Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

So much minigun ammo wasted trying to kill that kid :(

She's the best VA i've heard so far, though I like the sound of Preston's voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

She's the best VA i've heard so far, though I like the sound of Preston's voice

She really gave a great delivery when she said "huh?" over and over again every time the player spoke to her. She made it sound exactly the same every time she said it which was impressive.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

She really gave a great delivery when she said "huh?" over and over again every time the player spoke to her. She made it sound exactly the same every time she said it which was impressive.

lol

RUDE ROBOT
Feb 19, 2013

What the heck the RELATIONSHIP dialogue with Codsworth about? Do I even want to know?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
This streamer is afraid of water, pipes and green mushroom sea monsters.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
So this is supposed to be 200 years after the bombs fell? There doesn't seem to be any semblance of civilization at all its as if the bombs fell last week and everybody is still in the eating beans in the woods immediate survival phase. I liked the setting in New Vegas where civilization had found a way and moved on best it could a lot better.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Post-post-apocalypse is kinda boring to a lot of people (myself included). The fun of a post-apocalyptic scenario is the every-man-for-himself kinda world on fire stuff. Normally this would be fine is Bethesda didn't have some weird fixation about never doing prequels. So they want to have their cake and eat it too, by setting each game further into the future but still thinking it's sensible to retain the more lawless world state.

On the other hand, it's a video game so I don't actually give a drat. Didn't care about the lack of farms in Fallout 3 either.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Also here's a video of someone walking across the entire game map in 11 minutes real time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LxwyJq920Q

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Bethesda is bad at time scales, look at TES for a good example. Skyrim takes place 200 years after Oblivion and their excuse as to why all the forts / towers are still deserted ruins is that the oblivion crisis wrecked everything. I guess 2 centuries isn't enough time to slap some stone into a couple of holes in a wall and replace a wooden floorboard or two

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Why are there so many feral ghouls when they are the most boring enemy in Fallout?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Why are there so many feral ghouls when they are the most boring enemy in Fallout?
Bethesda loves them and it loves mentally handicapped supermutants

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Wonder if we will see an HD texture pack for the PC release like we did for Skyrim?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Infinity Gaia posted:

Post-post-apocalypse is kinda boring to a lot of people (myself included). The fun of a post-apocalyptic scenario is the every-man-for-himself kinda world on fire stuff. Normally this would be fine is Bethesda didn't have some weird fixation about never doing prequels. So they want to have their cake and eat it too, by setting each game further into the future but still thinking it's sensible to retain the more lawless world state.

On the other hand, it's a video game so I don't actually give a drat. Didn't care about the lack of farms in Fallout 3 either.

Mad Max 4, this was boring to you?

The Droid posted:

Bethesda loves them and it loves mentally handicapped supermutants

I like zombies and orcs too, so hey, I can't blame them

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The guy just deliberately turned off the menus with 'tm off' in the console, and then noticed that his menus weren't working and restarted the game. How is he so dumb?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Actually, a post-post apocalypse game is amazing because it lets you see how nations are born and grow, such as when the Neo USA, ridiculously evil Homicidal Football Slavers, and Cyborg Computer Dude all fought a three-way over a small strip of Vegas and Hoover Dam. Post-post apocalypse is what actually good writers go for. :goonsay:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Effectronica posted:

Mad Max 4, this was boring to you?

I like zombies and orcs too, so hey, I can't blame them

Mad Max 4 wasn't post-post-apocalypse, that poo poo was still post-apocalypse as gently caress.

Also I'm too drunk and lazy to quote the other guy but I don't give a gently caress what actual good writers go for I'd rather have a more chaotic post-apoc experience in my videogame. I don't play videogames for the good writing, I play them so I can shoot raiders in the face. I'm of the opinion New Vegas had far too few raiders to shoot in the face, compared to Fallout 3.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

closeted republican posted:

Actually, a post-post apocalypse game is amazing because it lets you see how nations are born and grow, such as when the Neo USA, ridiculously evil Homicidal Football Slavers, and Cyborg Computer Dude all fought a three-way over a small strip of Vegas and Hoover Dam. Post-post apocalypse is what actually good writers go for. :goonsay:

this, but without the goonsay because its right

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Mad Max 4 wasn't post-post-apocalypse, that poo poo was still post-apocalypse as gently caress.

Also I'm too drunk and lazy to quote the other guy but I don't give a gently caress what actual good writers go for I'd rather have a more chaotic post-apoc experience in my videogame. I don't play videogames for the good writing, I play them so I can shoot raiders in the face. I'm of the opinion New Vegas had far too few raiders to shoot in the face, compared to Fallout 3.

