Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Kai Tave posted:

For the record, this is precisely why I voted for the Constructed.

I didn't even make that connection! This game is now even better!

Also, I didn't vote for the hatchling, but voted for the dragon. The hatching just seemed to generic to really hang interesting mechanics on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I apologize if this has been answered, but are there rough versions of the rules available for the public, or is it the current preview for the kickstarter backers only?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
For the moment the rules are backers only, my apologies.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Understandable, thanks for letting me know

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I kinda wish there was a halfway point between Patreon and Kickstarter for things like this. Like a development-long fundraiser. I've had at least 10 people mention wanting to back this project after only finding it after it was finished. Basically, I'd want a Kickstarter without an end date - people buy a tier, the money is processed immediately, and then they immediately get access to the current rules draft, and the project would just stay open until the project was fulfilled. That'd be nice.

Anyway, production process nitpicking aside, I do love writing games. It lets me do fun things like my bonus playbook Destiny outlines here:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If you've got a PayPal, just tell people they can put money in that, and mention on the ks if it pushes anything along.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have a question: this Giant has been mentioned a couple of times, and it seems to be playable based on what Astro Ambulance said. Where can I find it?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have a question: this Giant has been mentioned a couple of times, and it seems to be playable based on what Astro Ambulance said. Where can I find it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/fellowship-a-tabletop-adventure-game/posts/1360580

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gnome7 posted:

I kinda wish there was a halfway point between Patreon and Kickstarter for things like this. Like a development-long fundraiser. I've had at least 10 people mention wanting to back this project after only finding it after it was finished. Basically, I'd want a Kickstarter without an end date - people buy a tier, the money is processed immediately, and then they immediately get access to the current rules draft, and the project would just stay open until the project was fulfilled. That'd be nice.

Anyway, production process nitpicking aside, I do love writing games. It lets me do fun things like my bonus playbook Destiny outlines here:

DTRPG should figure out a preorder/ransom system for this and just run it there for established authors. A central place to kind of P500 supplements would be great for the industry in scenarios where Kickstarter, with its limited funding window and streatch goals and blahblah isn't appropriate. In fact I think I'ma write to them and suggest it.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Would you say that the advice from the DM's guide in the Dungeon World thread works with this game? I discovered this thread/game randomly and have been crawling backwards through the DW thread after realizing they're based on the same system, so I'm curious if you think there are any major differences in advice between games.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Is there anything in the system that would need specific and particular changing in terms of mechanics (not fluff) to run a space opera in this?

It strikes me that the USS Enterprise crew could be a very good Fellowship, and the Borg a serviceable Overlord-concept.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The rules would work but you might have to muck with playbooks a lot.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
When's someone running another playtest? Covok canceled his due to player leak.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

When's someone running another playtest? Covok canceled his due to player leak.

Hey, I was a player in Covok's game and am actually considering starting up a new playtest. I'll get back to you if that ends up a thing.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Scrree posted:

Would you say that the advice from the DM's guide in the Dungeon World thread works with this game? I discovered this thread/game randomly and have been crawling backwards through the DW thread after realizing they're based on the same system, so I'm curious if you think there are any major differences in advice between games.

Most of that advice applies yes. There's a few differences but I feel like I did a pretty thorough job describing everything in the Overlord chapter, so give that a close reading. Of course, chapter 4 will be basically filled with advice but I haven't written it yet. If you feel like anything's missing on that front, let me know so I can squeeze it in to chapter 4.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Is there by chance going to be one of those script-like example play sessions in the final book? At least for me, it'd be a big help to see what is and not considered normal/acceptable for some of the moves, and how loose things normally get.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
I have some questions about companion stats!

So I get the basic idea of damaging a companion's stat in order to get a benefit related to the stat. But can only stats that say they can be damaged (e.g. Elven Archer's "Perfect Shot") be damaged like that, or is specifically calling them out as damageable there for the Overlord to use them as NPCs?

Do physiological abilities suggested by stats (e.g. from the Pegasus' "Flight") go away when those stats are damaged to provide a benefit, if they can be? Is the assumption that the Pegasus' wings were damaged, or that it can still fly but that flight can't be used to get a benefit, or whatever?

