Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
At this point, isn't it more length rather than special characters that stop a dedicated hacking attempt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That's restricted too, and having at least one of each kind of character helps. Those
restrictions do nothing but narrow things down for hackers.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

dogstile posted:

At this point, isn't it more length rather than special characters that stop a dedicated hacking attempt?

Randall Monroe apologized to people for his simplification but I don't know if he ever apologized for the effect it has on threads like this.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

dogstile posted:

It's also a sign that they're potentially storing it as plain text somewhere since if it were properly hashed it could any arbitrary length you want. This is only relevant because of how opaque businesses are about their security in general.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

the littlest prince posted:

Randall Monroe apologized to people for his simplification but I don't know if he ever apologized for the effect it has on threads like this.

That flew over my head, but i'm assuming you're talking about something a bit more advanced than brute forcing and i'm not a security guy, so its more of a question than a statement if that helps.

All I know is that people told me 8 characters was awful and we should definitely use more.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I worked at a call center for a bank, and our passwords had to be exactly 8 characters, and a bunch of other specifications that vastly narrowed the options down.

In that case, though, internet access was almost completely shut down and a lot of people were the kind of computer illiterate who would have made their passwords Aaaaaaa1 if they could have.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
8+ characters, including at least one of all of these:
Upper case
Lower case
Numbers
Symbols

That's my phone's unlock password requirements. By the time I get it unlocked, I can't remember who I wanted to call.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I was surprised with how much they described the job in straight up terrible terms. At one point, they mentioned the migration from 600 AIX or Unix servers to all RHEL, and that hey were doing it in by end of year. They jokingly said "ah, we are all going to have awful holidays this year, hahahahah!" But there were was such sadness in their eyes.

Sure I want to inherit this team of Unix neck beards, and be the only RHEL guy because no one else is crazy enough to take this.

It's a symptom of defeated and repeatedly brow-beaten IT professionals. After a while they cope with the stress and rigors of their daily tasks by taking a weird martyr stance, as if their life is given substance through their misery. They're the kind of people who think that working less than 60 hours a week is incredibly strange and novel.

Throughout IT there are hordes of professionals that have been so used and abused by their salaried status that they don't see it as abnormal anymore, and I say this as someone who has been there before.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't think I (as a guy) need to like, rescue a girl, but I'm on a conference call and a guy is talking to a soft spoken woman with a massively condescending dickhead tone, and I've come here to say that I'm about to give him the "you're going to want to take the edge off your voice or I'll do it for you" bit if only to keep myself from actually doing it.

e: it had to come out of my body some how so I chose the internet rather than saying it on the phone. whew. that was close. SH/SC saves lives.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 3, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't think I (as a guy) need to like, rescue a girl, but I'm on a conference call and a guy is talking to a soft spoken woman with a massively condescending dickhead tone, and I've come here to say that I'm about to give him the "you're going to want to take the edge off your voice or I'll do it for you" bit if only to keep myself from actually doing it.

e: it had to come out of my body some how so I chose the internet rather than saying it on the phone. whew. that was close. SH/SC saves lives.

Another office disaster is averted.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh hey I can contribute to this thread now! I started with another new guy who has managed to piss off most of the team he's a part of. In an effort to save himself, he keeps very loudly asking me how much work i've done on specific projects that he knows i've not been working on.

I mean, jokes on him, I've been tasked with other projects, but its annoying me and I can't wait for my boss to call him out on it. He's noticed and he's the type of guy who loves waiting for the perfect moment. At the same time, gently caress you dude, clearly you're not busy enough if you're badgering me about what i'm doing all day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How have we EVER passed a PCI/DSS audit

:iiam:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

pixaal posted:

Straight up say "I make more that now that offer is insulting". Ask for more then your usual minimum to accept for the insult. Many places do not know the actual value of IT, and a ton of people under value their own skills and work for nothing. That or they are actually bad and can't get through an interview of a place that is paying the proper amount.

