Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What gun are you going to use in this Call of Duty?
The good one that everyone else uses
Another, different gun
View Results

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reminder that Karl and Carl were two different helpful dudes.

Until they were lobotomized, anyways.

It was never my thing, but where did Ghosts rank among uses of C4?
Pre and post-nerf, if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

penis bandana posted:

I couldn't enjoy BO2 at all because of the unforgiveably lovely netcode. Worst CoD game.

sorry about your garbage connection and opinion

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Until they were lobotomized, anyways.

It was never my thing, but where did Ghosts rank among uses of C4?
Pre and post-nerf, if possible.

I fear BO3 is going to have very boring C4 :saddowns:

I don't think you can mid-air detonate it anymore, it has to land and set before you can trigger it. zzzzzzzzzzz.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Roman posted:

booted up some Ghosts for laughs. Every level was either all blue or all brown. Wow those sub-30 framerate dips. I paid money for that poo poo.

I returned it and bought Pokemon X after like, three days.

Also Ghosts was poo poo except for the Bane bad guy, who was hilaribad.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

victrix posted:

I fear BO3 is going to have very boring C4 :saddowns:

I don't think you can mid-air detonate it anymore, it has to land and set before you can trigger it. zzzzzzzzzzz.

From what I watched on the beta streams, its not that big of a deal. The C4 moves pretty fast, and it can be triggered as soon as it attaches to any surface.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Where Ghosts ultimately fell flat for me was being based around TDM instead of objectives. You couldn't have even had Hardpoint in Ghosts because you died way too fast. Black Ops 2 made throwing yourself at the objective fun and not a waste of time even if you were solo with randoms. It'll be nice to play another CoD that lets you do that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I decided to get this on drunken impulse buy after seeing some beta footage that looks like Advanced Warfare but less focused around who can get mad air and rain down machine gun fire and more focused on general sick stunts and bullets, which is good.

Blops is about the only COD I ever enjoy anyway, might as well get in while it's popular.

Am I the only one who liked AW's unlock system, though?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Roman posted:

Where Ghosts ultimately fell flat for me was being based around TDM instead of objectives. You couldn't have even had Hardpoint in Ghosts because you died way too fast. Black Ops 2 made throwing yourself at the objective fun and not a waste of time even if you were solo with randoms. It'll be nice to play another CoD that lets you do that.

In Ghosts Kill Confirmed, picking up a tag was worth less than getting a kill.

That is so backwards and sums up the screwy priorities in Ghosts perfectly.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I appreciate what Ghosts was trying to do with literrally every map that isn't Strikezone being gigantic, but the man the maps were just terrible regardless.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

I appreciate what Ghosts was trying to do with literrally every map that isn't Strikezone being gigantic, but the man the maps were just terrible regardless.

Where 'literal' = tremor, octane, prison break, freight, warhawk, flooded, and whatever that lovely tank plant map was

Siege and stormfront were definitely too big and bad, chasm was a mess, whiteout was fun, and Stonehaven was Wasteland v2, which I was pretty indifferent to, it was just another 'hunt bad snipers' map.

People have some real selective memory about Ghosts.

VJeff posted:

In Ghosts Kill Confirmed, picking up a tag was worth less than getting a kill.

That is so backwards and sums up the screwy priorities in Ghosts perfectly.

This isn't even true :pwn:

Let's make up random poo poo about CoDs: Black Ops 2 was bad because the attack crocodile killstreak was DLC only

victrix fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 4, 2015

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

victrix posted:

People have some real selective memory about Ghosts.

Ghosts is a pretty big haze, been going back to it a few time recently and still finding maps I forgot existed or DLC ones that I never played on. It was decently solid gameplay/netcode but so much of the game isn't memorable. It wasn't as popular/fun as Blops2 and not as big a poo poo show as Advanced Warfare.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

BrokenKnees posted:

Ghosts is a pretty big haze, been going back to it a few time recently and still finding maps I forgot existed or DLC ones that I never played on. It was decently solid gameplay/netcode but so much of the game isn't memorable. It wasn't as popular/fun as Blops2 and not as big a poo poo show as Advanced Warfare.

I have some theories as to why Ghosts got a bad rap, but they're a mix of pretty uninteresting factors (the ease of becoming invisible, satcoms, awful spawns at release, bad killstreaks, massive perk overload, too many 'hidden bonuses' in perk builds that could gently caress you over in a firefight, massive newbie traps in builds, etc), and some obvious ones (a handful of really unpopular maps, 'It's Not BO2'). The netcode/ttk issue will always crack me up though.

A lot of common internet 'gently caress ghosts' reasons are often either flat out untrue, or really distorted.

