Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not connected to an idiot spouting nonsense about the NHS:

According to someone I know who works on one, more and more county councils are devolving responsibilities for things like road repair, tree trimming and the like to parish councils. Except they're not giving them any more money. This means that one of three things will happen.

1. Services will have to go and roads will get worse.
or
2. Council land will be sold off to cheap to developers.
or
3. Council tax will go up dramatically despite no rise in services performed.

Trick question, actually it's all three.

Having responsibility for the roads will bankrupt parish councils very quickly - for the councillor I talked to, the amount of money they're getting from the council tax hike will pay for one pothole to be filled annually, and accidents caused by poor road surfaces will not only keep happening but will also increase in number, with the parish council liable for damages.

The county council has also given them the opportunity to have the trees trimmed once this year for free by the county council, after that they have to pay for it.

Of course they can just cut all the trees down, which the county council has offered to do for free.

And she's a parish councillor for one of the richest towns in the UK, in Tory heartland.

In short, by the time the Tories are out of power we'll be living in a concrete wasteland with no trees and dirt paths for roads.

They should just deal with the roads the way they were dealt with where I lived in the countryside around Derry, do nothing until the farmers get fed up and fill the pot holes themselves, not that they ever did a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

The NHS is good and has helped me tremendously with my melanoma and any of yoos talkin trash about my NHS and I'll burn you like a poppy.

Similarly my dad just got out of recovery for bowel cancer, the NHS is great, gently caress that dipshit with his ill-informed reckons.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

It's good as a "hey when I slam my dick in the door while jerking off it stops feeling much after then tenth go and a little bit of blood comes out IS IT CANCER?!>" screening service.

the reality is you are trading a small problem (nhs wastage) with a disproportional effect (underfunding exacerbating the problem) for a different risk (clinical malpractice and misdiagnosis).

It will never make more sense than hiring another clinician, since it creates far too much risk

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

baka kaba posted:

This is one of the big things that gets me really - so much of Tory policy (and its knock-on effects) involves passing the buck, and it's almost never mentioned. Their flagship 'free childcare' policy is pretty much issuing a decree to childcare providers, "you're going to make this happen, out of your own pocket, work something out". Cuts are called 'efficiency savings' but they're never backed by a set of identified efficiencies, just "you're getting less funding, deal with it". Devolving powers and funding is just going to mean central government absolving itself of yet more responsibility and leave local government to work out which limb to cut off.

It would be one thing if they were getting held to account for this, but it seems like they can shift all the responsibility onto someone else and avoid the blame when the consequences are bad. And that means they can pretty much do anything

Of course. They also still blaming 'the last government'. Facts. have no place here

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

StoneOfShame posted:

They should just deal with the roads the way they were dealt with where I lived in the countryside around Derry, do nothing until the farmers get fed up and fill the pot holes themselves, not that they ever did a good job.

The roads are especially bad around there because it's on a route between two places which have lots of trucks going between them, which destroys the roads but generates no local economic benefit.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah it's called The Big Society, gently caress!

Big Dave (HFADP) has a goal for society, and it's basically modelled on a post-apocalyptic survival community scenario

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

StoneOfShame posted:

the Irish doing a shoddy job of laying tarmac you say?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Maybe we can hire the Luftwaffe to bomb London again, get some of that Blitz spirit going on.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Big Society is allegedly the only thing that David Cameron actually gave a poo poo about ever (in policy terms, obviously excluding dead pigs). Which, as it was an ill-conceived and ill-communicated mess, is pretty laffo.

Basically he wanted people to be involved with the local area more, without actually noticing that the reason people aren't is because the Tories cut all of the local activity groups and encouraged the national and international movement of labour (partially as a side effect of destroying industries with significant non-transferable skills in order to kneecap the unions).

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 3, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Healthcare bills are the biggest cause of bankruptcy in America, we do not want to go down that potholed road.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The roads are especially bad around there because it's on a route between two places which have lots of trucks going between them, which destroys the roads but generates no local economic benefit.
Sell the roads to private companies who can install periodic tollbooths, thereby creating local jobs as tollbooth attendants and a nice cash lump sum for local investment. It's basically free money!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
She needs massive cuts in government spending, not a new maternity unit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's telling that, from my experience and the experiences of friends I've been told about, the area that I've lived that has had the greatest "Big Society" feel is Cambridge, due to the university and high tech industry there encouraging people in the sciences to stick around for decades and decades and decades.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Big Society is allegedly the only thing that David Cameron actually gave a poo poo about ever (in policy terms, obviously excluding dead pigs). Which, as it was an ill-conceived and ill-communicated mess, is pretty laffo.

he used to be big drug reform and gave a speech about it that upset all the old tories so he sold out the only thing he actually cared about to be successful

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe his new plan is to enable drug reform by cutting the police force/customs/border force so badly that they can't actually do anything about drugs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe his new plan is to enable drug reform by cutting the police force/customs/border force so badly that they can't actually do anything about drugs.

