Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Jefferson County in Colorado voted to recall three Board of Education members. All three received had the support of AFP who funneled massive amounts of money into the state against the recall. All three basically have spent their whole tenure trying to dismantle the public education system of the second largest county in the state.

All three were shady as poo poo and even though I don't live in JeffCo nor plan on moving there, I'm happy as gently caress they're gonna be gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Joementum posted:

Oh, it wasn't just "embezzlement". My mistake.

Man, this country really does deserve to crash and burn. Voters are the dumbest motherfuckers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Aurubin posted:

My local town voted to fix our sewers, but not fix our school's roof. Thanks old fucks! See you at the next meeting where you again complain about how no one is moving here.

At least they know where the water that leaks from the school's roof will go.

So Kentucky voted to gently caress itself up the own rear end for a few years huh? Good going KY.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Paul MaudDib posted:

Never thought about the Amazon a-> thing.

Their full-size logo had an arrow going from the A to the Z in Amazon.

Because they had all sorts of books from A to Z.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mississippi AG Jim Hood, the last Democrat in Dixie, up 54-46 with 37% of the vote counted.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

BigRed0427 posted:

Can we get a link?

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/harp_coasts_to_victory/

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Mississippi AG Jim Hood, the last Democrat in Dixie, up 54-46 with 37% of the vote counted.

If you are really Dave, I want to smack you.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Sorry, I just have to vent: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...f839_story.html

quote:

Parrish, the Manassas mayor, opposes Medicaid expansion, has an A-minus rating from the National Rifle Association and cast the tie-breaking vote allowing restrictions on Manassas abortion clinics. McPike, who works for the city of Alexandria, favors Medicaid expansion, gun control and abortion rights.

Shari Wahlert, 54, a federal worker, said she was backing Parrish even though she leans Democratic, because she prefers split government. “It’s probably my naive view of the world that we all work together when it comes down to it,” Wahlert said.

What planet has she been living on? :psyduck:

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

RevKrule posted:

Jefferson County in Colorado voted to recall three Board of Education members. All three received had the support of AFP who funneled massive amounts of money into the state against the recall. All three basically have spent their whole tenure trying to dismantle the public education system of the second largest county in the state.

All three were shady as poo poo and even though I don't live in JeffCo nor plan on moving there, I'm happy as gently caress they're gonna be gone.

I also do not live in their district, and don't have kids, but nevertheless :byewhore:

Notable shittiness:
  • instituting a crappy "pay for performance" system for teachers
  • pushing students to quasi-private charter schools
  • hiding public meetings from the public in violation of state law
  • an attempt to "review" the new AP US History curriculum to make it "more patriotic" (read: founding fathers good, natives actually existing prior to glorious 'murrica bad. This one actually caused a mass student walkout)

They just got booted out of office by nearly 2:1 margins.

Interestingly, some pro-'reform' incumbents in Douglas County may also be losing their jobs tonight, which is interesting as DougCo, unlike JeffCo, is very much not a swing county and is usually reliably republican; it's mostly southern denver suburbs and rural types.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Optimus Subprime posted:

*Looks at Kansas and Wisconsin, tugs collar*

Hope you updated your escape plan.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mississippi Initiative 42 posted:

Initiative Measure #42 would protect each child’s fundamental right to educational opportunity through the 12th grade by amending Section 201 of the Mississippi Constitution to require that the State must provide and the legislature must fund an adequate and efficient system of free public schools. This initiative would also authorize the chancery courts of this State to enforce this section with appropriate injunctive relief.

Mississippi Initiative 42 A posted:

This constitutional amendment is proposed as a legislative alternative measure to Initiative Measure No. 42 and would require the Legislature to provide, by general law, for the establishment, maintenance and support of an effective system of free public schools.

Currently 54-46 against both, 58-42 for I42 over I42A.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

FourLeaf posted:

Sorry, I just have to vent: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...f839_story.html

The middle-class planet of a government job where you have a constant decent paycheck and health insurance and don't really think too much about politics other than "gee I wish my taxes would go down so I could take another cruise this year."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If you are really Dave, I want to smack you.

