Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Fool posted:

Just did a contract job for an out of state MSP.

They sent RAM to the client for me to install on two workstations.

I do the install, no issues, have the client login to the workstation, 32-bit windows.

The workstations already had 4gb of RAM, and the upgrade brought them up to 8gb each.

Total waste of time, but I still get paid.

At least RAM is really quick to install. I've talked an out of country site with no IT staff through installing RAM using skype for business and a webcam. I could have easily talked them through it but they wanted to confirm visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Our student helper has been creating some fillable pdf forms for one of our more notoriously picky people here. I question whether that's actually an IT responsibility or not, but I'm the only one that seems to object to stupid work here - but that's not the point.

There are apparently some issues with the fillable forms. Namely, there's a field that the user can write as much as they want in. The more they write, the smaller the font gets so it can all fit in the box. People are apparently writing so much it becomes nearly illegible. The suggestion was that we can increase the text box size, but then it won't fit on the page - this is unacceptable.

So we have to find a way to keep the text box the same size, but make sure the user can write as much as they want without decreasing text size.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So we have to find a way to keep the text box the same size, but make sure the user can write as much as they want without decreasing text size.

I believe they need some physics lessons

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Our student helper has been creating some fillable pdf forms for one of our more notoriously picky people here. I question whether that's actually an IT responsibility or not, but I'm the only one that seems to object to stupid work here - but that's not the point.

There are apparently some issues with the fillable forms. Namely, there's a field that the user can write as much as they want in. The more they write, the smaller the font gets so it can all fit in the box. People are apparently writing so much it becomes nearly illegible. The suggestion was that we can increase the text box size, but then it won't fit on the page - this is unacceptable.

I've bitched about it before, but I have to deal with this all the time with these lovely order forms our sales department uses. They're just excel sheets, and the date field is always a point of confusion for everyone, since, when they print the form, it just shows ############# in the date field. The "###" spam means too much text is in the text field.

They're always supremely pissed when I tell them they can't write the date out as "Tuesday November the 3rd of 2015."

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

quote:

Dear client,

You need to verify your log file. This file should give you enough information to find why the import is failing. I have seen this behaviour before, and generally it occurs due to incorrect formatting in your spreadsheet.

quote:

Hi Johnny,

PFA the log file, we don’t find any error.

Regards,

*opens log file*

quote:

ERROR 15-10 02:30:05,921 - Check for Error Results - Source folder/file [C:\Windows\system32\${JOBDIR}] can not be found!
INFO 15-10 02:30:07,518 - System_Setup - Job execution finished
INFO 15-10 02:31:01,127 - RepositoriesMeta - Reading repositories information from UDM:Config
INFO 15-10 02:31:01,257 - Support_Group - Start of job execution
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,611 - CTM_LoadSupportGroup - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,611 - CTM_LoadSupportGroup - Error initializing step [CTM_LoadSupportGroup]
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,612 - CTM_LoadSupportGroupAlias - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,612 - CTM_LoadSupportGroupAlias - Error initializing step [CTM_LoadSupportGroupAlias]
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,612 - CTM_LoadSGPOnCall - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,612 - CTM_LoadSGPOnCall - Error initializing step [CTM_LoadSGPOnCall]
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,613 - CFG_LoadBusinessTimeWorkdays - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,613 - CFG_LoadBusinessTimeWorkdays - Error initializing step [CFG_LoadBusinessTimeWorkdays]
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,613 - CTM_LoadSGPAssignments - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,613 - CTM_LoadSGPAssignments - Error initializing step [CTM_LoadSGPAssignments]
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,616 - CFG_LoadBusinessTimeHolidays - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,616 - CFG_LoadBusinessTimeHolidays - Error initializing step [CFG_LoadBusinessTimeHolidays]
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,907 - Support_Group - Step [CTM_LoadSupportGroup.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,907 - Support_Group - Step [CTM_LoadSupportGroupAlias.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,907 - Support_Group - Step [CTM_LoadSGPOnCall.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,908 - Support_Group - Step [CTM_LoadSGPAssignments.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,908 - Support_Group - Step [CFG_LoadBusinessTimeHolidays.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,908 - Support_Group - Step [CFG_LoadBusinessTimeWorkdays.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,915 - Support_Group - Error preparing the transformation
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,915 - Support_Group - fakeservername.exception.KettleException:
We failed to initialize at least one step. Execution can not begin!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

