Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It sounds like Mayael would be more what you're looking for if you want random fatties every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hi Commander thread. Due to a mix of moving, getting married, and the resulting fallout from doing those at almost the same time, I haven't played Magic since early June. The store closest to me does mostly Commander & Tiny Leaders, and I'm hoping to use them as an enabler to get back into the game. Last time I played was at this store with my Captain Sisay list, with which I've had a good amount of success. The goal of the deck is to keep laying very powerful creatures and/or toolbox legendaries of my choosing, then go HAM with Kamahl and a couple big guys once I have a strong enough board. I'm not looking to completely overhaul it or anything, but I'd like to hear if people think I need more or less ramp/fatties/defense etc., and what I might move around to make that happen. Also any cards I should be on the lookout to pick up once I have a few extra shekels to spend on Magic; DTK Dromoka and New-lamog are both on my radar.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

C-Euro posted:

Hi Commander thread. Due to a mix of moving, getting married, and the resulting fallout from doing those at almost the same time, I haven't played Magic since early June. The store closest to me does mostly Commander & Tiny Leaders, and I'm hoping to use them as an enabler to get back into the game. Last time I played was at this store with my Captain Sisay list, with which I've had a good amount of success. The goal of the deck is to keep laying very powerful creatures and/or toolbox legendaries of my choosing, then go HAM with Kamahl and a couple big guys once I have a strong enough board. I'm not looking to completely overhaul it or anything, but I'd like to hear if people think I need more or less ramp/fatties/defense etc., and what I might move around to make that happen. Also any cards I should be on the lookout to pick up once I have a few extra shekels to spend on Magic; DTK Dromoka and New-lamog are both on my radar.

Oblation sux now use beast within.
Godsend is :krad:

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 3, 2015

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Someone posting on Commander Theory manipulated the blurred-out cards on the front of the packages and has possible text for the GB experienced-based commander. It seems to be "when another creature you control dies, you get an xp counter" and "at the beginning of your upkeep, choose a creature card in your graveyard. If its CMC is equal to or lower than the number of xp counters you have, return it to the battlefield tapped".

UG Ezuri leaked too, he's not setting my world on fire. If you want counters in UB just stick with Vorel or something. And if you wanna make lots of little dudes and get value out of them, Edric is likely better.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 3, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Coucho Marx posted:

Someone posting on Commander Theory manipulated the blurred-out cards on the front of the packages and has possible text for the GB experienced-based commander. It seems to be "when another creature you control dies, you get an xp counter" and "at the beginning of your upkeep, choose a creature card in your graveyard. If its CMC is equal to or lower than the number of xp counters you have, return it to the battlefield tapped".

UG Ezuri leaked too, he's not setting my world on fire. If you want counters in UB just stick with Vorel or something. And if you wanna make lots of little dudes and get value out of them, Edric is likely better.

Welp, guess I'm sticking with Kruphix for the time being.

Can't even be used in Tiny Leaders either!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Shortest Path posted:

It sounds like Mayael would be more what you're looking for if you want random fatties every turn.

Overdone, plus I really want to play Future Sight with Timesifter.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Fun fact - Mazirek goes infinite with any free sac outlet plus a persist creature, making every other creature you control (including Mazirek) infinitely huge (put the get +1/+1 counters trigger on the stack first, then persist afterwards). Aerie Ouphies combos with Mazirek without needing as sac outlet, as long as you have at least one flier to target and stack those triggers too. Puppeteer Clique can steal every dead creature in opponent's graveyards, and you can sac them and then Puppeteer again to do it repeatedly if they have nice ETB/LTB/death triggers. Use Woodfall Primus to blast everyone's mana base and non-creature cards to bits, have Savra or a Grave Pact effect on the field and you can make them dump their creatures too (for even more triggers yay!).

gently caress, this is what my Nath deck always wanted to be. Double edit: this is what my Teysa deck wanted to be. I'll be taking apart my Jarad deck to build this monstrosity, and I'll hardly have to spend a cent to do it (apart from Mazirek himself, but I'll likely just proxy him until I can get a hold of a single, unless there's some really nice stuff in the precon).

