Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
All of the frenzy passives you have running can be maintained with your builder, Escalation. This will leave your two consumers available for whatever you want to do. I usually take a solid AoE for one of the resources and a single target dump for the other. Can't go wrong with Toshimos suggestion of swapping out Steel Palace for Clearing the Path.

Some single target Chaos abilities suggestions; Pulling the Strings (gives a good buff of Minor Hit Chance, and its a cross bow which is awesome), Consequence (gives a strong defensive buff, Minor Ward, which pairs well with Major Ward from Fluid Defense), or Four Horsemen (straight solid damage).

There are a couple suggestions for ability changes.

I would change Breakdown for Intensity (builder unique passive), you will only be able to apply the exposed weakened effect from the builder; however, it gives the benefit of reducing glances on the builder.

Drop Gross Anatomy for Fluid Defense. You don't have enough afflictions to make Gross Anatomy a solid source of damage. Fluid Defense will increase your damage and your damage mitigation.

The rest of your active and passive abilities should work well enough to get you into Egypt and beyond.

Reducing glancing hits is important while you are leveling up, before you have your weapon skills maxed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I figured Gross Anatomy paired well with Shoot Em Up, which makes all of my frenzy abilities give affliction. No?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OSheaman posted:

I figured Gross Anatomy paired well with Shoot Em Up, which makes all of my frenzy abilities give affliction. No?

They all apply the same affliction and it never has time to fall off, so you never get the benefit.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

OSheaman posted:

Sort of. You will apply it on the first hit, every other hit will refresh the timer on it. It is possible that gross anatomy does not proc, because the debuff never expires.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Ohhhh haha duh, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You might confirm that in the combat log first. The wiki says it hits on reapplication. Otherwise, try Bloodsport, in Fists. It stacks and has a short duration.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Gave The Park a try. Had to take a couple breaks, not the biggest fan in the world of jump scares; as I am a huge baby. But honestly, Funcom needs to release more games like this. Even if they don't explore the TSW lore; however, I would Kickstart the poo poo out of a Klein experience!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

HughGRect posted:

Gave The Park a try.

Have you looked at the bonus items you get for TSW for buying The Park?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

Have you looked at the bonus items you get for TSW for buying The Park?

Yeah, there is a pedo-chipmunk outfit and three necklaces that are 10.9 quality. The necklaces have little gimmicks for healers, tanks and dps's. The tank one boosts your lowest defense stat by 300 for 5 second, the healer one does some healing mumbo jumbo, the dps one does a penetrate thing. I will take screenies later when I log back in.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HughGRect posted:

Yeah, there is a pedo-chipmunk outfit and three necklaces that are 10.9 quality.

Pix pls

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

+972 Heal Rating +296 Crit Power
Ally takes 20% less damage, remaining 80% is split between healer and ally. REmoves any barriers and heals for double the remaining barrier strength. Once every 10 seconds.

+972 Attack Rating +296 Crit Power
When an attack does not pen, you get a counter. A 5 counters, get a buff that increases pen chance by 50% for 3 seconds.

+2728 Health, +152 Magical and Physical Protection
When hit, 33% chance to increase your lowest defense state by 300 for 5 seconds.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

I just want to say that these are inspired outfits.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 28, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hugh, you are my hero.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

I just want to say that these are inspired outfits.

Only fashion can stop the Filth.

Toshimo posted:

Hugh, you are my hero.

I am still fond of the American Flag tattoo that Joel gave my character after I supported him during the #FreeEvilBillMurray campaign. Can see it in the first image.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I hate that Funcom keeps sending me emails saying "EvilBillMurray you're invited to..." I'm not invited to do anything except spend money. :(

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Played the park and its what you can expect. A "walking simulator" thats scary and has some good theme and spooky atmosphere.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I liked it but it was a bit predictable and they did overplay their hand towards the end but over all pretty good.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Talking about walking simulators - the Halloween content this year is pretty boring. At least Cat God and the radio one from last year are available.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Are there golems?

Because TSW Halloween is never complete without golem fights that show how the terrible engine can barely handle a few dozen people at once.

