Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

That sucks man. I feel bad for anybody who works in a place where they lock down the computers like that.

Anyways, about to start a League game on my work computer for our weekly 'team building' activity.

If only your team played good games :(

*edit* bleh first post on new page. I don't really have any content except that I'm over worked, the sec people I'm dealing with right now (not from my company) are drooling idiots, and I just want to go home.

Also, I really wish I worked at a research center, some non-profit, or really anywhere else. The work I do is not very fulfilling, I mean sometimes it's fun, figuring out problems, but really all I'm doing is helping some retail chain sell more widgets, it leaves an empty space in me. I just use my job as a means to an end, but I really wish that stuff I did could actually be useful to society in a meaningful way rather than helping MegaCorp sell trash.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, playing a MOBA seems like it would do the opposite of team building.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

That sucks man. I feel bad for anybody who works in a place where they lock down the computers like that.

Anyways, about to start a League game on my work computer for our weekly 'team building' activity.

Man, the average age of my department has to be 40+, the idea of a videogame would probably frighten them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

No need for text message notifications so I havent messed with yet.
PagerDuty's probably the best way to go here, but cell carriers' email-to-SMS gateways or Twilio work fine. I can't imagine a situation where I want my notifications reliant on a teenage drug dealer's old burner phone.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Man, the average age of my department has to be 40+, the idea of a videogame would probably frighten them.

That would have been 17 when wolfenstein 3d came out. Set up a LAN with Quake 1 on it.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Somebody that is not me screwed up kind of big time and seems to have lost all of our disaster recovery testing done for the last quarter.

They didn't save it to any of our network shares so it was not backed up anywhere. I feel kind of bad for them, but at the same time what am I supposed to do to make it more clear to save literally everything to places that get backed up if you want to make very sure you don't lose it?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I feel like if you're working on disaster recovery anything you already know these things and these people probably just don't care about doing their jobs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I think that's a hilarious/awesome solution.
I actually like it. We have a lot of awful solutions here, but that's not one of them.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Anyone else notice that email preview text in Outlook 2013 is suddenly blue with some users? Seen it twice so far today with two completely unrelated businesses.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

crunk dork posted:

Anyone else notice that email preview text in Outlook 2013 is suddenly blue with some users? Seen it twice so far today with two completely unrelated businesses.

That happened to a user where I work, yeah. It was last Friday, I think?
'
It also changed the font of the preview to one that I have not ever seen used before, I'll have to check once I return to work tomorrow to see what exactly it was called.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
How prevalent would you guys say that having to work on-call is in the IT field? I realize that this is an amazingly general question that varies based on company and your specialty. I'm just trying to get an idea.

Basically I'd like to avoid ever having to be on-call again if possible; I did it for a year (one week a month) at my first lovely IT job and it sucked. But I'm not sure how feasible this is. I don't have to ever be on-call at my current job but I don't think I'll be here too much longer, either, and I don't want to avoid an otherwise great opportunity just because they have a rotation.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm considered on-call for utmost emergencies and only my boss and the CEO have my number. The CEO has never called me and I get a call from my boss maybe 2-3 times a year.

I tend to see it more in health care, MSPs, and lovely places where stuff breaks a lot. We spend on good infrastructure so it's rare when something happens over night. Like my boss always says, "no one is dying because that printer is offline all night, so it can wait".

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

I'm considered on-call for utmost emergencies and only my boss and the CEO have my number. The CEO has never called me and I get a call from my boss maybe 2-3 times a year.

I tend to see it more in health care, MSPs, and lovely places where stuff breaks a lot. We spend on good infrastructure so it's rare when something happens over night. Like my boss always says, "no one is dying because that printer is offline all night, so it can wait".

That's a good point; being on-call at a company that has its poo poo together is very different from being on-call at (like you say) an MSP or a place that doesn't have its act together. Certainly it's something I can try to get clarification on at an interview.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There are only three of us on the on call rotation, we go on a weekly cycle. I've been here 10 months and only been called once after hours. Third shift warehouse operations isn't exactly a high priority, go pick up a different scanner/wireless label printer and we'll get to it in the morning.

We do get after hours boss emails because he's a workaholic, but there's not an expectation to respond unless it's clearly an issue that can't wait until the morning.

