Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hocus Pocus posted:

Do any of you guys own an X-E1? I've been looking online at X-E2 prices and happened to notice that the X-E1 is consistently $250-500 AUD cheaper than the X-E2 and X-Pro1. The cheapest I've seen an X-E1 is $300 vs the X-E2 at $550 and the X-Pro1 at $700.

How is the X-E1 as of the latest firmware? My use case is mainly nature and landscapes, along with the usual day to day shooting. I do want to adapt some M42 lenses though - how is the focus peaking?

Appreciate any insight! It seems like the X-E1 has kind of flown under the radar.

XE1 is great. It has mike input, time lapse 2.5mm input. Much higher end than the XM1/XA1. I am going to keep using mine until it stop working.

But if you can get a XE2 for 200-250 more than the XE1, get the XE2.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Besides the cool hybrid electronic/optical viewfinder, are there any significant differences between the X-E1 and X-Pro1? And how about the first and second generation X-trans sensors? Does the second gen have better image quality ( ISO, dynamic range, etc) or is it simply a matter of better on-sensor AF?

Sensors are the same. But XE1 AF faster than XPro1. Look for the XE1 launch reviews and you can get more detail.

I don't think XP1 has the Q button. Also, I am pretty sure XP1 has nicer fits and finish. When I got the X100s, I noticed it had better buttons and fits than the XE1.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Anyone have experience using vsco filter packs to match Nikon RAWs with Fuji film sims? Does it get pretty close? Is there anything better?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Dren posted:

Anyone have experience using vsco filter packs to match Nikon RAWs with Fuji film sims? Does it get pretty close? Is there anything better?

Here's a comparison for your viewing pleasure. The VSCO sims have the contrast cranked to 9 million on most of them, and they are a lot warmer than the fuji X-cam versions. The 400H/Pro Neg are the closest colorwise IMO (aside from the warmth) , the others all have some colors that are way out.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910868/fujicompar.zip

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

timrenzi574 posted:

Here's a comparison for your viewing pleasure. The VSCO sims have the contrast cranked to 9 million on most of them, and they are a lot warmer than the fuji X-cam versions. The 400H/Pro Neg are the closest colorwise IMO (aside from the warmth) , the others all have some colors that are way out.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910868/fujicompar.zip

Where did the source image come from originally?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Dren posted:

Where did the source image come from originally?

DPR Test scene

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Hocus Pocus posted:

Do any of you guys own an X-E1? I've been looking online at X-E2 prices and happened to notice that the X-E1 is consistently $250-500 AUD cheaper than the X-E2 and X-Pro1. The cheapest I've seen an X-E1 is $300 vs the X-E2 at $550 and the X-Pro1 at $700.

How is the X-E1 as of the latest firmware? My use case is mainly nature and landscapes, along with the usual day to day shooting. I do want to adapt some M42 lenses though - how is the focus peaking?

Appreciate any insight! It seems like the X-E1 has kind of flown under the radar.

I like my X-E1, but you have to be intentional and careful with autofocus. I'd probably get an X-T10 if I was buying a body now, though I do like the styling of the X-E2 better. If Fuji comes out with the firmware 4.0 for the X-E2, I'll probably switch to that.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

I got a like-new one with a hood and 4 batteries off this very forum for $900 :unsmigghh:

Yeah, like the week after I got mine, jerk :argh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

XE1 is great. It has mike input, time lapse 2.5mm input. Much higher end than the XM1/XA1. I am going to keep using mine until it stop working.

But if you can get a XE2 for 200-250 more than the XE1, get the XE2.

Sensors are the same. But XE1 AF faster than XPro1. Look for the XE1 launch reviews and you can get more detail.

I don't think XP1 has the Q button. Also, I am pretty sure XP1 has nicer fits and finish. When I got the X100s, I noticed it had better buttons and fits than the XE1.

The Xpro does have a Q button. It's not missing any buttons from the E series, they are just in different places.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Besides the cool hybrid electronic/optical viewfinder, are there any significant differences between the X-E1 and X-Pro1? And how about the first and second generation X-trans sensors? Does the second gen have better image quality ( ISO, dynamic range, etc) or is it simply a matter of better on-sensor AF?

The Xpro is heavier and fits better in my hand than an ungripped E series camera (if that matters to you). I actually vastly prefer the user experience of the xpro to my X-E2, it just feels more natural to shoot that one. I wouldn't say there is a difference in IQ at all, I shoot mine side by side at weddings and the final files all look good. The Xpro doesn't have classic chrome as an in camera option but you can get a Capture One ICC that will do it or gently caress around with the exif to get LR to let you convert it in post. The real difference is the EVF, the Xpro's is dogshit if you are trying to manually focus lenses in all but the best light. The X-E2's isn't as big as the XT's but it's sharp and responsive.

