Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist
Six year old me was terrified of people in PSAs saying they didn't drink. It made clean cut nice people seem insane to me for choosing to never drink even water just to make themselves feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I remember hearing an ad during our visit to Las Vegas in which a guy is lamenting his multiple credit cards that are maxed out, then his wife chimes in and tells him about this new great credit card that they can get, with low interest and all that poo poo.

I remember because I actually stopped what I was doing and said aloud "What the gently caress?!" and my wife in the bathroom stuck her head out and was like "Are they actually serious? Is this a real ad?"

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

As far as I can tell, the Australian government periodically picks a meat out of a hat and plugs it with a massive advertising campaign for the year. This time around it's pork and the ad directly compares it to other meats eg "slimmer than beef". Of course since they've plugged beef over pork in the past and will again in the future it just comes off as blatant hypocrisy.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

As far as I can tell, the Australian government periodically picks a meat out of a hat and plugs it with a massive advertising campaign for the year. This time around it's pork and the ad directly compares it to other meats eg "slimmer than beef". Of course since they've plugged beef over pork in the past and will again in the future it just comes off as blatant hypocrisy.

I think those campaigns are run by industry groups, not the government.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

EoinCannon posted:

You know all my life I've assumed it's the government for absolutely no good reason. :downs:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaKretin posted:

You know all my life I've assumed it's the government for absolutely no good reason. :downs:

To be fair, governments have done that in the past. In the UK, during the mid 50s after they ended rationing, they had to run ads reminding people that they should start eating stuff like beef again.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

EoinCannon posted:

Sometimes their ads are so obtuse and weird, like this classic (warning, peak 90s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xkBpT85pXA

That you will still find people online asking, what the hell it was they tried to sell you.

Turns out, this was actually promoting eating more cheese.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Speaking of MEAT ads:
*hoedown.wav*
"BEEF. IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER :911:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tviyAIS9c_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhxhiffTFwE
These ads ran for at least a decade and are truly american.

Peanut President has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Nov 3, 2015

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Section 9 posted:

Even after seeing it three times the only thing I remember is that it made a point that if you smoked marijuana and went driving, everything looked very slow and calm, while you were really driving at breakneck speed. So apparently pot gives you inhuman reflexes?

I can confirm this.

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Nov 3, 2015

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

PS Sam Neil and Sam Kekovich aren't part of the Australian government you loving dolt.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pocket Billiards posted:

PS Sam Neil and Sam Kekovich aren't part of the Australian government you loving dolt.

Good thing I didn't think, say or imply that then? :confused: I'm not even sure who those people are but a quick google says actors so they wouldn't have to be for the ads to be made by the government - although I already admitted literally two posts down from what you quoted that I was wrong on that count. It's cool though, rushing to spew insults is far more important than reading. :thumbsup:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Pocket Billiards posted:

I would vote for Sam Neill. He made a great U.S. Ambassador to Great Britain. :devil:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Peanut President posted:

Speaking of MEAT ads:
*hoedown.wav*

Reminds me of these amazing moves in marketing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dnUs2AqWvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idnwh6iDnXA

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Peanut President posted:

Speaking of MEAT ads:
*hoedown.wav*

I can hear the song without even clicking the link.

Also I'm getting SO pissed off that I can't find that ad I talked about earlier itt. Any search for death in a psa brings up that australian one with the bowling linked earlier. You would think it would be a "classic" considering it aired so much, right alongside "this is your brain on drugs" and "I learned it from watching YOU!"

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

This PSA had the opposite effect on lazy teen me than they intended, as it made meth seem like a great way to clean your house up and lose weight in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1Pl1zGowc

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

kith_groupie posted:

This PSA had the opposite effect on lazy teen me than they intended, as it made meth seem like a great way to clean your house up and lose weight in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1Pl1zGowc

Didn't even need to open it to get the song stuck in my head.

"Whoa meth, mmm meth!"

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
As long as we're on the subject of terrifying PSAs, here's Astar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km4f-eRE4Kc

Astar still haunts my dreams.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My DARE officer eventually was convicted for drug dealing.

The best anti-drug thing I ever saw was my brother, high on weed laced with something. He came home from his close shift at KFC, toked out of his brain, and turned on every light in the house. What woke me was his booming, almost yelling voice from his room, where he, still in uniform, was asking imaginary customers if they wanted roasted or honey BBQ, thighs or breasts, etc. The dude was high as gently caress and he was at work in his drug haze. I thought the purpose of drugs was to escape the mundane, not relive it.