I follow him on Twitter and looked up the results when he tweeted that they were starting to come in.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss

I went to school in JeffCo, and even though I'm not living there either I have friends who are teachers in the district, and all three board members are universally loathed.

I'm really hopeful this is a positive step towards scrubbing Tea Party idiots from positions of political power and portends well for 2016.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

FourLeaf posted:

"I think it's important to switch the parties around every so often" is something I heard multiple times last month

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

I follow him on Twitter and looked up the results when he tweeted that they were starting to come in.

I normally enjoy him, but he was an intolerably smug rear end in a top hat tonight who's trying to say that ACA was bad idea and Dems shouldn't have done it. Which misses a point entirely about Dems that runaway from themselves lose, while ones that hold to their guns win.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What a lovely night for LGBT :bang:

gently caress Houston, gently caress Abbot and gently caress Kentucky

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not a supporter of off-year elections; heck, I think there's way too many elected positions in the US, it's needlessly confusing and makes it harder for people to take the process seriously. But just wishing it away won't help, and I'm guessing if it was possible to remove them, Democrats would already do it. On the other hand, rolling on an always-active voter engagement policy may have beneficial long-term benefits anyway.

Fivethirtyeight had an article this morning about how a lot of Democratic groups like teachers unions and municipal employee organizations prefer off-year elections because the lower turnout allows those organizations to wield greater influence by turning out en masse.

Less applicable to a statewide race for governor but still not a bad read.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

PupsOfWar posted:

"I think it's important to switch the parties around every so often" is something I heard multiple times last month

"We gave the Democrats 8 years in power with Obama. It's time to give the Republicans a chance. I'm voting Trump."

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

FourLeaf posted:

Parrish is a piece of poo poo thank god he lost

Dick Black is an even bigger piece of poo poo and he got reelected gently caress Virginians and their neverending love of incumbents

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Joementum posted:

I remember when they did this for the Puerto Rico vote.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ohio Update:

http://www.cleveland.com/election-results/index.ssf/2015/11/statewide_results_for_ohio_iss.html

quote:

Here are the unofficial results for statewide issues from the Ohio Secretary of State's website. Latest update: 10:17 p.m.

State Issue 1

Issue 1 creates a process for drawing legislative districts to discourage dominant parties from setting boundaries that strongly favor themselves by requiring that the other major party agree to the map. (read more)

YES 1,549,786
NO 629,702
State Issue 2

Issue 2 raises a barrier for issues, including Issue 3, that create monopolies or grant special tax conditions by requiring that voters agree to waive the rules before voting on the issue itself. (read more)

YES 1,203,485
NO 1,096,323
State Issue 3

Issue 3 permits commercial production and sale of marijuana by what amounts to a monopoly in 10 locations around the state, It allows individuals to grow limited amounts for personal use. (read more)

YES 819,949
NO 1,515,981

Looks like bittersweet defeat for Issue 3. Though Ohio has not legalized marijuana, the state avoided being subject to the whims of the Taft family, who would have had a monopoly on the sale of recreational marijuana.

Issue 1 sets up a bipartisan commission to draw legislative boundaries. It isn't ideal, but it is better than the extremely shady and secretive redistricting process that took place in 2011 in which state Republican leaders met in a hotel room and redrew borders according to Boehner's demands.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 4, 2015

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Youth Decay posted:

Parrish is a piece of poo poo thank god he lost

Dick Black is an even bigger piece of poo poo and he got reelected gently caress Virginians and their neverending love of incumbents

any final numbers? staying about 21-19?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
What are the penalties for election volunteers not checking IDs when it's a law in that state?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AndNowMax posted:

Fivethirtyeight had an article this morning about how a lot of Democratic groups like teachers unions and municipal employee organizations prefer off-year elections because the lower turnout allows those organizations to wield greater influence by turning out en masse.

Less applicable to a statewide race for governor but still not a bad read.