All video game writing is poo poo, even Games and Reddit darlings Witcher 3 and New Vegas. Instead of raging when video games don't have comic book-level writing, just enjoy the actual gameplay.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

closeted republican posted:

All video game writing is poo poo, even Games and Reddit darlings Witcher 3 and New Vegas. Instead of raging when video games don't have comic book-level writing, just enjoy the actual gameplay.

the gameplay is also better, in fallout new vegas

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Also here's a video of someone walking across the entire game map in 11 minutes real time:

How long did it take to cross Skyrim's map?

I mean it's hard to say since the mountains make it larger. But yeah that kind of looks awful.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Infinity Gaia posted:

So's New Vegas, then, you loving idiot. Jesus. Learn how to apply inane subgenres like "post-post-apocalypse", "atompunk", "pulp", etc. properly.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

This game just seems like it is unfinished. Watching him do that entire run it just felt so lifeless and like an unfinished game.

Here is the new stream if anyone care:

http://cybergame.tv/vidyastream

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Archonex posted:

How long did it take to cross Skyrim's map?

I mean it's hard to say since the mountains make it larger. But yeah that kind of looks awful.

That's... that's it? Entire map slashed in half in 11 minutes?

This is terribly depressing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Effectronica posted:

So's New Vegas, then, you loving idiot. Jesus. Learn how to apply inane subgenres like "post-post-apocalypse", "atompunk", "pulp", etc. properly.

Post-nega-ironically agreeing with you my fellow post-post-post-post-post-apocalypse genre lover.

Edit: also here's a time-lapse video of someone walking across Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXdzpXOrnbc

Note that this doesn't mean QUITE as much as it may seem since they seem to be literally only WALKING (not even running) across it and need to circumvent a bunch of mountains and poo poo along the way unlike the mostly straightforward Fallout 4 path, which also has sprinting going on. Still, Skyrim definitely seems much larger at first glance.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 4, 2015

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Dude just fought a wild dog, took like a minute for him to finish it off and the dog attacked once in that. Mostly ran around in a circle around the main character.

:3:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Otacon posted:

Yeah, it was one thing to see how small it was in the Pipboy map, but to actually see it demonstrated like that is pretty depressing. As more stuff gets leaked it just becomes clearer and clearer to me that this game needed more time in the oven, like XCOM2.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
oh cool, he is being attacked by multiple "Legendary" monsters and taking no damage at all ... he also has infinite ammo with a minigun and doesnt have power armor ... is cheating?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Yeah he is cheating. Stream is over.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Meowbot posted:

oh cool, he is being attacked by multiple "Legendary" monsters and taking no damage at all ... he also has infinite ammo with a minigun and doesnt have power armor ... is cheating?
Yes.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Haha literal invisible walls at the map border.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This streamer has used the console to give himself infinite HP and ammo and is just sprinting around minigunning down huge crab things right now

E: what the gently caress there's a HUGE invisible wall - he's just running up against thin air with a 'You cannot go that way' message appearing onscreen

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

Haha literal invisible walls at the map border.

havent you ever heard of the infamous invisible walls forests of massachusetts?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bardeh posted:

E: what the gently caress there's a HUGE invisible wall - he's just running up against thin air with a 'You cannot go that way' message appearing onscreen

There has been in every Bethesda game since Oblivion, so that's not super surprising

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

There has been in every Bethesda game since Oblivion, so that's not super surprising

:shrug: Why not build a mountain, or a fence, or a poisonous fog that incapacitates you, or make it so radioactive that you die if you go there? Anything would be better than a huge invisible wall, surely?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
man, the way power armour works actually looks pretty interesting, way better than it just being a another piece of clothing. also a fan of the individual armour pieces

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bardeh posted:

:shrug: Why not build a mountain, or a fence, or a poisonous fog that incapacitates you, or make it so radioactive that you die if you go there? Anything would be better than a huge invisible wall, surely?

Who cares? you're never gonna be rubbing up against it unless you go out of your way to find it

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Who cares? you're never gonna be rubbing up against it unless you go out of your way to find it

It's not good that all these counterpoints to flawed design decisions boil down to reductionist arguments that it's poo poo who cares just eat the poo poo.

Game looking adequate as what it is aside, it's not cool to have to defend a games flaws from the perspective of a boorish dullard who wants to fire a machine gun endlessly into waves of mutant mud crabs or whatever.

Shaquin fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 4, 2015

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shaquin posted:

It's not good that all these counterpoints to flawed design decisions boil down to reductionist arguments that it's poo poo who cares just eat the poo poo.

It's not a design flaw.... every open world game has invisible walls. Witcher 3???

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Otacon posted:

Yep, the game is only 22 minutes long, good job getting the scoop on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Shaquin posted:

Game looking adequate as what it is aside, it's not cool to have to defend a games flaws from the perspective of a boorish dullard who wants to fire a machine gun endlessly into waves of mutant mud crabs or whatever.

How exactly is a poisonous fog or a fence better than just a message that says there's no more game in that direction? :confused: It serves the exact same purpose except one doesn't make the distance look stupid/kill you if you wander into the wrong place

• Locked thread