Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I think beshear enacted the expansion by executive order, so all be in has to do is strike that. Of course that's going to lead to a lot of bureaucracy elimination which is probably harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spiffster posted:

Our mayor, Pete Buttigieg, won in a landslide victory of 80-20. :woop:

From what I heard democrats on the whole didn't do to shabby in Indiana tonight. Bloomington was a sweep for D, and even a few other cities like Anderson picked up New Democratic mayors.

I voted in the bloomington one and it was pretty much a Democratic sweet. Wasn't sure what to expect but the new Mayor says he wants to make regional fiber a thing so, you know, hoping that's the case

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

zoux posted:

Through what mechanism can the KY governor unilaterally rollback the Medicaid expansion?

Since Beshear essentially created it by executive order Bevin can undo it all. And he plans to ASAP when he gets in office. He's gonna tell the people that voted him in office to go gently caress themselves and go to the federal exchange. And the people will probably re-elect him in 2019 for it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

Through what mechanism can the KY governor unilaterally rollback the Medicaid expansion?

Medicaid expansion in KY was done through executive order and never passed the legislature. Bevin could revoke the executive order immediately if he wanted to. Same with KYnect.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

wilderthanmild posted:

Issue 1 Passed in ohio. Yay.
Does Ohio have to form the commission and make new districts right away, or can they wait until after the census?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

I think beshear enacted the expansion by executive order, so all be in has to do is strike that. Of course that's going to lead to a lot of bureaucracy elimination which is probably harder.

Yeah it seems like a tall order to accomplish through fiat. How popular is, ahem, Kynect?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In unrelated news that is relevant to something that came up in this thread a few weeks back... The culling begins at NatGeo (in order to make it profitable, of course).

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Medicaid expansion in KY was done through executive order and never passed the legislature. Bevin could revoke the executive order immediately if he wanted to. Same with KYnect.

I realize it's a pipedream, but is there theoretically some way to pressure the legislative to cement the XO before Bevin takes over?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

zoux posted:

Yeah it seems like a tall order to accomplish through fiat. How popular is, ahem, Kynect?

Polls extremely well. But the majority of counties that benefit from it most went strongly for Bevin.

https://twitter.com/ZandarVTS/status/661735091505266689 posted:

Pulaski County, KY. 17%+ uninsured before Kynect. Less than 5% after. Bevin won by 47 points.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

I voted in the bloomington one and it was pretty much a Democratic sweet. Wasn't sure what to expect but the new Mayor says he wants to make regional fiber a thing so, you know, hoping that's the case

What the hell is regional fiber? Never heard of anything like that before

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Spiffster posted:

usually means municipal fiber-to-the-home internet, potentially a great outcome

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Spiffster posted:

He's probably talking about regional fiber internet access.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Spiffster posted:

It's like municipal fiber. So instead of lovely comcast or time warner as an ISP, you get a city managed utility responsible for your internet connection.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Greatbacon posted:

I realize it's a pipedream, but is there theoretically some way to pressure the legislative to cement the XO before Bevin takes over?

If you can convince the Republican majority state Senate to make it a law before Bevin is sworn in, yes.

So, no.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spiffster posted:

Josh Lyman posted:

He's probably talking about regional fiber internet access.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/20/technology/innovation/chattanooga-internet/

This, pretty much

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mitt Romney posted:

Polls extremely well. But the majority of counties that benefit from it most went strongly for Bevin.

I know what the guy promised but Obama promised to close Guantanamo. He could do it for sure but increasing the rate of uninsured by double digits with the stroke of a pen is politically difficult.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

I know what the guy promised but Obama promised to close Guantanamo. He could do it for sure but increasing the rate of uninsured by double digits with the stroke of a pen is politically difficult.

Now, Kynect is just the online marketplace that allows them to buy health insurance? They can be rolled into the federal one, which although it had problems, still works. Right? Eliminating Kynect won't prevent the Kentuckians from accessing subsidized insurance.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
In less depressing news, democrats in Pennsylvania just swept all three supreme court vacancies that were up for grabs tonight, so that's really good news in terms of redistricting for the state. :woop:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
So with the anti-HERO landslide y'all should expect some seriously transphobic poo poo to be making its way to your ballots next year, cause it's worked real loving good

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well my trans nephew just moved to loving Utah, I'm sure he'll be fine there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

john bel edwards went down in defeat right

Runoff is in two and a half weeks, but the polls are showing that he's got the lead over Vitter right now.

http://theadvocate.com/news/acadiana/13877163-123/polls-democrat-edwards-leads-republican

Edwards leading Vitter 54 percent to 38 percent, 52 percent to Vitter’s 32 percent, and 52 percent to 40 percent.

