Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Motronic posted:

Why knockdown? I mean.....it's nearly as shite as popcorn. But at this point the only way to make it truly correct is to re-rock it and put the coating you really want on (which is flat - popcorn and knockdown are only a thing for cheapness in order to cover lovely taping jobs because ceilings suck to tape and mud).

Admittedly its purely subjective but knockdown does look like less poo poo than popcorn. of the cheap options I'd pick knockdown every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
drat you Regal Auctions!

Not bad for $8k. Everything works, which is amazing.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
woke up yesterday, saw there was a freezing rain warning, went outside, it was raining and only 2 degrees, had the day off so I threw on the snow tires. Of course, as soon as I was done, the weather changed and the sun came out... Could've made it until November without swapping the tires

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh crap, 70 kids in less than an hour, hope the Costco candy stash hold out :ohdear:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

slidebite posted:

Oh crap, 70 kids in less than an hour, hope the Costco candy stash hold out :ohdear:
325 kids over 3 hours :smug:

My wife had to yell at me to stop handing out three candies to each kid so we didn't run out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It was pretty quiet out there tonight. both malls did a thing where kids could go store to store for candy so they didn't have to go outside and be exposed to weather or molesters.

Went to the auction, bunch of boring stuff. the benz went through this time declared as salvage for $300.

the 2 cars i had pegged as $1000 cars but wasn't interested enough to stick around for went for $1750 and $2200 anyways. one was a hail damaged 04 saab 9-3 turbo 5 speed, and the other a 150k RX8 6-speed. I'm hankerin for another bad decision.

edit: one of the storage cabinets going in the industrial auction has some interesting stuff in it.

Anybody wanting their car that color might get a good deal.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 1, 2015

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Powershift posted:

and the other a 150k RX8 6-speed. I'm hankerin for another bad decision.

Holy crap 150k kms! Was it on its third engine?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

the 2 cars i had pegged as $1000 cars but wasn't interested enough to stick around for went for $1750 and $2200 anyways. one was a hail damaged 04 saab 9-3 turbo 5 speed, and the other a 150k RX8 6-speed. I'm hankerin for another bad decision.

What kind of shape was that RX8 in?

200 kids for us last night. We typically get 120-150 so it was a record night. The winds starting to pick up around 8 so if it wasn't for that I have little doubt there would have been more.

Had to steal candy from our secret stashes to make sure we didn't run out. Didn't want to be "that guy" on the block to only give a chocolate bar, usually give 2 of those and a few of the sugar candies (nerds, twizzlers, skittles, etc).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

What kind of shape was that RX8 in?

200 kids for us last night. We typically get 120-150 so it was a record night. The winds starting to pick up around 8 so if it wasn't for that I have little doubt there would have been more.

Had to steal candy from our secret stashes to make sure we didn't run out. Didn't want to be "that guy" on the block to only give a chocolate bar, usually give 2 of those and a few of the sugar candies (nerds, twizzlers, skittles, etc).

Body was good. interior of a 150k car. brake rotors completely rusted from sitting. The goal would have been to put a JDM engine/trans into it and flip it, keeping the trans out of it for.... a thing

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nomex posted:

drat you Regal Auctions!

Not bad for $8k. Everything works, which is amazing.

Also, that looks like an amazing deal. Holy poo poo. More pics/info?

I'd love to score a 19-23' trailer for a fantastic deal like that.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
It's a 2k4 35' Glendale Titanium. Here's a better pic of the outside:

The inside still needs cleaning, so I'll refrain from those pics for now. I paid about half market value for it, but it's not without it's problems. Here's the bad:

- A switch in the furnace only works occasionally. It's pretty easy to fix, I just have to get the part
- Tires are bad
- The driver's side slide had a hole in the vinyl top, which led to some water damage. It's limited to the plywood and insulation on the outside though, so it's not terribly bad to fix. I'll do a better job than the factory did, that's for sure.
- The rear bumper fascia is missing. This isn't an important part, and will probably be impossible to replace, as Glendale went under in 2010.

The slides both slide out reliably which is awesome, and it came with four good 146Ah 6V batteries.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Who was able to help you move that thing? I've got a half ton with a fifth wheel hitch, but the tow weight you posted was way outside the limit for a 25 year old grandpa truck. Felt bad I couldn't offer to help :smith:

Also, thirteen kids at my place last night. That's a good quarter of the town's population.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The mayors house would be a no-brainer for me. :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's stupid how cheap Saab NG900s and 9-3s are getting in my neck of the woods.