Ultimately it doesn't matter - if enough people are bitching about a game, even if what they're saying is completely wrong, the important part is that they're unhappy for one reason or another, the specific complaint is just a surface level 'gently caress this game', even if they can't or don't want to be bothered to articulate exactly why they feel that way. If a pissed off customer comes to you bitching about your lovely product, you don't tell them they're wrong, that just makes them more pissed off, you figure out why they got mad in the first place (well, assuming you aren't a crappy company anyway).

Personally I hope Ghosts 2 or whatever polishes the rough edges off, because a grim future where I have nothing to look forward to but 3arc 3 lane maps and Dom halftime in black ops, or whatever the hell sledge is doing with advanced jumpfare sounds pretty grim to me.

I like(d?) my yearly dose of basic shootymans cod style, there's nothing else out there like it, and now that BO has adopted at least some of the traits of AW that I reallllly didn't like (jet packs and wall runs in my tacticool shootmans, bleh), I get to wait and see if Ghosts decides to join the TF/Destiny/Halo/AW/BO string of fps games with Enhanced Mobility!!11

Anyway, wasting my time writing armchair design thoughts about billion dollar mtndew franchise CoD on the somethingawful.com forums is about as :goonsay: as I can handle, this game needs to come out so I can remember what a proper spawn trap and 50+ kill game looks like in an fps :neckbeard:

You know what I really miss after a year of TF/Destiny/Halo without CoD? Weed skins on my guns. That's what I miss.

And that is one area where blops excels:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

victrix posted:

I like(d?) my yearly dose of basic shootymans cod style, there's nothing else out there like it, and now that BO has adopted at least some of the traits of AW that I reallllly didn't like (jet packs and wall runs in my tacticool shootmans, bleh), I get to wait and see if Ghosts decides to join the TF/Destiny/Halo/AW/BO string of fps games with Enhanced Mobility!!11

The enhanced mobility stuff in Blops 3 exists solely because AW had it and the new game not having it anymore would seem like regression. The jetpack is just a double jump with a cooldown and wallrunning is completely useless outside of enabling very select and very obvious side routes. Both abilities are intended 100% purely for traversal, the actual combat is more or less exactly like it was in Blops 2.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would buy an attack crocodile kill streak.

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

Bloodmobile posted:

The enhanced mobility stuff in Blops 3 exists solely because AW had it and the new game not having it anymore would seem like regression. The jetpack is just a double jump with a cooldown and wallrunning is completely useless outside of enabling very select and very obvious side routes. Both abilities are intended 100% purely for traversal, the actual combat is more or less exactly like it was in Blops 2.

I will still wall run all over everything like I'm playing Titanfall (where I would wall run all the time no matter what), like I used to dive off of everything (usually to my death) in BLOPS1.

I would add that I like enhanced mobility, but deep down I'm a Quake/Tribes guy at heart and anything that makes games faster I will like. Deep down I want rocket jumping and bunny-hopping/strafe jumping in all games and I'd much rather be happy than right any day.

I just kicked off my preload on Steam this morning...I almost forgot that I'd preordered the thing on a whim (preordering a game is the least of my sins...I own a consolized NeoGeo MVS and pretend space ships in a hypothetical game (Star Citizen) and play all my PC games on a CRT that I found brand new a few months ago (GDM 5411, running poo poo at 1920x1440@75Hz)...so preordering a game is the least of the things that makes me a monster).

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

sorry about your garbage connection and opinion

Outside of being host or not, the lag in CoD games has almost nothing to do with your connection. It exists in LAN games, dude.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Black Ops 2 has built-in lag, even in local split screen mode. There's lots of videos on Youtube showing this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoFnIckyoxg

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

victrix posted:

This isn't even true :pwn:

Let's make up random poo poo about CoDs: Black Ops 2 was bad because the attack crocodile killstreak was DLC only

Oh no you caught me, I guess I just like to make up random poo poo about bad games except oh wait.

CoD Wiki posted:

After a patch, collecting tags now counts as half a point towards the player's strike chain.

Guess not.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Does this game launch everywhere at the exact same time on PC? I tried looking at the Steam store page through VPN connections from 3 different regions and the launch date stayed at 39 hours from now.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I got billed 49.99 from Amazon and couldn't figure out what it was for. Guess I saved $10 on the game because of Prime. That's nice of you Amazon, thanks!

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

VJeff posted:

Oh no you caught me, I guess I just like to make up random poo poo about bad games except oh wait.

Additional spergpoints about KC -

CoD wiki posted:

Kill Confirmed reappears in Call of Duty: Black Ops II [...] However, the player now gets 50 points for killing an enemy and 100 for confirming a kill, both of which will go towards the player's scorestreak.
This is good! it promotes people confirming existing kills and using ~teamwork~ to achieve victory!

CoD wiki posted:

Kill Confirmed once again appears in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. [...] Killing a enemy player awards 50 points, picking up a enemy/friendly tag awards 50 points
This sucks. It makes killing and confirming equal, which means it's just TDM.