Hocus Pocus posted:

If you are gonna manual focus, spend the money on the X-E2. I sold my 23mm SLR magic lens because of how annoying using the Xpro gen's EVF was to focus. Plus the X-E2 has better peaking, you can change the color where as on the older bodies you are limited to white which sucks when shooting B&W.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

8th-snype posted:

you can get a Capture One ICC that will do it

I demand to know how to do this.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

It sounds like best choice may be to wait for the X-Pro 2

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ship the drat 35mm f/2 already, Fuji! :argh:

B&H isn't saying when preorders will ship, Amazon is saying 11/14, and Adorama is saying 11/15. I have a feeling that the last two are just guesses based on Fujifilm's super vague "November" release date.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

red19fire posted:

I demand to know how to do this.

There's a bunch of Fuji ICC profiles floating around dpreview, some dude on there made them from his XT1. Then just apply either on import or I think the manual method is under styles. I'm still learning my way around CPO. The xpro RAWs look pretty drat close to the in camera classic chrome out of my other cam. It's nice to shoot in camera B&W then process the RAWs to CC for weddings.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's definitely worth it to get an X-E2/X-T10 over the X-E1.

I would say the top reasons to pick up the newer body in no particular order:
- Phase detection autofocus
- 5ms EVF
- Slightly better firmware support (kinda ties in with the 5ms EVF)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Right now the best deals are XE2 because it has dropped to 500. Both XE1 and XP1 have hit depreciation bottom a good while ago.

I was window shopping on ebay yestedsay. I saw a Panasonic GX1 body for well under 150, I had no idea some of these mirrorless bodies drop so fast.

150... you can't buy anything with it in photography world except a lovely kit lens.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 3, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Right now the best deals are XE2 because it has dropped to 500. Both XE1 and XP1 have hit depreciation bottom a good while ago.

I was window shopping on ebay yestedsay. I saw a Panasonic GX1 body for well under 150, I had no idea some of these mirrorless bodies drop so fast.

150... you can't buy anything with it in photography world except a lovely kit lens.

Yeah, it's amazing what you can get on a budget starting out these days.

My old NEX-3 + a 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens makes a great "I don't care what happens to this kit" beater to take out to bars, etc.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Does this lenstip review of the fuji 35mm f2 pretty much confirm that the new 35mm is considerably sharper than the old 35mm f1.4 at f2 and in general? That plus faster AF and WR make it seem like a no brainer to exchange my recently purchased 1.4 for the new 2.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Splinter posted:

Does this lenstip review of the fuji 35mm f2 pretty much confirm that the new 35mm is considerably sharper than the old 35mm f1.4 at f2 and in general? That plus faster AF and WR make it seem like a no brainer to exchange my recently purchased 1.4 for the new 2.
I didn't realize LensTip had a review up, but yeah their copy looks crazy sharp. The MTF50 test at f/4 has center resolution that roughly matches the sharpest Fujifilm X-mount lens they've ever tested (the 90mm f/2). Edge resolution isn't amazing, but I'm definitely excited to take this lens for a spin.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I wasn't gonna buy the new 35mm but after seeing the reviews (and getting a 23mm f/1.4) I sold off my 35mm f/1.4 last night. I'll probably pick up one of the new ones in the next few months.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
35/2 bokeh look very good, other stats (AF speed, CA, coma) are meh.

I just need the 120mm macro and and the 33mm/1.0 to complete the XF lineup.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
In a surprisingly competent software decision, the a7ii will receive the uncompressed raw update the a7rii/a7sii got, in addition to some minor improvements on AF with adapted lenses.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Enabling PDAF for adapted lenses is kinda bit more than minor. If that makes my Sigma Art 35mm focus as fast as the FE35 1.4, I'll eat a hat (not a toxx).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I didn't realize LensTip had a review up, but yeah their copy looks crazy sharp. The MTF50 test at f/4 has center resolution that roughly matches the sharpest Fujifilm X-mount lens they've ever tested (the 90mm f/2). Edge resolution isn't amazing, but I'm definitely excited to take this lens for a spin.

I'm so glad. It seems Rico Pfirstinger got a bad pre-production copy. I think I'm gonna sell the 35mm f/1.4 and get the f/2.0, I need a weather sealed standard lens badly.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

I just need the 120mm macro and and the 33mm/1.0 to complete the XF lineup.