I still have a million super jack summoning items from two years ago, before they doubled down on "fixing" fun.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
There's no new golems but super jack is still there. I fought him yesterday and it actually wasn't that bad, almost no lag at all.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I liked how it wrapped up the story from the park but yeah, it was a lot of just going from place to place to end with a setup like that. Also telling you how it ends right out of the gate was dumb.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone give me a trail key for this game? I'd really like to try it out.

I really dig Lovecraftian themes in games and I would really like to try out the combat for myself. From what I've seen from the gameplay videos combat system seems to be kind of meh but if the "dungeons" are interesting enough it might alleviate it for me.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
If there is one thing I can give The Secret World credit for it's that the dungeons are generally fun as hell. Maybe not always fun on Nightmare if you don't have poo poo down pat but I will credit this game on having some of the most fun instances I have played in an MMO. Little in the way of trash, mostly just bosses with entertaining mechanics and a reliance on paying attention. Also by the late game it's generally easy enough to play any role in any non-nightmare dungeon assuming you spread your ap/sp around a little bit. I will to the end of my days hold up the Solomon Island Normal dungeons as an example of solid instance design assuming one ignores the initial bugs.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone give me a trail key for this game? I'd really like to try it out.

I really dig Lovecraftian themes in games and I would really like to try out the combat for myself. From what I've seen from the gameplay videos combat system seems to be kind of meh but if the "dungeons" are interesting enough it might alleviate it for me.

PM me your email address and ill generate one for you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

-snip-

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 1, 2015

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I've had this in my steam library for a while, figured I'll give it a whirl because I've been looking for an MMO to play for a while since FFXIV stopped scratching that itch. Does the game still have an active playerbase? Also question about the chat join thing in the OP, do I throw that in the script folder in my steam section or am I looking for something different (since the wording on the folder sequence is different to the folder sequence I went through)

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

I've had this in my steam library for a while, figured I'll give it a whirl because I've been looking for an MMO to play for a while since FFXIV stopped scratching that itch. Does the game still have an active playerbase? Also question about the chat join thing in the OP, do I throw that in the script folder in my steam section or am I looking for something different (since the wording on the folder sequence is different to the folder sequence I went through)

..\steamapps\common\The Secret World\Scripts

I just did a fresh install of TSW on a new computer and the Scripts folder was not present. It could be that it gets created with addons. Create a new folder in the TSW root folder and put the files in there.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/359380/

TSW Ultimate Edition (everything up to Issue 11) is 50% off on steam this weekend. So...about $30 for pretty much all the content.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

Realistically you will only need playerbase for dungeons and maybe a couple of regular missions. Or if you want to PVP for some reason. I'd say its active enough, never felt like there isn't enough players.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

alfheimwanderer posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359380/

TSW Ultimate Edition (everything up to Issue 11) is 50% off on steam this weekend. So...about $30 for pretty much all the content.

Just getting back into this (I bought a cheap version of the game that gave me a cat and some other stuff about a year back) and grabbed this deal.
I'm still in/near the starting areas and still having fun.

I really dig the fact that the investigation quest types exist, even though I'm terrible and almost always have to use google for the really hard bits (I feel kind of bad about that).

My main character that I'm currently playing as is a pistol and blade templar with two skills that build resources for both weapons, following the, uh, "maverick" deck (I only just learned decks are a thing yesterday) and then focusing on the trees for these which allow self heal while killing stuff. Am I going down a bad path, or am I going to still be able to have fun with this build?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

mcjomar posted:

Just getting back into this (I bought a cheap version of the game that gave me a cat and some other stuff about a year back) and grabbed this deal.
I'm still in/near the starting areas and still having fun.

I really dig the fact that the investigation quest types exist, even though I'm terrible and almost always have to use google for the really hard bits (I feel kind of bad about that).

My main character that I'm currently playing as is a pistol and blade templar with two skills that build resources for both weapons, following the, uh, "maverick" deck (I only just learned decks are a thing yesterday) and then focusing on the trees for these which allow self heal while killing stuff. Am I going down a bad path, or am I going to still be able to have fun with this build?

