Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Polling a Republican against Clinton right now is useless seeing as Clinton isn't really actively campaigning for the General and getting very little press coverage while the Republicans are busy with their circus.

I mean of course Clinton is going to poll lower right now, she can't run against all of the Republican's insane platforms at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Is there any way to analyze the ground game of these people, their field staffing?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

he's not, the black guy who grew up in the hood of Detroit stabbing people is in the lead of the GOP primary. what does that make you think about racism?

That there's good money in being one of the GOP's token black guys?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oiled and Ready posted:

Look 1) can't stop laughing at people telling me to calm down when defending smoothrich is the easiest way I've ever gotten people riled people up and

2) you all quit reading his posts too early, i mean come on, we're at peak smoothrich - just read his last post and tell me that poo poo isn't quality posting

e: I wish thread titles were long enough we could have "a catatonic Jeb dreams of a reality where he still had the Sword of Chang at his side.. and who would want to wake him?" as the header. Also, just gonna preempt the first response of just 2 quote bubbles of "smoothrich" and "quality posting" because clearly smoothrich is surging

His posting is funny, yours is very very bad.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 22, 2016

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Smoothrich posts in bursts of 20 posts or so and then goes silent for a while. Is he posting during his blackouts?

His handlers are getting faster and faster

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I thought Slavic superiority was Smoothrich's gimmick or has his schizophrenia-addled mind gone elsewhere now?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I can't believe how excited I am about the prospect of Carson in the general.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Zelder posted:

His handlers are getting faster and faster

Now I have this mental image of him banging away on a computer inside a mental institution's rec room and a team of orderlies trying to drag him away from the keyboard while he screams "NO, NO, I MUST ASSERT BEN CARSON'S SUPERIORITY!"

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Three Olives posted:

Polling a Republican against Clinton right now is useless seeing as Clinton isn't really actively campaigning for the General and getting very little press coverage while the Republicans are busy with their circus.

I mean of course Clinton is going to poll lower right now, she can't run against all of the Republican's insane platforms at the same time.

God could you imagine what hitting Carson with Mannatech would do to him in the general?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Patter Song posted:

"Marco, you aren't yet ready," Jeb sighed as he drew his katana. He was no longer young, and even unsheathing his blade required so much more of his energy than it used to. "The Blade of Chang is not a child's toy."

"You'll find I'm no longer a child, sensei," Rubio sneered. "The powers of Chang served you well once upon a time, but your day is over. I have a new sensei now, one who is teaching me powers beyond your wildest dreams."

"In Gronk's name, no, Marco!" Jeb gasped. He panted and gazed at his erstwhile apprentice's sweaty brow. Marco always had dehydrated quickly. Maybe he was still lacking in stamina. "You don't mean...The Donald?"

"That's right, Jeb. I agreed to teach him the secrets of the high energy art if he would get you out of the race...permanently. How's that for the Art of the Deal?" Trump emerged from the shadows. "You'll find your pupil no longer dehydrates quite as quickly."

Jeb closed his eyes and thought. This wasn't good, but he still had one final hope: perhaps Marco had not yet figured out how to unleash the Blade of Chang's true power, the secret passed down from generation to generation since 1975. The Blade of Chang had tasted the blood of Japanese, Communists, and perhaps many other peoples? Who knew what Chang had gotten into? He'd never really looked into it. The upshot is that under the right circumstances, the spirit of Chang would manifest and, unleashed from the confines of the sword, strike a mighty blow for conservative principles. If Rubio had not yet figured out how to unleash Chang, he might still have a shot.

Jeb drew his wakizashi, the smaller blade, and prepared to go for a two-bladed defensive style. If Rubio did not know about the power of the Blade of Chang, the wakizashi should be able to blunt Rubio's offensive moves. It was a gamble, but one Jeb would have to take. "I made the mistake of giving you the Blade of Chang, Marco, but like any mistake, Jeb can fix it!" he roared.

Marco Rubio grinned, held the Blade of Chang aloft, and spoke the magic word: "Kuomintang." Jeb cursed as the ground rumbled, the skies turned black, and a ghostly apparition seemed to rise out of the sword. It was Chang, or rather, Chiang, and his presence meant one thing: Jeb's luck had run out.