Also just got back from Japan, what up, you guys elected another loving Trudeau as soon as I get on a plane out of the country?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Also just got back from Japan, what up, you guys elected another loving Trudeau as soon as I get on a plane out of the country?

Man you're supposed to bring back GOOD ideas from other countries.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The most important thing I learned from Japan is that Funassyi is basically keeping their economy afloat. Motherfucker added $8bn CAD to their GDP in 2014.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

My "Alberta Summer Truck" plan worked out awesomely well, nearly perfectly, and I owe some thanks to this thread and several of the denizens here. Thank you!

I'm already daydreaming about next year. A big part of my funding (salary + money to spend on work stuff) in this post-doc position comes from Fort McMurray and the project I'm involved with there. This means that unless I get another job (academia is a weird, weird career) I'll be spending some time up there next summer, probably more than the 2 weeks I spent this summer.

My Ranger worked so goddam well at solving so many problems, most of which had less to do with her being a truck and more to do with her being a highway-legal motor vehicle. The truck stuff I needed to this year were mostly one-offs, like moving from Saskatoon to Waterloo. So I'm contemplating next year's "Alberta Summer Vehicle" and I've always had a soft spot for 90's Saabs.
How available (and how expensive if they're around) are convertible, manual, turbo-charged Saabs?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wouldn't bother with a convertible just because a soft top introduces so many more opportunities for parts unavailability to gently caress you in the rear end. You'd have to ask the Saab thread for general impressions at how practical keeping an NG900 or a 9-3 on the road is.

I've worked on a Viggen this year that still had a lot of parts available, but I could see the frayed edges of where I could reasonably be hunting down a parts car because new parts would be unavailable. That set off the hoarder-tendencies alarm a bit, and I'm saying that as a guy who pre-emptively started stocking Saab junkyard parts a few years ago after the bankruptcy because he anticipated picking one up for $500 about now.

Tintop turbo NG Saabs seem to be pretty common, though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's too bad you want a NG. I've seen a place in Sundance that has 3 classic 900s in the driveway/garage. Pretty sure you could get one for cheap if the wife answers the door.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

After wrenching on a couple of NG900s for several years with my brother (who is a Saab fanatic), I've really come to loathe those cars.

There are so many obtuse design decisions in them, they make working on them such a pain in the rear end (try changing a fuel pump in one of these fuckers). And this is coming from a BMW owner.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Slung Blade posted:

Who was able to help you move that thing? I've got a half ton with a fifth wheel hitch, but the tow weight you posted was way outside the limit for a 25 year old grandpa truck. Felt bad I couldn't offer to help :smith:

Also, thirteen kids at my place last night. That's a good quarter of the town's population.

I found a buddy who had a sufficient hitch in his F250. It sucked to be him though, the power landing gear needed batteries that weren't stone dead, so we had to crank them up by hand, and it took about 30 minutes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Oh man, just cancelled my internet with Shaw, what a loving poo poo show that was. I can't believe they can get away with being that passive aggressive and defensive on the call. Glad to be rid of those fuckers.

MrChips posted:

After wrenching on a couple of NG900s for several years with my brother (who is a Saab fanatic), I've really come to loathe those cars.

There are so many obtuse design decisions in them, they make working on them such a pain in the rear end (try changing a fuel pump in one of these fuckers). And this is coming from a BMW owner.

I want to hate GM era Saab but I always imagine that whole department was just a handful of engineers that were bitter and jaded after a decade of having to collaborate with Fiat while having their mainstay be the ancient 900 and just said "gently caress it" when the GM corporate fatcats told them they had to platform share. I imagine every component was meticulously poured over by Saab engineers to determine what changes would piss of GM corporate the most.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Oh man, just cancelled my internet with Shaw, what a loving poo poo show that was. I can't believe they can get away with being that passive aggressive and defensive on the call. Glad to be rid of those fuckers.

I want to hate GM era Saab but I always imagine that whole department was just a handful of engineers that were bitter and jaded after a decade of having to collaborate with Fiat while having their mainstay be the ancient 900 and just said "gently caress it" when the GM corporate fatcats told them they had to platform share. I imagine every component was meticulously poured over by Saab engineers to determine what changes would piss of GM corporate the most.

I have a legacy unlimited plan with shaw, which is good because i go through about 3tb a month.

8am to midnight it sits around 12-13mbps, but overnight it'll easily do 17mbps which is about a gig a minute.

$1750 wouldn't have been a bad price for a 150k km turbo stick shift saab if you wanted something to drive. i can't imagine it would be "fun" or "reliable", but when your alternatives at that price are P71s and caravans, it begins to look a lot sweeter.

edit:

ohfuckyeah. 2 stroke cabover. that motherfucker would make hellish noises.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 3, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Good, gently caress Shaw. I've been with Telus for three years now and you couldn't pay me enough to go back.

