Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

vug posted:

i wouldn't like to bet on whether it genuinely needs that much space free to apply the patch or whether the launcher's hosed. i mean they did break the mac launcher pretty bad in the IC patch, to the extent that i started bypassing it and launching eso.app directly because otherwise i'd have to wait an indeterminate amount of time for it to decide i had the game installed

If it helps any, I installed it with 75 gigs free and it worked like a champ. Possibly related, the "wait five minutes before launch" thing went away by itself when I upgraded to 10.11.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

Along the lines of the question about Savagery, do Brutality and Empower stack?

Yes, yes they do. And it is glorious. Always use empower (any mage's guild, ambush, wrecking blow, solar flare) before popping an ult.

e: Further, major brutality is +20% weapon damage, which is something like +10% actual damage depending. Empower is straight-up +20% damage. This game is fairly stingy with buffs that do something significant, and empower is one of them.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 2, 2015

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i'm really glad that there are fixes to IC in this patch. my biggest worry that they were going to poo poo out DLCs and not fix them after they've got your money and run the game into the ground

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Scyantific posted:

SOMEONE GIVE ME A SITREP ON MY GUILD BANK RIGHT loving NOW

People are reporting that stacks upon stacks of stuff are disappearing from guildbanks.

Its empty.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
They should pretty much do a ff14 and remake the base game like wrothgar. it's clear that they're figuring out how to use their engine properly and make good stuff in it. the world bosses are great

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

vug posted:

They should pretty much do a ff14 and remake the base game like wrothgar. it's clear that they're figuring out how to use their engine properly and make good stuff in it. the world bosses are great

Is it good

Everything I've kind of seen glimpses of makes it sound like how the base game should be like

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Well, it's the first thing they've added since launch that felt like a real expansion. There's new quests and things to explore and none of it is gated behind PvP or having a group. Even the launch has been smooth by large developer standards (two rollbacks so far, but otherwise entirely playable). Since you're subbed you might as well drop by and check it out.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
throughout the whole thing it just feels like they're starting to get it, if you know what i mean
the locations, like the part where you first walk into the city, have got proper pacing and atmosphere and look really good. the scripting has places where it doesn't suck, and instead of world bosses that are just more powerful mobs with a few special moves the ones there are more like the wandering bosses in imperial city. e.g. hordes of adds, nasty burst damage you have to work out how to counter (e.g. suicide bombing scamps) and if you stand in red you die, and there's lots of red

to give an example of how they seem to have some proper game design going on, there's this part where you go into a fortess and have to walk across a courtyard to get an alchemy thing and back across again to the exit, and there's this tree that triggers a group boss that you have to walk past twice, so what happens is soloers get naturally pulled into a group boss fight. the mobs don't do much damage but they keep healing the tree so you've got to dps them down to beat the boss, so you probably won't beat it until a few people have showed up to pile on it

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

world bosses are bullshit because I can't solo them

the moment I engage one a swarm of people come out of nowhere and start hitting it too

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Same, but ancestor silk.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Scyantific posted:

the moment I engage one a swarm of people come out of nowhere and start hitting it too

That's the point?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

vug posted:

throughout the whole thing it just feels like they're starting to get it, if you know what i mean
the locations, like the part where you first walk into the city, have got proper pacing and atmosphere and look really good. the scripting has places where it doesn't suck, and instead of world bosses that are just more powerful mobs with a few special moves the ones there are more like the wandering bosses in imperial city. e.g. hordes of adds, nasty burst damage you have to work out how to counter (e.g. suicide bombing scamps) and if you stand in red you die, and there's lots of red

to give an example of how they seem to have some proper game design going on, there's this part where you go into a fortess and have to walk across a courtyard to get an alchemy thing and back across again to the exit, and there's this tree that triggers a group boss that you have to walk past twice, so what happens is soloers get naturally pulled into a group boss fight. the mobs don't do much damage but they keep healing the tree so you've got to dps them down to beat the boss, so you probably won't beat it until a few people have showed up to pile on it

That's good, and sounds like what I expected of them to start delivering with what they were talking about with the move to B2P.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Was there a new dungeon finder added? You mean you won't be lumped into a group with 3 DPS DragonKnights now?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Field reports say it should be actually good now and fill quickly. I can't speak to quality of those pubbies however, my launcher has hosed itself into lost update paths and downloading EVERYTHING again.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I actually take that back, tbh.

