Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

I'm basing this on absolutely no unique insight or information, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't hark back to some fictional Tory historical utopia where people left their doors unlocked in the charming village of Little Smugdon. When men were men, we all had a Blitz spirit and people looked after each other. Trying to turn the clock back to a simpler Britain.

Part of me wonders if that's not partly the cause of urban crime reduction or something.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

electoral wards are small enough and change often enough i can see voting data not being released for them. somebody probably can and should prove me wrong though

I wonder if its even counted by ward. I can't imagine it would be.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Does that include GP offices or is it mostly just major hospitals? I imagine there aren't many juniors at a local surgery.

GP trainees are junior doctors, but they don't spend all their time in GP surgeries, so you probably won't see a vast number of strikers at surgeries unless the strikes organise themselves to put presences in as many places as possible, which would be sensible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

GP trainees are junior doctors, but they don't spend all their time in GP surgeries, so you probably won't see a vast number of strikers at surgeries unless the strikes organise themselves to put presences in as many places as possible, which would be sensible.

Well if I see them at ours I shall make them some sandwiches.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

serious gaylord posted:

I would be very interested to see turnout for the different voting areas within the borough, I imagine it would show a distinct lack of turnout for the poorer areas but im not sure anything like that exists.

You could be able to find local election results by ward somewhere, although some local governments are terrible about making that stuff easy to find. In terms of general elections its impossible to tell how any area of a constituency voted: because of the way that they count the ballots - they verify that they have the right number of votes from every polling station and then mix all the votes together so no one knows where any particular vote comes from. I'm pretty sure that we're the only country that does this; most other countries have vote breakdowns by polling stations available somewhere

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Well if I see them at ours I shall make them some sandwiches.

I'm absolutely certain that would make you immensely popular.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

serious gaylord posted:

I wonder if its even counted by ward. I can't imagine it would be.

ward data is generally rare because they're really small so stuff gets suppressed so people can't be identified and they change every year so nobody can be bothered

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wow, what a tossbag.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

IceAgeComing posted:

I'm pretty sure that we're the only country that does this; most other countries have vote breakdowns by polling stations available somewhere

America certainly does, it's why it's so obvious that LBJ ballot stuffed his way into the senate (having previously failed to do it against Pappy O'Daniel)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He'd rather try to solve the Troubles in Ireland than sing a royal (not national) anthem directed at a family from the House of Wettin? loving traitor.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Absolute Zeroes posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34715929

OH please Just Kill ME NOW!!! It's bad enough we have to put up with the speaker being our MP.. now this...

Ironically, actual Buckingham Library is currently being considered for privatization too :ssh:

It's what she would've wanted

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

You could be able to find local election results by ward somewhere, although some local governments are terrible about making that stuff easy to find. In terms of general elections its impossible to tell how any area of a constituency voted: because of the way that they count the ballots - they verify that they have the right number of votes from every polling station and then mix all the votes together so no one knows where any particular vote comes from. I'm pretty sure that we're the only country that does this; most other countries have vote breakdowns by polling stations available somewhere

It seems like it would be a useful function, though I guess it makes gerrymandering at least a little more difficult without being able to ascertain which districts have duff turnouts and which have strong ones?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Good to hear good stories about the NHS. I don't know if I'm unlucky but I've not really had many good experiences, the people working there are great, know what they're doing, but as soon as anything needs to be done that I'm not present for, there's a fuckup, or some ridiculously archaic system to negotiate (my local GP uses an automated prescription system; a company that provides me with medical devices also uses an automated dispensing system; the two communication with each other by post. Madness).

I was meant to have some moderate surgery a couple of months ago. After getting ready and being almost ready to go through, I was discussing the situation with my doctor, and we looked at the results of a sample I'd given a couple of weeks beforehand. The sample had come back as positive for bacterial infection, but at no point had anything been flagged to alert the consultant or myself that I currently had a ton of bacteria in my system, or to get me some antibiotics. So we decided to cancel the operation- I'm not going to risk any chance of septicaemia, and I didn't need to see Seratonin's amazing pictures to make that decision. Four doctors (including myself) and the theatre had half a day wasted each, fantastic.