As for Saab, that's pretty much what happened. When they were told, "go build the 900 replacement on this platform" and were handed the specs for the GM2900, they pretty much went and changed everything at enormous expense. That pissed off GM management, who told them a few years later, "here's our wonderful new Epsilon platform, go build a new 9-3 on it, and you better not gently caress with it this time!", they did anyways, basically creating the Epsilon 2 in the process.

There are other stories too; like how when they were given GM's corporate satnav system to put in their cars, they basically decided to throw it all in the garbage and build their own from the ground up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Teksavvy dsl in Alberta uses Telus infrastructure and had been super reliable for me once past the initial install. Unlimited is a thing for a reasonable price too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MrChips posted:

Good, gently caress Shaw. I've been with Telus for three years now and you couldn't pay me enough to go back.

As for Saab, that's pretty much what happened. When they were told, "go build the 900 replacement on this platform" and were handed the specs for the GM2900, they pretty much went and changed everything at enormous expense. That pissed off GM management, who told them a few years later, "here's our wonderful new Epsilon platform, go build a new 9-3 on it, and you better not gently caress with it this time!", they did anyways, basically creating the Epsilon 2 in the process.

There are other stories too; like how when they were given GM's corporate satnav system to put in their cars, they basically decided to throw it all in the garbage and build their own from the ground up.

James May did a great send off to them on Top Gear that encapsulates it pretty well. Saab got a raw deal, they tried really hard to forge a technical partnership with Fiat with the 9000/Thema/Chroma/164 platform that ended up being a death by a million small cuts. They bled themselves dry trying to stick to their virtues and GM picked them up on the cheap after that.

slidebite posted:

Teksavvy dsl in Alberta uses Telus infrastructure and had been super reliable for me once past the initial install. Unlimited is a thing for a reasonable price too.

Went with Teksavvy cable which is basically shaw's infrastructure but I do like the unlimited which is like $5 extra a month.

My issue with Shaw was their garbage modem and the ridiculous rate hikes. It was amazing how pissy the woman got with me once I brought up both those points as the reason I was cancelling.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Shaw in Calgary will deliberately gently caress up your appointments to cancel their service and intentionally sabotage their end of the infrastructure to prevent TekSavvy from installing if they find out you're going to them. It's happened to a bunch of my coworkers, past and present.

TekSavvy has no recourse when this happens except to repeatedly ask you politely to wait for Shaw to do their jobs.

If they do this to you, immediately contact the CRTC.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2015/08/12/shaw-slows-service-for-switching-to-teksavvy--say-customers.html

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 3, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Shaw in Calgary will deliberately gently caress up your appointments to cancel their service and intentionally sabotage their end of the infrastructure to prevent TekSavvy from installing if they find out you're going to them. It's happened to a bunch of my coworkers, past and present.

TekSavvy has no recourse when this happens except to repeatedly ask you politely to wait for Shaw to do their jobs.

If they do this to you, immediately contact the CRTC.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2015/08/12/shaw-slows-service-for-switching-to-teksavvy--say-customers.html

I'm fully expecting it to be an issue based on how the call went. I didn't mention who I was going to though so we'll see how it goes. If its more than a day late I plan on getting the CRTC involved seeing as I've given them more than a month's notice that I'm cancelling.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The other thing they do is send a contractor to physically disconnect your "unused lines" a few days after you switch to TekSavvy.

When you call them on it, they'll pretend it was a common clerical error, and then put your ticket at the very end of the list or drop it altogether. If you switch back to Shaw they magically hook you up same day.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 3, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All teksaavy offers here is 25mbps DSL, telus themselves offers 100mbps DSL, albeit with a 500gb cap.

That's like selling a sports car with a 2 liter tank.

It's unbelievable how far backwards these companies have been allowed to push canadian internet service. telus's basic DSL was the same speed, cheaper, and with no cap in 2004. 11 loving years with negative progress.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The other thing they do is send a contractor to physically disconnect your "unused lines" a few days after you switch to TekSavvy.

When you call them on it, they'll pretend it was a common clerical error, and then put your ticket at the very end of the list or drop it altogether. If you switch back to Shaw they magically hook you up same day.

My parents had a similar issue when they were moving. I forget the exact context but they basically needed a telus contractor on site and telus kept blowing them off. They went to the CRTC and magically it got fixed within 24 hours. :iiam:

Powershift posted:

It's unbelievable how far backwards these companies have been allowed to push canadian internet service. telus's basic DSL was the same speed, cheaper, and with no cap in 2004. 11 loving years with negative progress.

