Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Trabisnikof posted:

Really, this whole cycle is a joke. The Republicans and media, well I don't need to go into detail. But even the democrats have Larry David versus Grillary Clinton amirite.

Its a loving joke and we're the punchline.
The demographics are terrible for the Republicans, doubly so if Trump gets the nod. I've been confident in a Democratic victory for quite a while, regardless of who the candidates are on either side.

It's a joke, but it's one I'll live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

zen death robot posted:

Hell I've seen a few posters in the RSF support Sanders but say they'll vote for Trump instead of Clinton if she wins the primary. I really don't get that one at all.
Its called misogyny.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Chokes McGee posted:

Kentucky may very well be dicked. I did get a flyer on my doorknob reminding me to vote, which was super clever, because I got a late start this morning and completely forgot. There's been zero GOTV efforts outside of a few signs posted in Louisville, which is one of two places Conway really needs to run up the score in.

How are they so bad at this? How? I'm really beginning to think the problem isn't the voters, it's that Democrats just cannot be bothered to give a poo poo for non-Presidential elections.

Up until 10 days ago when I was switched to Houston I was working on gotv in Kentucky supporting Conway, targeting Democrats who have spotty voting history, especially around the Highlands and west end, and just a bit of Lexington. If you are a solid voter you probably didn't run across us as we weren't worried about you. Even for the Republican leaning people a lot of them weren't excited about Bevin because "he's crazy and a liar" (those negative ads at work). People are still pissed at Conway about the gas station thing though so who knows.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mulva posted:

Bernie Sanders really doesn't have any ideas or proposals that will improve communities of people of color. Free college is great, if you were already going to college. If you can't walk down the street at night without getting arrested free college really isn't going to help you.

I just checked his site for shits and giggles, and there's a ten point plan specifically dealing with the "getting murdered by the police" thing, as well as other proposals dealing with race-based voter disenfranchisement as well as calls for an end to the War on Drugs, for-profit prisons and abolishment of civil asset forfeiture programs.

That took me like 30 seconds on my phone. So either you're lying and didn't expect me to check or you somehow think these aren't policies that improve communities of color.

Which is it?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Oracle posted:

Its called misogyny.

Don't you mean reverse-misandry?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

zoux posted:

It's not problematic for me and I support full legalization of marijuana. BUT I see a lot of white Bernie supporters talking about how his support for decrim is the magic bullet to solve black incarceration, that just happens to benefit them the most, while at the same time ignoring polls that don't really show strong support for legalization among African Americans.

Why do you think it benefits whites more than blacks? Blacks are arrested for weed at much higher rates than whites are despite using at roughly the same rate. Either way I don't think people complaining about having their lives ruined over pointless drug crimes should ever be mocked. For years anyone talking about legalization would be characterized as a dumb selfish stoner just wanting to defend their habit and there still seems to be some of that tone there when discussing legalization.

The real changes needed to fix mass incarceration probably don't have majority support among any demographic because they would involve releasing some classes of violent offenders.

As for polling numbers, they can go either way. The easy assumption people used to have about Hispanics and Blacks being socially conservative is definitely no longer true though.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/14/6-facts-about-marijuana/

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 3, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Istvun posted:

Sounds like you guys need more voter id

After I posted that 3 more buses of seniors got dropped off to vote.

This isn't just my polling location either, the other 2 locations in the district are reporting similar levels, and while county hasn't responded, they sound really confused bust and surprised as well.

This was strongly predicted to be a low turnout, very close election. So either there is a sea change and people are really pissed at the GOP so our mediocre GOTV efforts are being so effective, or there is a PAC or someone no one saw on the field doing their own GOTV operation and we are about to get completely blindsided and destroyed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bernie Sanders. Martin O'Malley, and Hillary Clinton all have very good, detailed criminal and social justice programs. O'Malley ironically probably the best (from experience of being terrible before?).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Why do you think it benefits whites more than blacks? Blacks are arrested for weed at much higher rates than whites are despite using at roughly the same rate. Either way I don't think people complaining about having their lives ruined over pointless drug crimes should ever be mocked. For years anyone talking about legalization would be characterized as a dumb selfish stoner just wanting to defend their habit and there still seems to be some of that tone there when discussing legalization.