Now my operation is coming up in a couple of weeks. I had an appointment with the consultant a week or so ago, delayed by over an hour, but that's absolutely standard. He didn't know what it was I'd turned up to the appointment for. Luckily I suggested we use the time to do some useful stuff like signing the consent form and getting another sample and this time getting the lab to actually inform us of the results. So, for the last week I've been calling up to try and get the results... and finally found out that the sample I gave doesn't actually exist on their system. What a waste of time, again. Luckily I can at least speak to my consultant's secretary if I manage to pick the correct 10 minute period of one of the three days she works, maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day and we will get somewhere. It's just an absolute disaster any time that the process involves communication. Thankfully I am confident in the abilities of the consultant and his staff when he finally gets me in the operating room!

--------------
As an aside, I like this bit of the BBC right now:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Prince John posted:

Sending best wishes for the recovery!

I'm basing this on absolutely no unique insight or information, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't hark back to some fictional Tory historical utopia where people left their doors unlocked in the charming village of Little Smugdon. When men were men, we all had a Blitz spirit and people looked after each other. Trying to turn the clock back to a simpler Britain.

I leave my front door unlocked all the time. I've also left my car keys hanging in the lock on the car door with my wallet on the front seat more times than I care to admit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Squalitude posted:

(my local GP uses an automated prescription system; a company that provides me with medical devices also uses an automated dispensing system; the two communication with each other by post. Madness).
If only they had some good secure email standards that weren't about to be banned over short-sighted bullshit.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

It's not very charitable, but I wish the relatives would just try and move on with their lives a bit. Now there's a documentary with lots more interviews with some of the families, with no ability of the other party to defend themselves without prejudicing himself.

quote:

"I didn't really want to be in the same room as him but then I also wanted to hear what he had to say."
Her sister, Robyn, said: "It was one of the most harrowing days of our lives. I mean, having to sit there and listen to him continually say, 'I don't wish to answer that. I don't wish to answer that. I don't wish to answer that'."
Jackie Morton's son, Adam Russell, said: "We kind of hoped that he would speak, to just give his side of events, basically. Because he was the key piece of evidence to let us know what had happened to our loved ones and get a first-hand account of what really happened that day.
"It was heartbreaking for everybody that was involved, all the families that were there. It was a really hard day for us all."

He's not going to be able to give a first hand account of anything because he was unconscious. And if you hadn't made noises about private prosecutions, then you could have got all the answers you wanted on that day.

I hate this "JUSTICE...raaaargh" phenomenon that seems to be infringing on the court system so much these days, swivelled so much towards the feelings of victims and families that the original meaning of the word seems like an afterthought.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Squalitude posted:

Good to hear good stories about the NHS. I don't know if I'm unlucky but I've not really had many good experiences, the people working there are great, know what they're doing, but as soon as anything needs to be done that I'm not present for, there's a fuckup, or some ridiculously archaic system to negotiate (my local GP uses an automated prescription system; a company that provides me with medical devices also uses an automated dispensing system; the two communication with each other by post. Madness).

I was meant to have some moderate surgery a couple of months ago. After getting ready and being almost ready to go through, I was discussing the situation with my doctor, and we looked at the results of a sample I'd given a couple of weeks beforehand. The sample had come back as positive for bacterial infection, but at no point had anything been flagged to alert the consultant or myself that I currently had a ton of bacteria in my system, or to get me some antibiotics. So we decided to cancel the operation- I'm not going to risk any chance of septicaemia, and I didn't need to see Seratonin's amazing pictures to make that decision. Four doctors (including myself) and the theatre had half a day wasted each, fantastic.

Now my operation is coming up in a couple of weeks. I had an appointment with the consultant a week or so ago, delayed by over an hour, but that's absolutely standard. He didn't know what it was I'd turned up to the appointment for. Luckily I suggested we use the time to do some useful stuff like signing the consent form and getting another sample and this time getting the lab to actually inform us of the results. So, for the last week I've been calling up to try and get the results... and finally found out that the sample I gave doesn't actually exist on their system. What a waste of time, again. Luckily I can at least speak to my consultant's secretary if I manage to pick the correct 10 minute period of one of the three days she works, maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day and we will get somewhere. It's just an absolute disaster any time that the process involves communication. Thankfully I am confident in the abilities of the consultant and his staff when he finally gets me in the operating room!

--------------
As an aside, I like this bit of the BBC right now:

Some of this might be screwup, but a lot of it (particularly lovely archaic systems) is funding.

I wouldn't argue that everyone's experience of the NHS is good, not by a long chalk. But it is AMAZING as a system considering the mountain it has to climb at the moment, and it's criminal that they're systematically dismantling it for ideological reasons at the cost of... basically everyone who isn't them.