Somewhat a PSA from my lovely dead grandma, may she be a succubus in the next life. When I was a kid, I'd had sex ed (so vague. Man has penis. Penis goes in the big pee hole a woman has, and then a baby comes out. So never let a man touch your peehole unless you want a baby right now!) but most of it was way over my head. So when my parents decided to breed out MinPin dog Shasta, I went over to the stud's house with my mom and the dog. Our girl was either too late in the cycle or didn't like the stud, because she wouldn't stand for him. So we stayed for a few hours, and being a kid I wasn't paying attention when the dog cornered our dog and proceeded to mount her. Cue the most insane screaming that makes me tear up to this day. The stud was bigger than Shasta, had her trapped between the wall and a doghouse, and she kept screaming for almost half an hour, only stopping to whimper. I remember there was blood after he finally got down, and later that day my nice grandma called and asked how the breeding went, because she wanted a puppy. I, being a stupid kid, told her everything, from the screams to the blood to how our dog couldn't sit down after. And my nice grandma told me that that was what sex was. Down to the last detail. So when my boyfriend ever wanted to have sex, I needed to remember all the blood and how hurt the dog was, how badly she screamed, because THAT WOULD BE ME ONE DAY.

I think if anyone chooses a sexuality, right then my mind said: No, gently caress that, I am never having sex with a man, I am never going through that,, I'm a lesbian now.

It put quite a damper on the rest of my childhood, because every morning when my dad bitched about not getting laid the night before, I came pretty close to screaming at him not to hurt my mom. Clearly Grandma was right because my dad always wanted to have sex, to the point he loudly bitched about it to his grade-school kids, and my mom didn't want to hurt us kids by us hearing her scream.

And even when I got sex ed later in school, I said nothing. Clearly the sex ed was so scant in details, I figured, because the teachers didn't want to scar the girls.

Drugs and sex. Life would be so much better if we were just loving honest about them both.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Some of those meth PSAs were hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlcAdqAjWFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlQ3p08A4CY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPu-W06ZMgg

(That last one was directed by Darren Aronofsky!)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Cowslips Warren posted:

My DARE officer eventually was convicted for drug dealing.

The best anti-drug thing I ever saw was my brother, high on weed laced with something. He came home from his close shift at KFC, toked out of his brain, and turned on every light in the house. What woke me was his booming, almost yelling voice from his room, where he, still in uniform, was asking imaginary customers if they wanted roasted or honey BBQ, thighs or breasts, etc. The dude was high as gently caress and he was at work in his drug haze. I thought the purpose of drugs was to escape the mundane, not relive it.

Somewhat a PSA from my lovely dead grandma, may she be a succubus in the next life. When I was a kid, I'd had sex ed (so vague. Man has penis. Penis goes in the big pee hole a woman has, and then a baby comes out. So never let a man touch your peehole unless you want a baby right now!) but most of it was way over my head. So when my parents decided to breed out MinPin dog Shasta, I went over to the stud's house with my mom and the dog. Our girl was either too late in the cycle or didn't like the stud, because she wouldn't stand for him. So we stayed for a few hours, and being a kid I wasn't paying attention when the dog cornered our dog and proceeded to mount her. Cue the most insane screaming that makes me tear up to this day. The stud was bigger than Shasta, had her trapped between the wall and a doghouse, and she kept screaming for almost half an hour, only stopping to whimper. I remember there was blood after he finally got down, and later that day my nice grandma called and asked how the breeding went, because she wanted a puppy. I, being a stupid kid, told her everything, from the screams to the blood to how our dog couldn't sit down after. And my nice grandma told me that that was what sex was. Down to the last detail. So when my boyfriend ever wanted to have sex, I needed to remember all the blood and how hurt the dog was, how badly she screamed, because THAT WOULD BE ME ONE DAY.

I think if anyone chooses a sexuality, right then my mind said: No, gently caress that, I am never having sex with a man, I am never going through that,, I'm a lesbian now.

It put quite a damper on the rest of my childhood, because every morning when my dad bitched about not getting laid the night before, I came pretty close to screaming at him not to hurt my mom. Clearly Grandma was right because my dad always wanted to have sex, to the point he loudly bitched about it to his grade-school kids, and my mom didn't want to hurt us kids by us hearing her scream.

And even when I got sex ed later in school, I said nothing. Clearly the sex ed was so scant in details, I figured, because the teachers didn't want to scar the girls.

Drugs and sex. Life would be so much better if we were just loving honest about them both.