Do the passive benefits of certain companion stats (e.g. the Dwarven Defender's "Shield-Bearer") apply for the PCs as long as those stats are undamaged, or do they only apply for non-companion enemy NPCs?

If passive abilities are things that companions still get, what happens with stats with passive benefits that specifically target PCs and deal the rules for them (e.g. the Dwarven Berserker's "Blind Rage" dealing with the Grace stat, the Hunting Bird's "Go for the Eyes" dealing with Sense, etc.) when an NPC is recruited as a companion? Do the passive benefits then go away, or should they be adapted to work against NPCs?

I hope these questions make sense and aren't dumb and I'm not missing something obvious.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
My read is that the stuff in the Overlord's Toolbox is explicitly there to give more concise rules for you to work with when using those as opposing NPCs and that info is irrelevant to the fellowship unless those moves are being used against them. When it comes to the companions the fellowship is actually using, they're just words/phrases attached to tickboxes that you interpret as you will and spend to extend your potential in the fiction. There's basically no way any of them are 'passive' because that would skirt around the goal of spending limited resources.

If your pegasus has spent its 'Flight' tickbox, it's not going to be useful in the fiction until you can recover that. It still has wings and is probably still alive, depending on what's going on in your game, but it's tired or moody or injured, whatever makes sense. Maybe it's a mechanical horse that ran out of fuel, maybe it's enchanted and the magic forming its wings is weakened. It's not there to give your character a permanent 'can fly' tag, it's there to do something cool in a dramatic moment when the fellowship deems it necessary.

PBTA abstracts the MC/GM's stuff and they never roll dice, so you can assume anything that would call a stat wouldn't work on an NPC, and anything that elicits a roll would never be performed by the GM. Fellowship skirts this a little by giving the Overlord sorta stats, but that's specific to the Overlord figure and they still don't map to what the players use anyways.

Just like your pile of coins or address book full of names, companions are an expendable resource that let you do more cool things. It might be harder to visualize a person you aren't consuming/using as something you spend, but as long as you still have bonds with them they're still around.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 18, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Speaking of Bonds, when I create a Bond with an NPC, do I have to state in what way he is useful, like a Winged, or a description of your relationship with them, like with PCs?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of Bonds, when I create a Bond with an NPC, do I have to state in what way he is useful, like a Winged, or a description of your relationship with them, like with PCs?

There are several bonds with inanimate objects, and if you break it down to the rules the thing that really matters is numbers of bonds more so than the words you wrote about it, so the answer is probably 'whatever you want'. If it makes sense to you and you don't have a weird move preventing you from forming that bond like the Harbinger, I pretty well doubt anybody's going to gripe over how your magic broom is a five-time underground broom racing champion.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

gnome7 posted:

There's services like BackerKit, which allows you to keep taking pre-orders https://www.backerkit.com/preorders#showcase

I don't know much about the business side of it, cost or whatever, but I've backed projects that use it in the past. I think there are a couple of others but don't know if they all offer pre-order after the project or just pledge management stuff.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Is it me, or does the Squire move Apprentice do exactly the same thing as the common move The Bonds That Bind Us?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Not only that, but the Apprentice move is actually worse than the common move! Whoops. That's an oversight for sure. The Bonds That Bind Us was changed in this most recent draft, I'll be re-writing or replacing Apprentice for the next one.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Quick errata for The Squire:

I've also entirely removed their "you also get a Gear option from Your People" from their Gear, because they aren't anybody's people anymore so that doesn't make sense. And they don't really need it either - that option was mostly a stopgap because the Squire had some fairly boring Gear for a long time, but I don't think that's true anymore in the current draft and hasn't been true for a long while. I mean it isn't as exciting as the Dwarf or Orc gear, but the Squire also isn't a playbook about having stuff to succeed. It's what's in your heart that matters more to the Squire.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just popping in to say that this game looks awesome and confirm that there's no way for me to donate after missing the kickstarter.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

xian posted:

Just popping in to say that this game looks awesome and confirm that there's no way for me to donate after missing the kickstarter.

I'm pretty sure Gnome is always happy to take your money. I know he took mine when I made the grave error of not backing Inverse Word.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

xian posted:

I'm considering a few different options but right now no, there is no way to donate or get the materials late at this time. Sorry about that. Late backer stuff is a huge hassle that I am not equipped to deal with again.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's fine, figured I'd double check. Best of luck to you!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Guh, just had another dumb idea for a Fellowship reskin/hack and I really need to stop until the game's actually out.

