Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Just a normal Strep A throat infection. I have no underlying health problems and was fit and well when it happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Serotonin posted:

I had a sore throat

:nms:

jfc! :stonk:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Serotonin posted:

I had a sore throat that progressed to flu like symptoms, which within 4 days became sepsis and septic shock and led to compartment syndrome, had a heart attack (medication induced), multi organ failure and pancreatitis.
To save my arm they had to do a fasciotomy, and left my arm looking like this

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/Q1OtLJY.jpg

6 months later it looks like this: https://twitter.com/apooins/status/660766845994147840

Ive been left pretty disabled,as my right hand/arm really doesnt work very well, hence the 4 months of daily intensive hand physio. Still, at one point they were sure I was a goner or at least would lose the arm.

Jesus. Glad to hear you pulled through - what a terrible and random thing to happen. It's terrifying.

StoneOfShame posted:

Small, rural, poor villages have that, I lived near one called Greysteel and it had a great community.

It's pretty good here too, they have groups that do parties for the kids on Halloween and Christmas, there's a twice weekly soup lunch to raise money for probably old people or something and organised village cleans. In the sprawling metropolis of Oban a group of parents just fundraised for a new fancy playpark and another group bought the old school to turn into a Community hub.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Kegluneq posted:

To be fair, she might have just misjudged you horribly.

The only reasonable time to link a DM story is if it relates to archaeology, as the photos they put up are often amazingly good.

Peter Oborne has a column in the DM that I've caught up with a few times. I know he's not Correct but he's always interesting

e: gently caress, I'm always going to be terrified of a sore throat from now on.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Turns out the UKMT is a big fan of the Daily Mail.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oborne's right-wing but he's not a frothing idiot masturbating on the corpses of starved children, so he's got that going for him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I read The Daily Mail for its Playboy articles.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

Cute old grannies read the Mail. It's only reprehensible cunts who read the Sun, which is beyond redemption

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

The recipe section is pretty good (my mum buys it). There was one for spicy chickpea and lentil soup which is the best soup ever. Also Moroccan Chickpea stew.

Edit: Found a non mail link http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/333614/red-lentil-chickpea-and-chilli-soup seriously everyone should make this soup.

Edit 2: Not the guy who vomits if he eats coriander though.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 3, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

J_RBG posted:

Cute old grannies read the Mail. It's only reprehensible cunts who read the Sun, which is beyond redemption

I see you've never seen the comments to any mail online article ever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
jeremy hunt has offered junior doctors an 11% pay rise to try and stop the strike

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I only read the Daily Mail for its editorials on immigration and welfare.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

I see you've never seen the comments to any mail online article ever

A while ago I drunkenly installed a "Don't Read the Comments" plugin for my browser and didn't remember when I woke up and spent ages thinking "oh thank gently caress they've disabled comments for this piece."

It was a blissful six months.

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012
Oborne's Triumph of the Political Class is very good, even if he is prone to idealising the old Establishment. It was written in 2007 but if anything the evidence is even stronger now and makes sense of a lot of the reaction to Corbyn.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Yeah actually gently caress the Mail, sorry

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

jeremy hunt has offered junior doctors an 11% pay rise to try and stop the strike

Any word on whether they're likely to go for it? I hope not given that they have him over a barrel at the moment and a pay rise won't help.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

J_RBG posted:

Yeah actually gently caress the Mail, sorry

loving shrunken heads and everything :magical:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The doctors better not forget their colleages who have had gently caress all for years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

A while ago I drunkenly installed a "Don't Read the Comments" plugin for my browser and didn't remember when I woke up and spent ages thinking "oh thank gently caress they've disabled comments for this piece."

It was a blissful six months.

You drink and it causes you to make better decisions.

I think maybe we should buy you the collected works of Marx and get you a very large amount of alcohol to see if you can figure out how to solve capitalism.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Peter Mandelson on BBC news right now sticking the knife in Corbyn.

Lots of huffing and moaning about how Corbyn is unelectable without the faintest attempt to say what Labour should be doing instead.

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 3, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

rip michael meacher

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

J_RBG posted:

I always thought it was the other way around, the Sun is the default "can't be hosed to devote time to researching a good paper to read the football in" paper of people at work unless you're a Scouser, Mail is the "actively seeks out even more inflammatory content than the Sun, prefers 16 years olds to tits" paper.

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm chatting on fb with a girl I've been flirting with at work and she's just started sending me links to dailymail.co.uk stories and I'm like should I eject right now or what
What kind of stories? 'Immigrants are scum' stories or 'nice traditional thing happens in village' stories? (Or 'she'll be legal soon stories'? :stonkhat:)

Serotonin posted:

[necrotizing fasciitis dot jpeg]
Well gently caress. :stare:

Hope your hand gets better.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Serotonin posted:

I had a sore throat that progressed to flu like symptoms, which within 4 days became sepsis and septic shock and led to compartment syndrome, had a heart attack (medication induced), multi organ failure and pancreatitis.