Heh. I was doing permanent contract and they wanted to pull me full time on a job. I was making about 60k as a contractor. The office manager pulls me in and says "We want to transition you to working for our company, hows 50k sound?" I respond "I make 60k now, no thanks." She then proceeds to go "Well how about this" and writes 55k on a slip of paper. I look down at it, flip it over and write "I make 60k now. No thanks." and slide it back.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bob Morales posted:

same way everyone else passes regulatory inspections. lying and bribes

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Heh. I was doing permanent contract and they wanted to pull me full time on a job. I was making about 60k as a contractor. The office manager pulls me in and says "We want to transition you to working for our company, hows 50k sound?" I respond "I make 60k now, no thanks." She then proceeds to go "Well how about this" and writes 55k on a slip of paper. I look down at it, flip it over and write "I make 60k now. No thanks." and slide it back.

55k + benefits is better than 60k without.

Also, depending on how you were paid as a contractor. For example, if you were 1099, the tax difference alone would make it worth it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

go3 posted:

same way everyone else passes regulatory inspections. lying and bribes

I just don't get how you could pass without the compliance company scanning your loving website.

At least we aren't typing credit card numbers down in customer files anymore!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

ConfusedUs posted:

This is completely dependent on if you have a significant other that may provide those benefits.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

This is completely dependent on if you have a significant other that may provide those benefits.

Paid leave. Plus the fact that taxes that you were formerly paying 100% of yourself is now being split between you and your employer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You sure that's the case with W2 contracts? I'm pretty sure it's not. And depending on the health benefits offered (W2s have health insurance), they may be pretty comparable aside from PTO/sick leave. And for someone making 60k, 5k is about 5 weeks, that's a lot of vacation time.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We had a server that became unresponsive and it ended up needing to be hard booted. Higher up blowhards want an RCA. I wrote same in flowery business speak. They want it "more granular". Alright what you want me to like describe the way I right clicked the VM or something? It's a server, the thing got rebooted, who cares, this is why we cluster and load balance everything.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, depending on how you were paid as a contractor. For example, if you were 1099, the tax difference alone would make it worth it.

Not a 1099, was full time with contracting company with full benefits. So it was a net loss all around. The only gain was an extra week of vacation.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We had a server that became unresponsive and it ended up needing to be hard booted. Higher up blowhards want an RCA. I wrote same in flowery business speak. They want it "more granular". Alright what you want me to like describe the way I right clicked the VM or something? It's a server, the thing got rebooted, who cares, this is why we cluster and load balance everything.

Do you work at my previous employer? RCAs for every little stupid loving thing. I get that they can be a good idea, but only when its a severe outage, not something affecting 10 loving people in a 6,000 employee environment.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I built the servers for this project a year ago. Production go live in in three weeks.

After trying for months, the servers (now a year behind our best practices) finally get reviewed by our chief architect. He gives me a considerable list of items to fix, config files and scripts to update.

Most of them are

"Search Engine Config is old, update"
"Script isn't strong enough, modify to meet best practices"
"Fix Tomcat Config"

But I have no source of these "best practices" since it's all in his head.

So I take his hugely long email, turn it into a page on our confluence with a chart listing his changes, my notes, and then status of the update on the 5 environments. Basically each one status is just "please give me more information". Fantastic!

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Not a 1099, was full time with contracting company with full benefits. So it was a net loss all around. The only gain was an extra week of vacation.

This is the position I'm in - making 72k and a full time slot with the company opened up, but the pay is not anywhere in that ballpark. And worse yet, the company has a rule that a consultant has to take a month off (unpaid) after two years of consecutive work. I like the place and the people, and my boss is amazing, but that doesn't pay the mortgage unfortunately. =(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah then gently caress that lol. Good call.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Walked posted:

:psypop:

Del''s Equallogic Support portal

Password must be 6-15 characters, contain a letter and a number.
No special characters. :wtf:

American Express for a time had passwords that were CASE INSENSITIVE. I hope that's been changed.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Bob Morales posted:

We have documented processes! We can document that we follow them!

(Those processes suck, but they are documented and we follow them.)

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

nitrogen posted:

American Express for a time had passwords that were CASE INSENSITIVE. I hope that's been changed.

