Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgFJTEHLI
I like Nevermind the Buzzcocks because the host is basically expected to give celebrity guests as much poo poo as possible.

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPvYSJyNwdI

furthermore:

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

PittTheElder posted:

The best thing about it is that they've figured out that real game shows were bullshit. So instead of nonsense like @Midnight, where they inexplicably cling to the illusion of the game show format with short trivia responses, the BBC knows that all you really need to do is put a bunch of comedians in a room and let them talk to each other, and the "game" element is just the host throwing out a conversation topic.

Why don't they just do a knockoff of Whose Line Is It Anyway, then? It only very loosely has a game show format, and even then it's all played for laughs.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:mad:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

m2pt5 posted:

Why don't they just do a knockoff of Whose Line Is It Anyway, then? It only very loosely has a game show format, and even then it's all played for laughs.

Now this is some gaddamn tolling!

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

I laughed at this. Then, I wondered if you knew your own joke.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

Now this is some gaddamn tolling!

You mean troll. A toll is what you have to pay to cross me bridge. A toll is a toll, and a roll is a roll. And we we don't get no tolls, then we can't eat no rolls. (I wrote that meself.)

edit: and then I realized I forgot to copy all of this and just put it in my last post.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arx Monolith posted:

You mean troll. A toll is what you have to pay to cross me bridge. A toll is a toll, and a roll is a roll. And we we don't get no tolls, then we can't eat no rolls. (I wrote that meself.)

edit: and then I realized I forgot to copy all of this and just put it in my last post.

How about some sacramental whining?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

m2pt5 posted:

Its about time the Brits stole some TV from us for a change. A knock-off whose line is it anyway would be a good one

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
all i know is ya gotta pay the troll toll if you wish to enter a certain boy's hole

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robot Randy posted:

all i know is ya gotta pay the troll toll if you wish to enter a certain boy's hole

Contact Stephen Fry

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

Basically, yes. The BBC has a bazillion panel shows that are just a set-up for clever, witty people to say clever, witty things. Most of the panelists are technically comedians or other entertainers, but they seem to spend most of their time skipping from one show to another rather than actually performing anywhere.

It's not just the Beeb, panel shows are cheap and generally pretty entertaining so all the channels have them. The reason why you see the same people over and over again on them is they all have the same agent who happens to be a part-owner of Talkback and Endemol, the two companies that make most of those shows (there's a similar situation with stand-up television shows and Avalon, who have their own agency too).

I don't mind it so much because if it weren't for OTK desperately trying to get a new star some exposure, Simon Amstell would have never become host of NMTB and so we'd have never got this moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXOu4ePnMM8

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

FreudianSlippers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgFJTEHLI
I like Nevermind the Buzzcocks because the host is basically expected to give celebrity guests as much poo poo as possible.

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPvYSJyNwdI

furthermore:

The best example being Frankie Boyle vs the ex Destinys Child singer. She didn't have a clue what was going on. Never gets old.

http://youtu.be/Jo2aUWfzBfE

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

m2pt5 posted:

Hahahaha! Are you serious?

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Its about time the Brits stole some TV from us for a change. A knock-off whose line is it anyway would be a good one

Erm, it started in the UK

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Peh. Sounds like something our former colonial oppressors would say. :smug:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I was wondering what all the "woooosh" sounds coming from the direction of this thread were

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Erm, it started in the UK
:thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke::thejoke:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

Basically, yes. The BBC has a bazillion panel shows that are just a set-up for clever, witty people to say clever, witty things. Most of the panelists are technically comedians or other entertainers, but they seem to spend most of their time skipping from one show to another rather than actually performing anywhere.

If it's a steady paying gig that keeps throwing work at them, well, can you blame them?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If I could get a job that paid me to be clever and snarky I would never quit it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Solice Kirsk posted:

If I could get a job that paid me to be clever and snarky I would never quit it.

...because they'd fire you immediately?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

...because they'd fire you immediately?

No! Because.....umm.......damnit. Yeah, maybe.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

monkeytennis posted:

The best example being Frankie Boyle vs the ex Destinys Child singer. She didn't have a clue what was going on. Never gets old.

http://youtu.be/Jo2aUWfzBfE

I have no idea if she had any idea what she was getting into, but I don't think Frankie was as harsh to her as he was to some of the other people he's had a go at. c.f. Richard Hammond.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Taking the question seriously, improv comedy is a very different skill from the 'witty comment' brand of comedy found on most of these shows and a large amount of the regular faces wouldn't be any good.

Also improv isn't funny.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Looks like someone earned a nickname for life!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Those are huge undies.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnjGj3rx1N0&t=24s

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

veedubfreak posted:

Those are huge undies.

Well, apparently they get stretched out quite often.

Bonus joke: No ring 6/10

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

rear end-2-rear end-2-rear end

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

This is a reference to the database server, correct?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bunnyofdoom posted:

Rule #2 that famed scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis isn't really that hot

Yeah the rear end to rear end scene is the better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Frostwerks posted:

Yeah the rear end to rear end scene is the better.

That's generally true for all cinema. If we'd encoded that scene into a gold laserdisc instead of mathematical equations and Bach and Mozart and sent it off into space on the Voyager probe the aliens would have already contacted us by now.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I was wondering what all the "woooosh" sounds coming from the direction of this thread were

One thing is certain is that it is issuing from your flaccid butthole.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I felt kinda bad for that dude. He made the news recently and while I don't remember why, he was just called the "rear end to rear end man".

BEST KNOWN FOR HIS rear end TO rear end ROLE IN REQUIEM, etc.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I felt kinda bad for that dude. He made the news recently and while I don't remember why, he was just called the "rear end to rear end man".

BEST KNOWN FOR HIS rear end TO rear end ROLE IN REQUIEM, etc.

Bill Nye was in Requiem?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Keru posted:

Bill Nye was in Requiem?!

Yea, he played the other chick in the rear end to rear end scene.

• Locked thread