6 months later it looks like this: https://twitter.com/apooins/status/660766845994147840

Ive been left pretty disabled,as my right hand/arm really doesnt work very well, hence the 4 months of daily intensive hand physio. Still, at one point they were sure I was a goner or at least would lose the arm.

gently caress that's scary.
glad you're not dead / getting better.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I doubt it will be accepted by the BMA, but since the strike ballot opens tomorrow, it's probably a try to get the ballot to return negative.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

PlantHead posted:

Are there any more nurses to hire? the NHS is one of the biggest employers in the world and the nursing care in the bigger hospitals on the normal wards is basically poo poo.
It needs to be changed not fed more money.

I couldn't let this one go: The reason there are no more nurses to hire is because we are not funding the training of enough nurses, and not paying the ones we do have well enough, so that nursing is not an attractive career option.

Not because we don't need nurses.

The NHS needs more money.

It also DOES need to make some efficiency savings wherever possible, particularly in terms of middle management and in terms of things like hosed up procurement budgets.

But mostly, it needs more money, and particularly more money thrown into training its future, not just paying for its present.

In ten years' time we will have an even worse shortage of GPs than we do now, because the Government isn't funding us to train enough doctors at all, and the ones it IS funding don't want to be GPs because GPs are routinely vilified in the media as being worth less than other doctors, glorified hand-holders without a clue, etc etc.

Which is categorically bollocks.

The NHS is about the best thing about this country, even in its current shabby state. Just imagine what it would be like if the government were actually on its side for the first time in 40 or so years...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lots of huffing and moaning about how Corbyn is unelectable without the faintest attempt to say what Labour should be doing instead.

i can't tell anymore whether they keep saying it so it will come true because they're upset at the change in the party or if they're too loving stupid to see how damaging saying it whether or not they believe it is

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pistol_Pete posted:

not every Labour figure from the 90s is so anti-corbyn. i quite liked this interview with Chris Mullin, although it's pretty light
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2015/11/chris-mullin-i-think-there-are-one-or-two-people-who-are-riding-fall

quote:

I think there are one or two people who are riding for a fall. This Simon Danczuk fellow seems to have teamed up with the Murdoch press. I don’t object to anyone who has a different opinion from Jeremy or who supported another candidate, but there is a minimum level of solidarity that one would expect to see shown, and I notice that Danczuk has been putting himself around in the Murdoch press in the week after Jeremy was elected. He seems to have inspired a very nasty front page lead in the Sunday Times that talked about “punishment beatings”.

Now collaborating with the nastier elements of the Murdoch press to do down the party is quite a high crime in my book, and if I was in Simon Danczuk’s CLP, I would certainly be sharpening my sword. He might well go away to Ukip or somewhere in the end, but good riddance to him, I say. As we have seen, people who defect to Ukip don’t usually last very long.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Holy poo poo Serotonin, glad you're recovering. God drat.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Serotonin posted:

:stare:

Still, you got to lie in for 10 days, that's something right?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Serotonin posted:

Just a normal Strep A throat infection. I have no underlying health problems and was fit and well when it happened

Hey, used to do research on Strep pyogenes. Can I ask which hospital you were in?

Edit: Also yeah, glad to see you kind of made it through alright. Saw a lot of nasty photos in my time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah holy poo poo Sero, I noticed you weren't around but I thought you were just busy or something. I'm glad you're OK - and your arm looks incredibly well healed

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Fatty posted:

Hey, used to do research on Strep pyogenes. Can I ask which hospital you were in?

Edit: Also yeah, glad to see you kind of made it through alright. Saw a lot of nasty photos in my time.

Southmead, in Bristol

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Serotonin posted:

Holy poo poo man.

gently caress you are really goddamn lucky you didn't lose that arm. Best wishes for your recovery.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Serotonin posted:

Holy gently caress, glad you're alright. Worst I had was a hole in my abdomen from a heavily compromised liver transplant, with puss coming out.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I had actually truly wondered where you had got to. I'm so glad you are recovering, and a big wet sloppy kiss for the people who saved you.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'm pretty sure that the only systems in the world better from an efficiency standpoint than the NHS are the kind of dual systems where the government will take care of everything against a tiny fee but there's also private sector companies for people paying more for more prompt care.

The tiny fee - about £5 a visit for regular GPs, £10 for emergencies, none for nurse advice calls, £100 yearly cap - in a fantasy scenario - helps with efficiency by making people consider a doctor visit twice, but not enough to deter people when they're genuinely sick.