The real changes need to fix mass incarceration probably don't have majority support among any demographic because they would involve releasing some classes of violent offenders.

As for polling numbers, they can go either way. The easy assumption people used to have about Hispanics and Blacks being socially conservative is definitely no longer true though.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/14/6-facts-about-marijuana/

It benefits them the most because they are afraid of spending a night in jail and having their parents be mad at them. I didn't say it was proportional.

Probably minus full decrim Hillary and Bernie have identical or nearly identical racial justice platforms. Black voters poll overwhelmingly in favor of Hillary and I'm not going to tell them they don't know what's best for their community.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joanne update: she bought a sweater, because it is getting to be sweater weather. But she is very annoyed because they didn't have what she wanted. She had ordered a pink leather jacket with the word PINK on it but when it arrived it was nearly the same color as her red leather jacket (no word on if it said RED). So she wanted to exchange it but they didn't have what she wanted and since it was ordered she wasn't sure she could get a refund, and she doesn't think she should spend the money twice.

I advised her to get a refund, that she can get that online these days, don't let them rip her off, and that she should treat herself and get the nice jacket once she gets the money back

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
did my civic duty and voted straight ticket d up here in pa since we have 3 supreme court seats open

also did a write in for a friend's mom for the local school district. nepotism owns

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

zoux posted:

It benefits them the most because they are afraid of spending a night in jail and having their parents be mad at them. I didn't say it was proportional.

Probably minus full decrim Hillary and Bernie have identical or nearly identical racial justice platforms. Black voters poll overwhelmingly in favor of Hillary and I'm not going to tell them they don't know what's best for their community.

The whites can also afford to have a lawyer get their charge expunged and generally have an easier time with the job market afterwards though.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

After I posted that 3 more buses of seniors got dropped off to vote.

This isn't just my polling location either, the other 2 locations in the district are reporting similar levels, and while county hasn't responded, they sound really confused bust and surprised as well.

This was strongly predicted to be a low turnout, very close election. So either there is a sea change and people are really pissed at the GOP so our mediocre GOTV efforts are being so effective, or there is a PAC or someone no one saw on the field doing their own GOTV operation and we are about to get completely blindsided and destroyed.

Busloads of seniors doesn't sound like a Democratic GOTV effort IMO.

EDIT:

Fried Chicken posted:

Joanne update: she bought a sweater, because it is getting to be sweater weather. But she is very annoyed because they didn't have what she wanted. She had ordered a pink leather jacket with the word PINK on it but when it arrived it was nearly the same color as her red leather jacket (no word on if it said RED). So she wanted to exchange it but they didn't have what she wanted and since it was ordered she wasn't sure she could get a refund, and she doesn't think she should spend the money twice.

I advised her to get a refund, that she can get that online these days, don't let them rip her off, and that she should treat herself and get the nice jacket once she gets the money back

Please keep us apprised of all further Joanne goings-on.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 3, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fried Chicken posted:

I agree Joanne needs to treat herself

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Radbot posted:

Sort of? It's essentially fully decriminalized and medical recommendations are easier to get than a DMV appointment. It's not an ideal scenario but at least they've stopped the bong-to-prison pipeline.

Well, after the courts told the California gov that running their prisons at 300%+ capacity constituted "cruel and unusual" punishment, they pretty much had to decriminalize it. :v:

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

did my civic duty and voted straight ticket d up here in pa since we have 3 supreme court seats open

also did a write in for a friend's mom for the local school district. nepotism owns

Sup, fellow PA-straight-ticket-dem voter :hfive:

The voting place out here looked pretty geriatric today, unfortunately. Fingers crossed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Please keep us apprised of all further Joanne goings-on.
If I see her again and she is willing, I'll snag a photograph. She is wearing this near grey button down sweater. I say near grey because while the yarn is grey, the thing is also covered in sequins, so she is shining and flaring everywhere she goes.

Joanne gives no fucks and it is awesome.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So I was wandering, what are the odds that Trump cancels his SNL appearance last minute because he deems some joke or bit as "not fair"?

