Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I'm using the App Store version and it is using a ton of battery on my 6. It's just slurping it down. I don't know if this is a dupe sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is it supposed to respect my setting on the web for number of posts to load per page?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

chaosbreather posted:

I'm using the App Store version and it is using a ton of battery on my 6. It's just slurping it down. I don't know if this is a dupe sorry.

Awful doesn't run in the background, and I'm not aware of anything particularly stupid we do that might waste battery, so I'm not sure what I can offer you. Are you using Awful a lot?

dexter6 posted:

Is it supposed to respect my setting on the web for number of posts to load per page?

No.

(Honestly, it probably should, but I'm kinda scared of all the places we're sure to come across where we're assuming 40-post pages.)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Test Flight said theres a new beta so I tried to install it but it bombs out every time during the install. I had to delete and reinstall Awful.

6S+ on ATT with 9.1 if that matters.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Looks like that got fixed, since I had the same problem and an update just got pushed that works.

The new layout for thread killer looks much better, yay!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Test Flight said theres a new beta so I tried to install it but it bombs out every time during the install. I had to delete and reinstall Awful.

I swear I can change absolutely nothing from one build to the next but suddenly it breaks. Not sure what part of the equation is so brittle.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had the same problem. The instant I stopped that process and deleted the app, I went over to the App Store, where it was already in progress of downloading the store version.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is it now impossible to make new threads? Part of the keyboard vanishes and the submit button is grayed out after I select an icon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Is it now impossible to make new threads? Part of the keyboard vanishes and the submit button is grayed out after I select an icon.

The app has made a determination about the quality of your new thread and has taken appropriate action.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Upon sensing the input of "i'm gay" "goku" or "cuck" it immediately removed the ability to submit.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

pokeyman posted:

You can check for a crash report on your phone and, if it's there, send it over:

1) Open Settings app
2) Go to Privacy, then Diagnostics & Usage
3) Select Diagnostics & Usage Data
4) Locate the log for the crashed app. The logs will be named in the format: <AppName>_<DateTime>_<DeviceName>
5) Select the desired log. Then, using the text selection UI select the entire text of the log. Once the text is selected, tap Copy
6) Paste the copied text to Mail and send to an email address as desired

(I didn't even know this was a thing until just now. Found it over here if anyone else is interested.)

There's no "select all" option here, which is an odd oversight.

Anyway I've got three Awful crash logs and I've put them here: 1, 2, 3. These are all from the app store version, iPhone 5s w/ iOS 9.1, and I believe that all of them are due to the custom keyboard problem.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Huge reply written and twice the app locked up and I lost all my reply. Talk about frustrating.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I really like how in Tweetbot when I open a link I can swipe left to right to go back to my timeline instead of having to reach and click the done button. It's a feature they recently added. Is that something that others like and the developer(s) would consider adding?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

CancerStick posted:

I really like how in Tweetbot when I open a link I can swipe left to right to go back to my timeline instead of having to reach and click the done button. It's a feature they recently added. Is that something that others like and the developer(s) would consider adding?

Apparently it's a not good enough workaround :argh:

I really have a problem with the done button location, too. :(

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Believe it or not, sometimes hacky bullshit can cause problems if we're not careful so adding it immediately isn't high on our list.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Will check it out, it's not intentional I swear.

Heresiarch posted:

There's no "select all" option here, which is an odd oversight.

Anyway I've got three Awful crash logs and I've put them here: 1, 2, 3. These are all from the app store version, iPhone 5s w/ iOS 9.1, and I believe that all of them are due to the custom keyboard problem.

Awesome, thanks so much. I've spent the last ~hour trying to figure out how to symbolicate those, and despite having the dSYMs for every Awful release in the last like two years sitting here, I've completely failed to figure out what the Awful bits of any of these crash logs are. So gently caress you very much Xcode.

(Non-dev-speak: I thought these crash logs would point me to the answer, but through no fault of Heresiarch I am stymied.)

Tony Homo posted:

Huge reply written and twice the app locked up and I lost all my reply. Talk about frustrating.

That sucks, I'm sorry about that.

Did it lock up while you were the middle of typing? Or as you tapped a particular button? Or when you returned to Awful from some other app?

Kazy posted:

Apparently it's a not good enough workaround :argh:

I really have a problem with the done button location, too. :(

My tolerance for barely-working hacks in Awful has gone down considerably over time, so unfortunately we're stuck for now.

edit: Finally managed to get some symbols from Heresiarch's report, here's the best I got if anyone wants to take a look.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 28, 2015

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
nevermind apparently it just sorted itself out somehow

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I was having issues this morning where I'd freshly open Awful and it would crash instantly. I tried killing it from open apps, and opening again would crash again. iphone 6 ios 9.1. It was probably around the same time as the previous posters post, so might have been SA giving weird output that awful wasnt expecting. it would show the forums list before crashing if that matters.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Kind of an edge case but would it be possible to add a toggle to disable pull for next page?

I scroll as I read a thread so my eyes are constantly only paying attention to the top half of the screen and sometimes I don't notice I've hit the end and when I release it goes to the next page before I've finished reading.

Also is it just me that finds it easier to just tap the arrow to go to the next page rather than dragging up. I've never used pull for next page in any app

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Awful doesn't run in the background, and I'm not aware of anything particularly stupid we do that might waste battery, so I'm not sure what I can offer you. Are you using Awful a lot?