edit: haha it even triggers on players cracking fetches and everything, so much value

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 3, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Toshimo posted:

Is it? I thought I remember people being really excited to use it in EDH when it was first revealed, and then people realized it didn't work the way they thought it did. Or maybe I'm just mis-remembering?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. You're going to have to explain this one to me.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

C-Euro posted:

Is it? I thought I remember people being really excited to use it in EDH when it was first revealed, and then people realized it didn't work the way they thought it did. Or maybe I'm just mis-remembering?

It exiles the card and then says "You can't cast this card". But if you exile a Commander, it moves from exile to the Command Zone, so Godsend loses track of it and doesn't prevent it from being recast.

Despite that, it would be a decent card if only it weren't double white.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's +3/+3 and exile a blocker and fetchable with Sisay. That's money on a trampler, what did you think the card did?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

It's +3/+3 and exile a blocker and fetchable with Sisay. That's money on a trampler, what did you think the card did?

I don't know many G/W/x decks that use equipment at all. I just don't think its worth the card slot. At least in my Jor Kadeen deck, I'd run Assault Suit and Deathrender before I run Godsend.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'd happily drop it into the Nahiri deck.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

It's hilarious with Odric.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I was thinking of doing some more "deckbuilding process" writeups. Looking for suggestions of Commander/Archetype/Theme people would like to see. Pretty open ended.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Toshimo posted:

I was thinking of doing some more "deckbuilding process" writeups. Looking for suggestions of Commander/Archetype/Theme people would like to see. Pretty open ended.

I'm starting the process of building a Rafiq deck so anything on him or voltron in general would be much appreciated. I had a nahiri deck that I based of the precon since I love suiting up creatures, but mono white is pretty limiting.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Toshimo posted:

Snake tribal with the new commander. No Hermit Druid allowed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Toshimo posted:

Hm I guess it does remove the blocker before damage, that does seem nice. Could be good against reanimation-based decks too. I'll keep an eye out for one on the cheap.

Toshimo posted:

Would be curious to see some discussion on decks that poo poo out tokens, as I have one built and one semi-built designed to do just that.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Do you want challenge builds? I have a few commanders who I would like to see someone good at deck building to make.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

5-Color Alternate Win Conditions. (Something like Mayael's Aria, Mortal Combat, or Darksteel Reactor)

In other news, I rebuilt by Jor Kadeen deck. Now featuring all the equipment search, and a pretty cool Sunforger package. There've been a decent number of cards for the deck in recent sets.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Actually now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind seeing a write up of how to make mono color decks work. Obviously they will never be as good as like a BUG or UWG deck, but something like a color, the best commander and a little write up on how to
Make the deck work could be interesting.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Toshimo posted:

Please do a write up on building a mana base and one on card efficiency in EDH. I see a lot of people confused on these 2 things.

Also, if you have budget friendly advice on a Jeleva deck that would be cool. I've been given $50 to build a Jeleva deck that is mildly competitive in multiplayer. I know I can probably do this if I sacrifice on the lands and expensive tutors. Not to mention I can help them out with some of my own cards...

Edit: Well, found the best Commander of the new set so far. Link

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 4, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

Please do a write up on building a mana base and one on card efficiency in EDH. I see a lot of people confused on these 2 things.

Also, if you have budget friendly advice on a Jeleva deck that would be cool. I've been given $50 to build a Jeleva deck that is mildly competitive in multiplayer. I know I can probably do this if I sacrifice on the lands and expensive tutors. Not to mention I can help them out with some of my own cards...