Blizzard/Battle.net accounts still are.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

nitrogen posted:

We have documented processes! We can document that we follow them!

(Those processes suck, but they are documented and we follow them.)

This is basically Sarbanes-Oxley in a nutshell.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

This is basically Sarbanes-Oxley in a nutshell.

And yet my company can't even do that. We have so many people that use each other's accounts. We also had a manager say that their new employee was going to just use the old employee's account.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
The old ISO9000 credo:

It doesn't matter if you produce absolute poo poo, as long as it is consistent, absolute poo poo.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Roargasm posted:

Blizzard/Battle.net accounts still are.

I can forgive their legacy password horrible-ness solely because they have solid 2FA and a failed auth check results in “bad credentials” regardless of whether it’s the password or bad code.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I can forgive their legacy password horrible-ness solely because they have solid 2FA and a failed auth check results in “bad credentials” regardless of whether it’s the password or bad code.

I have an electronic door lock that allows for 4 up to 9 digit codes. Great. Fine. Except if you enter a shorter or longer code than the codes that are stored, it will in fact say "invalid number of digits", and if you enter an incorrect code with the correct number of digits it will say "incorrect code".

MOTHERFUCKER THAT IS NOT THE TIME OR PLACE FOR HELPFUL ERROR MESSAGES

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's not legacy password, they said it didn't increase the number of stolen accounts and cut their calls to customer service in half because people weren't calling saying they forgot their password because caps lock was on. If you have a password from 2004ish you need to type in the capitals.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

pixaal posted:

It's not legacy password, they said it didn't increase the number of stolen accounts and cut their calls to customer service in half because people weren't calling saying they forgot their password because caps lock was on. If you have a password from 2004ish you need to type in the capitals.

Yea when most of your customers give out their passwords to phishing emails/sites or get keylogged, case sensitivity does not matter all that much.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Raerlynn posted:

This is the position I'm in - making 72k and a full time slot with the company opened up, but the pay is not anywhere in that ballpark. And worse yet, the company has a rule that a consultant has to take a month off (unpaid) after two years of consecutive work. I like the place and the people, and my boss is amazing, but that doesn't pay the mortgage unfortunately. =(

I believe the required leave is due a federal law dealing with contractors. Something like if they are so necessary to your environment they can't be out, then they shouldn't be contractors.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
poo poo pissing me off today:

Our newish guy is completely untrainable. The process is on our wiki which amounts to "update java - run citrix receiver cleanup tool - restart computer - install citrix 4.3.1 from sccm" and he couldn't even manage to follow those basic steps. He failed to restart the computer which meant the new citrix install hosed up and the user had to call back again and wait another 10 minutes.

My useless boss still hasn't put him on a pip.

My boss is also not even on the same page as anyone on the team in regards to our interviews for new L1s on the team. She was gung ho about an applicant today and gave her the tour like the applicant was a shoe in. She seemed shocked when all 4 other people on the interview were very unimpressed.

Director bought my lunch today, so i've got that going for me.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 4, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

I believe the required leave is due a federal law dealing with contractors. Something like if they are so necessary to your environment they can't be out, then they shouldn't be contractors.

Yeah, it absolutely reeks of an attempt to dodge employment law. I thought it was 18 months, but that may be a UK thing I'm remembering from some of my friends overseas. They could only work 18 months as a contract employee and then they had to not work at the company for 6 months or the company would be forced to convert them to FT.

If I recall, wasn't Microsoft taken to court by some of it's contractors for this very thing, because instead of converting them, they'd not renew the contract after 18 months?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

nitrogen posted:

My insurance company set their MAXIMUM password length to 8 characters.

I no longer use passwords with 8 characters. Why the gently caress is my SA password more secure than my goddamn insurance password?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Made a quick PowerShell script that reports on any members of the local admin group that shouldn't be there to a remote server. Gotten back 18 results so far and I know exactly who is responsible for all of them. The culprit even put his own domain account in the local admin group for a computer for some reason. Gonna hand the list to my boss without naming names and just let her come to her own conclusions.