Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

scuz posted:

The wheels hop in my lovely 2.0L MK4, even after the transmission mount bushing upgrades.

3 more years... 3 more years of payments and then I can sell it. Can't wait.

I just hit 160k mi in mine, if it can hold on 2 more years of me beating the hell out of it we'll have enough cash to replace it outright. I expect nothing on trade-in, the headliner is falling down and I don't give enough of a poo poo to fix it, pinning it up is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

devmd01 posted:

I just hit 160k mi in mine, if it can hold on 2 more years of me beating the hell out of it we'll have enough cash to replace it outright. I expect nothing on trade-in, the headliner is falling down and I don't give enough of a poo poo to fix it, pinning it up is good enough.

If it comes to that, sell it to me or some random kid in your neighborhood for a grand.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

VW cheated on CO2 emissions and gas mileage, too. " The company said the “majority” of cars involved have a diesel engine, which implies that petrol cars are involved in the scandal for the first time."

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Next up: "VWs found to actually be Chryslers!"

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Not quite, but almost as good:

VW US sales rise despite scandal

gently caress everything. I hope this comes with a massive margin loss from discounts to prop up the numbers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jealous Cow posted:

gently caress everything. I hope this comes with a massive margin loss from discounts to prop up the numbers.

Better buy your car today
http://m.imgur.com/UfWPUrk
(Stop sale in basically all gas VWs starts tommorow)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I guess that means I get to swap back to the stock dp. :suicide:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
That one is even more insane than the cam follower problem.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Dick Trauma posted:

Next up: "VWs found to actually be Chryslers!"

Good God. What have you done.

Seriously though, VAG has deep pockets, but with how much is coming to light with the Diesel scandal, small diesel stop sale, more diesel scandal affected cars,which now potentially includes the Gasoline models, and on top of all that, a stop sale on pretty much all small engine VW's, how much more damage can they take and what do you guys think the future of VW is going to look like financially?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Well it has ruined their big 2018 plan and is going to result in a great deal of short term cost cutting but the company will survive.

It'll certainly hasten their exit from the diesel market which they've been stubbornly trying to hold onto as it gets less and less viable.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I posted speculation earlier in the thread but I still think Porsche will cut VW loose if it gets real bad.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Guess I got in just under the wire.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

Better buy your car today
http://m.imgur.com/UfWPUrk
(Stop sale in basically all gas VWs starts tommorow)

I rushed over to the VW website to see if the 2.0l 8v engine was affected and was floored to find the 1.4l TSI already in the US replacing it? When did they sneak that engine in?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I still want to know: Who else is doing it?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

I still want to know: Who else is doing it?

You seem really upset by the possibility that VW was just a lovely company instead of some global industry wide anti-VW conspiracy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Throatwarbler posted:

You seem really upset by the possibility that VW was just a lovely company instead of some global industry wide anti-VW conspiracy.

This is hilarious coming from you because I've yelled at you in the A/T thread for recommending VWs (and Chryslers).

It's me. I'm a part of the anti-VW conspiracy.

But seriously, the only other manufacturers that have passenger car diesel models in the States is BMW and Mercedes, and I know that BMW's X5 blows clean. It's shameful considering that I would be all over a Mazda6 Skyactiv-D, but for ~~~some mysterious reason~~~ Mazda engineers couldn't figure out how to blow clean without urea injection.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

That sounds good until you consider that pretty much every other maker was up 10%+

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Holy poo poo dude, calm down. That is not what I was insinuating.

I find it hard to believe that they were the only company doing it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CommieGIR posted:

Holy poo poo dude, calm down. That is not what I was insinuating.

I find it hard to believe that they were the only company doing it.

Given how claimed mpg has risen much higher than real-world data suggests people are getting in recent times, I am sure we are going to find some other mfrs are up to similar things. Maybe not as blatant, but they'll be something even if it is just a flat spot at a certain rpm

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

I posted speculation earlier in the thread but I still think Porsche will cut VW loose if it gets real bad.

Why do you keep saying things like this. VW owns Porsche, not the other way around.

Eh I was close enough. They're a partnership with Porsche owning 50.76% of VW. So there's not any "cutting loose" going to happen.

Also, this just reinforces my reasoning for not modding my car :)

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 4, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spog posted:

Given how claimed mpg has risen much higher than real-world data suggests people are getting in recent times, I am sure we are going to find some other mfrs are up to similar things. Maybe not as blatant, but they'll be something even if it is just a flat spot at a certain rpm

I'm not expecting all of them to be doing it, but it seems extremely unlikely that they were alone in this. I can't wait to see what the EPA/CARB studies show, since they've announced they are going to do similar studies across all manufacturers now.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'm not saying other manufacturers aren't fudging the numbers, but I think the point is that every time more evidence comes out that VW has stepped on their dick you say you can't wait to see other manufacturers get caught, too. It's likely that other manufacturers are doing it, but it seems unlikely they're using the "defeat device" which is the whole issue in this ordeal.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Why do you keep saying things like this. VW owns Porsche, not the other way around.

Eh I was close enough. They're a partnership with Porsche owning 50.76% of VW. So there's not any "cutting loose" going to happen.

