Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

When Plato gave Socrates's definition of man as "featherless bipeds" and was much praised for the definition, Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man." After this incident, "with broad flat nails" was added to Plato's definition.[23]

and thus, an entire field based on ill-defined terms and pedantic arguments was born

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

and thus, an entire field based on ill-defined terms and pedantic arguments was born

is pizza a sandwich? he contemplated gravely

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

syscall girl posted:

is pizza a vegetable? he contemplated gravely

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
if you eat a pulled pork taco for breakfast, is it a breakfast taco? how is the breakfastness of a taco determined? is it ingredients, or time of consumption?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Trig Discipline posted:

if you eat a pulled pork taco for breakfast, is it a breakfast taco? how is the breakfastness of a taco determined? is it ingredients, or time of consumption?

i think its eggs

eggs or bacon

if it has one or both its a breakfast taco

else its just a taco

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
idk man the chicken club taco at taco bell had bacon on it

poo poo's got me confused

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
chorizo is spanish for first-meal

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
fourth-meal is spanish for "please commit duii we won't do any talking if you're walking, up to the drive through"

seriously you have no customers and i can't come inside :argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

should I ask my taco bell mate

apparently there are two phases of day. breakfast and balance, as in,the balance of the day

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trig Discipline posted:

for non-taco restaurants, breakfast food is pork and eggs. rest-of-the-day-food is beef and chicken. if you start allowing pork at any time of the day, you upset the natural balance

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what? if there was any all day food it would be pork

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

spoken like a true pacific islander

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

echinopsis posted:

:agreed: tbh

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
diogenes rules

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction_fandom#Fans_are_slans

A.E. van Vogt's 1940 novel Slan was about a mutant variety of humans who are superior to regular humanity and are therefore hunted down and killed by the normal human population. While the story has nothing to do with fandom, many science fiction fans felt very close to the protagonists, feeling their experience as bright people in a mundane world mirrored that of the mutants; hence, the rallying cry, "Fans Are Slans!"; and the tradition that a building inhabited primarily by fans can be called a slan shack.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

prefect posted:

for non-taco restaurants, breakfast food is pork and eggs. rest-of-the-day-food is beef and chicken. if you start allowing pork at any time of the day, you upset the natural balance

cops, the other white meat

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction_fandom#Fans_are_slans

A.E. van Vogt's 1940 novel Slan was about a mutant variety of humans who are superior to regular humanity and are therefore hunted down and killed by the normal human population. While the story has nothing to do with fandom, many science fiction fans felt very close to the protagonists, feeling their experience as bright people in a mundane world mirrored that of the mutants; hence, the rallying cry, "Fans Are Slans!"; and the tradition that a building inhabited primarily by fans can be called a slan shack.

nerds. nerds never changes

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fandom#Women

So many single women left fan activities after getting married that one female fanzine editor speculated that the show was a substitute for sex.[1]:9,33 One scholar speculates that Kirk/Spock slash fiction is a way for women to "openly discuss sexuality in a non-judgmental manner."[51]:323

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

So many single women left fan activities after getting married that one female fanzine editor speculated that the show was a substitute for sex.

more precisely: a safe and convenient outlet for certain shy, inexperienced women to surround themselves with unthreatening men who lavish them with attention?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

this guy gets it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

more precisely: a safe and convenient outlet for certain shy, inexperienced women to surround themselves with unthreatening men who lavish them with attention?

i'd have thought most women would be too old for star trek fans

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek

A person with an appreciation for mathematics may be called a geek. Here, an approximation of the number π (pi) extends from the logo on a car parked at University of California, Irvine (although note that the last two digits have been transposed).

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

(although note that the last two digits have been transposed)
lol owned

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

cool biRd pics posted:

diogenes rules

diogenes fuckin rules anybody who says otherwise is a motherfucker

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

*shits and jerks off in public*

*leaves an indelible etch on philosophy*

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

My favorite piece of wiki cleverness is when there isn't enough data to get a sense of scale on Cetaceans

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Spaced God posted:

My favorite piece of wiki cleverness is when there isn't enough data to get a sense of scale on Cetaceans

ehheheheheheh

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i hope nobody ever changes that unless a cetacean is provided.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Spaced God posted:

how do the wikilords suffer that to exist

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spaced God posted:

:golfclap:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Night in the Woods is an upcoming single-playeradventure video game for Microsoft Windows, OS X,Linux, and PlayStation 4.

Story

Mae, an only child, has returned home to Possum Springs, where times have changed since the closing of its coal mines. Now living in her parents' attic, she discovers she possesses certain paranormal abilities, and uncovers a dark mystery that leads her into the nearby woods. Mae's friends include Bea, a cigarette-smoking alligator; Mae's best friend Gregg, a fox; and Gregg's partner, a bear named Angus. Paste describes the themes covered as "mental illness, depression, the stagnancy of the middle and lower classes, and the slow death of small town America."[6]

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk

bertolt rekt posted:

diogenes fuckin rules anybody who says otherwise is a motherfucker

quote:

Influences
Antisthenes, Socrates, Dogs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pro-Life (born Marvin Thomas Richardson; August 5, 1941) is an Idaho politician and organic strawberry farmer known for his strong opposition to abortion, which inspired him to change his name.[3] He lives in the unincorporated community of Letha, Idaho.[4] He has made several unsuccessful runs for political office in Idaho and has been labeled a perennial candidate.[5] Having stated his intention to continue running for office until his death,[3][6] Pro-Life was most recently a candidate in the 2014 Idaho gubernatorial election.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
for about an eighth of a second i thought i was reading about a racehorse

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
One year later, Charlie and Jessie are married and sell their new shampoo, Frankie and his men have been imprisoned for life, which Sal has failed at avoiding. Louis is Charlie's advertising partner. As for the kangaroo (called Kangaroo Jack), he is still hopping around the outback.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The following is a list of last words attributed to various fictional characters in webcomics. Characters are listed according to source (i.e. the originating webcomic), then the name of character the quote is attributed to (in case of more than one quote per source). Where quotes come from a series of texts, they are organised in the order of the texts they appeared in . Where possible, for the purposes of clarification, further explanatory notes have been presented. Additionally, if a character's final words consist of a dialogue with the other characters, the other character's speech may be included for contextual purposes; for example, if one character asks a question that the one who is about to die answers.

Some characters may have more than one "death," in instances such as being resurrected, or existing temporarily as an undead being. In some of those instances, their last words from each "death" may be added if they are significant. Additionally, significant last words from deaths that are merely assumed to have happened or are non-canon are included. Additionally, in instances where there are multiple outcomes, or in media with alternate timelines, the character's last words will be featured.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

The following is a list of last words attributed to various fictional characters in webcomics. Characters are listed according to source (i.e. the originating webcomic), then the name of character the quote is attributed to (in case of more than one quote per source). Where quotes come from a series of texts, they are organised in the order of the texts they appeared in . Where possible, for the purposes of clarification, further explanatory notes have been presented. Additionally, if a character's final words consist of a dialogue with the other characters, the other character's speech may be included for contextual purposes; for example, if one character asks a question that the one who is about to die answers.

Some characters may have more than one "death," in instances such as being resurrected, or existing temporarily as an undead being. In some of those instances, their last words from each "death" may be added if they are significant. Additionally, significant last words from deaths that are merely assumed to have happened or are non-canon are included. Additionally, in instances where there are multiple outcomes, or in media with alternate timelines, the character's last words will be featured.

congratulations

you won

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Nah, the wikianimals cant be beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_creation/Redirects#Redirect_request:_trash_panda makes me very happy