Yeah I hope the 33/1.0 performs as good as the 23/1.4 wide open.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Wengy posted:

Just a quick shout-out to Olympus, they're packing some awesome poo poo into the next E-M1 firmware:
http://www.43rumors.com/jamie-macdonald-has-the-new-v4-0-firmware-on-an-e-m1-and-is-taking-requests-from-users/
Here's a more detailed explanation of the focus stacking/bracketing modes and a rundown of all the other new features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hSxF3iGnng

Olympus support must've gotten tired of all the calls about autofocus not working from people who didn't realize they had the focus clutch disengaged.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
If anyone is looking for a nice Fuji 56 F1.2R I posted mine for sale in the sale thread :cry:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh nice, i'd be tempted if shipping and taxes werent murder to here.

Does anyone have experience with Samyang wide angles for Fuji X mount? I'm looking at a wide angle lens (maybe 12mm/f2) as they seem like bargains but I am a little uncertain about quality because of how cheap they are.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Saros posted:

Does anyone have experience with Samyang wide angles for Fuji X mount? I'm looking at a wide angle lens (maybe 12mm/f2) as they seem like bargains but I am a little uncertain about quality because of how cheap they are.

Samyang is Sigma about 12 years ago, every lens is hit or miss. And I don't just mean between individual designs, but individual parts. Order a lens you've seen good example images of from somewhere with a liberal returm policy if possible.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Saros posted:

I have the Rokinon which appears to be the same thing on my Fuji and I love it. Manual only but it has pulled off some of my favorite photos so far.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Saros posted:

The Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2.0 may be the best bargain for a new lens. Mine is a good copy, bought for astro but am surprised what a good travel lens it is. Lack of AF doesn't really matter at such a wide focal length, just make sure you

30 sec. exposure, Lightroom for WB and contrast:
perseid-6970

Straight out of camera. Classic Chrome. Notice the vignetting, I actually like it.
Italia

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

One more thing, on my copy, and I believe its the case for all, the infinity focus mark is wrong, it'll go beyond and throw off your focus. I calibrated by going outside, focusing at a far away object, then at another, and when I was sure the lens was focused right at infinity I marked the ring position with a pocket knife.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Animal posted:

One more thing, on my copy, and I believe its the case for all, the infinity focus mark is wrong, it'll go beyond and throw off your focus. I calibrated by going outside, focusing at a far away object, then at another, and when I was sure the lens was focused right at infinity I marked the ring position with a pocket knife.

Not sure if this is the exact problem you're talking about, but many lens let you focus past infinity, so if you're just cranking it all the way to one side that might be the issue, you should just go to the infinity mark. But then again, it that's actually what you're doing and it's still off I guess your method would solve the issue.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

McLarenF1 posted:

Not sure if this is the exact problem you're talking about, but many lens let you focus past infinity, so if you're just cranking it all the way to one side that might be the issue, you should just go to the infinity mark. But then again, it that's actually what you're doing and it's still off I guess your method would solve the issue.

McLarenF1 posted:

McLarenF1 posted:

Yeah it'll go beyond infinity, but the infinity mark is still not a perfect focus, its a bit off.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There was a deal for last batch of Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 for 399, you should be able to find a mint copy used for cheaper.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm UK based and importing anything from the US/CAN will cost 20-30% extra in taxes plus shipping unfortunately. Ill have a look for a secondhad Tokina, I wasnt aware they did Fuji X mount models?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No they have C/N/S mounts, its the same as MF to you since you are shopping a MF lens.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So I went shooting to a convention today, had fun time, and my Sony a7 really proved its worth. The ISO alone is amazing in low light with minimal losses (I shot around 400 for 90% of the day, I went up to 4000 for some concerts and cosplay contests, but generally was able to get quality images from the camera. My 40D worked as a decent backup but the thing about full frame is, it is almost intoxicating in that you have so much more camera area, making both wide angle shots and personal shots possible (I was going with 16-35 sigma adapted via the LE-EA4),. I'm just raving and to anyone who is on the fence, the A7 is a great product, and its wireless features are awesome (I was able to send some of the basic pictures to my phone, and then to some friends pretty quickly, which to me feels almost like magic.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Glad you had a great time, the a7 rocks. I am not sure I quite understand this statement:

Ryand-Smith posted:

the thing about full frame is, it is almost intoxicating in that you have so much more camera area, making both wide angle shots and personal shots possible.

You mean your lens?

Animal fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 8, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Probably means higher background separation than with an APS-C camera. At least that's how I interpret "personal shots".

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cropability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Went to sleep, I mean, I have the ability to say capture a person with a background and remove excess, so yeah, Cropability might be what I am looking for. I think I'm missing the right vocabulary for this discussion.