Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I would still say it's a dumb, bad idea.

It's only dumb if it doesn't benefit the party doing it.

It's crafty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not a supporter of off-year elections; heck, I think there's way too many elected positions in the US, it's needlessly confusing and makes it harder for people to take the process seriously. But just wishing it away won't help, and I'm guessing if it was possible to remove them, Democrats would already do it. On the other hand, rolling on an always-active voter engagement policy may have beneficial long-term benefits anyway.

Step one is getting DSW out of the DNC.

Dems def need to come up with an action plan for undoing Republican gains at the state and local level though, because these morons are ruining the country.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Sorry, Kentucky :( Hope your new governor doesn't gently caress things up too much before he gets voted out.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Well, it's not much of a surprise to me but the HERO act is failing by a wide margin in Houston :smith:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

hangedman1984 posted:

Guys, I just found out my roommate voted for the fark guy
Punch him in the face. Repeatedly.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

UCS Hellmaker posted:

We may not get legal weed but at least we will have a ban on gerrymandering it looks like. The state legislature is notorious for how bad the districts are drawn so this should be a huge help. It's been a big thing in every state so far at least. One silver lining :smith:

It's too bad lots of people who support legal weed seem to have decided to vote for issue 2. Because that law totally won't be used to create an arbitrary roadblock to push any future weed law into off election years.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@ZekeJMiller: Jeb Bush apologizes to France for 3-day workweek dig https://t.co/hLguBJTB1Q via @TIMEPolitics

RIP Jeb

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Step one is getting DSW out of the DNC.

Dems def need to come up with an action plan for undoing Republican gains at the state and local level though, because these morons are ruining the country.

I hear ya. That level gets seriously overlooked in favor of the more nation/state-wide elections, mainly the former.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Poison him

I gave her an extremely disappointed look

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

quote:

“I now know that the average French workweek is actually greater than the German workweek,” Bush continued. “So, my God, I totally insulted an entire country—our first ally—that helped us become free as a nation! And I apologize. That did a huge disservice to France. It didn’t really get to the magnitude of the problem: Three day work week.”

If you don't work yourself to death, then you are not a true American!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The problem with Dean was his 50-state strategy ended up getting a shitton of Blue Dogs elected and blew up what should've been a supermajority for Obama's first two years with faux-Democrat anti-abortion fucksticks. Ergo, it was viewed as a failure.

What wasn't taken into account was how it was holding the line for governor's mansions and whatnot. Whoops!

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Joementum posted:

Not looking good for that in Ohio tonight in early returns.

http://local.cincinnati.com/Elections/

That bipartisan redistricting commission looks pretty popular right now (71-29%). Have similar proposals received similar margins from voters? Arizona had it on the ballot right?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
There were a fair amount of dudes posting about voting straight -D. That's a good start. Even Walt Minnicks better than the majority of Republican poo poo fucks who run.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

beshear up 2800 votes for the AG spot, 99% of precincts reporting

gonna come down to Muhlenberg

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

The problem with Dean was his 50-state strategy ended up getting a shitton of Blue Dogs elected and blew up what should've been a supermajority for Obama's first two years with faux-Democrat anti-abortion fucksticks. Ergo, it was viewed as a failure.

What wasn't taken into account was how it was holding the line for governor's mansions and whatnot. Whoops!

It was viewed as a failure by whom? Tim Kaine/DWS? I mean, poo poo, the Blue Dogs sucked, but Obama at least managed to get legislation (as watered down as it was) passed his first two years.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

PupsOfWar posted:

beshear up 2800 votes for the AG spot, 99% of precincts reporting

gonna come down to Muhlenberg

that's not a good thing, is it?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Optimus Subprime posted:

How easy will it be for this new KY governor to roll back the medicaid expansion?

It was never approved by the state legislature and was always exclusively an executive order, which means he could do it on a drunken whim if he felt like.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

that's not a good thing, is it?

well, given current turnout there will only be 6,000 or so votes there, so they could break pretty heavily for westerfield and still produce a beshear win

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

well, given current turnout there will only be 6,000 or so votes there, so they could break pretty heavily for bevin and still produce a beshear win

Good, I hope Beshear wins so Dave Weigel will shut the gently caress up tonight.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Suckthemonkey posted:

It was viewed as a failure by whom? Tim Kaine/DWS? I mean, poo poo, the Blue Dogs sucked, but Obama at least managed to get legislation (as watered down as it was) passed his first two years.

People who wanted a true liberal and not a blue dog. Or the ones who didn't vote for them again later.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

hangedman1984 posted:

Tell him you're running to the store then board up the windows and door and set the place on fire.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

hangedman1984 posted:

I recommend going the passive aggressive route. Pawn his stuff.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It was never approved by the state legislature and was always exclusively an executive order, which means he could do it on a drunken whim if he felt like.

Drunken whim you say? :allears:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Joe Ganim (D) has been elected Mayor of Bridgeport, Connecticut, beating Mary Jane Foster (D, but "unaffiliated" on the ballot) and city councilman Enrique Torres (R).

Ganim previously held the mayor's office from 1991-2003. From 2003-2010 he went to prison for embezzling funds from Bridgeport.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Joementum posted:

Joe Ganim (D) has been elected Mayor of Bridgeport, Connecticut, beating Mary Jane Foster (D, but "unaffiliated" on the ballot) and city councilman Enrique Torres (R).

Ganim previously held the mayor's office from 1991-2003. From 2003-2010 he went to prison for embezzling funds from Bridgeport.

Nice!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Hey, at least they know exactly what they're getting. :v:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Joementum posted:

Lets be honest. Bridgeport can't be more hosed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
AP called it for Beshear. He and Grimes were the only KY Dems to win tonight.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Now that's a politician.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh, it wasn't just "embezzlement". My mistake.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Oh, it wasn't just "embezzlement". My mistake.

His campaign slogan: "this time you're all getting a cut!"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
john bel edwards went down in defeat right

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Ganim 2016: What Are The Chances I'd Do It Twice?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

john bel edwards went down in defeat right

The runoff is on November 21.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Andy Beshear might make a decent candidate for governor or senate down the line, once people get nostalgic for the good ol' days of his dad's administration.

The Republicans probably had the same thought, which would be why the Republican Attorney Generals' Association bothered to spend money on this race, which they don't normally do.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Joementum posted:

I don't get why he's so popular, its not like Bridgeport stopped being any less lovely under his watch.

A local paper was doing a story on Toni Harps overwhelming reelection win in New Haven, and when interviewing Republicans on their complaints at least one said there weren't enough white employees at city hall :allears:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Amused to Death posted:

I don't get why he's so popular, its not like Bridgeport stopped being any less lovely under his watch.

A local paper was doing a story on Toni Harps overwhelming reelection win in New Haven, and when interviewing Republicans on their complaints at least one said there weren't enough white employees at city hall :allears:

Can we get a link?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Sorry, Kentucky :( Hope your new governor doesn't gently caress things up too much before he gets voted out.

*Looks at Kansas and Wisconsin, tugs collar*

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

foobardog posted:

I think the fact that the Presidential race is sometimes more about electing America's Father shouldn't be overlooked. It's completely part of the idea behind the type of candidate you'd like to have a beer with and Obamarama.

that's really weird to me, why would anyone want to drink with their parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

My local town voted to fix our sewers, but not fix our school's roof. Thanks old fucks! See you at the next meeting where you again complain about how no one is moving here.

• Locked thread