Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
advokat
Nov 17, 2012

John Allison posted:

It's my birthday today. And to my horror, I find that it's also Desmond Fishman's birthday. I genuinely had no idea this was the case. Here's his first appearance, on October 20th, 2006.

Oh sure, sure. I think the Mystery of the Recurring Fishman is now solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

advokat posted:

Oh sure, sure. I think the Mystery of the Recurring Fishman is now solved.

Are you suggesting John Allison is Literally Desmond Fishman?

My god.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Once, young Johnny Allison was bitten by a terrible character.

Now, when the moon is full...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Naw, this is just reintroducing Des so he can come back and save his mate Daz from the loan shark. Daz will trade Des to Si, and Si can use him for collecting deadbeat loans on the basis that he is extremely annoying and creepy. Everybody wins.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

And following on from The Further Adventures of Desmond Fishman we appear to have a comic about public pools.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Pretty sure this is one of the other storylines Allison had floating around when asking what to choose for New Year's content: "more Bobbins, but Tim Jones dies".

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Do people like Bobbins? Do you need to have read it from the beginning to get it? I've always skimmed over Bobbins weekends.

Destroy History is okay though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, what a surprise, the Desmond Fishman story was bad and pointless, much like the character. I'd have preferred for Destroy History to continue.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This scene was funny, though.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Esme posted:

Do people like Bobbins? Do you need to have read it from the beginning to get it? I've always skimmed over Bobbins weekends.

Destroy History is okay though.

New Bobbins started off as a joke of sorts; Allison once had the idea of making some new strips set in the Old Bobbins era of the late '90s/early aughts. He quickly dropped the idea, but kept the Bobbins name to focus on characters that had fallen out of focus. If you haven't read Scary Go Round, that may cut into your ability to understand New Bobbins strips since most of the cast members are legacy characters. Into the Woods was a pure New Bobbins storyline that was pretty well-received.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I haven't ever read any of the original Bobbins strips, though I went through all of Scarygoround. I liked the new bobbins strips.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Leroy Dennui posted:

New Bobbins started off as a joke of sorts; Allison once had the idea of making some new strips set in the Old Bobbins era of the late '90s/early aughts. He quickly dropped the idea, but kept the Bobbins name to focus on characters that had fallen out of focus. If you haven't read Scary Go Round, that may cut into your ability to understand New Bobbins strips since most of the cast members are legacy characters. Into the Woods was a pure New Bobbins storyline that was pretty well-received.
I cant even find it on his website

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Jackard posted:

I cant even find it on his website

Not 100% sure what you're referring to; hope it's one of these links.
New Bobbins main page
Start of Into the Woods
Scary Go Round (Allison needs to do some server maintenance on this one :( )

(old and side projects are in a box on the middle of the front page on the right side)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
thanks, just wanted to see Rich die again

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I can kind of sort of piece this together contextually, but why is dude losing his wristband bad?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

howe_sam posted:

I can kind of sort of piece this together contextually, but why is dude losing his wristband bad?

His stuff is locked in a locker and he needs the wristband to open it. I imagine it has a key attached or something like that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Leospeare posted:

His stuff is locked in a locker and he needs the wristband to open it. I imagine it has a key attached or something like that.

Yep. Is this not how public pools work in other countries?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm far enjoying this story more than the last one. It's pretty mundane but it makes it so the more human.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yep. Is this not how public pools work in other countries?
I'm used to locker rooms where you bring your own lock.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

howe_sam posted:

I'm used to locker rooms where you bring your own lock.

What? Do you mean you carry a padlock around with you at all times?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What? Do you mean you carry a padlock around with you at all times?
With the gymbag that might be holding your clothes?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

A cautionary tale

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Watch, we're all laughing at this guy and he's trying to get custody of his child at 2 or something.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Watch, we're all laughing at this guy and he's trying to get custody of his child at 2 or something.

If you're meeting someone called Allied Conglomerates regarding the custody of your child, something has definitely gone horribly wrong.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
i do not care about this nerd and his meeting get back to lottie and her friends they are way more interesting tia

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This irresponsible gently caress. He spends a whole week of my time panicking because he's gonna be late for his meeting but then he decides to put it off because his dick is hungry.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I quite fancy the younger version of Shauna's mum.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

What is even with those ridiculous burgers they have to hold together with skewers, anyway? Who decided that was a good idea?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm amused Lottie and Nancy Drew actually found the standard nerd that is Shauna's dad. That's a feat all right when they had absolutely no info at all.

Dangerous Person posted:

This irresponsible gently caress. He spends a whole week of my time panicking because he's gonna be late for his meeting but then he decides to put it off because his dick is hungry.

That's good pathos. He just survived drowning and being mangled by The Grate. Cute girl shows up again. Of course that puts things into perspective.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Saoshyant posted:

I'm amused Lottie and Nancy Drew actually found the standard nerd that is Shauna's dad. That's a feat all right when they had absolutely no info at all.

I had to trawl back through the comic to find the one panel where Shauna's mum offhandedly mentions his name.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Am I the only one who doesn't trust this guy at all?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

That's good pathos. He just survived drowning and being mangled by The Grate. Cute girl shows up again. Of course that puts things into perspective.

Alternate interpretation: he didn't survive and everything after getting sucked into The Grate was his dying dream.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think it's supposed to be heartwarming, and it kind of is, but this just makes me apprehensive and worried.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The shocking twist is going to be everything turning out well.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fangz posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't trust this guy at all?

Probably yeah? I mean, nothing he's saying here seems particularly inconsistent with what we already knew. Shauna's mum didn't seem to harbor any ill will towards him when Mildred tried to pump her for information, so his story seems plausible enough thus far.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Fangz posted:

I am honestly half-expecting this. This set-up is just too convenient.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Fangz posted:

It might get a bit shaky-there's still Daz's debt, and while it seems Shauna is rubbing off on Blossom, their friendship hasn't been tested.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

oh my god :allears:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm the awkwardly forcing a big smile priest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bell_ posted:

It might get a bit shaky-there's still Daz's debt

I'm always amazed loan sharks like get away with it in real life. You think they'd experience an "accident" of some sort sooner rather than later, considering the sort of circles they run and the people they must invariable piss off either directly or by messing with someone they know.

There's still time for him to get eaten by something terrible like a hell bear, though.

• Locked thread