The cuts to UKAD (UK anti-doping) mean that they can barely do anything for professional sports, let alone amateur sports. So basically yes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...nnabis-use.html

from a little earlier in the year but:

Three more police forces signal that they will turn blind eye to cannabis use

PCC's in Derbyshire, Dorset and Surrey follow Durham in suggesting that catching dangerous criminals must take priority

Three more police forces have signalled that those who grow cannabis for their own consumption will not be targeted, it has emerged. Those caught smoking or cultivating the drug on a small scale in Derbyshire, Dorset and Surrey, can expect to escape with little more than a caution, according to reports. The development comes after Durham Constabulary declared it would only go after people using the drug if there was a complaint or if they were being “blatant”.

The change in attitudes will be seen as a further step towards decriminalisation and follows claims by drug experts that police forces across Britain are quietly turning a blind eye to cannabis use in order to focus their attentions on more pressing priorities. While the Government has insisted it has no intention of relaxing the laws on Class B narcotic, police chiefs have increasingly been taking a more lenient approach, with users more likely to receive a warning than face prosecution. Police and crime commissioners (PCCs) are understood to be coming under pressure to outline their priorities to chief constables. Alan Charles, Derbyshire's PCC, said he did not support legalisation but no longer expects officers to chase people growing cannabis for personal use. The former Labour councillor told the Daily Mail: "When we are faced with significant budget cuts we cannot keep turning out to every single thing reported to us."

Kevin Hurley, Surrey's PCC, branded the row a "pointless debate", adding that answering 999 calls and catching dangerous criminals must come first.

He said: "On the list of priorities cannabis moves a long way down the chain." The third PCC, Martyn Underhill of Dorset, said he supported Durham's stance and was keen to investigate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All of the benefits of legalization with none of the taxes.

And the police still get to go after blacktant users.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Some of that police time is now going to be dedicated to launching and monitoring police drones in my local area, apparently Warwickshire Police have launched a surveillance drone pilot scheme in my town :tinfoil:

Does anyone have an air rifle I can borrow?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Going back to NHS Chat for a bit, because it's one of the few areas where a majority of British people can all agree & not be saying something morally abhorrent, it's obviously great. It's also far from perfect. Compromises have to be made, some treatments are just not affordable, & yes, waiting lists can be depressingly wrong. And certainly in my neck of the woods, mental health care is clearly over-stretched. Because of that it's far too easy to slip through the gaps.

But I fail to see how that's anything but the fault of "starve the beast" politics and while reforms certainly can be made to improve things, I'm instantly sceptical of anyone whose solution involves opening it up to private profit or mutters bullshit about choice. I don't want choice of which place to go for my treatment, I want to know I'll get the same standard of care no matter where in the country I live and I certainly don't want to waste time panicking about where I should go when my appendix is about to burst.

Guavanaut posted:

All of the benefits of legalization with none of the taxes.
This government is so stupid.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Basically he wanted people to be involved with the local area more, without actually noticing that the reason people aren't is because the Tories cut all of the local activity groups and encouraged the national and international movement of labour (partially as a side effect of destroying industries with significant non-transferable skills in order to kneecap the unions).

Yeah, but why did he want that? I mean if your goal is to shrink the state and cut services, having local communities fend for themselves and rely on charity and altruism is definitely one way to go about it

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

PlantHead posted:

Are there any more nurses to hire? the NHS is one of the biggest employers in the world and the nursing care in the bigger hospitals on the normal wards is basically poo poo.
It needs to be changed not fed more money.

The nursing care on the intensive care unit and plastics unit I spent a month on was exemplary.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 3, 2015

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Serotonin posted:

The nursing care on the intensive care unit and plastics unit I spent a month on was exemplary

The midwives on the labour ward I spent two and a half weeks on were all awesome too. Also the SCBU nurses from the 11 days my daughter spent in Special Care.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Yeah, but why did he want that? I mean if your goal is to shrink the state and cut services, having local communities fend for themselves and rely on charity and altruism is definitely one way to go about it

Cameron wants the benefits of communism under the tenets of capitalism.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

