Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Belzac posted:

Lol at people still complaining about netcode. Australians have beaten savage on NA servers. You for real?

Never said it isn't beatable. Just saying it causes more wipes then it should, which prevents you from getting to the only phase that takes time to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

They beat it early because they negated an entire mechanic. How early on the enrage did Elysium kill a4s? Since they actually dealt with nisi.
The coordination required to do all the mechanics properly is an even bigger feat than figuring out how to break the entire fight like Lucrezia did; Elysium's kill happened within the castbar of the enrage. Even then, the sheer damage Lucrezia did is pretty ridiculous compared to what Elysium was doing.

ActionZero posted:

My group hasn't reached A4S yet but this resembles our setup (we have a MCH instead of BRD), what is it about this setup and the fight that makes for a bad time?
Anyone that requires mana to do anything would be screwed on A4S if you want to do the cheesy method. That's not a problem if you do it the "correct" way, but instead you're faced with a really, really, really lovely mechanic you have to deal with for almost 10 minutes of the fight, that has to be dealt with by people who also have to do other things at the time and at the same time not be near other people doing other things at the time. A SMN is either going to sit on their rear end spamming energy drain and forget about fester existing for A4S, or switch to playing a BLM for that fight alone, should you want to cheese it

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
If you can't pass debuffs 100% consistently then its your strategy that needs a rework, not the netcode.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I didn't like T9 because the boss fight was mechanically interesting, it's also overwhelming and the three phases of the fight are very different from one another. The golems and meteors is mechanic enough for one whole boss, yet here is just the preamble.

you just listed everything that was great about T9.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

So close to freedom from Seal Rock

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Starting to get a little worried about how I'm going to deal with some bosses, playing on satellite internet. I'm only on Titan Extreme, and I'm already having trouble with AoE templates showing up after it's already too late to move.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I can't speak for raid stuff as I've not cleared anything past the first coil other than A1 but Titan Ex might be one of the most unforgiving latency bosses you can encounter somewhat casually.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
When you're ready to raid you won't even need the aoe indicators.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Any fight with an instant kill mechanic in it is bad for high latency, though it is possible to work around it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

By possible to work around it they mean do it over and over until you have literally memorized the entire attack sequence to the point you can run the fight with your eyes closed. And also hope that the drg isn't standing in weird spots that cause an attack to land where you don't expect it.

High latency can be worked around, but it is an artificial layer of difficulty that generally doesn't add to the fun of an encounter unless you are a masochist. I find TEX to be a fun fight but I'd have given up on it long ago if I had to go full savant to beat it.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I mean, how high latency are we talking? 250ms? That just makes you an aussie. 500ms? You're playing last week.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
There's something satisfying about carrying a guy who complains he can't do content with his less than optimal ping and the people carrying him are at 200-300ms.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Outside of ninja, how bad does your ping have to be before it costs you dps? This game seems pretty good about ability queuing but I wonder if there is a point where you just can't do good dps because your buttons are too slow. This is my first mmo and really one of the first online games I've tried to play seriously so I've never really thought about this before.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Yes, I believe that truely challenging content should require enough attempts that you understand the mechanics and timings before you are able to beat it.

You disagree? Fite me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My ping is something like 110 average and the only thing in this game that has truly aggravated me WRT lag is Mudras

That's my story, thank you for reading

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sarrisan posted:

Outside of ninja, how bad does your ping have to be before it costs you dps? This game seems pretty good about ability queuing but I wonder if there is a point where you just can't do good dps because your buttons are too slow. This is my first mmo and really one of the first online games I've tried to play seriously so I've never really thought about this before.

I have about 260ms with uh, varying levels of stability and I have a fair few times that spells and stuff will fail. Mashing the button hard will usually bypass that but it can be a big pain if you have a stack about to fall off before you can refresh it. Using something like WTFast can help smooth it out, thankfully.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ilifinicus posted:

Anyone that requires mana to do anything would be screwed on A4S if you want to do the cheesy method. That's not a problem if you do it the "correct" way, but instead you're faced with a really, really, really lovely mechanic you have to deal with for almost 10 minutes of the fight, that has to be dealt with by people who also have to do other things at the time and at the same time not be near other people doing other things at the time. A SMN is either going to sit on their rear end spamming energy drain and forget about fester existing for A4S, or switch to playing a BLM for that fight alone, should you want to cheese it

Guess it's a good thing I've been working on levelling and gearing MNK as an alternative DPS (I'm the SMN in my group).

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Sarrisan posted:

It costs DPS with even moderate ping, double weaves start clipping into the GCD or won't queue properly, on BLM it can be particularly nasty with stuff like casting a spell that should of registered some proc effect first, stuck in an interrupted spell.

You can do good DPS in spite of all of these, enough for all the content in the game.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

nuru posted:

I mean, how high latency are we talking? 250ms? That just makes you an aussie. 500ms? You're playing last week.

Wildly variable. :(
Usually not bad, but I get frequent spikes of a second or two. Long enough for me to see the orange strips just starting to appear just as I'm flying off the edge of the cliff.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Helping goons clear story content is a rewarding experience :kimchi:

except when pubs have made you so jaded you assume everyone is playing wrong :negative:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Satellite latency is like 500-800 ms usually with occasional peaks into multiple seconds, so even pre-moving and memorizing the fight aren't going to be as effective there. Any kind of latency sensitive game is going to be lovely on satellite.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Tbh, I don't know a lot about coding. But I've played other games with all of these things on ps3 and graphics were the only thing said to be held back by it. Of course, they could be a much more optimised game, but I really don't buy the restrictions thing for everything. It just seems a go-to excuse to shut people up most of the time.

