Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

I'll be very interested to see how the perception of Prometheus changes(or doesn't) in the next 10-20 years. Right now its just accepted in mainstream media to trash it and make sarcastic comments about it, or throw it out as a known example of a lovely sequel. I wonder if/when that worm will start to turn.

I don't really worry about this re: Prometheus but I often wonder which movies will be "rediscovered" in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Prometheus is already a popular movie. The internet is a tool for amplification, not for finding consensus.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I'll be very interested to see how the perception of Prometheus changes(or doesn't) in the next 10-20 years. Right now its just accepted in mainstream media to trash it and make sarcastic comments about it, or throw it out as a known example of a lovely sequel. I wonder if/when that worm will start to turn.

Only on Internet clickbait sites and in these kinds of comment forums. I don't think it really made any real positive or negative public consciousness hit at all - it was just a semi popular movie. 2 will be built off of The Martian and Alien's successes more than the first movie in marketing.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

Only on Internet clickbait sites

"15 REASONS WHY PROMETHEUS IS ACTUALLY A TERRIBLE MOVIE"

six months later

"15 REASONS WHY PROMETHEUS IS ACTUALLY A REALLY GOOD MOVIE"

repeat until all life on earth is extinct

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Clipperton posted:

"15 REASONS WHY PROMETHEUS IS ACTUALLY A TERRIBLE MOVIE"

six months later

"15 REASONS WHY PROMETHEUS IS ACTUALLY A REALLY GOOD MOVIE"

repeat until all life on earth is extinct

This is actually what I'm wondering about. Even these clickbait articles that I kill time with at work have certain rules.

For instance you don't ever find any articles, clickbait or no, that say anything negative about Blade Runner. Blade Runner is universally assumed to be A Good Movie. If a columnist wanted to claim that Blade Runner is overrated, an entire column would need to be written to explain that opinion, it wouldn't just be casually thrown out in the middle of an unrelated article.

Prometheus is used as a reference very casually as if everyone reading agrees by default that its poo poo and was massively disappointing. Any time sequels are discussed, or Ridley Scott, or recent sci-fi trends, inevitably there'll be a throwaway line about what a turd Prometheus was.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I liked Prometheus except for the parts of the movie I thought were bad.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I liked Prometheus except for the parts of the movie I thought were bad.

i liked it a lot but it is a very silly movie

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Name 1 good thing about Elysium

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zVxTeflon posted:

I cannot remember a single thing about Elysium other than Sigourney Weaver Jodie Foster was in it a bit. And that is ok.

(Genuinely had to check and correct that).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zVxTeflon posted:

https://youtu.be/l1HU4zo-rks?t=7

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Elysium had fantastic action and a fairly thin plot that existed almost entirely to hammer a message home. I'm pretty okay with that, honestly.

e: tbh I hope Blomkamp's project ends up getting made. I don't give half a gently caress about it retconning Alien 3 or whatever and it's really weird that anyone else does, it just looked like it had the makings of a really drat fun (and kinda bonkers) action movie.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 3, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Elysium was a sort of fun action movie but it was maddeningly stupid. The setting didn't make any sense. In Prometheus the complaints are mostly about plot or characters but the setting its self wasn't insulting.

The reason doing anything in space is ridiculous expensive is that it's ridiculously hard to get off the earth. It a massive rocket over 100m tall to get 3 men in a tinfoil lander to the moon. Yet in the movie we see we have the technology for a loving luxury car to achieve escape velocity and launch up into orbit as if it was a drive to the corner store. This would change everything. There wouldn't be one Elysium, there would be hundreds, thousands. All industry would shift into space, resources mined from asteroids for a fraction of the cost of resources on earth.

It was cool seeing an almost realistic space habitat but why the hell was it open, exposed to space?! The only reason for that design is to allow space-cars to just drive in and out to further the plot. So we have cheap easy access to space and all we're doing with it is making a single gated space community with insanely bad security? Those robots wouldn't be made on earth, they'd be made in space, by other robots.