:yikes:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

That's a great example of a post that goes from :haw: to :stonk: to :cry: in mere paragraphs

CW I'm drunk and sad about your dog now :(

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Nuebot posted:

After I moved to America we had some awful Anti-Sex sex-ed sort of stuff. One class had a doctor, or at least a guy who claimed to be a doctor, come in and tell us horrible stories like how one guy gave another guy a blowjob and the evil STD sperms caused his throat to rot instantly. Because everyone knows gays blow acidic loads.

"Gays blow acidic loads" is a good name for an album. Kind of like "weasels ripped my flesh"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

Agreed. Here's the talk we got in (public) school here in the rural Midwest:

"Sex is amazing and so much fun, you have these things called orgasms which are pretty much the best thing ever if you do it. So don't do it okay, because jesus loves you. Don't have sex until you're married. People might try to convince you to have the most fun two human beings can have, the fun factor amplified by all those hormones coursing through your young veins, but don't get naked and rub your genitals together even though it will feel so fuckin' good."

"Okay, on to drugs. Here's a case full of drugs. I'm going to tell you how each of these drugs makes you feel great. Don't do them, okay? Some people even do other people's pharmaceuticals, did you know that? Like if you're studying, taking your friend's ADD meds can make you smarter and able to study harder. But don't do that. Anyway here is pot. It makes you chill as gently caress. Don't do it though, ok? Jesus loves you. And this is what meth looks like. Lots of people do meth and like it a lot because they say it's amazing, but don't do that either. Oh and here's how you smoke it. LSD is another drug, you just put it in your mouth, and it will let you see music and you'll go on an awesome trip if you do. But don't, okay?"

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Agreed. Here's the talk we got in (public) school here in the rural Midwest:

"Sex is amazing and so much fun, you have these things called orgasms which are pretty much the best thing ever if you do it. So don't do it okay, because jesus loves you. Don't have sex until you're married. People might try to convince you to have the most fun two human beings can have, the fun factor amplified by all those hormones coursing through your young veins, but don't get naked and rub your genitals together even though it will feel so fuckin' good."

"Okay, on to drugs. Here's a case full of drugs. I'm going to tell you how each of these drugs makes you feel great. Don't do them, okay? Some people even do other people's pharmaceuticals, did you know that? Like if you're studying, taking your friend's ADD meds can make you smarter and able to study harder. But don't do that. Anyway here is pot. It makes you chill as gently caress. Don't do it though, ok? Jesus loves you. And this is what meth looks like. Lots of people do meth and like it a lot because they say it's amazing, but don't do that either. Oh and here's how you smoke it. LSD is another drug, you just put it in your mouth, and it will let you see music and you'll go on an awesome trip if you do. But don't, okay?"

Either we went to the same school or the same guy did our sex & drug talks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Some of those meth PSAs were hosed up.

And lest we forget, this poo poo started off by being inserted into Our Favorite Shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TENJNk4Wk4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alCiUI04WwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwi5Yy44_8

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We got 3 days of "Abstinence is the only way" talk in 8th grade civics as our sex ed. They handed out these little cards that were all "hey I promise not to have sex until marriage (signature goes here)" and a large portion of my class signed it and then promptly had bastard children right out of high school.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ugh Nancy Reagan, don't get me started.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Who can forget this though:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Len posted:

We got 3 days of "Abstinence is the only way" talk in 8th grade civics as our sex ed. They handed out these little cards that were all "hey I promise not to have sex until marriage (signature goes here)" and a large portion of my class signed it and then promptly had bastard children right out of high school.

Same here, except it was "got married right out of high school and had 2 kids and then got divorced by 23".

Premarital sex is way better than getting divorced. Pressuring kids to wait until they get married to have sex just makes them want to marry the first person they want to bang.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Who can forget this though:

Note for the younguns: this showed up when you lost.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Man, you people have hosed up sex ed. I guess I take it for granted that I went to school in God-less, liberal New England.

I think it started in 6th grade, and that was just pretty basic stuff that everyone knew by then. Man has a weiner, girl's got a clam, smoosh 'em together, out pops a little man.

But then in 7-10th grade is when we had more serious stuff. Basically the same class, but taken, like, 3 loving times between junior high and high school.

We learned about STDs, proper condom usage, other BC methods like pills, diaphragms, sponges, vasectomies, etc...Even had units on breast, cervical, and testicular cancer. Lots of giggling and jokes when it came to fondling the fake silicone breasts and balls.

The only part I remember being sort of "anti-sex" was in one of the classes, one day some pregnant/just given birth teens who I imagine were fulfilling some sort of community service thing came in and were like "yeah, don't get knocked up as a teenager."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, you people have hosed up sex ed. I guess I take it for granted that I went to school in God-less, liberal New England.

