Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Accordion Man posted:

There's a fan translation of Cosmology of Kyoto you can play, you need DOS Box too run it. I think there was a link posted in this thread to a folder where someone set it all up already.
You probably don't need a fan translation as that game had a US release as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SOMA is 30 bucks. Should I buy it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That DARK game is this sketch in video game form.

Accordion Man posted:

There's a fan translation of Cosmology of Kyoto you can play, you need DOS Box too run it. I think there was a link posted in this thread to a folder where someone set it all up already.

You're probably thinking of a custom installer. The game was released in America on Windows 95.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 1, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Huh, I thought it was Japan only.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I wish all the success in the world to the Five Nights at Freddy's Guy

http://www.destructoid.com/five-nights-at-freddy-s-world-looks-strange-318439.phtml

Considering how this game seems to play like his old games from before FNAF...

It seems the entire FNAF series was a bait and switch so he could make another JRPG but this time actually have people play it.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

If you're unsure I'd say no. I really enjoyed it and most people in this thread seem to have liked it, but if something like Amnesia and everything it's inspired isn't your thing, I don't think Soma would change your mind. Wait for it to go cheaper if you've held off this long.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Flubby posted:

If you're unsure I'd say no. I really enjoyed it and most people in this thread seem to have liked it, but if something like Amnesia and everything it's inspired isn't your thing, I don't think Soma would change your mind. Wait for it to go cheaper if you've held off this long.

I tried buying but psn wouldnt accept the card oh well

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
You didn't happen to notice any metallic growths with LED lights on and around your Playstation(tm) entertainment system?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

oldpainless posted:

I would. Be advised this game is deliberately designed as a weird slow burn rather than an in-your-face horrorfest. If you like exploring environments and environmental storytelling you're gonna love it, though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DreadOut being terrible is kind of a bummer, since more games really should take inspiration from Fatal Frame, fanservice outfits aside.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Evil Within Digital Bundle seems to be the best possible deal I'd get for the game and the DLC. I understand the DLC corrects a lot of problems people had with the initial release, so my question is:

Is Evil Within + DLC worth 28 bucks?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is Evil Within worth

no

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Not worth the money, but it's got some good elements to it. And a good sequence or two. It just doesn't come together in any way.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Evil Within Digital Bundle seems to be the best possible deal I'd get for the game and the DLC. I understand the DLC corrects a lot of problems people had with the initial release, so my question is:

Is Evil Within + DLC worth 28 bucks?
It's a great game and I'd said if you were unsure then just get the main game. The problem that people had with the ending originally was that they didn't seem to understand it, but the journey is really what matters in the game. It's a spooky tense ride.

VVVV
The story is fine, if a bit nonsensical but that makes sense once the plot develops. People just had odd expectations of what the game was supposed to be, i.e. it's Mikami making a horror game so it's going to be Resident Evil 4 again.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 2, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So, the gameplay is good, the story is bad, basically?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I like evil within and would gladly pay 28 with all the dlc.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

oldpainless posted:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Niggurath posted:

It's a great game and I'd said if you were unsure then just get the main game. The problem that people had with the ending originally was that they didn't seem to understand it, but the journey is really what matters in the game. It's a spooky tense ride.

VVVV
The story is fine, if a bit nonsensical but that makes sense once the plot develops. People just had odd expectations of what the game was supposed to be, i.e. it's Mikami making a horror game so it's going to be Resident Evil 4 again.

I dunno, I guessed the plot twist rather early on because of something that practically spells it out if you examine all the notes. Maybe not every exact detail, but the general idea of the twist.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Oh good, I just got Evil Within and was gonna poke my head in here to see if people were talking about it. I'm at the third chapter right now and I still don't really *get* the gameplay. Should I be fighting enemies or just ignoring them and running away? I'm hoping that the design will start to cohere a little better once I get the crossbow thing, right now everything feels very clunky, for lack of a better word. The dialogue doesn't really hit the B-movie charm of RE4 either, which is a shame.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oldpainless posted:

soma is about a billion times better than evil within.

as a horror game i mean.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 2, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fuligin posted:

Oh good, I just got Evil Within and was gonna poke my head in here to see if people were talking about it. I'm at the third chapter right now and I still don't really *get* the gameplay. Should I be fighting enemies or just ignoring them and running away? I'm hoping that the design will start to cohere a little better once I get the crossbow thing, right now everything feels very clunky, for lack of a better word. The dialogue doesn't really hit the B-movie charm of RE4 either, which is a shame.