I am also having this issue only recently. Here's my current usage from today:

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 1, 2015

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Why can't I post threads

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Its because you touch yourself at night, op

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

I looked into the the problem with third-party keyboards a little while back using my own crash logs, and I think it might be a problem out of our reach. Most of the matches I could find were problems with an interaction between a WebView and a third party keyboard like us.

Interestingly, for some reason it never happens on the version built from source, and I'm wondering if it's a race condition that building for debug happens to just barely duck.

Looking into this more, I agree: the crash comes from WebThread triggering a layout pass, which throws an exception if it's not on the main thread. And I had it happen building from source, so I guess you're just lucky.

While there might theoretically be something we can do to work around it, I'm not sure what that might be. It seems to be an issue in iOS, and we're not the only ones affected, so I don't think it's gonna get fixed.

obstipator posted:

I was having issues this morning where I'd freshly open Awful and it would crash instantly. I tried killing it from open apps, and opening again would crash again. iphone 6 ios 9.1. It was probably around the same time as the previous posters post, so might have been SA giving weird output that awful wasnt expecting. it would show the forums list before crashing if that matters.

The forum list has a bug somewhere and it gets out of sync with the cached data, and this is what it looks like. Only answer I have until we fix the bug is to delete and reinstall Awful.

Creepy Goat posted:

I am also having this issue only recently. Here's my current usage from today:

That's insane. I really don't know what we're doing now that we weren't doing before. I'll take a look.

crunk dork posted:

Why can't I post threads

Inherent genetic flaw?

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
Oxytocin

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
So the keyboard thing is an iOS bug, if I understand that right?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It might be an os bug but I don't have any of those problems in any other apps and I use a lot of apps. I'm just back to using the stock keyboard because Awful is worth more to me than SwiftKey or Swype. That being said, being able to use one of those again would be nice.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yes. We can't do anything about it, unfortunately, unless you'd like us to just disable third party keyboards in the app until it's resolved.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

So the keyboard thing is an iOS bug, if I understand that right?

The direct cause seems to be an iOS bug. What's not clear to me is whether Awful does (or doesn't do) something in particular that triggers the bug. That's why I'm not surprised to hear something like

GutBomb posted:

It might be an os bug but I don't have any of those problems in any other apps and I use a lot of apps. I'm just back to using the stock keyboard because Awful is worth more to me than SwiftKey or Swype. That being said, being able to use one of those again would be nice.
because other apps might do something faster, slower, in a different order, or what have you and therefore avoid the bug.

It's not a closed issue, and I'm not saying "won't fix it", but I'm not sure how to deal with it right now.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

The worst kind of bug, really. Been there.

I'm keeping swiftkey installed and as my default keyboard right now, I just go to a different app and switch to the default one before I try to post anything from the phone. And sometimes I forget and swiftkey comes up and it works okay and doesn't crash. Go figure.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is it possible for landscape mode on iPhones to function like an iPad (with the bookmarks menu accessible by swiping to the left from the right edge)?

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Basically I don't like this:

(iPhone 6S Plus)

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 2, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

The worst kind of bug, really. Been there.

I'm keeping swiftkey installed and as my default keyboard right now, I just go to a different app and switch to the default one before I try to post anything from the phone. And sometimes I forget and swiftkey comes up and it works okay and doesn't crash. Go figure.

I'm still mulling over things we could possibly do to alleviate the issue, if not fix it outright. Maybe I'll surprise you in a future build.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is it possible for landscape mode on iPhones to function like an iPad (with the bookmarks menu accessible by swiping to the left from the right edge)?

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Basically I don't like this:

(iPhone 6S Plus)

Does the "Hide Sidebar in Landscape" setting not do it for you? It's admittedly kinda broken on the iPhone 6+/6s+ but it should get you closer.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Not sure if this is already a known bug but hey.

On a weak or nonexistent internet connection when you pull up to go to the next page of a thread, of course it fails with the "internet connection appears to be offline" message. If you then get the connection back and pull up again, when the next page finishes loading the screen will scroll down to the very bottom of the new page (though the page won't be marked read or anything). An oddity.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fedule posted:

Not sure if this is already a known bug but hey.

On a weak or nonexistent internet connection when you pull up to go to the next page of a thread, of course it fails with the "internet connection appears to be offline" message. If you then get the connection back and pull up again, when the next page finishes loading the screen will scroll down to the very bottom of the new page (though the page won't be marked read or anything). An oddity.

I don't think I've seen that particular variation, but I have seen and heard tell of similar things. I'll put 'er on the list!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

I'm still mulling over things we could possibly do to alleviate the issue, if not fix it outright. Maybe I'll surprise you in a future build.

What did you have in mind?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If he told you, it wouldn't be a surprise!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Diabolik900 posted:

If he told you, it wouldn't be a surprise!

I've been staring at the problem/code and crashing the app for a few hours between now and when it was reported to no avail, so I don't mind the spoiler. :v:

carry on then fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 3, 2015

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Instead of crashing, goatse

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

pokeyman posted:

Does the "Hide Sidebar in Landscape" setting not do it for you? It's admittedly kinda broken on the iPhone 6+/6s+ but it should get you closer.

So it does! Thank you!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Since updating to the new beta this morning if I'm scrolling down in a thread sometimes it gets real jittery & keeps jumping back up, intermittently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
The newest iOS beta allows for side dismissal of safari view controller.

Edit: I can also confirm the stuck jittery scrolling in thread view on the latest beta.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 3, 2015

• Locked thread