Yeah, my sex ed in north NJ was pretty good. The emphasis was on protection rather than just abstience and FEEL BAD ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR DESIRES. I mean they did include that the only surefire 100% way to not get pregnant was to not have sex, but the implication was that they knew people would want to and should just be smart about it.

Parts of the sex ed were frank enough that I think it took some of the mystery and intrigue away and probably satisfied at least enough curiosity for people to be smarter about their unmarried relations.

There was one senior who was preg when I was a freshman, but besides her it seemed like everyone waited at least until they had their HS diploma to procreate.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think it started in 6th grade, and that was just pretty basic stuff that everyone knew by then. Man has a weiner, girl's got a clam, smoosh 'em together, out pops a little man.

But then in 7-10th grade is when we had more serious stuff. Basically the same class, but taken, like, 3 loving times between junior high and high school.

We learned about STDs, proper condom usage, other BC methods like pills, diaphragms, sponges, vasectomies, etc...Even had units on breast, cervical, and testicular cancer. Lots of giggling and jokes when it came to fondling the fake silicone breasts and balls.

The only part I remember being sort of "anti-sex" was in one of the classes, one day some pregnant/just given birth teens who I imagine were fulfilling some sort of community service thing came in and were like "yeah, don't get knocked up as a teenager."

I think a lot of the bad sex ed stuff is made right the hell up. I grew up in rural Texas and got the sex ed experience you're describing. Condom on banana and everything.

Of course, that was the seventh grade sex ed. The fourth grade one was a lot less informative and more "this exists but you shouldn't be doing it". Not because of any fear of sex, but because we were like ten years old.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i'm in south jersey and we definitely got "DO NOT HAVE SEX UNTIL YOU ARE MARRIED BEEP BOOP", although it probably doesn't help that apparently the town i went to high school in is super religious (it's a tourist trap island thing and yet it's a dry town because alcohol isn't allowed to be sold anywhere on it???)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You guys aren't even allowed to fill your own gas though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I went to a super-protestant high school, but the health teacher didn't give a gently caress. We got a good, regular education on STDs, how to strap your poo poo, and she cut out a lot of the abstinence education garbage and taught if not a sex-positive course, a very sex-neutral one and made sure to tell us that the ultraconservative Your One And OnlyTM works for some people but don't let them act like it's the only way to live your life.

We got to meet her husband once, and after that the joke was that of course she'd teach such a chill curriculum, she married a ripped, seven-foot-tall Puerto Rican dude.

For the drugs portion of the course, we got a lot of speakers delivering anti-alcohol or anti-meth messages, and one guy came in and talked about the dangers of steroids, but when we finished that segment and hadn't had a section on weed (because, like all good brainwashed teenagers attending a fairly Christian school, we found it weird that we didn't hear any propaganda against the Devil's Plant), we asked her why not, to which she said, "Yeah... well, what about it?" :2bong:

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Nov 5, 2015

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

You guys aren't even allowed to fill your own gas though

It's b/c people kept putting condoms over the gas nossel

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

It's b/c people kept putting condoms over the gas nossel

Little Known Facts of America

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Premarital sex is way better than getting divorced.

This sounds like the sort of comparison that would come up in an episode of Review.

Premarital sex? 3.5 stars.
Divorce? 1 star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We can laugh at drug PSAs that suggest smoking pot is going to cause you to kill your friends and fund Terrorism, but Meth is a huge problem in a lot of the US. Though I'm sure giving kids something to do other than doing drugs is probably more effective than making ads showing 15 year olds getting gangbanged by strangers. I read that its more of a problem in suburbs and rural areas because there's poo poo to do so meth is the only thing to do. Actually, come to think of it, I cannot remember ever seeing a drug PSA that wasn't aimed at white kids. Either that's because they know white kids are actually more likely to use drugs, or they just don't care what black people do.

Canadian TV in the 80s always had Astar, a Robot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km4f-eRE4Kc

Not to return to console chat, bad 90s consoles all pretty much had bad, bad ads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZIbnZuqUuo CD-i
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxuna944dls Jaguar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCQRcinZYH8 Sega CD. I love how almost every shot from a game is just a shot from a FMV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYkgDWAYAE 32x Stick it in your Genesis!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn9pIqGSdeA R-zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkqWvuM41-0 3D0 because nintendo and sega are for BABIES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGJvO8Lt1ig N-gage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzR52PC6S50 Gizmondo

Now, Some of these aren't bad ads from a technical standpoint. They are bad ads because they don't show the games you can play. It's the same thing with the Ps3. You get this slick ad that could be for anything and then at the end you get what its for.