My recent experiences have been excellent. I got a GP appointment within two days to check out some weird things on my back (largely prompted by Gonzo's melanoma story) which turned out to be nothing, I was in and out within two minutes. And before that I stabbed my hand with a chisel on Easter sunday, and had a fairly long, dull wait in minor injuries, but otherwise excellent service.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Squalitude posted:

Good to hear good stories about the NHS.

Statistically there's always going to be someone who gets the random fuckups repeatedly, thankfully it isn't life threatening (as far as I know). It's important to bear in mind that the private healthcare systems in this country are more likely to gently caress up during the operation; one of the main reason why private health care is profitable at all is that when something goes wrong they can cart the poor buggers off to the local NHS A&E to be treated, thus making the public foot the bill for their fuckup.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Statistically there's always going to be someone who gets the random fuckups repeatedly, thankfully it isn't life threatening (as far as I know). It's important to bear in mind that the private healthcare systems in this country are more likely to gently caress up during the operation; one of the main reason why private health care is profitable at all is that when something goes wrong they can cart the poor buggers off to the local NHS A&E to be treated, thus making the public foot the bill for their fuckup.

Basically the difference between private and NHS healthcare in the UK is shorter waiting times for stuff that could afford to wait, and carpeting in the hospitals. Everything else is so much window dressing.

Interesting studies in the US have demonstrated that patient satisfaction is inversely correlated with good outcomes. So the happier people are with their doctors the worse treatment they are actually getting. At least that's what I tell my angry patients.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres also a study I read but for the life of me can't find now, that found that when patients believed they were paying for the care, they were more likely to rate it higher than if it was free.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Prince John posted:

I hate this "JUSTICE...raaaargh" phenomenon that seems to be infringing on the court system so much these days, swivelled so much towards the feelings of victims and families that the original meaning of the word seems like an afterthought.

I agree, Justice being involved with the court system does seem like a rather unfortunate thing. With the last British prisoner out of Gitmo it's painting a rather distressing trend of justice in the justice system.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

serious gaylord posted:

Theres also a study I read but for the life of me can't find now, that found that when patients believed they were paying for the care, they were more likely to rate it higher than if it was free.

This is true of almost any product and while it doesn't matter with wine, healthcare has real social implications for its measurable qualities and so they should take priority.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ddraig posted:

I agree, Justice being involved with the court system does seem like a rather unfortunate thing. With the last British prisoner out of Gitmo it's painting a rather distressing trend of justice in the justice system.

That's not what he meant with that post and you know it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Indeed, what I like to emphasise is that these fuckups (usually involving middlemen or what should be really simple logistics and communication) don't mean that I think "gently caress the NHS, cut its public funding and Let The Free Market Decide!", but rather, that if would be so super amazing and shiny if it could just get the support it needs.

I've also heard horror stories of mishaps during private operations and needing to call in the NHS to fix their problems. Actually doing the work, as I say, is usually fantastic.

Guavanaut posted:

If only they had some good secure email standards that weren't about to be banned over short-sighted bullshit.

It doesn't need to be complicated or involve any of this. Both these places have fax machines. They have computers (both systems revolve around them). Yet thy still choose to do all their communication with each other by post. If there's a fuckup (and, shockingly, it happens), it's usually a week before I realise there's something wrong and another week to fix it. Or they could solve the entire thing with a 5 minute conversation by email/fax/phonecall.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Squalitude posted:

It doesn't need to be complicated or involve any of this. Both these places have fax machines. They have computers (both systems revolve around them). Yet thy still choose to do all their communication with each other by post. If there's a fuckup (and, shockingly, it happens), it's usually a week before I realise there's something wrong and another week to fix it. Or they could solve the entire thing with a 5 minute conversation by email/fax/phonecall.
There are standards that have to be adhered to when communicating medical data though, which standard email doesn't meet.

Fax probably does though even though it has no security whatsoever, it's classed as secure for large financial authorizations when email isn't, probably because it's old. (A while back when fax was newer it used to be that fax wasn't and telex was.)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Is Max Clifford out already?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jabby posted:

Basically the difference between private and NHS healthcare in the UK is shorter waiting times for stuff that could afford to wait, and carpeting in the hospitals. Everything else is so much window dressing.

Private surgery has worse outcomes than NHS surgery (lack of practice for edge cases, things like that). So you're paying money to have worse treatment faster.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

There are standards that have to be adhered to when communicating medical data though, which standard email doesn't meet.

