wanted to believe Venom was him while he was away doing John's work. Because if he was trying to manage things I have no earthly idea why he'd want to intentionally forget a critical aspect of the plan and he was never in any danger of being captured or tortured since he stayed at Mother Base all the time and I don't know why anyone would've ever even tried to find out about the body double thing since it appeared that it fooled literally everybody, unless it didn't fool Skull Face but if it didn't fool him then Skull Face also didn't care, so whatever.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Why would someone try to know one thing and believe another? What could this mean? Where did this idea come from? Must be a plot-hole, i guess

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The anime that I over-analyse is Ghost in the Shell, which is likely the anime that Otacon was thinking of in the previous quote.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Yeah Bro posted:

Why would someone try to know one thing and believe another? What could this mean? Where did this idea come from? Must be a plot-hole, i guess
You can't just have a theme sitting there with actions that can only be explained as "it's thematic." A character's behavior has to also make sense within the context of their own characterization. Ocelot did all his hypnosis bullshit in MGS4 for a specific purpose - fooling the Patriots, who by that time have such pervasive electronic surveillance that they're able to watch him at all times - which also happened to make thematic sense in the context of total information and mental control: Ocelot was so in control that he even fooled himself, because the only way to operate in secret under the nose of global surveillance is to believe the lie yourself. Ocelot decided he had to genuinely believe himself to be possessed in order to get away with his plan, and he also knew he couldn't keep using Liquid's real arm because actual possession was too risky. The result is a plot complication that's wacky and crazy and quintessentially Ocelot, but Ocelot's thought process at least comes across as something a person might actually think they had to do in order to fool near-omniscient AIs.

In MGS5, Ocelot chooses to forget about the substitution and that the real Big Boss is off building his nation in secret... but nobody is ever going to ask him about this, or ever does, and he has no reason to believe anyone will because he has a substitute Big Boss (who believes himself to be Big Boss) that he's going to make the world think is Big Boss, and he's doing this because the real Big Boss entrusted this task to him. He then chooses to engage in self-deception, to willingly accept a lie as if it were the truth - which is a theme of the game, sure - for what reason, exactly? He places himself in a situation where he now knows less than he might need to know in order to carry through the real Big Boss's orders, but there appears to be no specific purpose to doing so other than "People aren't what they seem! People believe things that aren't true! People accept a meme as the real thing so completely that it is the real thing!" being a major thematic undercurrent in the game. Ocelot never seems to be in a position where he needs to believe that Venom is the true and singular Big Boss and appears to have no reason to expect that he ever would. The AIs aren't watching him yet and nobody has any reason to think Mother Base isn't the true Outer Heaven.

He says in the Truth tape that he needs to hypnotize himself, but it's unclear why he thinks that's necessary:

'Doublethink' Tape posted:

BIG BOSS: And you?
OCELOT: I'll be right by his side.
BIG BOSS: Can you keep it up? It's a hell of a lie.
OCELOT: It won't be a lie. I won't know his secret either. I'll believe that he's the real Big Boss. I'll have no conscious knowledge of you - where's the lie in that?
BIG BOSS: Self-hypnosis?
OCELOT: It's nothing new in my line of work. Manipulating memories, the past... and that's not all. When the time is right, I need to remember that you're the real boss. In the world, it's doublethink.
BIG BOSS: In this year?
OCELOT: Two plus two equals five. And I want you to do the same.
BIG BOSS: Right - his bodyguard?
OCELOT: Correct.
The most charitable explanation is that in order to allow Venom to fully flourish as Big Boss, everyone must actually believe that he's Big Boss including Ocelot so that Ocelot's own actions never risk exposing that lie as a lie. Except Big Boss didn't have to convince himself of anything when playing Ishmael, and Venom has no reason to think he isn't Big Boss, and the body double trick works in the eyes of the world, and someone could accidentally screw everything up without Ocelot realizing it to stop them (Venom almost screws this up himself in the Paz sidequest), and Ocelot is the best liar in the entire Metal Gear continuity. So Ocelot's argument boils down to "I'm not sure I'm a good enough liar," which is rich coming from him of all people. It doesn't help that we don't know "when the time is right" for Ocelot to remember, or what Ocelot's trigger is for remembering, or when Venom realizes he's a double, or when Big Boss sends the tape to Venom.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pequod is the pilot.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Maybe Ocelot is such a good liar because he's always hypnotizing himself.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Uhhhh torture is always wrong no matter what and if you watched any of those torture scenes and thought "haha awesome they deserve it" then you are human garbage :)

It was exploring the concept of doublethink by forcing players to simultaneously believe torture is wrong, and that Huey should be slowly tortured to death with maximum agony. Kojima, you genius, you've done it again!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anyone who thinks DD is a Wolf 100% deserves it.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

alternate ending to Huey's plotline:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I skim-listened to the Truth tapes and assumed Ocelot brainwashed himself, Kaz, and Medic, each with permission.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Josuke Higashikata posted:

he's probably a robot

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Venom could have been the one to tell Kaz in the first place. Then Ocelot confronted him to ask him what he was going to do since Kaz sulks like a teenage girl.

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist
Doesn't Zero straight up tell Kaz the plan over the phone in the Truth tapes? I remember him telling him the code to enact the plan is 'V has come to'. I thought this was the source of all of his 'never be whole' talk because he felt Big Boss betrayed him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Raxivace posted:

Plot holes are not super serious problems with stories, actually.

Yes they are. They're insulting to the audience's intelligence.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

Doesn't Zero straight up tell Kaz the plan over the phone in the Truth tapes? I remember him telling him the code to enact the plan is 'V has come to'. I thought this was the source of all of his 'never be whole' talk because he felt Big Boss betrayed him.

Nope, he told Kaz that he was keeping Big Boss safe and he needed Kaz to be there to support him when he woke up. That was Kaz's part to play. Ocelot was to protect him, Kaz was to build his army.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

lol. you loving dweeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Unless they detract from the story thematically they're a minor amusement/irritation 99% of the time. We’re talking about gaps in a sequence of events that didn’t actually happen, this is not a big deal.

• Locked thread