They'r'e really dumb and they need to stop doing it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kentucky is going to lose the Medicaid expansion

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

potato of destiny posted:

I also do not live in their district, and don't have kids, but nevertheless :byewhore:

Notable shittiness:
  • an attempt to "review" the new AP US History curriculum to make it "more patriotic" (read: founding fathers good, natives actually existing prior to glorious 'murrica bad. This one actually caused a mass student walkout)

Interestingly, some pro-'reform' incumbents in Douglas County may also be losing their jobs tonight, which is interesting as DougCo, unlike JeffCo, is very much not a swing county and is usually reliably republican; it's mostly southern denver suburbs and rural types.

What are their Twitter accounts, I need to dance on their political graves to get out of this Kentucky funk.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Taerkar posted:

Edit: ^^^^ The whole 'State control' is a bit of a distraction though since a lot of the R-controlled states are the same states that they control for national elections. Their terrible policies are mostly limited to Corn and Texans.

Kentucky's Legislature is as follows:

House: 54 D to 46 R
Senate: 23 R to 14 D (And one I)

So unlike VA the GOP actually has to bribe 4 house members to resign this time instead of just 1 senator.

Mitt Romney fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 4, 2015

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Kentucky is going to lose the Medicaid expansion

And Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Houston LGBT ordinance is dead by a pretty wide margin. Unfortunately, the trans-phobia over goddamn bathrooms is still an effective marketing tactic.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Our mayor, Pete Buttigieg, won in a landslide victory of 80-20. :woop:

From what I heard democrats on the whole didn't do to shabby in Indiana tonight. Bloomington was a sweep for D, and even a few other cities like Anderson picked up New Democratic mayors.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spiffster posted:

Our mayor, Pete Buttigieg, won in a landslide victory of 80-20. :woop:

From what I heard democrats on the whole didn't do to shabby in Indiana tonight. Bloomington was a sweep for D, and even a few other cities like Anderson picked up New Democratic mayors.

Please tell me his name is pronounced butt gig.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Please tell me his name is pronounced butt gig.

Sadly no but he came out of the closet this year so he is very much into butt gigs. :pervert:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Houston LGBT ordinance is dead by a pretty wide margin. Unfortunately, the trans-phobia over goddamn bathrooms is still an effective marketing tactic.

LGBT groups don't have a ton on their plate immediately. There's enough time to get a good ol' fashioned boycott going.

Funnily enough, like Arizona, Houston has an upcoming super bowl that can be threatened.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Joementum posted:

It should be noted that the only reason that we have a need to put this initiative on our balance is because in 1997 we mandated by law that the legislature properly fund our public school systems using a preset formula.

They've done that exactly TWO times since then. They have literally broken the law every other year and have faced zero repercussions.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Issue 1 Passed in ohio. Yay.

Issue 3 failed. Meh. Boo I guess but it was a lovely flavor of legalization.

Issue 2 passed though. Hurray for vaguely worded laws designed to create a more confusing ballot for future initiatives. This will probably be used to kill at least one good thing by confusing the gently caress out of people. Probably a marijuana amendment, which will be wonderfully ironic since half the people I see touting Issue 2 were somehow thinking this would be a good thing for legalization.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Through what mechanism can the KY governor unilaterally rollback the Medicaid expansion?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Teddybear posted:

LGBT groups don't have a ton on their plate immediately. There's enough time to get a good ol' fashioned boycott going.

Funnily enough, like Arizona, Houston has an upcoming super bowl that can be threatened.
It seems pretty clear like with things such as Prop 8, these kinds of issues are only going to be resolved in court since Congress sure isn't going to pass anything.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

potato of destiny posted:

Notable shittiness:

I wonder if it's a byproduct of more young liberalish types moving to the Denver area over the last couple years. In the same vein, I was sort of expecting Prop BB because of TABOR the the general FYGM attitude this state has over taxes, but it passed by a pretty wide margin as well.

However, I will also say I think it's nice that the state has some of a republican base, it helps keep the Democrats honest, but it would be nice if most of the crazies stayed out in the wilderness where they belong and let civilization move along in peace.

Maybe we can get a campaign rolling for the next election to get TABOR scrubbed from the constitution...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Through what mechanism can the KY governor unilaterally rollback the Medicaid expansion?

I think I heard it referred to as an executive-level decision to expand it so I assume the power still resides in the office to rescind that order.

• Locked thread