Fried Chicken posted:

:3:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fried Chicken posted:

If I see her again and she is willing, I'll snag a photograph. She is wearing this near grey button down sweater. I say near grey because while the yarn is grey, the thing is also covered in sequins, so she is shining and flaring everywhere she goes.

If you see Joanne again, tell her greetings from Finland :3:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

hangedman1984 posted:

So I was wandering, what are the odds that Trump cancels his SNL appearance last minute because he deems some joke or bit as "not fair"?

Zero, Lorne Michaels is a whore and will do whatever he wants.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Realistically, how finished is Jeb! right now? A few weeks ago when things were looking bad someone pointed out he has a massive war chest for ad campaigns as primary elections get closer, which given he was the presumptive nominee before things got serious (well, as serious as a Republican primary can get) makes sense. But he just keeps on slipping. Short of five of his competitors having a Macaca moment during a live debate is there a reasonable chance he'll be able to dig his way out of the hole he's in?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Fried Chicken posted:

I see what you are doing there. Good work spreading revolutionary thought by encouraging resistance to exploitive capitalists. By all means, keep us informed of Joanne's progress.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Fried Chicken posted:

This thread going in the direction of Joanne-chat is the best thing that has happened in months.

Please tell her "Hello!" from Ohio.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Feel good story of the day -- Jeb!'s campaign apparently forgot to buy the domain for their new slogan, so an Austin, TX man who ran for a council seat in the early 2000s who also had (name) Can Fix It! as his campaign slogan bought it to show off his way better use of the slogan.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

greatn posted:

Bernie Sanders. Martin O'Malley, and Hillary Clinton all have very good, detailed criminal and social justice programs. O'Malley ironically probably the best (from experience of being terrible before?).

What

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
USPOL Nov: More Joannechat than your drunk uncle can shake a turkey leg at

(hi Joanne! :kimchi:)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alris posted:

Realistically, how finished is Jeb! right now? A few weeks ago when things were looking bad someone pointed out he has a massive war chest for ad campaigns as primary elections get closer, which given he was the presumptive nominee before things got serious (well, as serious as a Republican primary can get) makes sense. But he just keeps on slipping. Short of five of his competitors having a Macaca moment during a live debate is there a reasonable chance he'll be able to dig his way out of the hole he's in?

Extremely finished. Well he would be if this was a normal cycle, but it ain't, so who knows!

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Alris posted:

JEB!'s own staff talking about primary state strategy (as in "we win proportional amounts of delegates during primaries") and those leaked .ppt slides show that he is giving serious consideration to digging in and waiting for Hurricane Nutbar to blow itself out. It might even be a viable strategy, since Carson's ~25% are up for grabs, what with him running a scampaign and all, but Carson's supporters don't seem to know that yet. The problem JEB! has is that Carson's 25% probably won't go to him, they'll probably go to Huckabee or Santorum, or someone else with better Evangelical bona fides.

Bottom line, best case scenario: JEB! waits it out while all the other contenders break under the pressure/run out of money and he beats Trump through attrition. This of course assumes that Trump has all the support he's going to get and every point that's freed up by someone dropping goes to JEB! Or that Trump doesn't just get bored and stop the circus tomorrow.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Oracle posted:

Its called misogyny.

Exactly - Bernie supporters are misogynists, Hillary supporters are enlightened champions of minorities and women. At least that's the D&D mantra.

Solkanar512 posted:

I just checked his site for shits and giggles, and there's a ten point plan specifically dealing with the "getting murdered by the police" thing, as well as other proposals dealing with race-based voter disenfranchisement as well as calls for an end to the War on Drugs, for-profit prisons and abolishment of civil asset forfeiture programs.

That took me like 30 seconds on my phone. So either you're lying and didn't expect me to check or you somehow think these aren't policies that improve communities of color.

Which is it?

Shhhh, you're interrupting the circlejerk.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Except I can't really understand how someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood could vote for a sitting senator.

How could someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood vote for a sitting congressman to be their Senator? How could someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood vote for a powerful and popular mayor to be their congressman?

Really? You can't bring yourself to understand it? In good faith? You're honestly confused by this.