Last queue took like 30 loving minutes and I got paired with two healers, v1 and v5.

E: Shield Dyes are a thing I forgot about

At ennu's request, the Tron look

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 3, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Scyantific posted:

How dare there be other people playing in an MMO. What do they think this is? An MMO?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The new patch has me intrigued with the cap on autism points and a catch up mechanic. I look forward to playing this only for the weekend and then to forget about it after fallout is out.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a way to make the loot history window not block the chat window?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The new patch has me intrigued with the cap on autism points and a catch up mechanic. I look forward to playing this only for the weekend and then to forget about it after fallout is out.

Patch notes 2.2.5: Servers will be shut down Monday so nobody gets ahead of Tenzarin.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

tgidieday posted:

Patch notes 2.2.5: Servers will be shut down Monday so nobody gets ahead of Tenzarin.

Its not my fault they had a decent game up to lvl 50 and then they wanted me to join a raid group to grind on monsters for 2 weeks before becoming reaching the true max lvl like goku.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Its not my fault they had a decent game up to lvl 50 and then they wanted me to join a raid group to grind on monsters for 2 weeks before becoming reaching the true max lvl like goku.

Is this a PvP thing? Because the quest part of the game is consistent all the way up to v14. And with Wrothgar, now it's consistent through v16. No sperglordin' required.

I mean, "oh no I have to play with other people in an MMO" is a weird complaint. But they still fixed it for you!

e: You 1-50 rulez guys know you can finish the main quest then play in the other two factions, right? Right? :ohdear:
e2: vvv Got it, PvP thing.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 3, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
being lvl 10 was alot better than being v1.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
how's the new battle leveling in pvp? i dipped into cyrodiil this morning to see whether hardened ward looked viable again and it looked like it might have been

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

A) Grouping tool is still loving useless. People are reporting that they're getting paired up with VR16s at level 15, and even with "battle leveling" they're having a hard time clearing a v16 scaled dungeon. People are also reporting issues with battle leveling not working at all, or only working for certain party members. Conclusion: Avoid the LFG tool

B) Speaking of "battle leveling," apparently even v16s with gold gear are getting battle leveled in places like Orsinium, LFG groups, and Cyrodiil. My fully geared Sorcerer dropped from 3700/2900 spell damage in Mournhold to 3000/2600 in Wrothgar. This is further exacerbated by the fact that battle leveling is now a permanent, compulsory thing for every player, and cannot be turned off in the option menu. Conclusion: Battle leveling loving sucks

C) The Guild Bank bug that hit users everywhere was reported immediately at the start of the PTS round for Orsinium. Developers claimed that a fix was implemented in 2.2.3 and would be rolled out at launch. Conclusion: Devs have no idea how to fix this poo poo

D) Veteran Maelstrom Arena is apparently "too hard" and threads calling for nerfs are flooding the forum. Conclusion: Veteran Maelstrom is fine as is. Going to be making a run of VMA before they nerf it so I can be one of the few who can claim that "yes, I cleared the hard as poo poo content"

E) Veteran Imperial City Dungeons have been nerfed to the point where they are a joke now, monsters hit like a wet noodle and don't require any straight-forward thinking to clear. Conclusion: Time to farm the hell out of VWGT for a Molag Kena helm. I thank the crybabies for getting this nerfed to the point where we can farm it in peace.

F) Shield Dyes are a thing, and a cool thing at that. Conclusion: Shield Dyes are cool and good and everyone needs to paint their shields to match the mudcrab sigil.

Overall thoughts on BASE GAME PATCH: Try again ZOS.
If your new "scaling" system is going to be how you're handling things from here on out, then it's going to suck, especially if everyone is forced into it without the ability to opt out of said scaling. It is the *exact* opposite of Oblivion and Skyrim (enemies, delves, and loot scaling to level; ESO scales you to zone level), and we all know that level scaling system sucked the life out of the game.

E:

vug posted:

how's the new battle leveling in pvp? i dipped into cyrodiil this morning to see whether hardened ward looked viable again and it looked like it might have been
Battle-leveling completely obliterated Blackwater Blade. Now it's nothing but veteran players running around in full purple gear at the CP cap facerolling everything that moves. I should know I was one of them doing the facerolling.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 3, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
It's nice to have a bunch of difficult challenges that you can work up to completing. It's also nice to allow everyone to experience all of the content regardless of skill or time commitment. Now, hear me out, but maybe they could have difficulty "modes" where normal people could just play and have fun and then another mode for veteran players who want a challenge.