Here is a Jeleva decklist I made awhile back and recently updated for Dragons but not Origins; I really recommend the creatureless set up but if you can't find a Proteus Staff (which can be pricy) you're safe to add a few creatures. The main takeaway is that you basically want to run 1) Big spells with big effects (stuff like Clone Legion, Army of the Damned, Rise of the Dark Realms, etc.), 2) Artifact ramp to cast these spells if Jeleva isn't feasible (Thran Dynamo, Darksteel Ingot, etc), 3) Ways to protect Jeleva/give her haste (Lightning Greaves, Whispersilk Cloak, Hall of the Bandit Lord, those Hexproof+Haste boots), and 4) Ways to bounce/recycle Jeleva (Crystal Shard, that wizard bounce land from Onslaught, that bounce portal from Exodus, etc.).

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Here is a Jeleva decklist I made awhile back and recently updated for Dragons but not Origins; I really recommend the creatureless set up but if you can't find a Proteus Staff (which can be pricy) you're safe to add a few creatures. The main takeaway is that you basically want to run 1) Big spells with big effects (stuff like Clone Legion, Army of the Damned, Rise of the Dark Realms, etc.), 2) Artifact ramp to cast these spells if Jeleva isn't feasible (Thran Dynamo, Darksteel Ingot, etc), 3) Ways to protect Jeleva/give her haste (Lightning Greaves, Whispersilk Cloak, Hall of the Bandit Lord, those Hexproof+Haste boots), and 4) Ways to bounce/recycle Jeleva (Crystal Shard, that wizard bounce land from Onslaught, that bounce portal from Exodus, etc.).

Okay, so it sounds like I am on the right track. I had a few creatures because Proteus Staff is a tad pricey due to Narset being a thing ($4 isn't terrible, but I gotta make sure she has the actual spells to play after using Proteus first). I had Crystal Shard, Erratic Portal and Riptide Laboratory is on my list of things I may help her pay for. Thanks for the link I can use that to get off the ground.

Edit: I have to ask...what is with everyone putting Stolen Identity in their list? Since you aren't paying anything to cast Jeleva doesn't that mean you get zero mill and use out of that card? Or is it just to copy an artifact?

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 4, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Presumably you're attacking with her a bunch to cast the poo poo you exile, so Stolen Identity is huge value because you cast a copy of it each time she connects. Just grab whatever the biggest/valuest dude or artifact on the board is every time.

Also remember that blinking her makes you unable to cast any of the stuff you previously exiled with her because she's a new object.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Presumably you're attacking with her a bunch to cast the poo poo you exile, so Stolen Identity is huge value because you cast a copy of it each time she connects. Just grab whatever the biggest/valuest dude or artifact on the board is every time.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought that Stolen Identity was just copying Jeleva each turn when she connected. No wonder I was so confused.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

OssiansFolly posted:

Wow I love that dude. 4 mana for a 3/4 with a Raise Dead or a Resurrection every turn? Hell yeah.

A bunch of self-sac dudes like Rampant Snake, Evolutionary Leap, a few fatties, Buried Alive or a discard outlet... yeeeeeeah.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought that Stolen Identity was just copying Jeleva each turn when she connected. No wonder I was so confused.

Yeah it's pretty awesome, and unless I'm wrong it resolves before Jeleva connects, so you 1) Cast Stolen Identity off of Jeleva's attack trigger, 2) Cipher it to Jeleva, 3) Connect with Jeleva, getting a second copy.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Yeah it's pretty awesome, and unless I'm wrong it resolves before Jeleva connects, so you 1) Cast Stolen Identity off of Jeleva's attack trigger, 2) Cipher it to Jeleva, 3) Connect with Jeleva, getting a second copy.

Yea because Jeleva gets a card when she attacks and the Cipher happens when damage is done. I just thought the card was only able to cast the card it was ciphered to...made it seem really stupid to copy a Legendary that only matters if you cast it with a mana cost.

Edit: I feel Jeleva decks generally lack card draw...is there a reason for that?

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 4, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea because Jeleva gets a card when she attacks and the Cipher happens when damage is done. I just thought the card was only able to cast the card it was ciphered to...made it seem really stupid to copy a Legendary that only matters if you cast it with a mana cost.

Edit: I feel Jeleva decks generally lack card draw...is there a reason for that?