Blumpkin could have still had his class-struggle story but in a setting that wasn't insultingly stupid. I don't know, show an earth quickly being abandoned by capital as space resources and manufacturing becoming so much cheaper. Have the main character's brutal robot factory shut down because the new orbital factory is finally ready. Address issues of how disposable labour is to capital, a liquid resource expected to constantly move to chase increasingly temporary jobs. Massive employment and poverty coupled with empty promises that space resources will eventually "trickle down" once the space industrial base is more established.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 3, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Steve2911 posted:

In fairness, Blomkamp's films are very rarely good and Prometheus was good.

Yeah except the complete opposite of this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
D is a passing grade.
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/prometheus

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What other things did you learn in school.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
While we shouldn't discount all the negative chatter you see on the web, we also shouldn't forget that Prometheus pulled in some positively astounding numbers for R-rated sci-fi horror and got mostly good reviews (even if most of them read like they were just happy a movie like it existed in the first place, but still).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Actually, we should discount negative opinions when they're like:

Baronjutter posted:

Elysium was a sort of fun action movie but it was maddeningly stupid. The setting didn't make any sense. In Prometheus the complaints are mostly about plot or characters but the setting its self wasn't insulting.

The reason doing anything in space is ridiculous expensive is that it's ridiculously hard to get off the earth. It a massive rocket over 100m tall to get 3 men in a tinfoil lander to the moon. Yet in the movie we see we have the technology for a loving luxury car to achieve escape velocity and launch up into orbit as if it was a drive to the corner store. This would change everything. There wouldn't be one Elysium, there would be hundreds, thousands. All industry would shift into space, resources mined from asteroids for a fraction of the cost of resources on earth.

It was cool seeing an almost realistic space habitat but why the hell was it open, exposed to space?! The only reason for that design is to allow space-cars to just drive in and out to further the plot. So we have cheap easy access to space and all we're doing with it is making a single gated space community with insanely bad security? Those robots wouldn't be made on earth, they'd be made in space, by other robots.

Blumpkin could have still had his class-struggle story but in a setting that wasn't insultingly stupid. I don't know, show an earth quickly being abandoned by capital as space resources and manufacturing becoming so much cheaper. Have the main character's brutal robot factory shut down because the new orbital factory is finally ready. Address issues of how disposable labour is to capital, a liquid resource expected to constantly move to chase increasingly temporary jobs. Massive employment and poverty coupled with empty promises that space resources will eventually "trickle down" once the space industrial base is more established.

By this same logic, Alien is maddeningly stupid because the Weyland corporation could simply use limitless space resources to build ten billon robot slaves and put Ripley out of a job before the film even begins.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Drinking the poor's blood is insulting. Instead of being so unrealistic, instead Dracula should just have been mean to the lower classes and also not been immortal.

Man, this allegorical fantasy story doesn't make sense when taken literally!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I know that you're funny because you made a sex joke out of a foreigner's name. That part was good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

So's film-making in general, you still have to abide by rules or you get a hosed up end result.

Only if you don't know why you're breaking the rules.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yes, that would be the original point I was making.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, that would be the original point I was making.

And what is the hosed up end result of ignoring the canon of other movies?

Like, the hosed up end result of ignoring the 180 degree rule is spatial relations becoming unclear, though that could achieve a surreal effect or make a point about moral perspective if broken intelligently. What's an example of something going wrong thanks to ignoring the canon of other movies?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Snowman_McK posted:

Like, the hosed up end result of ignoring the 180 degree rule is spatial relations becoming unclear, though that could achieve a surreal effect or make a point about moral perspective if broken intelligently. What's an example of something going wrong thanks to ignoring the canon of other movies?

Halloween III: Season of the Witch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNIqG9J2KU

Edit: Wait, I got the question wrong, I thought you were asking for great things coming out of ignoring canon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Snowman_McK posted:

Nerds get really mad and create entire essays on the internet detailing how mad they are?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Halloween III: Season of the Witch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNIqG9J2KU

Edit: Wait, I got the question wrong, I thought you were asking for great things coming out of ignoring canon.

Wasn't the original idea of the Halloween films that each would stand alone? Only the first would feature Michael Myers, then each would have their own villain/monster? Or am I getting mixed up?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Wasn't the original idea of the Halloween films that each would stand alone? Only the first would feature Michael Myers, then each would have their own villain/monster? Or am I getting mixed up?

Halloween I and II were about Myers, III tried to take the franchise into the anthology direction, but fans rebelled because it wasn't the same thing a third time.