The script in general lacks personality, to the point that I can't believe the same person was involved in both Resident Evil 4 and Shadows of the Damned. The DLC is a little better with this. I think they were going for something like the earlier Nightmare on Elm Street movies and earlier Clive Barker works and comics where the characters are a bit hazy in general and things are more dreamlike with the constantly changing environments. It's still good, but since said new environments have to be loaded up like a changing level anyway it doesn't really gel together like it would in a similarly executed film or comic book. The characters talking a bit more in general would help bridge that gap.

If it helps, in general before I got the crossbow and upgraded the shotgun a bit I would stealth as much as possible. It's definitely possible to lose enemies if there's even just a couple of corners you can get around or something to hide in after being out of line of site even briefly.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 2, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

al-azad posted:

I just want to recommend Corpse of Discovery. It's a "walking game" where you're an astronaut exploring a planet and completing simple objectives. It's not a traditional horror but it has the same atmosphere and mood of encroaching dread and isolation that 70s sci-fi had. The best I can describe it is the opening 30 minutes of Alien where it's these sweeping shots of a truly alien planet mixed with the man and AI drama of 2009's Moon. It goes on for a little longer than it should but you can complete it in a 2-3 hour sitting.

The game came out poorly optimized with zero fanfare but at $3 I highly recommend it. It's one of the neatest science fiction games I've played in a while and if it had a little more budget and polish it could've been something everyone would be talking about.
You sold me on this, I just finished it. Putting it in the walking game category sells it a little short I feel, there's a quickness and fluidity to the movement, especially when you get the jetpack and start putting it to use it's kinda fun boosting around the different environments, and there is always a clear objective you can get to at whatever pace you want. There is a lot of repetition and it does take some time to get going, though, so you have to stick with it a while to really get to the heart of the game.

It was also unexpectedly really funny in places. Make sure you find Not-Matthew McConaughey and Not-Chris Rock.

Thanks for the recommendation, I would have never known of this game.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I absolutely hated The Evil Within when I first played it since I had preconceptions about what it was. It's really sloppy in parts and the combat is kind of bad at the start before you get enough upgrades to really hold your own. The trick is realizing that being spotted if you are stealthing is completely fine, you just have new parameters to deal with and need to react accordingly, kind of like the last of us. A lot of stealth horror games paint being found as like a fail state and in evil within it just adds a layer to your problems (which is weird since the intro focuses SO HEAVILY on stealth that it sets you up pretty hard for the rest of the game to be that). I think around chapter 4 the game was starting to click and by whatever chapter the mansion was in I was having a good time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SOMA is pretty fun so far, I’m liking it more than I expected. I can’t help but compare it to Amnesia, but in a lot of ways that works in its favour. Amnesia has a total of one enemy type (who can be completely ignored by holding a drawer in front of your face) and imo the game is much, much better before you encounter enemies. After the first terrifying encounter or two, it’s just “oh, there’s one of those things wandering about”.

SOMA strips back on a lot of gameplay elements – no resource management, for one – in favour of a more “walking simulator” kinda thing, which isn’t usually the sort of thing I’m into and usually works against horror, but for some reason I find the monsters really loving terrifying. The teleporting dude on the CURIE, the weird blind mole people at Theta, even the numerous forced chase sequences – in theory incredibly obnoxious – have my heart racing. It works a lot better than I think it really should, basically, but it’s definitely a play-once-and-you’re-done thing – and since it doesn’t seem like it’ll be longer than eight hours or so, that’s not great value for the current price.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fuligin posted:

The early chapters should have you stealth around enemies and try to eliminate them silently because you just don't have the ammo or the upgrades to play it like a gung ho action game. Once you've got yourself a few upgrades with the goo, then you can be more liberal in the use of weapons and the last chapters are basically all action.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

SOMA strips back on a lot of gameplay elements – no resource management, for one – in favour of a more “walking simulator” kinda thing, which isn’t usually the sort of thing I’m into and usually works against horror, but for some reason I find the monsters really loving terrifying. The teleporting dude on the CURIE, the weird blind mole people at Theta, even the numerous forced chase sequences – in theory incredibly obnoxious – have my heart racing. It works a lot better than I think it really should, basically, but it’s definitely a play-once-and-you’re-done thing – and since it doesn’t seem like it’ll be longer than eight hours or so, that’s not great value for the current price.
I'm loving SOMA, but they really need to rethink their stealth mechanics for their next title. The lowest point for me was when there was this large area with so much well-implemented "environmental storytelling" to look through, except every 40 seconds the rear end in a top hat monster would shamble in to interrupt whatever you were doing and make you point the camera at the wall and read twitter on your phone again until you were allowed to continue.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I wound up putting God Mode and Debug Mode on for SOMA, which effectively makes the monsters deaf and blind. Not because I'm a big baby (okay I am but that's besides the point) but because I was so invested in the storytelling that I didn't want to be bothered. The game is still spooky as all get out because it's the environment and the storytelling that's the real horror in the game. I honestly think the monsters are just there to avoid the "walking simulator" criticisms and unfortunately they detract from the game more than add to it. Excellent designs though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Penumbra: Black Plague still has the best Frictional stealth and it's weird that they've been regressing more and more with each title since