JohnnyCanuck posted:

*opens log file*
No, that was an old error. We fixed that and it's still not running. No, I don't know why the logs aren't showing any more run attempts. You need to fix it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Next, draw seven red lines, all perpendicular to each other. Two red, two green, the others transparent.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Let's not rush into any hasty answers Anderson.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So a large portion of my companies users use Yahoo Instant Messanger for desktop which is as horrible as it seems. I've briefly shown people slack before and they love it, but a large number of our customers only use yim. Is there any sort of app integration with yim and Slack? Is Trillian still a thing? I think that would suck less than Yahoo's desktop app which has a straight out of the 90's UI and spams a ton of horrible flash ads and crapware plugins that users just cant help themselves and click on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Trillian has a yim plugin, yes. And it's still a thing.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Let's not rush into any hasty answers Anderson.

Now hold on a second here, can you use blue ink?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

GreenNight posted:

The problem is most likely the CEO wants to work on poo poo offsite and doesn't want to VPN in to access documents. There are various solutions for this though, with time and money.

As always, the solution to this and all other problems is BuffaloBuffaloBuffaloBuffalo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So a large portion of my companies users use Yahoo Instant Messanger for desktop which is as horrible as it seems. I've briefly shown people slack before and they love it, but a large number of our customers only use yim. Is there any sort of app integration with yim and Slack? Is Trillian still a thing? I think that would suck less than Yahoo's desktop app which has a straight out of the 90's UI and spams a ton of horrible flash ads and crapware plugins that users just cant help themselves and click on.

If you're going to use a 3rd party app I would recommend Pidgin over Trillian.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

If you're going to use a 3rd party app I would recommend Pidgin over Trillian.

:agreed:

Trillian is terrible garbage, don't ever use it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I quite like Trillian.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I used to really like trillian. It really sucks these days though.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
"OK I have the system over here, and the wall port is over there, my cable can't reach. What should I do?"
"...Get a longer cable."

Some regional manager also wanted us to train them on the system even though their account had been access denied for non payment. We said you pay the reinstatement fee and what you owe and was can get to training. Nope, not good enough, training first then we decide if we want to pay and use your system.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Khisanth Magus posted:

I used to really like trillian. It really sucks these days though.

I dunno. As a cross-platform unified messaging service where I can start a conversation on one device and continue it on another (i.e. start chatting on my laptop and then move seamlessly to my smartphone) It's pretty handy. Also the fact that it unifies all my notifications for my social media accounts and my email accounts is pretty great. It doesn't consume a lot of resources and the crazy skin stuff is gone. I bought a lifetime Pro account a few years ago and don't regret it at all.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I dunno. As a cross-platform unified messaging service where I can start a conversation on one device and continue it on another (i.e. start chatting on my laptop and then move seamlessly to my smartphone) It's pretty handy. Also the fact that it unifies all my notifications for my social media accounts and my email accounts is pretty great. It doesn't consume a lot of resources and the crazy skin stuff is gone. I bought a lifetime Pro account a few years ago and don't regret it at all.

Maybe it has been improved since I last used it a year or 2 ago. The main thing I've used it for is its web based client for talking with my wife while at work.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A passive-aggressive comic came in.

Supervisor walked in and, laughing, pinned this to my bulletin board:

I'm going to change the text in the second panel to "It really sucks when you try for two years to do anything, but your rear end in a top hat supervisor cockblocks you every step of the way because he's an insecure autist."

I'm going to title it "2 weeks notice."