Previous two places were awful, two jobs ago I was on call 24/7 for 3 months straight with the app development manager abusing it for new deploys after hours because he couldn't manage his poo poo.

If you're in IT infrastructure on call is just part of your career, the trick is asking the right questions in an interview to understand their expectations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
How terrible on call is dependent entirely on your boss and the specified on call service level expected. For our 24/7 clients we clearly specify what is and is not an emergency and ultimately I am the final arbiter before one of my guys gets sent out at 3am.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

CloFan posted:

On the notification front: what do you guys use? Right now we're using IP Sentry to ping certain IPs and send an email when they're down. We also have it sending as a text message if it's a high-importance outage. The annoying thing about that is, since it's just sending to [number]@mms.att.net, I end up with a seperate thread for each and every alert because the carrier treats messages coming through that address as a new sender each time.

I have this problem too :( My coworker is on Verizon and his come in one thread, mine come in a separate one for each thread. Texts are supposed to be "important" but we also get them in email and I check my email, so it just annoys me.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

devmd01 posted:

We do get after hours boss emails because he's a workaholic, but there's not an expectation to read work emails afterhours because issues that can't wait until the morning are communicated via phone.

This is how this should read, and how my users are instructed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We're only on call when a customer pre-arranges a change window with us.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
If your company or organization has services that require 24/7 availability then they will certainly have an on-call.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

We're only on call when a customer pre-arranges a change window with us.

Ditto. Consulting is pretty good.

J
Jun 10, 2001

crunk dork posted:

I had this happen to someone yesterday. I didn't really think much of it, figured it was just a run of the mill case of messing around with view settings.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

How prevalent would you guys say that having to work on-call is in the IT field? I realize that this is an amazingly general question that varies based on company and your specialty. I'm just trying to get an idea.

Basically I'd like to avoid ever having to be on-call again if possible; I did it for a year (one week a month) at my first lovely IT job and it sucked. But I'm not sure how feasible this is. I don't have to ever be on-call at my current job but I don't think I'll be here too much longer, either, and I don't want to avoid an otherwise great opportunity just because they have a rotation.

From what I have seen and experienced, the higher you climb/the more specialized you get, the more likely you are to be on call.

Wanna make the big bucks? Expect to be on call. Don't want to be on call? Don't expect to make a huge amount of money.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

J posted:

I had this happen to someone yesterday. I didn't really think much of it, figured it was just a run of the mill case of messing around with view settings.

That's what I thought too but I saw it twice today from users that aren't really known to dick around too much with settings, wonder what the hell MS did or if it was even planned.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

View settings in Outlook tend to change themselves for no discernible reason sometimes. Or maybe the user inadvertantly found a keyboard shortcut? Either way, it happens occasionally to us too

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Easiest test as to whether or not on call will be a thing with a job is this question. Will the organization care if the location that hosts the majority of the infrastructure is without power for a whole weekend?

If yes, then there's stuff that needs to run outside of business hours so it will find a way to break at some point. If no, congrats, you found a unicorn and hold tightly to that job if it pays well and isn't a complete poo poo show.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I think I have been undervaluing myself. I'm throwing out what I think are ridiculous numbers and being told "that's in line with the position" which to me indicates I'm still shooting low.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bigass Moth posted:

I think I have been undervaluing myself. I'm throwing out what I think are ridiculous numbers and being told "that's in line with the position" which to me indicates I'm still shooting low.

This happened to me with my current job. I wasn't actually ready to leave my old job, but still was willing to hear them out, so when they asked my about salary during the first interview, I threw out a number I felt was ridiculous. "Thats right in the window for the position"

Dammit. I figure they assume to negotiate me down, so after everything else, I get the "we need to have a final discussion of your pay rate" and I tell them I am not budging, thats my minimum.

I got a new job, it was just an offer I couldn't refuse.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

RFC2324 posted:

From what I have seen and experienced, the higher you climb/the more specialized you get, the more likely you are to be on call.

Wanna make the big bucks? Expect to be on call. Don't want to be on call? Don't expect to make a huge amount of money.