Additionally, BLOPS2 had 100 points to win, A&W had 85, and Ghosts had 65. Higher score limits are always better in KC, as they encourage actually doing the game-mode objective.

boy, this turned into a lot of :words: by my codthread shitposting standards. Basically blops2 > ghosts / A&W based on game-mode implementation.

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876
I'm realizing I never loving played Ghosts. Kept meaning to load it up but never did, so I don't really have an opinion on it. I was in the middle of my Tribes Ascend obsession at the time (which Blops2 and QLive on Steam briefly distracted me from), and I had low expectations given that I really hated MW3, so I think I just never got around to setting it up and playing it. I also think the FoV was locked and 65 just looks like poo poo to me when I'm sitting close to a monitor, so that my have played a part.

Did Ghosts actually have server instances, or did it use listen-servers hosted on player machines? I seem to remember that it had proper servers behind the scenes so at least it's netcode was probably good (Blops2 had servers as well if I remember correctly). I'm wondering if I should have given it a try.

I'll probably end up playing BO3 for a bit and going back to Titanfall when I can find a Hardpoint game on PC. In the beta, the movement didn't seem extreme or fast enough to scratch the same itch Titanfall did and it didn't manage to scratch the same itch the earlier CoD games I liked did (those being CoD4, CoDBlops, and BO2). AW kind of fell into the same trap, but the movement felt even worse and generally too jerky. It felt more like the off-on-off-on speed of spamming dodge in UT when it came to traversing a map. In combat it occasionally added some extra depth, but it was a little too jerky/glitchy there as well.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
I'm so loving hyped on this stupid game. Mom/Scraps is allegedly coming back, Good Dog is back... I'm basically rock hard over friendship right now. Can't wait to start poop socking at 12 EST tomorrow with you guys.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

SilentW posted:

This is good! it promotes people confirming existing kills and using ~teamwork~ to achieve victory!
Personally I thought it was so scrubs like me can play a TDM mode yet still stand a chance of getting a decent score or kill-streak just from picking up tags and maybe shooting the occasional man.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ahaha reviews are going live the minute of release, midnight Eastern Time the night of the 5th.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
there was a beta that we all played. why do you really care about reviews

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
dont say zombies.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

limited posted:

Personally I thought it was so scrubs like me can play a TDM mode yet still stand a chance of getting a decent score or kill-streak just from picking up tags and maybe shooting the occasional man.

that's teamwork though, feeding off of the work of the team.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Vorlonesque posted:

I'm realizing I never loving played Ghosts. Kept meaning to load it up but never did, so I don't really have an opinion on it. I was in the middle of my Tribes Ascend obsession at the time (which Blops2 and QLive on Steam briefly distracted me from), and I had low expectations given that I really hated MW3, so I think I just never got around to setting it up and playing it. I also think the FoV was locked and 65 just looks like poo poo to me when I'm sitting close to a monitor, so that my have played a part.

Did Ghosts actually have server instances, or did it use listen-servers hosted on player machines? I seem to remember that it had proper servers behind the scenes so at least it's netcode was probably good (Blops2 had servers as well if I remember correctly). I'm wondering if I should have given it a try.

The locked FOV was a problem. IW flip-flopping on banning people who used FOV changers didn't help either. The port also had some serious performance issues. You didn't miss much.

Ghosts introduced the "Hybrid" system where the game would switch between P2P and dedicated servers automatically. The only way you could really tell what server you were on was based on the error message you got if you were kicked from a game.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

captivating enthralling invigorating nonstop water cooler moments in the much anticipated singleplayer campaign

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mods can we please ban all zombie chat that poo poo mode should not be acknowledged.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Is the turret rippable?/10

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Yea this is what sold me on the game anyway. I watched dudes talking about beta experiences and said 'oh, cool, seems like the kinda COD bullshit I enjoy'. Reviews at this point are a formality when the only feature that matters has been beta tested and talked about for like, a few months(spoiler it's a non-broken COD game and blops is the COD franchise everyone loves, it's gonna get good scores).

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

SilentW posted:

that's teamwork though, feeding off of the work of the team.
Good point! :lol:

Hardpoint having rotations always bugged me. It being a random location would've made things much more crazy. Instead of 'This timer is down to five seconds, don't bother coming here when you spawn, head to the next point, stick claymores in all the doors and camp in the corners until it goes active.'

But I guess the spawning code would probably just burst into flames.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mods can we please ban all zombie chat that poo poo mode should not be acknowledged.

:agreed:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whoa let's not say poo poo we can't take back

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Suck my juggernog you dorks

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Please explain to me how playing a game where defeat is a guaranteed outcome is fun.

Genuinely curious, by the way.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The point is seeing how long you can last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

and blops is the COD franchise everyone loves

This is wrong, though.

• Locked thread