Also, this just reinforces my reasoning for not modding my car :)

Porsche SE can do whatever they want with VAG. They have a controlling share and all Porsche SE voting shares are essentially owned by two families. If they wanted to dismantle it into an "Old GM" "New GM" style split they could do so.

I know it sounds insane but when you see numbers like 80-90 billion to fix things being bandied around it starts looking a lot more realistic.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm not saying other manufacturers aren't fudging the numbers, but I think the point is that every time more evidence comes out that VW has stepped on their dick you say you can't wait to see other manufacturers get caught, too. It's likely that other manufacturers are doing it, but it seems unlikely they're using the "defeat device" which is the whole issue in this ordeal.

I think that the description of the issue as a 'defeat device' has been unhelpful as it is not a device (i.e. a separate component), but it is a piece of very specific programming.

We then drift towards a discussion on semantics as to what defines such a 'device' - e.g. if the mapping has a flat spot at the exact rpm that testing takes place, is that a device? If the ECU reduces power when the bonnet is open, or when the car is in neutral, are they 'defeat devices' or 'over-heating protection' and 'low power standby mode'?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

spog posted:

I think that the description of the issue as a 'defeat device' has been unhelpful as it is not a device (i.e. a separate component), but it is a piece of very specific programming.

We then drift towards a discussion on semantics as to what defines such a 'device' - e.g. if the mapping has a flat spot at the exact rpm that testing takes place, is that a device? If the ECU reduces power when the bonnet is open, or when the car is in neutral, are they 'defeat devices' or 'over-heating protection' and 'low power standby mode'?

Ultimately it doesn't matter - so far VW are the only ones that have been caught. The EPA calls it a defeat device, so that's the verbage I will use. Obviously other manufacturers could be doing this too, but the point is that every time more evidence comes out that VW did really dumb poo poo, CommieGIR goes "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER MANUFACTURERS" which makes it seem like he is saying they shouldn't be picking on poor 'ole VW.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lightbulb Out posted:

Ultimately it doesn't matter - so far VW are the only ones that have been caught. The EPA calls it a defeat device, so that's the verbage I will use. Obviously other manufacturers could be doing this too, but the point is that every time more evidence comes out that VW did really dumb poo poo, CommieGIR goes "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER MANUFACTURERS" which makes it seem like he is saying they shouldn't be picking on poor 'ole VW.

Actually, they did really smart poo poo, but got greedy and didn't think they would get caught. Overconfidence is a bitch sometimes.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Here's my 2009 gti oil pan. New motor going in. Ran me $1500 for the used motor with 49k miles and I bought a used turbo with 12k miles to go with it. Hoping total cost with labor is under $3000.

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 5, 2015

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

veedubfreak posted:

Actually, they did really smart poo poo, but got greedy and didn't think they would get caught. Overconfidence is a bitch sometimes.

I think that 100% qualifies as "doing dumb poo poo".

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 4, 2015

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Anyone have any opinion on the 2016 Golf Sportwagen TSI S?

This whole scamming the entire planet thing seems to have made VWs pretty cheap. I test drove one yesterday and was really impressed, but I've also never bought a new car so who knows.

Would $21,000 be a good price on this? Am I in the completely wrong thread for this sort of thing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

Pretty much. Bosch was very clear that the code used for the test ECUs was NEVER to be implemented on a production vehicle.

Still waiting to find out whose actual decision it was to do that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Well it's dumb poo poo done in a very sophisticated way.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So is it true? The only VW you can buy today (in the USA) is a V6 Passat because there is a stop sale on everything else?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Having any sort of business plan punctuated with "Don't get caught" is the definition of "doing dumb poo poo". It's an international auto manufacturer, not a Scooby Doo villain of the week.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

Having any sort of business plan punctuated with "Don't get caught" is the definition of "doing dumb poo poo". It's an international auto manufacturer, not a Scooby Doo villain of the week.

Current business philosophy is what will work for next quarter and what can we do for the stock holders, not "hey lets make some decent poo poo that will sustain us for the next 5-10 years"

Either way, I don't think it was necessarily top management, dumb poo poo is usually caused by middle management. The top level says "Hey we need to sell X widgets at this price" Middle management says "Hey low level people, make it happen" Low level folks say "Yeah right, it can't happen" back to middle managers. Middle managers - concerned about their jobs say "gently caress you, figure it out"

But hey - VW essentially killed diesel cars, so :bravo:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
There is already a list out for which VINS are affected by the cam issue. Doesn't appear to be anything made in Germany, so yay, the R is unaffected as far as I can tell.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But hey - VW essentially killed diesel cars, so :bravo:

Diesel cars were already dead.

The difference with VW is that they didn't realise it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Diesel cars were already dead.

The difference with VW is that they didn't realise it.

We get it, you hate diesels. Shut up now.

Because they were actually doing some pretty amazing poo poo with diesel motors, so frankly you are just being cranky.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You'd think at some point the government board members would say, "This is what you're going to do if you want any chance of us bailing you out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Because they were actually doing some pretty amazing poo poo with diesel motors, so frankly you are just being cranky.

Doesn't change the fact that diesels in small cars are dead - just look at what is happening in Europe now