Meanwhile, the private sector doctors NOT supported by the government both get to make all the profit they want, but they need to establish a level of care superior to the free option. Usually done with customer service. That way the private sector is a constant threat to the employment of the public sector - after all, if the private sector can get it done cheaper, why shouldn't they be hired to do it instead - but at the same time it avoids the problem with inelastic demand where the companies know you gotta buy from someone.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

i can't tell anymore whether they keep saying it so it will come true because they're upset at the change in the party or if they're too loving stupid to see how damaging saying it whether or not they believe it is

The former. They are maintaining the narrative that Corbyn is unelectable. Facts are not important to media narratives.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

OwlFancier posted:

Any word on whether they're likely to go for it? I hope not given that they have him over a barrel at the moment and a pay rise won't help.

No chance. I'm a junior doctor and the instant reaction from the facebook group (of over 50,000 members) is a resounding 'gently caress off, Hunt'.

The guardian have actually been very misleading with their headline. This is NOT an offer of an 11% pay rise. It's an 11% increase to basic pay along with a significant decrease to our out-of-hours working supplement. It would almost certainly leave most doctors either worse off or very similar to how they are now, and very few would be better off. The ones who would be hit worst would be the ones doing the most out-of-hours work, ironically.

The original proposals from the DDRB that we have all be assuming Hunt will follow said basic pay should be increased at least 15% to compensate for the loss of banding. So Hunt has just offered us a 'deal' worse than the one we were all angry about. But spun it to make us look like greedy dicks.

At this point I think he could offer us all a pony and a personal hug and we would still strike. There is too much anger against him personally and the recent past to stop this train easily.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Serotonin posted:

The doctors better not forget their colleages who have had gently caress all for years.

It's all a smokescreen based on the fact that Doctor's pay is structured differently to most other professions. It's not going to lead to doctors getting any more money at all, and is designed to make us look like a bunch of whiny babies.

We get a base salary (depending on grade) and a banding supplement of between 0% and 100% of that on top based on total hours and unsociable hours. 100% banding is now illegal as it involves working an average of >56 hours a week. From my experience 40-50% is fairly standard for the first 5+ years of training.

The original proposal was for a 15% pay rise. However this was combined with a bunch of changes including:
- Removal of banding as a concept and switching to being paid along your rostered hours. This sounds reasonable, but under the banding system your employer has to check that what you work is what your rota says you work. If they consistently have you working over hours, your pay gets bumped to the appropriate band. Under the new proposals this protection would be removed, leading to concerns that employers would make unworkable rotas (i.e. ones that work due to staff working over their hours) with no penalty for doing so.
-Changes to what constitutes "core" hours. Currently core hours are 7am-7pm, Monday to Friday. Hunt wanted this to change to 7am-10pm Monday-Saturday.
-Removal of automatic pay progression. Doesn't affect me because I'm a full-time trainee in a training programme, but will affect less than full-time trainees.
-Removal of GP trainee supplement. In order to make GP training (in which training posts go unfilled) more attractive, their pay is matched to their colleagues in hospital. Not any more!
-Changes to non-resident on call pay which don't take into account how likely the doctor in question is to get called in.

The government have never explicitly stated what the changes to pay structure actually are. The BMA put a calculator up online which the government called misleading, but failed to elaborate. The "15% rise" was supposed to be cost-neutral and so is this new "11% rise".

It's no use increasing base pay by 11% if you cut OOH/extra hours pay in half.

The government proposed 23 changes, of which 22 were non-negotiable. They then had the cheek to say that the BMA refused to negotiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34715929

OH please Just Kill ME NOW!!! It's bad enough we have to put up with the speaker being our MP.. now this...

quote:

The BBC wrote

The University of Buckingham says it is going to house a library and museum dedicated to the life of Margaret Thatcher.

Lady Thatcher, who died in 2013, was a former chancellor of the private university.
The university says it has been in talks with Margaret Thatcher Centre trustees about housing its collection.
Buckingham's vice-chancellor, Sir Anthony Seldon, said the centre would become a "huge attraction".
Donal Blaney, head of the Margaret Thatcher Centre, said the University of Buckingham would be a "natural location" for keeping its collection.
Lady Thatcher was prime minister when Buckingham became the UK's first private university in 1983.
The centre, with its resources for education and research, will be modelled on the libraries and foundations dedicated to former US presidents.
The university says it expects the centre to be open by 2019, 40 years after Mrs Thatcher, as she then was, became prime minister.
The announcement follows a decision by the Victoria and Albert Museum to turn down the chance to exhibit some of Lady Thatcher's clothes.
The London museum said it had been involved in discussions about acquiring some items from her wardrobe.
More than 300 items, including handbags, will now be sold at auction next month instead.

• Locked thread