Smoothrich posted:

Jeb should probably accept his own disgrace, wipe away the one giant anime tear, and swear himself to Sensei Carson once the good doctor wins Iowa and Trump wins New Hampshire, Cruz and Rubio pick up the scraps, and everyone else gets 0 percent of the votes.

Jeb probably thinks he is Zuko, his dad is Fire Lord Ozai, Ronald Reagan was Fire Lord Sozin, W is Princess Azula, and could rationalize a calm spiritual outsider guy like Carson as his Iroh. He clearly sees Trump as Aang, who gives form to words before effortlessly bending them offensively into campaign-defining insults.

This analogy doesn't really go anywhere useful, because Jeb actually is paralyzed in front of a webcam retreating into a fantasy anime land like Abed from Community. He's probably surrounded by Bush family and donors, the men calling him a coward who should've joined the Army and died in Nam so his father would've never had to see his failure, the women sobbing softly as a handsome latino divorce attorney introduces himself to Jeb's wife , and a catatonic Jeb dreams of a reality where he still had the Sword of Chang at his side.. and who would want to wake him?

Incredible

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Constant Hamprince posted:

God could you imagine what hitting Carson with Mannatech would do to him in the general?

Hey, I'll have you know he had no ties with Mannatech. He just happened to take some money in exchange for speaking for them and advocating their products. :downs:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, the first line here:

Debate rules? We don't have time for that when there are all-day brunch burgers to be washed down with flavored mojitos!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 22, 2016

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Mein Trumpf dropped today. In this excerpt Trump is calling for a Neo-New Deal:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/book-excerpt-donald-trumps-crippled-america-make-america/story?id=34931608

Yes, one of the Republican front runners is championing massive public works and praising the New Deal.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I havn't thought about Pella in ages. When I was little I used to go to Tulip Time there for the street sweeping festival.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm going to laugh if all these "secret Carson supporters" that no one hears about or understands are just black conservatives and moderates afraid to talk openly about their beliefs without a bunch of Bernie voters burning crosses on their lawns for not voting for the KKK/Jim Crow/Slavery/Segregation party, like a Real Black Person should. Trust me, I'm a 20-something white liberal with good opinions, not a 60-something Uncle Tom neurosurgeon author and educator with stupid ones.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Montasque posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/book-excerpt-donald-trumps-crippled-america-make-america/story?id=34931608

Yes, one of the Republican front runners is championing massive public works and praising the New Deal.

Didn't a large part of Obama's stimulus go to infrastructure grants for the states?

Trump is like.. 74% Democrat.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Montasque posted:

I really wish Trump's tax plan hadn't been complete garbage.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Montasque posted:

how did you think he was going to get that wall built?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

CheesyDog posted:

I'm hear to speak sedately and chew bubblegum, and no I've never been paid to endorse bubblegum although it is such a great product that I'm actually all out of it

Haha excellent

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

icantfindaname posted:

how did you think he was going to get that wall built?

He was going to drive to the local home Depot and pick up a bunch dudes in the parking lot.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Montasque posted:

Lol, something I agree with Trump on. I hope Hillary and/or Bernie get behind a New New Deal.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trump of the morning:

quote:

"Look, Jeb is a nice guy. He's a stiff, okay? He's a nice guy. He doesn't have a chance, alright. He ought to do what Walker did,” Trump said on ABC’s “Good Morning America” Tuesday. “He's been branded as a low energy person.”

“I think Ben just doesn't have the experience....It's not his thing, George," he told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos. "You know, you’re born with it. It's not his thing. He doesn't have the temperament for it. It's not the right thing for him and there are right things for him."

“In all fairness, I read where they want to do some air conditioning," he said. "…That second debate, the room was 100 degrees. A couple of them were melting. I was looking some of the candidates; they were melting.”

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Smoothrich posted:

I'm going to laugh if all these "secret Carson supporters" that no one hears about or understands are just black conservatives and moderates afraid to talk openly about their beliefs without a bunch of Bernie voters burning crosses on their lawns for not voting for the KKK/Jim Crow/Slavery/Segregation party, like a Real Black Person should. Trust me, I'm a 20-something white liberal with good opinions, not a 60-something Uncle Tom neurosurgeon author and educator with stupid ones.

