Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

That may be why Constantine is a one-off on Arrow as well.

I believe they said Constantine is really down to Matt Ryan's schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Crow_Robot posted:

I started watching Flash a few days ago, on episode 12 or so now, and this show is straight up Smallville.

Not in a bad way, I loved Smallville (yes the whole way even witch Lana), and I love Flash, but Goddamn the metahumans are literally just meteor freaks.

They even had a Red Kryptonite episode!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I feel like Flash is going through what Arrow went through last season, trying to introduce a bunch of new characters and find there was into the plot. Hopefully it settles now that we have an idea of where everyone is at.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Crow_Robot posted:

this show is straight up Smallville.
Call me when they use their giant particle accelerator to make quantumNAWWWWSSSS... Or when they use it to stabilize plastic surgery.

Or how every end scene is Barry looking over the city in his scilab at work, with Iris walking in and talking about how Barry needs to TRUST her TRUStworthy trustness because TRUST is all we have CLaRk!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They're not Meteor Freaks, they're Bang Babies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah the Flash is basically just Smallville with a lot of the dumb sanded off, occasionally replaced with a different kind-of dumb.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

Call me when they use their giant particle accelerator to make quantumNAWWWWSSSS... Or when they use it to stabilize plastic surgery.

Or how every end scene is Barry looking over the city in his scilab at work, with Iris walking in and talking about how Barry needs to TRUST her TRUStworthy trustness because TRUST is all we have CLaRk!

I do think Cisco would hook a quantum accelerator to his car to win at illegal street drag races.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

My completely speculative theory is everything Eobard Thawne did in the present up to the point Eddie shot himself continues to exist in the timeline, because the timeline simply can't make sense without it. If Eobard Thawne didn't exist to meet Eddie Thawne, then it wouldn't make sense for Eddie to shoot himself. See? So all the things that Eobard "did" has to remain intact -- the characters remember it, the physical evidence remains -- but Eobard himself, his continued existence, becomes nonessential to the integrity of the timeline at the moment Eddie kills himself.

In other words: it's a paradox, but the universe chose the least self-destructive way -- the least impossible solution in the plethora of impossible solutions it could have come up with -- to solve that paradox.

Alternatively: it's time travel. Thinking about it too hard is a bad idea. :downs:

My pet theory is that the wormhole reappears after Eddie shoots himself precisely because of the paradox, to destroy the impossible timeline, and Flash/Firestorm fixing it broke reality and caused all this multiversal chaos. It's both the Crisis and Flashpoint! GOOD JOB BARRY.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, he has been pretty villainous all-round. Not only has he been murdering people out of convenience but he's been keeping people locked up purely because what they know is inconvenient. Which is kind of lovely really, no matter how you twist it. It's even their fault that the guy had powers in the first place. All they've really been doing so far this season is either cleaning up their own mess, helping their friends or stopping people who targeted Barry personally. The most heroic thing he's done all season is save Iris from some gun thugs, and even then he had to add some un-necessary grand-standing that could have killed her.

I hope a hero rises up to stop the tyrannical activities of Team Flash at some point, because Central City is becoming kind of a hosed up place to live.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Barry hosts a rave in the old coffee shop to save it. It is sponsored by stride gum.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

greatn posted:

I do think Cisco would hook a quantum accelerator to his car to win at illegal street drag races.

Or hook the treadmill up like tank treads and give Flash his own little pope bubble in the back so he can run in place while Cisco steers. So like a quantum Fred Flinstone car

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Barry hosts a rave in the old coffee shop to save it. It is sponsored by stride gum.

Getting triggered here. I didn't realize the amount of PTSD I have from 9 years (never watched 10) of that show.

(Someone pointed out to me that Arrow, Flash, and now Supergirl all share that "Hero has/is made to need a support team" aspect. Kinda sucks now that I notice it, and I'm pretty sure we can blame Smallville for this as well. I mean seriously, just as I'm typing this I think about how Felicity/Cisco/Caitlin are Chloe v2.0.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's totally believable any of them would need support teams except maybe Supergirl and the jury's still out on her.

Most heroes have support teams, even Batman has almost always has at the least Alfred and Gordon and usually a Robin and sometimes a Batgirl.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head with no support team at all is Spider-Man.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

greatn posted:

It's totally believable any of them would need support teams except maybe Supergirl and the jury's still out on her.

Most heroes have support teams, even Batman has almost always has at the least Alfred and Gordon and usually a Robin and sometimes a Batgirl.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head with no support team at all is Spider-Man.

I don't disagree, but I'm not talking in terms of realism or comic book realism, and there's something specific to the execution of it on all the shows I mentioned that makes it seem...formulaic, I guess is the best way I can put it.

I mean, I don't really think of Alfred, Gordon, whichever Robin, or Batgirl as "Team Batman", whereas with these shows it's Team Clark, Team Arrow, Team Flash.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 2, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Superman doesn't have a support team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He has at times.