Bernie and Trump are both leading revolts against their party's establishment. That's why they're seen as outsider candidates.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

fool_of_sound posted:

I legitimately get the appeal of Trump. He's got that magical power that makes him hard to dislike on a personal or emotional level.

I believe this is called "charisma"

edit: Always refresh before you post

Milk Malk fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 3, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Radbot posted:

Exactly - Bernie supporters are misogynists, Hillary supporters are enlightened champions of minorities and women. At least that's the D&D mantra.

I'm pretty sure like 90% of the Hillary supporters I've seen here have been the "Either is fine, Clinton has a better chance of winning so I'm going for her" variety, while the Bernouts range from that (in reverse) to some kind of really weird hostility.

And then there's, like, fishmech and poo poo. I don't think fishmech counts.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MC Nietzche posted:

JEB!'s own staff talking about primary state strategy (as in "we win proportional amounts of delegates during primaries") and those leaked .ppt slides show that he is giving serious consideration to digging in and waiting for Hurricane Nutbar to blow itself out. It might even be a viable strategy, since Carson's ~25% are up for grabs, what with him running a scampaign and all, but Carson's supporters don't seem to know that yet. The problem JEB! has is that Carson's 25% probably won't go to him, they'll probably go to Huckabee or Santorum, or someone else with better Evangelical bona fides.

Bottom line, best case scenario: JEB! waits it out while all the other contenders break under the pressure/run out of money and he beats Trump through attrition. This of course assumes that Trump has all the support he's going to get and every point that's freed up by someone dropping goes to JEB! Or that Trump doesn't just get bored and stop the circus tomorrow.

Wait why don't we think Carson is legit?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

weekly font posted:

He has no policies, plans, strategies or ground game. He's currently on a book tour.

Here's a *shudder* Johnathan Chait article from today about it.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/11/ben-carson-running-for-president.html

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joanne was talking with her lady friends and was happy to pose for a picture. They were all quite amused to hear people enjoyed her stories and says hello back

http://imgur.com/7FlXQsF

I am supposed to note that today is a casual day, and that usually she is in a business suit. She was ahead of the curve on leaning-in I suppose.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Joanne was talking with her lady friends and was happy to pose for a picture. They were all quite amused to hear people enjoyed her stories and says hello back

I am supposed to note that today is a casual day, and that usually she is in a business suit. She was ahead of the curve on leaning-in I suppose.

Tell her she's the internets grandma now :kimchi:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

weekly font posted:

His campaign organization is only geared to fundraise. All of the money that he takes in he plows right back into fundraising and he hasn't shown any sort of interest in creating the kind of voter drive and party network necessary to make a real run with. He's riding this wave of popularity as far as he possibly can while selling as many books and as much merchandise as he possibly can.

E:

Fried Chicken posted:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Martin Random posted:

How could someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood vote for a sitting congressman to be their Senator? How could someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood vote for a powerful and popular mayor to be their congressman?

Really? You can't bring yourself to understand it? In good faith? You're honestly confused by this.

Bernie and Trump are both leading revolts against their party's establishment. That's why they're seen as outsider candidates.

Yes, because if you think "all politicians are crooked" then really how do you think that this politician from Vermont isn't crooked?

Like I get the people who are voting for the leftward candidate, the people who are voting for the most idealistic, or more in line with their personal ideology. I don't get how someone could be so "gently caress the mainstream...man" to support Sanders, but flip to Trump, over all policy choices, just because they're most outsider of them all.

If you're chanting "throw the bums out!" then how can you also want to take one of those bums and elect them to higher office?

And mayor is often a far more non-paritsan role, that yes, this would make far more sense to me for someone to be supporting the Mayor of NY's Democratic bid for the presidency and then switch over and support a Republican billionaire, for example.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

His campaign organization is only geared to fundraise. All of the money that he takes in he plows right back into fundraising and he hasn't shown any sort of interest in creating the kind of voter drive and party network necessary to make a real run with. He's riding this wave of popularity as far as he possibly can while selling as many books and as much merchandise as he possibly can.

He's also the worst public speaker I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Go girl

• Locked thread