Google "southern strategy" and "Lee Atwater"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fox Ironic posted:

Lol, something I agree with Trump on. I hope Hillary and/or Bernie get behind a New New Deal.

Imagine if the voters start pushing for them to enact a Neo Deal. Donald Trump is going to put one together, why can't the Democrats, party of FDR?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
trump is a stealth democrat

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My grandmother just turned on the tv and it was Trump blasting Rubio. Said Bush had good ideas and good points but he sucked at delivering them, if it was Trump saying those things it would be been a different story.

Not surprised by the Rubio offensive but laying off Bush is interesting.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

My grandmother just turned on the tv and it was Trump blasting Rubio. Said Bush had good ideas and good points but he sucked at delivering them, if it was Trump saying those things it would be been a different story.

Not surprised by the Rubio offensive but laying off Bush is interesting.

His campaign has become so pathetic that Trump no longer deems it worthy of notice.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
No elections in Vermont today because, like civilized people, we hold municipal elections following Town Meeting in March.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 18, 2016

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Pages late, but the idea of Carson as an academic is laughable. Using my connections from the elite world of academia (i.e. Google Scholar, which everyone can search), he doesn't have much of anything except his books. If he's contributed to 100+ journals, I'm not seeing any of them here. I'd suspect if he's had any involvement, it's purely been in providing tissue samples to actual smart people.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I only see two ways of dethroning Trump:

1) Attack his source of funding. Hard to do but I can see a boycott taking off on Twitter or something against brands or companies that support or fund Trump. I think Rush lost a bunch of sponsors and money from people boycotting his show and it worked pretty well. Trump only cares about money and power.

2) Label him a progressive democrat/RINO. Minus a few major outliers (tax plan, immigration deportation plan), Trump may as well be running as a Democrat. Seems the only thing Republicans hate more than a black President are RINOs and I feel if the Democrats can play up how un-Republican/conservative he is, they can make him unattractive to the base.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

2016 Republican Primary: I was looking some of the candidates; they were melting.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Shakugan posted:

Pages late, but the idea of Carson as an academic is laughable. Using my connections from the elite world of academia (i.e. Google Scholar, which everyone can search), he doesn't have much of anything except his books. If he's contributed to 100+ journals, I'm not seeing any of them here. I'd suspect if he's had any involvement, it's purely been in providing tissue samples to actual smart people.

I'm not entirely sure on this. I did a search myself and while the majority (it seems) of the studies probably just have him as a minor contributor, you have some stuff like this.

I can play around and see what paywalls I can bypass when I get on a university connection.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Louisgod posted:

I only see two ways of dethroning Trump:

1) Attack his source of funding. Hard to do but I can see a boycott taking off on Twitter or something against brands or companies that support or fund Trump. I think Rush lost a bunch of sponsors and money from people boycotting his show and it worked pretty well. Trump only cares about money and power.

2) Label him a progressive democrat/RINO. Minus a few major outliers (tax plan, immigration deportation plan), Trump may as well be running as a Democrat. Seems the only thing Republicans hate more than a black President are RINOs and I feel if the Democrats can play up how un-Republican/conservative he is, they can make him unattractive to the base.

#1 already happened about five seconds after Trump's announcement speech, and had no effect at all on him.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

#1 already happened about five seconds after Trump's announcement speech, and had no effect at all on him.

and #2 people have been doing this for months but nobody cares. He's playing the role of a outsider who gives no fucks so they are actually listening to what he says and agreeing/disagreeing with them on an actual substantial level, instead of just dismissing it outright as liberal or conservative.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

At the CRIPPLED AMERICA news conference just now:

Reporter: You're going to be on SNL. Can we see your Jeb Bush impression?
Trump: I don't like showing a person sleeping at the podium.
Crowd: Ohhhhhhh!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Montasque posted:

Trumpf is actually german for trump, fyi - unless you know and tip of the hat good sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

mike12345 posted:

Trumpf is actually german for trump, fyi - unless you know and tip of the hat good sir.

Actually the family name is Drumpf, but yes, yes I actually knew what I was doing on that one.

Funny enough Trump's grandfather, Friedrich Drumpf, was a Al Swearengen type character. Apples don't fall far from the tree...

• Locked thread