Each of the three had a margin of error between 3.7 percent and 4.1 percent.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Jesus just let something not terrible happen this election, somewhere, please.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mitt Romney posted:

To elaborate: by median household income, 29 of the 100 poorest counties in america are in Kentucky. Such as:

Owsley County (MHI $15,800) - voted Bevin 71-27%
Clay County (MHI $16,200) - voted Bevin 71-27%
Martin County (MHI $18,200) - voted Bevin 73-24%
Knox County (MHI $18,300) - voted Bevin 67-30%

Some of this is accounted for by culture: the very poorest counties are concentrated in southeastern Kentucky, an area that has historically never voted Democratic even in the steepest landside elections.

But the Democrats also lost a ton of impoverished counties in traditionally-democratic areas of northeastern Kentucky and the western coal fields, such as Lewis County (MHI $22,000) and Lawrence County (MHI $21,600).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

The inalienable human right to hunt and fish is now enshrined in the Texas constitution.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Well let's see whether San Francisco votes in a sheriff that will send illegals back to ICE (probably) and to restrict Airbnb (probably not).

So yeah, everything will probably be terrible, but I guess I haven't heard anything bad out of Philadelphia or Seattle yet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well let's see whether San Francisco votes in a sheriff that will send illegals back to ICE (probably)

I guess first he'd have to find some residing in his county.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Even though this election year is looking to be as bad as 2014's, I feel a lot less lovely. Probably because I didn't drink this time around.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

odd year elections are the elections we drink ourselves to death and curse the world, mang. They're the crucible in which political nerds are forged. Steel your liver and scream into the void.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In good news:

• Seattle looks likely to pass its new public financing scheme. In votes tallied so far, Initiative 122 is winning, 60-40.
  • Kshama Sawant is likely to stay in office, but narrowly. She is currently leading her opponent 52-47.

Since Washington is all mail-in though, we won't know the final results for a while yet.

San Francisco will begin reporting on its races and measures in about 20 minutes (but this count will only include mail-in ballots).

EDIT:

computer parts posted:

I guess first he'd have to find some residing in his county.

Sexist, are we? The currently probable winner, Vicki Hennessy, is the former deputy who specifically intends to lift the "gag order" preventing SFPD from notifying ICE if any illegal immigrants are being released. So SF will go back to being one of those cities where ICE just sits outside the jail waiting to pick people up as they're released.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 4, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The gay-hating rear end in a top hat on the Columbia, SC city council got voted out, so that's a silver lining?

Of course he was only in office because he used to be a Democrat, then he caught the Republican Jesus halfway through his term.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVQjGGJVSXc

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I reside in Campbell County, KY.

Sorry, guys, I tried :smith:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Dems swept the Supreme Court vacancies in PA. This brings the numbers to 5-2 Democrat. This is important because, besides usual Supreme Court stuff, they also confirm the redistricting done by the General Assembly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mitt Romney posted:

It's real hard not to just straight up hope they all get loving Shingles but with numbers like that they probably won't learn anything. It's like coming home and punishing a dog four hours after it made a mess. They won't be able to connect the loving dots.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Abner Assington posted:

I reside in Campbell County, KY.

Sorry, guys, I tried :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

We're tough bastards. We'll hang on.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DemeaninDemon posted:

There were a fair amount of dudes posting about voting straight -D. That's a good start. Even Walt Minnicks better than the majority of Republican poo poo fucks who run.

Walt Minnick of Idaho? Funny coincidence, I interned with him in DC a few years ago.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Our school district in St. Louis got its funding proposition passed! :shobon:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Initial mail-in results from San Francisco have incumbent Mayor Ed Lee easily winning a second term. Vicki Hennessy is also leading the incumbent, Ross Mirkarimi, 64-29. Measure F, the measure which would have restricted Airbnb rentals, appears likely to go down to defeat, 39-61, as do plans to suspend market-rate development in the Mission District, 36-64.

So no good news there either (as expected).

These counts exclude in-person ballots, which won't be added to the count for another hour, so this is admittedly preliminary.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

We're tough bastards. We'll hang on.
:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I'm lucky enough to have some killer insurance through my work, but I fear for a lot of my friends who have insurance through Kynect, or my disabled brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Add Kshama Sawant to the list of people defeating Democrats tonight!

• Locked thread