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Alien Isolation gave you a lot of options with regards to dealing with monsters, stealth and hiding... manipulating the environment to create fog from the vents, noises from alarm panels, your own smoke bombs or flares or noisemakers, etc... the ability to hide in lockers or under desks. You don't have any of that in SOMA, just "hide around corner and pray." Giving you something to do while cowering would be nicer.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

SOMA just distractingly ran like poo poo on my PC for whatever reason (gtx 760, core i5,16gb ram, ssd, @1080p). I had to play it on low settings for it to run smoothly. All I kept thinking about was how much better Alien Isolation looked.

I beat it and it was okay. Echoing the sentiments of the stealth being really lovely. I liked the story and the oppressive atmosphere. What broke my immersion a bit was that a bunch of the random stuff you see on walls and desks are just concept art for the game, which appear way too stylized.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Really liked the way the story unfolded in SOMA. The plot had me hooked the whole way through. Kinda underwhelmed by most of the monster, who were quite simple to manage. I started to see them as more of an annoyance than a terror.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I got Lakeview Cabin Collection based on Zombie Samurai's review. And while the first two chapters were kind of neat but the third one that just came out is kind of awful. After farting around for an hour or so without making much progress I looked up what I had to do, and the amount of obtuse adventure gamey nonsense you have to do to beat it is ridiculous. If the future content is going to be like that, I'm not sure I can recommend it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Isn't it only like 10$?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I don't think you ''get'' Lakeview Cabin.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I guess I don't because I didn't have much fun with it aside from initial messing around. Like seriously the puzzles in Chapter V are goddamn stupid. For example in one of the puzzles there's a doll head behind a picture in the living room of the first girls house that you have to get by throwing a football into it. Which would be okay if there was any indication at all that the picture had anything behind it at all and didn't look like just another one of the many background objects that don't do anything. And then once you have the doll assembled you have to make the brother and sister gently caress on the bed in front of the doll in order to summon a demon to attack the killer. How are you supposed to figure that poo poo out other than randomly doing a billion things everywhere until something happens? Is it a movie reference or something because that is way more obtuse than it should be.

FruitPunchSamurai fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 4, 2015

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I haven't played Part 5 yet, but getting people to bang is required to get a key in Part 3.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Soma is pretty cool, no way I could play it without a trainer to make me invisible to every monster except the one in the sunken ship.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

At least that puzzle is pretty obviously there. Like there's a key in a spot you can't reach and a bed right under it. So it made sense to make people have sex to get the key to fall off the shelf. Chapter V is completely different in that the puzzles are not very well telegraphed at all. So you just end up doing random stuff for an hour until you get bored.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The new movement options in Resident Evil (REmake) are loving great. It feels so good to move so freely about and it makes dodging zombies a lot easier to do--baiting their attacks and all that works much easier, and playing on the hardest difficulty keeps the challenge fair, since I die in three hits.

This makes me really really want this kind of fluid control applied to a new game in the RE style. Third person, fixed camera angles, with more spacious environments to take advantage of the better movement, faster enemies, etc. It'd be sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

At least that puzzle is pretty obviously there. Like there's a key in a spot you can't reach and a bed right under it. So it made sense to make people have sex to get the key to fall off the shelf. Chapter V is completely different in that the puzzles are not very well telegraphed at all. So you just end up doing random stuff for an hour until you get bored.

How many times have you died? Episode V has a unique death mechanic where you get clues to the puzzles when you die. For example, that doll head puzzle you mentioned? The first time I died, I ended up in a dilapidated room with a ghost pointing to that spot on the wall. I figured out what room it was from where the doors were positioned, and tried chucking things at the picture in the real world until I knocked it down.

You also get additional background on the killer and the overarching story in the death vignettes, so if you've been too good at staying alive, you're actually missing out on a big part of the episode.