Might be a 'forest for the trees' thing where you overload on big spells and forget to add in some card advantage; it's why I like to use Rhystic Study or that 1-drop card draw enchantment to keep things automatic while you devote mana to re-casting Jeleva.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Might be a 'forest for the trees' thing where you overload on big spells and forget to add in some card advantage; it's why I like to use Rhystic Study or that 1-drop card draw enchantment to keep things automatic while you devote mana to re-casting Jeleva.

If I cast a spell that is exiled with Jeleva it then goes to the GY, right?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Correct.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
We're going to start off this series of articles with a Rafiq Voltron deck.

Just some preamble: Unless specifically part of the design, I'm not going to worry about budget, but I won't generally throw anything over $100 into a deck unless it's super-staples like OG Duals, LotV, or JTMS, or it's crucial to a build, like Gaea's Cradle. If you got Grim tutors and Mana Crypts and Tabernacles that you want to jam in everything, by all means. Also, I'll generally work off the official Banlist (MTGCommander or Duel as appropriate), but I'll consider Hermit Druid as banned because I'm not going to try and warp every deck design to have to either run it or fight it.

As far as EDH design goes, I plan around a 4-player FFA for non-Duel, and I expect players to play for the win, which means I am not going to ever plan on durdling/goldfishing. I expect every deck to come close to the ideal 30% winrate, or at least make the effort. After that, anything goes, so if your playgroup has some folks that will get ~Platinum Mad~ over you Strip Mining their Cabal Coffers, or you trying to close out the game in under 8 turns, welp. TOUGH poo poo. Because, where I come from, we'd rather wrap a game in 20-30 minutes and start the next one than watch people stare at each other in the world's worst stalemate for 3 hours.

Decklist: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-11-15-rafiq-voltron/

So, let's talk Voltron. There's generally 2 types. With a commander that can protect themself, like Uril, Thrun, or Narset or something like that, you can build bigger, play a longer game, and maybe control the board a bit. With a commander that is vulnerable, like Rafiq, you pretty much play like an old-school Suicide Black deck and try to close out as fast as possible because you don't have a lategame. This is because after you spend enough deckslots on things to beef your commander, things to protect your commander, things to fix your draws, ways to deal with your opponents, and mana-fixing/ramp, you are going to be at like 200 cards. There's just so much space in the deck, so you have to streamline, swing early, swing hard, take the wins you can take and be happy with that.

For Rafiq, it's all about turncount. Sinc you only care about Commander damage, and, naturally, he's swinging 8 damage per turn, he's a 3 turn clock per player. To get him to a 1-turn clock, you'd need to give him +7/+0. All 1-card solutions for that are very inefficient, and almost all of the +4/+0-+6/+0's are as well, which means it would take 3 cards to do that. So, realistically, we should be aiming for a 2-turn KO, which we can do with a measly +2/+0, of which there are plenty of efficient sources.

So, goal #1: Find relevant sources of +2/+0 that either:
  • (A) Cost little to no mana-fixing/ramp
  • (B) Offer some other protection, or
  • (C) Are a cheap recurring source.

Here's what I consider the best options in-color:
  • 1x Behemoth Sledge
  • 1x Champion's Helm
  • 1x Grafted Exoskeleton
  • 1x Hero's Blade
  • 1x O-Naginata
  • 1x Sword of Fire and Ice
  • 1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
  • 1x Selesnya Charm
  • 1x Simic Charm
  • 1x Invigorate
  • 1x Mutagenic Growth
  • 1x Wax/Wane
  • 1x Blessing of the Nephilim
  • 1x Boar Umbra
  • 1x Bonds of Faith
  • 1x Favor of the Overbeing
  • 1x Finest Hour
  • 1x Moldervine Cloak
  • 1x Rancor
  • 1x Shield of the Oversoul
  • 1x Spectral Flight
  • 1x Centaur Garden

Ok, so first off, we have the two 1-hit KO enablers, Grafted Exoskeleton and Finest Hour. Finest Hour is the most expensive thing we intend to hardcast in the deck (except, obviously, recasting our commander), and Grafted Exoskeleton is the most expensive equipment, but the option to cut the clock by 2 turns per player is probably worth the cost.