The reason all these superhero shows have teams is because on a TV show the hero needs to talk to someone during action scenes. That and occasionally you need an audience surrogate.

Also Alfred extensively assists Batman in some versions.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 2, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

enraged_camel posted:

Superman doesn't have a support team.
Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen, though Lois does the heavy lifting in that. Also Batman sometimes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

lotus circle posted:

Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen, though Lois does the heavy lifting in that. Also Batman sometimes.

Also STAR Labs wasn't originally a Flash thing. It was a tech backup for Superman when he had to deal with poo poo that wasn't as easy to beat as "punch real hard."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah STAR Labs was originally 100% Superman's thing. I kinda hope they just have a whole different version of STAR Labs in this show, but that's probably unlikely; I'm guessing they're just gonna stick with the DEO for all their science needs.

Or they could use Cadmus, I suppose. GET SUPERBOY IN HERE.

(edit: frik I thought this was Supergirl's thread. I meant get a different STAR Labs in Supergirl's show)

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 2, 2015

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah STAR Labs was originally 100% Superman's thing. I kinda hope they just have a whole different version of STAR Labs in this show, but that's probably unlikely; I'm guessing they're just gonna stick with the DEO for all their science needs.

Star Labs is actually a franchise - two on every high street

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Longbaugh01 posted:

I don't disagree, but I'm not talking in terms of realism or comic book realism, and there's something specific to the execution of it on all the shows I mentioned that makes it seem...formulaic, I guess is the best way I can put it.

I mean, I don't really think of Alfred, Gordon, whichever Robin, or Batgirl as "Team Batman", whereas with these shows it's Team Clark, Team Arrow, Team Flash.

I think the difference might be that Batman tends to speak to and work with the various members of the Bat-family (which is pretty big when you start looking at Catwoman, Huntress and so on) in a very ad hoc manner. So if he's having trouble he might stew in the Bat-cave on his own for a while before Aflred drops by with dinner or Dick drops by with his own poo poo to work out and they confer for a while and work together if they think it'll be good but you don't have Alfred, Dick and Selina sitting around in the Bat-cave always there to give him counsel and assistance.

Barry does tend to confer with Joe, Henry and to a lesser extent now Iris are characters he does confer with on a more situational basis, which feels more organic I suppose.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

BrianWilly posted:

(edit: frik I thought this was Supergirl's thread. I meant get a different STAR Labs in Supergirl's show)

I like the idea of a JLU style Cadmus + Galatea/Powergirl

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

tsob posted:

I think the difference might be that Batman tends to speak to and work with the various members of the Bat-family (which is pretty big when you start looking at Catwoman, Huntress and so on) in a very ad hoc manner. So if he's having trouble he might stew in the Bat-cave on his own for a while before Aflred drops by with dinner or Dick drops by with his own poo poo to work out and they confer for a while and work together if they think it'll be good but you don't have Alfred, Dick and Selina sitting around in the Bat-cave always there to give him counsel and assistance.

Barry does tend to confer with Joe, Henry and to a lesser extent now Iris are characters he does confer with on a more situational basis, which feels more organic I suppose.

Yeah that's definitely a big difference, and I guess I just wish Guggenheim/Berlanti/Kreisberg would move away from the formula. Maybe too late for their 3 current shows, but perhaps with whatever they do next, after these 3 and LOT.

(Also, I could've sworn they had had something to do with Smallville at some point, but I guess not!)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

BrianWilly posted:

I can totally see Cisco working on other shows' tech in the background. "This? It's made to infuse the wearer in yellow sunlight even if they're miles underground. Why? Miners, I suppose. As long as they pay the rent and it's not a gun I don't ask questions."

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Bruceski posted:

I can totally see Cisco working on other shows' tech in the background. "This? It's made to infuse the wearer in yellow sunlight even if they're miles underground. Why? Miners, I suppose. As long as they pay the rent and it's not a gun I don't ask questions."

I'd watch a show about a backup team for hire, where some Cisco/Caitlyn/Felicity types help out a rotating cast of different heroes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
King Shark for those who missed it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh my god shoot first and ask questions never.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
A little itchy on the trigger finger there Joe

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Oh my god shoot first and ask questions never.

Kinda cool scene to show off Barry's powers.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Man they are really letting Tom have a field day here.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Joe you can't just hand out police guns wtf

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And that's what they get for just talking about this poo poo in public.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

"Coolio"

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
When Cisco knows you hosed up with a woman, you got problems.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's the worst hitting on someone I've seen on tv.

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.
My name is Cisco Ramone, an I'm the most awkward man alive...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dr Light is a woman on Earth 2?

Also :iceburn:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh my god, the read of that line.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Our Wells may have been evil but you're just a diiiiiick .

mastajake fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
"...you're just a diiiiiiiick" was great

• Locked thread