Decks are okay, but you will want to use your own deck once you hit either Blue Mountain or Translylvania. You want to start using synergies (Like using Blood sport (which causes an afflict per hti) and other things that proc when you hit an enemy with afflicts)). The problem with decks is they usually only focus on two trees, which is detrimental once you hit he harder areas.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough.
I've mostly just built my AP in the manner advised a page or so back by adding some of those low level 1AP and 2AP choices which add easy generic boosts, and then thrown anything in which either adds damage, or gives me heals if I crit/do damage or similar.
I'm also looking towards the survivalism line (or whatever it's called - the top green one) for a few extras - is this worth it? Or just a waste of AP?

EDIT: also, is it okay for me to specialize in pistols/blades, or should I focus on one of these two, or should I spread my focus?

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 2, 2015

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sekenr posted:

Realistically you will only need playerbase for dungeons and maybe a couple of regular missions. Or if you want to PVP for some reason. I'd say its active enough, never felt like there isn't enough players.

To be fair it has some amazing dungeons and duoing through the game trivializes most of the combat, so its worth finding a homie to murder monsters with.
EDIT: Im gonna go through the game again on a new charachter so if you need a murder buddy, hit me up on Dreadwroth. Ill be on the Daemon server.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 4, 2015

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I've done a bunch of digging for information, and branched out a little, adding assault rifle leech heal-tank to my list of weapons I've got to level 5, in addition to blades and pistols.
Having got my major talismans to 10, after getting the park for fun, the heal rating axe talisman is making a lot of this content laughably easy for me to wander through. Most of it, anyway.

I'm working on doing all my core wheels (nearly finished) and I'm most of the way through Blue Mountain.

I've found that the little bay where fireteam bravo is located (southwest, err, kraken bay? point?) where all those draug pod people go to turn into bigger pods (die) and then turn into newborn draug (die) is the best place to farm werewolf (werecat?) kills for the Halloween bags, and werewolf achievements, because lots of them will die with the buff on, creating the werecats, and then sometimes even the werecats will get the "haunted" buff, and create more werecats.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Just so you don't run into my issue, once you approach the end of transylvania, put some points into the aegis skills for when you hit Tokyo. I just ran into a hard stop after finishing the first chunk of kaidan. That bit of tokyo was only enough research to get one of my aegis to 1.1 with a few others close, and because I spent so many points getting every weapon to 10 as well as picking up whip, flamethrower, etc, I didn't have anything left to pump my aegis skills with. Now I can't progress with the plot until I spend a few weeks rerunning the early kaidan content. The blue shields regen faster than I can damage them for instance.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the heads up.
I've nearly got my inner ring complete (two 7 point skills in hammers to go), and a friend of mine keeps asking for help/company when levelling up and running savage coast content, so I'm using it as an opportunity to get extra AP/SP.
My main templar character is on Arcadia along with my Illuminati, but I have another templar on Daemon, and my Dragon is on Grim.

I was thinking (after reading about AEGIS that maybe the psychic shields look best for my playstyle? But I'm just guessing right now).

I'm enjoying my assault rifle leech build for now - most of the time it keeps me alive long after I would have died with the same slots filled with pistol skills.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Coming back after a few years, have the quests had their initial XP increased enough that it's worth it to start over again or are they still the same value? I was a lifetime member so I have a ton of free poo poo that will help me level and have access to basically all content.

Also, is everyone still on Grimm or have people switched servers?

e: Also, when are people usually online?

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 10, 2015

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure but having played through it recently, and compared to some of the early posts in this thread, I'm going to go with "probably not".
XP gain early on is still slow as hell, but picks up gradually more and more as you go through Savage Coast and Blue Mountain.

My read is that there's not really a core goon community anymore (but if I'm wrong, then that's cool to know) and not really a central server (but I guess Grim is still fine anyway?).

Outside of that the game is still as fun as it ever was - it certainly seems to get a little more enjoyable once you progress out past the early Kingsmouth stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Coming back after a few years, have the quests had their initial XP increased enough that it's worth it to start over again or are they still the same value? I was a lifetime member so I have a ton of free poo poo that will help me level and have access to basically all content.

Also, is everyone still on Grimm or have people switched servers?

e: Also, when are people usually online?

Servers still make no difference unless you pvp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So I'm relatively new to the game. I'm using Blood/Blade with these skills: https://www.tswdb.com/builds/beginner-solo/basic-blood-weapon-combinations, but now the mission difficulty is gettign a little too much for me to handle, but I don't know what to go for for skills. Any advice?

• Locked thread