Behemoth Sledge, O-Naginata, SoFaI, Favor of the Overbieng, Shield of the Oversoul, and Spectral Flight are the most reliable, low-cost options to give us the needed +2/+0 coupled with evasion. While Behemoth Sledge might be slightly worse overall than Loxodon Warhammer, considering we will likely run some Protection effects, I think the fact that we can use it as a pitch card might make it better. It's a small difference, but one that would probably bear testing. Favor of the Overbeing is effectively a second Spectral Flight. Rafiq makes a lousy blocker, even with buffs. He's smaller than he is attacking and he loses Double Strike, so even with vigilance, I'd hesitate to even have him hop in front of a 3/3.

I really like the utility of Wax/Wane, Bonds of Faith, Simic Charm, and Selesnya Charm. They can help us punch through a win as pumps, while acting as potent removal/protection when necessary. Rancor and Moldervine Cloak are solid recurring enchantments, Boar Umbra is expensive, but might push us through a piece of removal, and Blessing of the Nephilim is a 1-mana permanent +3/+3, so it will do work. Invigorate is a good reminder that we don't care about opposing life totals, and is one of the few efficient +4/+0's, so we can use it to sneak in some 1-hit KOs. Elspeth is pretty self-explanatory, and Centaur Garden can help push through in the late-game without costing us a spell slot.

The most on-the-fence cards are probably Mutagenic Growth, Champion's Helm, and Hero's Blade. I'd try them out for a bit, and see if they are carrying their weight. If not, I guess something like Loxodon Warhammer, Steel of the Godhead, or Sword of Feast and Famine. You may notice that I've left out Umezawa's Jitte. That's a deliberate choice. While it does provide the same effective clock as a +2/+2 buff against a defenseless opponent, it doesn't do half as well against someone with blockers. One of the things that Rafiq really has going for him is that he pretty much mows down any blocker that gets tossed in front of him due to having double strike (very few 7+ toughness creatures are going to hop in front of him). Jitte's just not that good there. It will generally get you a 6 toughness dude down safely, but I'd really rather have evasion, protection, or trample stapled to that.

Now, we're looking at a low-cost deck. We want to be swinging with a 6/6 Rafiq turn 4 or 5. So, to make that work, we'll need to free up our mana as much as possible. I generally look for free/alternate casting cost stuff for cheap decks at this point to make sure we're covering our bases.
  • 1x Daze
  • 1x Force of Will
  • 1x Mental Misstep
  • 1x Reverent Mantra
  • 1x Reverent Silence
  • 1x Snap
  • 1x Snapback
  • 1x Submerge
  • 1x Sunscour
  • 1x Tidal Bore

Daze and Force of Will are straightforward, Mental Misstep is an auto-include: Our biggest hurdles are StP, PtE, and 1-mana counterspells. Since we absolutely need to push through a swing on opponents that often only have 1-2 blockers, Snap, Snapback, Submerge and Tidal Bore are all going to help get us there for (effectively) no mana. Your meta might need different answers, but I'd try these first before branching out, to see if you can catch people too slow. Reverent Mantra is tricky. Sometimes, it'll be a hard play since you'd wind up knocking off your enchantments, but remember that (a) it applies to ALL creatures, not just yours, and (b) it does not target. Have some fun trying it out, it can do a lot of work. Reverent Silence is another nod to our disregard for opposing life totals, and will sometimes be a 3-1 or better, but you'll want to see how it works for you, since this deck does run some clutch enchantments. Sunscour is a Hail Mary, and might not work as well as I hoped, but you do need at least 1 way to wipe the board, so I'd give it some time, and maybe switch to plain old Wrath if you need to.