Serious talk, AP rank should be account-wide and non-vet should mean "less than AP rank 10" not "less than level 50". An easier fix than removing veteran ranks, and it doesn't screw up the PvE part of the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Scyantific posted:

Battle-leveling completely obliterated Blackwater Blade. Now it's nothing but veteran players running around in full purple gear at the CP cap facerolling everything that moves. I should know I was one of them doing the facerolling.

So is pvp better or worse if you are not maxed out?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

So is pvp better or worse if you are not maxed out?

The people who still PvP were playing it continuously since the last time you tried. They did not lose skill, and they gained champion points.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

tgidieday posted:

The people who still PvP were playing it continuously since the last time you tried. They did not lose skill, and they gained champion points.

I never pvped outside of the lowbie campaign. You sound pretty bitter, ever think of chillaxing?

Maybe a normal person can talk to me about the pvp scene.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 3, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I never pvped outside of the lowbie campaign. You sound pretty bitter, ever think of chillaxing?

Maybe a normal person can talk to me about the pvp scene.

There's a lot of normal, non-bitter people playing MMOs, I'll page one.

While we're waiting, my point was that battle leveling hasn't changed at all in PvP, not since the IC patch. The newbie-friendliness of Blackwater Blade was ruined by champion points and gear applying over top of battle leveling, and that has only gotten worse in the time that you haven't played. Because of this, fewer and fewer non-minmaxed players are playing PvP, even in non-vet, only serving to make the problem worse.

If you want some rosy sunshine, you can still beat them through superior numbers, thanks in large part to shield and block changes. Just run with the largest group you can.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What is blackwater blade?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

What is blackwater blade?

The non-vet campaign. It's open to all players under level 50/veteran rank 1.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hang on so even the noobie pvp is wrecked now?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on so even the noobie pvp is wrecked now?

Not wrecked in the sense that you can't have any fun at all, but someone with purple gear at 501 champ points is going to have double the toughness and damage of someone with found gear and no champ points. That's basically an emperor buff.

Note: Scy and I were talking about PC where there's quite a few people with capped champ points. I'll bet console PvP is less broken.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Well... Oddly enough I am enjoying the game. I am still too stupid and inexperienced (even after months of messing about) to directly feel most of the complaints people have, though I can see them in terms of game design and developer behavior. The game is still quite interesting and challenging for me at a fairly basic level.

Went from 50 to VR3 in ten days or so just tooling around with a lot of afk idling and a couple of longer sessions. This was mostly questing and a bit below my level since I was totally confused about Coldharbour and the main story line. I am only just now about to get to the Caldwell stuff (I think) and should catch up to level this week. I have spent a bit of time in Cyrodill, but the battle leveling gives a very artificial sense of the build. I am sad it can't be turned off now. Is that right? It can't be turned off anymore?

Champion Points are also faster than thought. I am up to about 50 just from running that one toon with sub optimal experience gains when grinding. Think it will go even a bit faster leveling an alt. Granted that is 1/10 of cap and it is likely to raise before I get there, but it's not as bad as I thought.

The only group dungeoning I have done is when goons take pity on me. I have been solo dungeoning the group dungeons as I go along and killing world bosses when I can. Sometimes it takes multiple tries even when they have been non scaled instances a level or two below me, but I pretend that is improving my game.

Interestingly (to me at least) I have been checking in on a streamer, BladeBoques, who is all about min/max power leveling. He started a VR1 grind about the time I was 50. He is playing a lot and very long sessions. I think he played 14 hours straight yesterday or something. He is moving faster than me, but not that much faster and he has no skill points. I on the other hand am skilled and geared (sort of) to switch between four bars and two self crafted gear sets all with different wep/class skills and passives maxed for level (2h-S&B single target and Bow/DW AoE). I don't have any points for crafting at the moment but will by the time I want to craft my next set. Research is slower as a result, but I have almost all weapons, medium and heavy to 6 traits, which is enough for now. I want eight for twice born and some stuff, but that can wait.

Btw, can you switch weapons and gear between fights when grouped in a dungeon? Seems to work solo once I figure out which set is best for which encounter in any particular dungeon. (Deaths are involved in the process.)