(Appalachian Folklore Fellowship. The Overlord, of course, is "The Devil their Own Self" and you've got playbooks like the Blessed Fool, The Cunning-man/Conjure-woman, The Clever One, the...well, the Giant, because giants happen in Appalachian folklore, usually secret descendants of Goliath, and so on.)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

Guh, just had another dumb idea for a Fellowship reskin/hack and I really need to stop until the game's actually out.

(Appalachian Folklore Fellowship. The Overlord, of course, is "The Devil their Own Self" and you've got playbooks like the Blessed Fool, The Cunning-man/Conjure-woman, The Clever One, the...well, the Giant, because giants happen in Appalachian folklore, usually secret descendants of Goliath, and so on.)

Whaaat this is amazing. I think it would also work for Southern Gothic.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Not knowing much about the game (and whether this already exists in it, I don't think it does) would this concept make sense for this game?

The Rider. Cultural background of people that ride some sort of beastly thing (or maybe mechanical, whatever). References would be Dragonriders of Pern, Ghostwise Halflings (riding giant owls), Guy on a Buffalo, Uthgardt Barbs riding giant ravens, LOTR oliphant riders (maybe), nazgul and fell beasts, Dino-Riders, Diaclone. Mechanics include how the relationship between rider and beast works (telepathy, instinctual companionship, trained hand or verbal commands), probably something about what happens when a rider's beast dies (I'm thinking it affects The Rider in some lasting way, especially if it died by sacrificing itself). Also figure the beast has some abilities, like if it's a dragon-type thing, it flies and breathes fire. If it's something like a saber-toothed tiger, it's probably got vicious claws and is good at keeping prey pinned.

Just throwing it out there.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The idea is not bad, exactly, but most play books have options to get a mount, so an entire character dedicated to the subject is not really going to work.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, you'd need to make the mount something more than just a Companion.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

unseenlibrarian posted:

Get writing anyway, I wish to hear more and I have the capability to badger you!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

RSIxidor posted:

Not knowing much about the game (and whether this already exists in it, I don't think it does) would this concept make sense for this game?

The Rider. Cultural background of people that ride some sort of beastly thing (or maybe mechanical, whatever). References would be Dragonriders of Pern, Ghostwise Halflings (riding giant owls), Guy on a Buffalo, Uthgardt Barbs riding giant ravens, LOTR oliphant riders (maybe), nazgul and fell beasts, Dino-Riders, Diaclone. Mechanics include how the relationship between rider and beast works (telepathy, instinctual companionship, trained hand or verbal commands), probably something about what happens when a rider's beast dies (I'm thinking it affects The Rider in some lasting way, especially if it died by sacrificing itself). Also figure the beast has some abilities, like if it's a dragon-type thing, it flies and breathes fire. If it's something like a saber-toothed tiger, it's probably got vicious claws and is good at keeping prey pinned.

Just throwing it out there.

It needs some stuff that isn't just about the beast, like stuff about living a nomadic lifestyle, trading, etc to be different to give it more background stuff: it needs to draw from the people's culture and set up a role that fits with the other playbooks. It could really work well if it gets really fleshed out.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Less riders of Rohan and more Steppe Warlord :black101:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
My Rider is a glorious Shoulder Knight, carried over the tainted earth on the back of the miserable peasantry.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Maybe have a sixth stat that shows how 'in synch' the rider and mount are? And then a core move that is used with that. Third core move I'm thinking would be a 'pick a species, look, and some traits from a list' type deal for your mount. "What is a Rider?" options for nomads, people who live out on top of mountains where no one else can get, etc. Gear options for barding (armor), treats (vigor: Synch), fire breath (area, dangerous), a cool lance (melee, piercing).

yes these are shower thoughts what of it

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Thanks for the responses, guys. Can't wait to actually have the rules, then I'll see about figuring this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomhamster
Oct 24, 2013
Has anybody else thought about playing Fellowship 1-on-1? Yeah, I know, kind of defeats the purpose in a way, but I'd love to run this for a friend of mine (possibly tweaked a bit to suit our tastes). What do you think would need to be changed?