Its seriously mind boggling. I don't know of any industry where you can raise the price of your service 10% in loving 14 months with no change to the quality of service provided.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

So, the "BMW M Experience" in internet form?

It really is awful how far we've let things slide, especially now that bandwidth is near as makes no difference too cheap to meter. And the tired old argument that the telcos use of "bbbbut Canada is so huge and spread out :qq:" is bullshit - 85% of us live in cities.

What do we have to do to get all Google Fiber up in this poo poo? (apart from bribe the CRTC)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

All teksaavy offers here is 25mbps DSL, telus themselves offers 100mbps DSL, albeit with a 500gb cap.

Teksavvy probably offers 50MB in your area too (they do in most of Alberta), you just have to ask for it as it's technically still in beta and might be bonded.

But I hear you, this rolling backwards in service is just :wtc: in 2015.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It got just cold enough that frost stuck to the vinyl but not the metal. It's so loving shiny!

slidebite posted:

Teksavvy probably offers 50MB in your area too (they do in most of Alberta), you just have to ask for it as it's technically still in beta and might be bonded.

But I hear you, this rolling backwards in service is just :wtc: in 2015.

Imagine ford coming out with a new 2016 mustang GT with 260hp, only in canada, and only $5000 more than last year's model. The new samsung galaxy being a $1000 fliphone. A new liberal majority gov......gently caress.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

$1750 wouldn't have been a bad price for a 150k km turbo stick shift saab if you wanted something to drive. i can't imagine it would be "fun" or "reliable", but when your alternatives at that price are P71s and caravans, it begins to look a lot sweeter.

This is very helpful, thanks. I budgeted $4000 for my summer truck this year, she cost $2500 to buy and around $1500 in maintenance over 6 months, so I stayed in-budget. Something similar for next year - if I find myself in a position to do this - seems reasonable. And there's no way I'm going to even look at a P71. I owned a fuckin' Dodge Grand Caravan for more than 7 years, long ago, and the less said about that, the better.

My next car is completely made of fairydust and unicorn farts at this point, but it's fun to daydream about it. Any potential, possible car purchase is like 8 months away so it's not even worth trying to sneak a "recommend me a car" question into a thread somewhere, so if you guys want me to piss off with this I can. Barring that request, any other ideas you want to put forward? My Ranger is very practical, I'd like to swing pretty far the other direction.

I've arranged for my internet to be with Teksavvy here in Onterrible. They'll turn me on this weekend, I hope. I can't remember the numbers I was getting in Saskatoon from Sasktel DSL, but I don't have the feeling that progress has been made in a forward direction. I think I'll be paying a bit more ($65/mo vs. $50) for essentially the same service but with a (generous?) cap rather than the unlimited I had in 'Stoon. I might be wrong about having unlimited, but certainly I never went over any limits in the ~6 years I was with Sasktel.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ExecuDork posted:

My next car is completely made of fairydust and unicorn farts at this point, but it's fun to daydream about it. Any potential, possible car purchase is like 8 months away so it's not even worth trying to sneak a "recommend me a car" question into a thread somewhere, so if you guys want me to piss off with this I can. Barring that request, any other ideas you want to put forward? My Ranger is very practical, I'd like to swing pretty far the other direction.

SVX so I can live vicariously through you. and you have the help of 1500q porsche

Also, regarding Teksavvy, if you feel brave enough to wade into a forum populated with diagnosable autists, the Teksavvy forum on DSL reports is the place to keep up with all things teksavvy and the agents there are generally really quick on the ball with questions and issues.

My DSL connection has been rock-solid with them 99.9999% of the time, but the hook-up was a bit of a cluster but I put that more towards the incumbents than them.

Start.ca also has pretty good feedback, not sure about unlimited options though.

e: Start.ca not smart.ca duh

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 3, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Start.ca prices can be higher for unlimited but they're also more careful not to oversell their network.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

SVX so I can live vicariously through you. and you have the help of 1500q porsche
This is a good suggestion.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I actually would enjoy returning to wrenching on an SVX in an arms length capacity where I'm not daily driving it and paranoid over every little noise it makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/medicine-hat/tiger-truck-1984-nissan-4-x-4/1114914256?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If this thing actually runs and the body is in half as good of shape as it looks, hell, it's worth it.

The Tiger wrap is just the icing on the cake.

e: Have fun reading about your favorite places to eat!
http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/707.asp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 3, 2015