Nah, routine on call folks are generally going to be mid level admins. Senior folks with specialized, in-demand skills have enough leverage to ask that they not be awakened for all but the direst of emergencies.

And many very well paid IT people don't work in ops at all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

NippleFloss posted:

Nah, routine on call folks are generally going to be mid level admins. Senior folks with specialized, in-demand skills have enough leverage to ask that they not be awakened for all but the direst of emergencies.

And many very well paid IT people don't work in ops at all.

Devs aren't people :v:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

^e: He was referring to consultants

Yeah, the highest paid solutions architects at my company (>$200k/yr plus profit sharing) basically set their own schedules and typically don't have to support change windows unless numerous practices are involved. That's not to say that they don't work hard, it's just that a triple CCIE's time and skills are worth waaaaay more than mine.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

psydude posted:

^e: He was referring to consultants

Well, consultants and vendor SEs and account managers and project managers and business intelligence personnel and data scientists and technical management and all sorts of other people. There's a big wide world of IT outside of ops.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I work for an MSP where most people are on call twice a year. It is for a whole week each time and it comes with extra pay. There is bonus pay for holiday weeks and you can trade or buy and sell on call weeks. Having almost everyone share the on call rotation, and having a company that is just IT changes it from what on call is at a lot of smaller companies. We only provide emergency support after business hours.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Interviewer today asked me what happened if I went to my browser's address bar, typed "google.com", and hit enter.

Thanks, thread, for linking that github ages ago. Not that I went into nearly that much depth, but hey, it's always nice to sound like you know what you're doing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Richard Noggin posted:

This is how this should read, and how my users are instructed.

One of the guys I work with has turned off work emails on his phone. If he's not working, he's not reading work emails. I'm pretty good at not opening email when I'm at home or on weekends, but every now and then I get tempted and then sucked into whatever issue is going on. I think I'm going to adopt his policy.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I am on call 24/7, 365 days per year for escalations. I am on call for direct end user support 4 weeks out of the year (once per quarter). Other than saturday mornings during my 4 weeks, when we have branches open, I think I average about 2 calls per year. I can live with that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I am on-call 24/7/365, I'm a jr/midlevel windows sys admin. Realistically I've gotten called 3-5 times in the past year, and half of those times another person on my team ended up handling it because I was taking a dump/showering/whatever and missed the call, returned it 10-30 minutes later depending and someone else had handled it.

We have a small team, realistically 3 people with 2 more part-timers that generally only handle project work. I handle tier 3 application and retail location server support, and then our infrastructure of 40ish production servers and 80ish dev/QA servers. I do not get special pay other than overtime, the rest of my team is salary, so I fully expect to change at some point, likely my next review in a year or sometime between since I work 3-10 hours of overtime a week, hopefully my pay will be bumped (other than my usual raise) to compensate at least a bit for the lost income.

*edit for clarity*

MF_James fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 4, 2015

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
Notification and on call chat:

I'm the sys admin for a small college (meaning I research, implement and maintain all of our infrastructure). We're using ipMonitor to keep an eye on things, and it sends alerts for stuff that we want up all the time to email2phone.net when something happens off hours. There's four of us that get calls when this happens, and email2phone robo-reads the messages to us. It's mostly a wake up call so we know to take a look and decide if something can be fixed remotely, or if we need to go in now or just early the next morning. We keep our stuff under warranty, so we only end up getting calls a few times a year. Email2phone costs us $25/month most of the time (we end up paying for extra minutes of we get a few calls, but it's still cheap) and this system replaced the crappy msp we were using before that didn't notify us of problems till mid morning (usually after I'd already fixed them).

That's basically our on call. I will occasionally help someone out if they email off hours and sound like they're in a bind, but otherwise end user assistance is just during business hours.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

RFC2324 posted:

Devs aren't people :v:

I was about to respond with how devs are on call for prod issues too but then I realized that we take two-week shifts spread amongst the entire dev team and that is in fact much better than being on call 24/7/365 :smugbert:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

NippleFloss posted:

Seconding this. Past the mid-level roles, you get called less and less (other than DBAs). Escalated to, maybe, but that's rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
People here asked if I wanted the credentials to throw slack/work email on my phone. First question from me was "Sure, the company will pay for my phone plan yes?"