Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've been sucked up by my own city being hosed, what happened to Kentucky to get them bent over the austerity barrel?

Kentucky is the state that brought you Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

PupsOfWar posted:

Down to 17 states with Democratic governors. Several vulnerable seats next year.

Lmao death to the poor

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Petr posted:

There's no way the Democrats are a nationally-relevant party in 20 years.

Yeah there is. People like you and me need to step in and fix it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Petr posted:

lol and you say this because?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Petr posted:

America is going to continue to have a right and center-left party and it's almost certain they will continue calling themselves Republicans and Democrats.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jagchosis posted:

It's about 10,000 annually currently but the administration is upping that number slightly

Necroreplying: The target was 10,000 annually. The actual number that get through the two-year-long security screening, across the four years of the syrian conflict so far, has been just under 2,000 as of last month. Not per-year, but total.

(Ref also the grauniad, for a source with a slightly better pedigree.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petr posted:

The nation of Kentucky.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Trabisnikof posted:

lol and you say this because?

Because he's totally slaying us with his rapier wit and insight by replacing Republican with Democrat in his post.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Petr posted:

yeah they really screwed the pooch

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

America is going to continue to have a right and center-left party and it's almost certain they will continue calling themselves Republicans and Democrats.

That said, the official DGA statement on Conway's loss is embarrassing:

quote:

“He ran into the unexpected headwinds of Trump-mania, losing to an outsider candidate in the Year of the Outsider."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Taerkar posted:

Kentucky is the state that brought you Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell

And let's not forget the particular joy that was Jim Bunning! A racist senator elected for being a decent baseball player who literally went senile in office and tried to burn down everything while being forced out.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Taerkar posted:

Because he's totally slaying us with his rapier wit and insight by replacing Republican with Democrat in his post.

I think you're confusing despair with smugness.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

computer parts posted:

The nation of Kentucky.

PupsOfWar posted:

Down to 17 states with Democratic governors. Several vulnerable seats next year.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Petr posted:

Yeah, the baby boomers will all be worm food and millennials will be running for office swinging hard to the left ushering in a new golden age of American prosperity.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah there is. People like you and me need to step in and fix it.

Nah I'm just gonna move to one of those blue states with legal pot

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Okay, there's a definite issue of denial going on there.

Petr posted:

I think you're confusing despair with smugness.

Oh poo poo, a Dixiecrat trying to pander to the right lost to a Tea Party nutjob. THE DEMOCRATS ARE DOOOOOMED!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Taerkar posted:

Okay, there's a definite issue of denial going on there.

Oh good, the lesson we took away from this is, "This is an outlier, we'll get them next time!"

Again.

I love Louisville but it may be time to move to Colorado. At least I can regularly train with an aikido shihan that way.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Clearly the take-home lesson is to run further away from the Left.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Petr posted:

Ah yes. I am so shocked that in an, off-year election, in a red state, that Democrats lost. I can't believe it.

Democrat part might as well just pack up their bags and leave.

Jesus christ.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I remember being glad that Bevin squeaked out a victory in the primary because I reckoned he would be easy to beat.

Never gonna root for Tea Party victory again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Good Citizen posted:

Nah I'm just gonna move to one of those blue states with legal pot

Not looking good for that in Ohio tonight in early returns.

http://local.cincinnati.com/Elections/

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Quit whining and embrace the coldness of death.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Once again, anyone who thinks off-year elections are all predictive for presidential elections is dumb as hell. There are two races that are possible pickups for Republicans, Missouri and Montana, but both are decent enough chances for Dems, and NC is a real possibility in a presidential year for a pickup.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ah yes. I am so shocked that in an, off-year election, in a red state, that Democrats lost. I can't believe it.

Democrat part might as well just pack up their bags and leave.

Jesus christ.
Reminder that governor terms lasting four years means that states who elect their governors in non-presidential years do so perpetually, causing their results to distinctly skew in the direction of the party not in control of the White House.

Governor terms should be either two or six years long, only in even years.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Reminder that governor terms lasting four years means that states who elect their governors in non-presidential years do so perpetually, causing their results to distinctly skew in the direction of the party not controlled by the White House.

I entirely agree. Off-year elections are the dumbest poo poo.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

Lol a bunch of people in Kentucky are literally going to spite themselves to death tonight.

quote:

@cushbomb: Kentucky is gonna collect all the diabetic limbs amputated in the next year and spell out TAKE THAT, OBAMA on the lawn of the state capitol.

:smith:

Shamefully I didn't vote today, but it was just a mayoral election and the D challenger was utterly curbstomped so my abstention didn't mean much.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JT Jag posted:

Reminder that governor terms lasting four years means that states who elect their governors in non-presidential years do so perpetually, causing their results to distinctly skew in the direction of the party not in control of the White House.

Or, you know, maybe the Democrats can get their GotV act together for off years.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
We may not get legal weed but at least we will have a ban on gerrymandering it looks like. The state legislature is notorious for how bad the districts are drawn so this should be a huge help. It's been a big thing in every state so far at least. One silver lining :smith:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

God I hate democrats sometimes. We're the biggest bunch of pants-pissing idiots.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Or, you know, maybe the Democrats can get their GotV act together for off years.

There's zero reason to have off-year elections outside of helping Republican candidates.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Don't know why that double posted, other than I feel really strongly about it.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Guys, I just found out my roommate voted for the fark guy

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

How easy will it be for this new KY governor to roll back the medicaid expansion?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There's zero reason to have off-year elections outside of helping Republican candidates.

You know drat well the Democratic party would do the same.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Optimus Subprime posted:

How easy will it be for this new KY governor to roll back the medicaid expansion?

In theory, not as easy as it sounds. If Arkansas is an indicator, they'll just try to Republicanize it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

You know drat well the Democratic party would do the same.

I would still say it's a dumb, bad idea.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Optimus Subprime posted:

Everyone keeps saying he will, but my guess is he doesn't, blames the democrats in the state legislature and does every other bad thing people expect him to do

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

Guys, I just found out my roommate voted for the fark guy
Poison him

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'm not a supporter of off-year elections; heck, I think there's way too many elected positions in the US, it's needlessly confusing and makes it harder for people to take the process seriously. But just wishing it away won't help, and I'm guessing if it was possible to remove them, Democrats would already do it. On the other hand, rolling on an always-active voter engagement policy may have beneficial long-term benefits anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And while we're at it I'd like a million bucks, all my debt wiped out, and a pteron to ride around on

Optimus Subprime posted:

Dems have the House currently so any legislature changes will be blocked. I don't think they can wipe it out entirely since it's already been instituted. What I don't know is how bad they can cripple it with executive orders.

• Locked thread