It's good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Halloween I and II were about Myers, III tried to take the franchise into the anthology direction, but fans rebelled because it wasn't the same thing a third time.

It's good.

Ah. I was close.

I remember having a long talk with a guy who simply could not parse the fact that there's someone called "Trask" in X-Men 3, and someone else called "Dr. Bollivar Trask" in Days of Future Past. Like, he knew that the X3 character had just been a nod, and thus 'supposed to be the same character' and so could not let that go. That two people who have the same name who are clearly not the same person were both in the same film series ruined him because they took their name from the same comic book character.

And that's all I can imagine when people talk 'canon' with regards to sci fi films.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 4, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One of my friends just would not let go of that line about crossing the desert in Mad Max: Fury Road. I tried explaining to him how it didn't matter, but nope, movie ruined by a single line not meant to be taken that seriously.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd rather take a really, really, really bad Prometheus sequel that does something different, over Ripley and Hicks shooting Aliens again.

Prometheus is fine. It's got some problems, but it's got some good stuff. And it's got space jockies. I understand why people love it and hate it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think my only real problem with it is that Ridley Scott clearly misunderstood why people thought the Space Jockey was so awesome and mysterious. If they knew it was just a burly man in there I don't think anyone would have given a gently caress.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really don't mind that at all. Mainly because I've already become sick of those fuckin elephant things from reading all the dumb comics. I was surprised and that was nice.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

I think my only real problem with it is that Ridley Scott clearly misunderstood why people thought the Space Jockey was so awesome and mysterious. If they knew it was just a burly man in there I don't think anyone would have given a gently caress.

There's an irony here. A large, space jockey sized one.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

CelticPredator posted:

It's got some problems, but it's got some good stuff.
I never thought of it that way.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Snowman_McK posted:

One of the reasons I like Prometheus so much is that the people who are most upset by it are going through the exact same journey as Holloway, getting morose and drunk because he rushed down like a kid on Christmas morning and his presents weren't what he wanted. This is at least partially because the marketing for the film pulls the same trick as the marketing for the mission.

Marketing: Answers will be found

Reality: but you won't like them

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Everyone in the movie that expects clear answers dies a horrible, horrible death. The one that thought it was a stupid, ridiculous, one in a million idea dies in a stupid ridiculous, one in a million way. It owns.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowman_McK posted:

That was the idea of the TV series Heroes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Snowman_McK posted:

What is it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

One of the reasons I like Prometheus so much is that the people who are most upset by it are going through the exact same journey as Holloway, getting morose and drunk because he rushed down like a kid on Christmas morning and his presents weren't what he wanted. This is at least partially because the marketing for the film pulls the same trick as the marketing for the mission.

Marketing: Answers will be found

Reality: but you won't like them

This is exactly what happened to me, it really is quite a trick for a movie to pull off.

Re: Halloween - Carpenter really didn't have much interest in making a sequel at all, but they somehow($$$) convinced him to write and produce Halloween II. So when it came for Halloween III Carpenter really was not into the idea of making more movies with the Michael character, so attempting to transition into an anthology format seemed like the best way to go. I guess he thought the name Halloween was bankable on its own, when really it was Michael Myers that audiences wanted to see.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

What is it?

The irony is basically described in the post I quoted above. This big mystery of the space jockey captured our imaginations for such a long time, and we begged for answers. But when we finally were given the answers, they weren't satisfying. This is exactly what happens in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

This is exactly what happened to me, it really is quite a trick for a movie to pull off.

Re: Halloween - Carpenter really didn't have much interest in making a sequel at all, but they somehow($$$) convinced him to write and produce Halloween II. So when it came for Halloween III Carpenter really was not into the idea of making more movies with the Michael character, so attempting to transition into an anthology format seemed like the best way to go. I guess he thought the name Halloween was bankable on its own, when really it was Michael Myers that audiences wanted to see.

Didn't this kind of sort of happen with Hellraiser also? They started making Hellraiser 2 the day 1 was released, because of the surprise massive buzz, but did so still assuming Claire Higgin's Julia character would be the big deal recurring nemesis for the series. Except afterwards Miramax/Dimension took over and uh uhm HAHAHAHAA