I have done very little PvP. I haven't ventured in to IC or Beartown, though I have both. The Cyrodill lag is very real for me, so I might be limited there until I get a new rig (on hold due to life events for several months now). I want some of the Alliance skills though and typically enjoy PvP in games so looking forward to playing that (until I inevitably become a bitter vet).

I really hope they do not nerf Maelstrom and am sorry they nerfed WTG even though I haven't run them and would likely fail a lot for a long time before doing so successfully. I have watched streams bit going back to when it was on test and it looks like legitimately challenging, instanced PvE content, which is something a lot of MMO's now lack. Fengrush was trying to get people to make bets with him while he was running it on test about how long before ZOS caved to nerf mob.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 3, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

I have spent a bit of time in Cyrodill, but the battle leveling gives a very artificial sense of the build.

Yeah, it's stuck on for good now. If you want to test your build out, you can always go to Craglorn and try killing the bees just outside the north exit of Belkarth. It'll show you where your build might need some tweaking. After that, you can move on to the Scaled Court packs like the ones outside Loth'Na or Serpent's Nest. Again, don't expect immediate success.

Sogol posted:

goons take pity on me

Nah, you did fine. All those things just take practice, and that's what guildies are for.

Sogol posted:

min/max power leveling

Don't grind unless you specifically enjoy grinding. Doing normal quests with a group of two (bonus for group, two is same xp per player as one), with Mara rings/subs/xp pots, and staying no more than 3 levels over the zone you're in, you can get a veteran rank every two hours. That's fast enough, and like you said, you'll have skill points when you're done. Note: don't actually do this unless you've played the game all the way through previously. There's only a finite amount of content, please stop and enjoy it. I'm just saying that nobody needs to grind.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 4, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What is happening with my patcher, I dont know if its working or its stuck.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Scyantific posted:

A) Grouping tool is still loving useless. People are reporting that they're getting paired up with VR16s at level 15, and even with "battle leveling" they're having a hard time clearing a v16 scaled dungeon. People are also reporting issues with battle leveling not working at all, or only working for certain party members. Conclusion: Avoid the LFG tool

The level restrictions were supposed to go, it's in the patch notes. BL problems are pretty loving scary, though, that's for drat sure. I wonder if the people not being battle leveled are forming their groups via LFM.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

What is happening with my patcher, I dont know if its working or its stuck.

New Progress Quest looking good.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Having:

- Started the Almanac;
- Explored all of Wrothgar;
- Mucked about in the arena;
- Not done anything in IC or Craglorn;
- Messed about with some of the Cyrodill grind spots;

I am surprised to find that I prefer the Almanac at present. Cyrodill, IC and Wrothgar are all Battle leveled, essentially making moot resource management from player builds and therefore developing bad habits it seems to me. Unfun. It's basically like having AI take over my character build. I hope they fix it so I have a choice again and that there are advantages to choosing to turn it off. I might use it sometimes, but I do want a choice. It's a thing they do though it seems.

The fight with Molags Balls at the end of the Main Quest seems very anti-climactic because you have the Meridia power up. The finisher is basically a cut scene. maybe it's because I play the game on a shoebox tied to a tin can by a string, but I am unimpressed by the power up, cut scene approach. It seems they have taken the power up idea and just flatly applied it to all the DLC. Maybe it's meant to make the game more accessible to new players?

The Almanac has plenty of grind spots, delves, world bosses, dolmens, lore books, shards and most importantly excellent crafting nodes. Wrothgar material foraging would require a minimum of 21 points into crafting for it to be useful that way. I have the crafting levels, but don't want to sink the skill points present.

I have read all sorts of various things about Craglorn. I plan to run through Caldwell Silver/Gold pretty quickly. Having the Almanac is very helpful. What level is Craglorn considered to be?

Btw, thanks for the (apparent) patience with my questions. Also, who is who? Some people have the same name here as in-game and others don't. I look d through the OP, but didn't find a list. Sogol=@naktl, playing Caliban the Apostate mostly right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

quote:

Btw, thanks for the (apparent) patience with my questions. Also, who is who? Some people have the same name here as in-game and others don't. I look d through the OP, but didn't find a list. Sogol=@naktl, playing Caliban the Apostate mostly right now.

I'm @plasticbee I fill the gbank with money (goal met) and cooking crap, please take it. (not the money)

• Locked thread