Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Doesn't the best game to ever exist (witcher) also do dialog where you just pick two or three word replies and then he says something different too?

is admittedly better than HATE NEWSPAPER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The problem is that a effective condensed dialogue interface requires more effort on he developers part and not less.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Deus ex literally had the same 4 option thing.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
At least making a Hulk mod will be pretty easy. You only have to skip the player dialogue and jump straight to the NPC response, for example.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bholder posted:

HATE PURITY FIRST

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Gotta admit... voiced dialogue is cool for Geralt but really lame for faceless wasteland wanderer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bholder posted:

And it was bad there?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I figured it out: You are actually a Super Mutant and the dialogue choices are what you are actually saying, everything else including your appearance is just in your head!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

And it was bad there?

I never asked for this

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Slugnoid posted:

Why? It doesn't seem like the character is saying "hate newspaper", it seems like an option for you the player to click to have the character take the opinion that he hates newspapers.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
HATE READING.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why? It doesn't seem like the character is saying "hate newspaper", it seems like an option for you the player to click to have the character take the opinion that he hates newspapers.

It's succinct to the point of obscuring the actual intent.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's, judging from the examples we have seen, inconsistent garbage that will make it difficult to make reasonable dialogue choices, and probably will also have percentile chances or other horseshit too.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Gather around the campfire kids...

Once upon a time, we could choose what our characters would say in Fallout.

Then they improved it so we had less control of our characters.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Leinadi posted:

Gather around the campfire kids...

Once upon a time, we could choose what our characters would say in Fallout.

Then they improved it so we had less control of our characters.

... but you still choose what your character would say in Fallout 4...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danaru posted:

HATE PURITY FIRST

DIDN'T ASK

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Bholder posted:

... but you still choose what your character would say in Fallout 4...

Well, you can guess at least.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I love the chastising in this thread. "It's a Bethesda game, OF COURSE the dialogue is terrible. We knew it would be anyways."

Yea well good and interesting dialogue trees were one of the things I loved about the other games. I'd rather have that in a Fallout game than a Minecraft base.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

:gas:

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Slugnoid posted:

HATE SEX

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

can't wait for todd howards fallout 4 to spray fart in all these haters faces

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Leinadi posted:

Well, you can guess at least.

But that's still doesn't mean less options.

Mantis42 posted:

I love the chastising in this thread. "It's a Bethesda game, OF COURSE the dialogue is terrible. We knew it would be anyways."

Yea well good and interesting dialogue trees were one of the things I loved about the other games. I'd rather have that in a Fallout game than a Minecraft base.

You are 7 years too late with this complaint.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Have any nerds figured out what the voiced names are yet

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Bholder posted:

But that's still doesn't mean less options.

But... it's limited to four (guesswork) options now?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a nude mod yet

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

personally I wonder what HATE NEWSPAPERS could mean

cause man this is some vague poo poo here, what will the character possibly say if i choose that option?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

cause man this is some vague poo poo here, what will the character possibly say if i choose that option?

On the other hand... gently caress man, reading a full dialogue option is so goddamn hard, it hurts my brain. I'm glad Bethesda has removed that from the game so I won't have to strugge with knowing exactly what my character should say anymore. Truly an improvement for RPGs.

EDIT: Maybe for Fallout 5 we could just choose a personality type at the start of the game and remove the actual dialogue options completely for maximum immersion and cinematic quality.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i really really need to know every word my character might say it's really loving important to me for reasons

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Leinadi posted:

It's the exact same thing pretty much all dialog heavy games do now. mass effect, life is strange, walking dead, witcher.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Leinadi posted:

Usually you don't need more and if you do, you can always play around with "More questions" options and such

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Let's be fair. Although picking SARCASTIC? could mean lots of different things, and contextual clues are unlikely to provide much insight, this is Bethesda, so you can be sure it'll be embarrassing to hear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NecroMonster posted:

A diatribe at length about John Fallout's disdain for the New York Times, specifically.

quote:

On the other hand... gently caress man, reading a full dialogue option is so goddamn hard, it hurts my brain. I'm glad Bethesda has removed that from the game so I won't have to strugge with knowing exactly what my character should say anymore. Truly an improvement for RPGs.

Witcher and Mass Effect did it, so it seems to me you're angry at the wrong company.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

i really really need to know every word my character might say it's really loving important to me for reasons

You know, it IS drat important for me. I'm just weird in that way that I want to choose what my character wants to say in my RPGs. Especially in a series that traditionally used to do this.

quote:

It's the exact same thing pretty much all dialog heavy games do now. mass effect, life is strange, walking dead, witcher.

Yep, and funny thing... in those games you mentioned you all play a set character. Whereas Fallout is (well, used to BE) about creating a character of your own.

quote:

Usually you don't need more and if you do, you can always play around with "More questions" options and such

You usually don't need them because Bethesda sets the bar for dialogue this way. There are plenty of games (previous Fallouts included!) that provide plenty more dialogue options, all nicely lined up for maximum readability.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I thanked Sheogorath repeatedly Obshittydian won't be able to ruin the Falloutxperience with immersion, lore, and dialogue like "guess you're 'chip' outta luck" that goes against the core of Fallout, as established by Fallout 3, the first game in the series..

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Whereas Fallout is (well, used to BE) about creating a character of your own.

You still do that though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope the mod that eventually gives you back full dialogue trees is called HATE NEWSPAPERS

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

You still do that though.

Actually, I create a lunatic with a deep emotional attachment to a plastic, legless doll that he pretends is a baby. No matter what I do, I can't escape that fact, and it is much more defining than in nonexistent games like FO1 and 2.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm make a tall blond lady with her hair back in a pony tail who runs around shooting energy weapons at stuff and just talking loving constantly about the baby

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
can people please try and be positive. so much negativity all the time turns you into unhappy husks. not fun at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Leinadi posted:

You know, it IS drat important for me. I'm just weird in that way that I want to choose what my character wants to say in my RPGs. Especially in a series that traditionally used to do this.
But you still do!

Leinadi posted:

You usually don't need them because Bethesda sets the bar for dialogue this way. There are plenty of games (previous Fallouts included!) that provide plenty more dialogue options, all nicely lined up for maximum readability.

Not really, most of the time you get 2-3 options, including the "goodbye" option.

Leinadi posted:

Yep, and funny thing... in those games you mentioned you all play a set character. Whereas Fallout is (well, used to BE) about creating a character of your own.

Effectronica posted:

Actually, I create a lunatic with a deep emotional attachment to a plastic, legless doll that he pretends is a baby. No matter what I do, I can't escape that fact, and it is much more defining than in nonexistent games like FO1 and 2.
And in those non-existent games you create a lunatic who is on a quest to save their own people while saying pre-determined lines to NPCs.

Oh you can choose witch pre-determined lines you say, that is oh so different in Fallout 4 where these pre-determined lines are voiced.

(Let us completely ignore the parts where the PC speaks without any prompt outside the dialogue screen, since it happened in the first 2 games that doesn't exist)

• Locked thread