The NHS has its own secure email system that is cleared for transmitting medical information.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That doesn't work when you're communicating outside the NHS though. Although I have known consultants within the NHS use post for communicating with GPs and other departments and I've no idea what's up with that.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

J_RBG posted:

Yeah actually gently caress the Mail, sorry

I wonder what the black lady who always buys the Mail at work will reckon of that. She honestly truly bemuses me. I think it's some sort of aspirational middle class thing, trying to be more accepted by the white majority aswell maybe. Perhaps she just likes the the Mail, who knows?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Anyone gonna be at the National demo for free education? Currently on a bus with 50 comrades from Aberdeen and Edinburgh heading to London for it, if you spot the Aberdeen contingent come say hi.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

endlessmonotony posted:

The first statement is true if you can trust the people to effectively decide what is and isn't an emergency (you can't) or your emergency system is so well staffed the non-emergency cases don't slow anything down (which would be nice, but it would also murder the efficiency). Otherwise, a fee small enough to not substantially affect care decisions but large enough to encourage people to wait for a GP visit is an efficiency bonus.

Do you have anything to back this up? Imposing a financial penalty on people for going to the doctor will initially keep patients out of the system, sure, but it also means that sick people (especially those in poverty) don't get treated at the preventative stage. And then you wind up with small issues turning into major medical problems that hospitals and A&E departments have to deal with

Part of the strength of the NHS is that it's an open system dedicated to keeping the population as healthy as possible, without access barriers that impede that goal - by pushing people out of the system until their problems become more expensive to treat, or by promoting the spread of contagious illnesses by discouraging victims from seeking treatment.

It's not as simple as "fewer patients = more efficiency" even though that's the common sense justification behind a lot of the damaging reforms that are going through ('common sense' should be an immediate red flag for 'I have no knowledge or evidence to back this up')

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
from the pics thread:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Prince John posted:

It's not very charitable, but I wish the relatives would just try and move on with their lives a bit. Now there's a documentary with lots more interviews with some of the families, with no ability of the other party to defend themselves without prejudicing himself.

He's not going to be able to give a first hand account of anything because he was unconscious. And if you hadn't made noises about private prosecutions, then you could have got all the answers you wanted on that day.

Considering that he covered up his medical history of fainting, then got a job as a lorry driver and fainted and killed 6 people, you can kind of understand the relatives of the victims being unhappy and wanting answers. I mean, if somebody killed a relative of mine in these sort of circumstances, I'd want a bit more from the justice system than a: "Aah well, these things happen: lets learn from it and move on."

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Anyone gonna be at the National demo for free education? Currently on a bus with 50 comrades from Aberdeen and Edinburgh heading to London for it, if you spot the Aberdeen contingent come say hi.

Did you remember your packed lunch ?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
NHS story: my and my wife ended up going to a Newport A & E whilst on a weekend break. Except it felt more like we'd gone to (insert third world country struggling to emulate real health care). We were there for 6 hours. People were coming in off the street to do drugs in toilets. The place was like a shed. The reception desk was in the waiting room, so we got to hear why everyone was there.

Someone was supposed to call through to another department to get someone to see us, but they forgot. After they did, that department then couldn't get hold of anyone at A&E to tell us they were ready to see us. No one did in the end, because we'd been there 6 hours at this point and just gave up. People are going to die in that place.

All the time I'm thinking 'why does it have to be this way'? One of the wealthiest nations on Earth, ladies and gentlemen, but we have third world A&E departments because...well I don't really know.

My wife had a friend who's lived in and out of Wales over the years, and she said many just don't bother to see their GP or A&E, because they're so useless.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

EvilGenius posted:

People were coming in off the street to do drugs in toilets. The place was like a shed. The reception desk was in the waiting room, so we got to hear why everyone was there.
This isn't so much an NHS thing as a Newport thing.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the nhs really needs some sort of underlying universal IT system connecting all GPs and hospitals but doing this is a very big job and every time the government tries they hire one of the big contractors, pay them millions and never get anything out of it because the contracts are insanely favourable, then use the expense as an excuse to make further cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Phoon posted:

the nhs really needs some sort of underlying universal IT system connecting all GPs and hospitals but doing this is a very big job and every time the government tries they hire one of the big contractors, pay them millions and never get anything out of it because the contracts are insanely favourable, then use the expense as an excuse to make further cuts.

So many problems with infrastructure could be fixed with in-house IT system development. I'd also like to see massive investment in NHS treatment research, where we research the drugs and tools we need rather than hoping a company will do it. Unfortunately that'd mean GROWING THE STATE, which is bad since it draws money away from the holy Private Sector.

• Locked thread