We have a plan, ladies and gentlemen.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder if he thinks he's Wally or Alice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm going to change the text in the second panel to "It really sucks when you try for two years to do anything, but your rear end in a top hat supervisor cockblocks you every step of the way because he's an insecure autist."

*itshappening.gif*

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Next, draw seven red lines, all perpendicular to each other. Two red, two green, the others transparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7MIJP90biM

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
At the risk of being picky he didn't use transparent ink and he didn't draw parallel lines:

quote:

In three-dimensional Euclidean space, parallel lines not only fail to intersect, but also maintain a constant separation between points closest to each other on the two lines. Therefore, parallel lines in three-space lie in a single plane (Kern and Blank 1948, p. 9). Lines in three-space which are not parallel but do not intersect are called skew lines.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ParallelLines.html

Plus, that looked more like a chipmunk than a kitten.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

spog posted:

At the risk of being picky he didn't use transparent ink and he didn't draw parallel lines:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ParallelLines.html

Plus, that looked more like a chipmunk than a kitten.

While perhaps technically correct, the only thing that matters is if you can convince the clients that their requirements are satisfied. Chance of clients asking for requirements like these while simultaneously understanding what they mean? Functionally zero, or they wouldn't be asking for them in the first place.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Write on it "Thanks for the good times, Wally. While it doesn't concern you, this is my two weeks' notice."

Call him Wally at every opportunity from then on.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

larchesdanrew posted:

It's like watching a trainwreck in slow-motion. Except the train is filled with everything you hate, and you're sprawled across a chaise lounge on the top of a nearby hill, eating grapes and sipping wine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Damnit. I was going to post that video.
Serves me right for not browsing SA at all today.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Tonight is the big election coverage night for state elections. The newsroom is full of reporters inputting election information into the database.

They are receiving the numbers through emailed photographs of number sheets or some poo poo. Anyways, all the pictures they are receiving were photographed sideways.

Rather than saving the photos and rotating the pictures, every reporter is cocking their heads ninety degrees and transcribing.

It's literally a room filled with adults with their heads laying on their shoulders.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've been using Trillian for drat near forever and I've been happy with it. and like said I can carry conversations between my phone, PC, and the web client pretty easy which is good given how much I switch around.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

He's wally right? He knows hes wally. or is he really saying that landschrew is wally?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

He knows he's Wally, and he's been actively sabotaging larchesandrew for daring to upset the gravy train of zero effort with some ambition to competence.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Supremely self-aware for such a historic idiot

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

He knows he's Wally, and he's been actively sabotaging larchesandrew for daring to upset the gravy train of zero effort with some ambition to competence.

This is a beautiful summary of every competent person's experience in this shithole.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The amusing part of that is that I saw that strip this morning, since I get Dilbert emailed to me daily (yeah I know Scott Adams is a turd, but I like office humor). Seeing your de facto IT director clip from a newspaper instead of print from an email somehow tickles me.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Print? Mail? Am I the only one to has a stable "open all these tabs" of comics every morning? :ohdear:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Crowley posted:

Print? Mail? Am I the only one to has a stable "open all these tabs" of comics every morning? :ohdear:

:hfive: open saved tabs buddy.

Lotsa :corsair: in this thread

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Y'all need to learn rss.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenNight posted:

Y'all need to learn rss.

Google Reader RIP

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

evol262 posted:

Google Reader RIP

I can't believe I am about to link this but Digg made a Reader that is just as good (and some say better). http://digg.com/reader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It's really to bad there isnt some way that I can force yahoo messenger to work with Slack since people in house love that. Apparently in my companies industry yim is so thoroughly entrenched that it'll never go away. Looking into pidgen and trillian for now. This is sort of low hanging fruit so the company doesnt want to spend any money which limits my options.

Also for RSS I've had decent luck with Feedly. Not as good but it does the job. Unfortunately more and more sites are abandoning RSS. Even now a lot of times the RSS feed for a site doesnt show the full article or page and is just a single line with a link to the content.

• Locked thread