Ok, given what we've got so far, it's probably best to add some efficient tutors:
  • 1x Steelshaper's Gift
  • 1x Enlightened Tutor
  • 1x Mystical Tutor

And then, our counter/removal suite:
  • 1x Cryptic Command
  • 1x Cyclonic Rift
  • 1x Nature's Claim
  • 1x Path to Exile
  • 1x Remand
  • 1x Spell Pierce
  • 1x Swords to Plowshares
  • 1x Parallax Wave
  • 1x Cataclysm
  • 1x Qasali Pridemage
  • 1x Reclamation Sage

Nothing surprising here. Keep it cheap, keep it broad. Cryptic Command can do double duty letting us tap out our opponents to steal a win. Parallax Wave can be a nasty surprise removing 2-3 blockers from multiple players to just give us enough time to do our thing. Cataclysm is high-rish, high-reward. With an buffed Rafiq, it'll probably close out any game, if they don't have cheap spot removal. If anything, I'd like to sneak in another counter or two, maybe Miscalculation and Memory Lapse.

Some card draw/filtering:
  • 1x Brainstorm
  • 1x Mystic Remora
  • 1x Sylvan Library
  • 1x Mulldrifter

I'd like to have more, but keeping it low-mana and card-positive is tough. There's some stuff like Hunter's Insight that I'd like to love, but I think if you are connecting with the face, you are already mostly there, and the real times you need cards are where you are behind.

An odd choice:
1x Lightning Greaves

This is one I felt the need to single out. Yes, this actively works against a large part of your deck. But, honestly, sometimes you just need to get online for 0 mana. It does everything right despite doing everything wrong. I with the replacement for this wasn't so very much worse.

And mana:
  • 1x Carpet of Flowers
  • 1x Sylvan Scrying
  • 1x Azorius Signet
  • 1x Chrome Mox
  • 1x Coldsteel Heart
  • 1x Expedition Map
  • 1x Selesnya Signet
  • 1x Simic Signet
  • 1x Sol Ring
  • 1x Talisman of Progress
  • 1x Noble Hierarch
  • 1x Sakura-Tribe Elder

Carpet of Flowers is a gamble, but a fairly reliable one since just 1 opposing Island makes it better than virtually every other mana rock. Seeing 2-3 other Islands early makes it a goddamn house. You'll notice a lack of 3-mana rocks. This deck wants to hit 4. It wants 4 so bad. That means you'll wedge in lovely 2-mana rocks like Coldsteel Heart over Coalition Relic or Commander's Stone. However, the colored mana requirements in this deck are so goddamn tight that you can't really afford to run the colorless 2-mana rocks like Mind Stone or Everflowing Chalice. You'll really have to mock up some hands to see how tight it is.

Land base is just a guestimate since I'd really need a dozen or so games to iron it out. The only real highlight is Cavern of Souls (yes, this is :40bux:, but every Commander collection should have one and it is absolutely a non-negotiable for this type of deck). Otherwise, just keeping the symbols balanced, and keeping enough basics (the reason why things like Okina and Minamo didn't make the cut), and especially enough Islands. The newly spoiled land that lets you put your commander into your hand is gonna be an auto-include as well.

So, yeah, the strat here is simple. Mulligan agressively if you have to in order to hit at least some part of mana rock, pump spell, and, if you are extremely lucky, Remora/Sylvan, and then start turning sideways as fast as possible, prioritizing targets with removal or who have the possibility of comboing over you if you leave them until last. Fair creature decks are probably your least concern since you'll probably be able to sneak past them when the time comes.

This isn't the deepest deck, but it can be enjoyable if you approach it with the right expectation. Sometimes we all just want to punch dudes with our Legendary Knights. It's also a good opportunity to think your deckbuilding practices through, start to finish. Good luck out there.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 5, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

So, let's talk Voltron. There's generally 2 types. With a commander that can protect themself, like Uril, Thrun, or Narset or something like that, you can build bigger, play a longer game, and maybe control the board a bit. With a commander that is vulnerable, like Rafiq, you pretty much play like an old-school Suicide Black deck and try to close out as fast as possible because you don't have a lategame. This is because after you spend enough deckslots on things to beef your commander, things to protect your commander, things to fix your draws, ways to deal with your opponents, and mana-fixing/ramp, you are going to be at like 200 cards. There's just so much space in the deck, so you have to streamline, swing early, swing hard, take the wins you can take and be happy with that.