This was from a thread about parsers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Drizvolta posted:

Helping goons clear story content is a rewarding experience :kimchi:

except when pubs have made you so jaded you assume everyone is playing wrong :negative:

In your defense I am probably usually playing wrong.

Also I feel like I die in goon groups way more than random pubs.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
My first glamour outfit is complete! :allears:

Ohojo Kai looks really good when you dye it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kettlepip posted:

you just listed everything that was great about T9.

I am only human and I have human weaknesses.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Reading that post about jp had a greater better community is just nuts, they have double the amount of people in NA to clear A4S. americans suck i guess

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I keep being told they have a healthier DF/PF learning community, but I've never heard firsthand accounts. I don't remember the specific details, but something like people learn in PF so they can go clear in DF?

I figured the lockouts were more of a wall for it than anything else.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah but they also have informal banlists on various chan sites where people anonymously gather to poo poo talk people and shun them from groups, justified or not, because they don't want to be seen publicly stirring up poo poo so you know, grass is greener.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

A part of me wants to transfer to Chocobo and see how well I can get along via the auto-translate for fun.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
It sounded like the biggest thing was PF groups that focus on training people for encounters and players that are willing to learn.

Last time I tried to give advice to a healer while tanking he reported me to a GM for harassment.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Eej posted:

Yeah but they also have informal banlists on various chan sites where people anonymously gather to poo poo talk people and shun them from groups, justified or not, because they don't want to be seen publicly stirring up poo poo so you know, grass is greener.

I doubt its on the levels of helldump but it seems like they keep it out of japanese reddit posts.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

LordNat posted:

It sounded like the biggest thing was PF groups that focus on training people for encounters and players that are willing to learn.

Last time I tried to give advice to a healer while tanking he reported me to a GM for harassment.

Last time I tried to give advice to a tank, he told me that it disrespects the content.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Finally hit 40 on my BLM and it really is night and day in terms of my damage output now that I can switch straight from Astral 3 to Umbral 3 and vice versa :allears: My blizzard phases are super short now thanks to 3 stacks of MP regen plus the fact that I don't have to wait for Transpose's cooldown to expire before I can switch back to burn phase, and starting burn phases with 3 stacks of Astral means I am lighting motherfuckers up. It was all worth it :unsmith:

I'm about half a level away from Firestarter too :getin:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Not to further deflate that ball, but, uh, why would you need Transpose to switch back to Astral?

Just let Umbral fall off after 10 seconds and start that way. You can use Scathe or Thunder while in Umbral to avoid refreshing the Umbral stack. Or just burn through it. Way faster than waiting for Transpose. The real reason to use Transpose to move away from Astral before you get Blizzard III is to start regenning MP that much faster.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

loquacius posted:

Finally hit 40 on my BLM and it really is night and day in terms of my damage output now that I can switch straight from Astral 3 to Umbral 3 and vice versa :allears: My blizzard phases are super short now thanks to 3 stacks of MP regen plus the fact that I don't have to wait for Transpose's cooldown to expire before I can switch back to burn phase, and starting burn phases with 3 stacks of Astral means I am lighting motherfuckers up. It was all worth it :unsmith:

I'm about half a level away from Firestarter too :getin:

Sadly it all changes again at 60. From what I read when I was debating maxing out my BLM next you just stand there and spam Fire 4 as much as you can while you cast Ice 4 once in awhile to keep Enochian up.

The guide I watched said for raids it is better to stand in AoE and let the healers deal with the damage then it is to move at all and lose Enochian.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Not to further deflate that ball, but, uh, why would you need Transpose to switch back to Astral?

Just let Umbral fall off after 10 seconds and start that way. You can use Scathe or Thunder while in Umbral to avoid refreshing the Umbral stack. Or just burn through it. Way faster than waiting for Transpose. The real reason to use Transpose to move away from Astral before you get Blizzard III is to start regenning MP that much faster.

Because you don't need to start regenerating MP that urgently, and it's better to start DPSing when you already have a stack of astral.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

The justification was "to keep dealing damage while making sure I get a second Umbral stack to get my MP back faster, then start out Astral with some Astral already" but I don't know whether that was optimal and I no longer care because it doesn't matter anymore

LordNat posted:

Sadly it all changes again at 60. From what I read when I was debating maxing out my BLM next you just stand there and spam Fire 4 as much as you can while you cast Ice 4 once in awhile to keep Enochian up.

The guide I watched said for raids it is better to stand in AoE and let the healers deal with the damage then it is to move at all and lose Enochian.

This is my first time even hearing the word "Enochian" and I looked it up and wow they really don't want BLMs to move ever do they

e: the most annoying part for me is that currently if I change my mind regarding which spell I want to be casting or hit the wrong button or something I move a little bit to cancel the cast; at 60 this behavior would apparently cripple me

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 3, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just play the game and figure it out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you're in low enough content that you don't have Blizzard 3/Fire 3 your rotation doesn't really matter that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009

loquacius posted:

This is my first time even hearing the word "Enochian" and I looked it up and wow they really don't want BLMs to move ever do they

Ya at 60 you just want to stand still in Ley Lines and spam Fire 4 (with a fire 1/3 to keep your stacks up) as much as you can with a Ice 3 each 25 or so secs to keep in Enochia for as long as you can. Most people say Thunder 1-3 is not even worth casting since it is a DPS loss even with Thundercloud procs.

I don't get why BLM has to constantly change it's style of play based on it's level. Below 40 it is a tempo phase shifting class, at 50 it is a proc based spammer, and at 60 it is a Howitzer.

• Locked thread