In fact everyone I have dealt with in the last 6 months of my illness has been a credit to the NHS, from the volunteers at the front of house who show people the right way to go, to the housekeeper on the ward who always made sure that food was available to me whenever I was being shipped off for scans etc, to the Consultant ITU who saved my life, the surgeon who saved my arm, the ITU nurse who wrote a diary daily for me to let me know what happened for the 10 days I was unconscious, the district nurses who came to see me at home and included my young kids in the care, and to the physios who for the last 4 months have been giving me daily physio and supporting me.
Every loving one has been there for me and my family, going the extra mile, and I will cut anyone who says otherwise.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm chatting on fb with a girl I've been flirting with at work and she's just started sending me links to dailymail.co.uk stories and I'm like should I eject right now or what

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

PlantHead posted:

Are there any more nurses to hire? the NHS is one of the biggest employers in the world and the nursing care in the bigger hospitals on the normal wards is basically poo poo.
It needs to be changed not fed more money.

one major change that everyone agrees is required is and end to the chronic short staffing that means nurses are overworked and care standards have to suffer.
if you can do that without spending more money total you're a magician.
"biggest employer in the world" is a meaningless statistic. in other countries you'd get similar or higher nurse:patient ratios but because the health service is organised differently you'd not total them all up as under one employer.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Serotonin posted:

the ITU nurse who wrote a diary daily for me to let me know what happened for the 10 days I was unconscious
That's cool as gently caress. Is that standard procedure? On the face of it it's such a small thing that it would seem inconsequential in the usual pressure and stress of working in a hospital but I bet it pays dividends in a patient's mental wellbeing after they wake up from being under for any unusually long length of time.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oberleutnant posted:

That's cool as gently caress. Is that standard procedure? On the face of it it's such a small thing that it would seem inconsequential in the usual pressure and stress of working in a hospital but I bet it pays dividends in a patient's mental wellbeing after they wake up from being under for any unusually long length of time.

No idea, i dont think so.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Serotonin posted:

In fact everyone I have dealt with in the last 6 months of my illness has been a credit to the NHS, from the volunteers at the front of house who show people the right way to go, to the housekeeper on the ward who always made sure that food was available to me whenever I was being shipped off for scans etc, to the Consultant ITU who saved my life, the surgeon who saved my arm, the ITU nurse who wrote a diary daily for me to let me know what happened for the 10 days I was unconscious, the district nurses who came to see me at home and included my young kids in the care, and to the physios who for the last 4 months have been giving me daily physio and supporting me.
Every loving one has been there for me and my family, going the extra mile, and I will cut anyone who says otherwise.
What on earth happened, if you don't mind me asking?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 3, 2015

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm chatting on fb with a girl I've been flirting with at work and she's just started sending me links to dailymail.co.uk stories and I'm like should I eject right now or what

To be fair, she might have just misjudged you horribly.

The only reasonable time to link a DM story is if it relates to archaeology, as the photos they put up are often amazingly good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

Respond by sending her links to marxists.org

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Kegluneq posted:

The only reasonable time to link a DM story is if it relates to archaeology, as the photos they put up are often amazingly good.
Its personal finance section can be pretty reasonable.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zephro posted:

What on earth happened, if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like you were really unwell.

Sero's arm got possessed by the spirit of Tories past and rotted to the bone almost instantly.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Zephro posted:

What on earth happened, if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like you were really unwell.

I had a sore throat that progressed to flu like symptoms, which within 4 days became sepsis and septic shock and led to compartment syndrome, had a heart attack (medication induced), multi organ failure and pancreatitis.
To save my arm they had to do a fasciotomy, and left my arm looking like this

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/Q1OtLJY.jpg

6 months later it looks like this: https://twitter.com/apooins/status/660766845994147840

Ive been left pretty disabled,as my right hand/arm really doesnt work very well, hence the 4 months of daily intensive hand physio. Still, at one point they were sure I was a goner or at least would lose the arm.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Serotonin posted:

I had a sore throat that progressed to flu like symptoms, which within 4 days became sepsis and septic shock and led to compartment syndrome, had a heart attack (medication induced), multi organ failure and pancreatitis.

6 months later it looks like this: https://twitter.com/apooins/status/660766845994147840

Ive been left pretty disabled,as my right hand/arm really doesnt work very well, hence the 4 months of daily intensive hand physio. Still, at one point they were sure I was a goner or at least would lose the arm.

Jesus Christ.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Pissflaps posted:

Jesus Christ.

Manflu can kill

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's telling that, from my experience and the experiences of friends I've been told about, the area that I've lived that has had the greatest "Big Society" feel is Cambridge, due to the university and high tech industry there encouraging people in the sciences to stick around for decades and decades and decades.

Small, rural, poor villages have that, I lived near one called Greysteel and it had a great community.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Serotonin posted:

What on earth was the original cause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Serotonin posted:

Bloody hell :( Really sorry to hear that...

Was it a bacterial infection that somehow got into your blood?

• Locked thread