For Rafiq, it's all about turncount. Sinc you only care about Commander damage, and, naturally, he's swinging 8 damage per turn, he's a 3 turn clock per player. To get him to a 1-turn clock, you'd need to give him +7/+0. All 1-card solutions for that are very inefficient, and almost all of the +4/+0-+6/+0's are as well, which means it would take 3 cards to do that. So, realistically, we should be aiming for a 2-turn KO, which we can do with a measly +2/+0, of which there are plenty of efficient sources.

So, goal #1: Find relevant sources of +2/+0 that either:
  • (A) Cost little to no mana-fixing/ramp
  • (B) Offer some other protection, or
  • (C) Are a cheap recurring source.

Here's what I consider the best options in-color:
  • 1x Behemoth Sledge
  • 1x Champion's Helm
  • 1x Grafted Exoskeleton
  • 1x Hero's Blade
  • 1x O-Naginata
  • 1x Sword of Fire and Ice
  • 1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
  • 1x Selesnya Charm
  • 1x Simic Charm
  • 1x Invigorate
  • 1x Mutagenic Growth
  • 1x Wax/Wane
  • 1x Blessing of the Nephilim
  • 1x Boar Umbra
  • 1x Bonds of Faith
  • 1x Favor of the Overbeing
  • 1x Finest Hour
  • 1x Moldervine Cloak
  • 1x Rancor
  • 1x Shield of the Oversoul
  • 1x Spectral Flight
  • 1x Centaur Garden

I'm honestly surprised you don't have Darksteel Axe in the deck. A colorless indestructible source of +2/+0 that you can drop turn 1 and forget about it until you need it has to be worth a slot.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You mean Grafted Exoskeleton, not Grafted Wargear.

Otherwise that's a loving fantastic writeup.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
:golfclap: Nice work. One thing that popped out to me is - without knowing how many shuffle effects the deck has - whether Brainstorm is the best option over, say, Ponder or Preordain? Main worry would be getting Brainstorm-locked. Alternatively, if you're willing to add more permanents, maybe Rhystic Study?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can play up to nine fetches in a 3-color deck if you need shuffle, depending on how many duals you play and how many utility lands you need.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Don't know how I managed to drop my decklist out before I posted that, but I've edit it in (also here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-11-15-rafiq-voltron/ )

With 10 shuffle effects and only 1 Brainstorm, I wouldn't worry too much. I'd rather have the instant speed over the advantages of a Ponder, anyway. You are going to want to be holding up countermagic or removal effects a lot, so EoT Brainstorm to set up your turn is gonna happen regularly.

Rhystic Study barely missed the cut, but when I'm at that stage of the game, I generally can't be tying 3 mana up for some delayed draws. Mulldrifter took that spot, and I'm ok with that.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Toshimo posted:

Don't know how I managed to drop my decklist out before I posted that, but I've edit it in (also here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-11-15-rafiq-voltron/ )

With 10 shuffle effects and only 1 Brainstorm, I wouldn't worry too much. I'd rather have the instant speed over the advantages of a Ponder, anyway. You are going to want to be holding up countermagic or removal effects a lot, so EoT Brainstorm to set up your turn is gonna happen regularly.

Rhystic Study barely missed the cut, but when I'm at that stage of the game, I generally can't be tying 3 mana up for some delayed draws. Mulldrifter took that spot, and I'm ok with that.

Yeah I assumed you'd get a couple fetches in there, but wanted to bring it up. Good point about Rhystic Study, especially if you want to drop Rafiq early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You should totally include Temple of the False God for the occasional turn 5 play+equip Grafted Exoskeleton :barf: