Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

The Three Doctors is the best multi doctor serial the show has ever put out in my opinion.

In my opinion The Curse of Peladon is the best Peladon story the show has ever put out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Terror of the Vervoids is the best Pip and Jane story the show has ever put out in my opinion

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Short Synopsis: The 6th Doctor and Evelyn go looking for a beagle and find a lizard.

Long Synopsis: The Doctor decides to give Evelyn a treat by taking her to meet Charles Darwin during his visit to the Galapagos Islands. Darwin's burgeoning Theory on Natural Selection runs into a speed-bump when they meet a small group of Silurians determined to wipe out most of humanity and turn the survivors into a source of food. Darwin's faith in both religion and science are tested, while the Doctor does his best to shake the rock-solid beliefs of the Silurian leader.

What's Good:
  • Science & Faith. A recurring element throughout the story is Darwin's struggles to reconcile his observations/deductions of the world with his faith in God and the Church. He firmly believes that man was created whole in God's image, that the world is 6000 years old, that everything that exists was created and placed there by a divine being. Throughout the story, he uses Evelyn as a kind of sounding board as he ponders the things he sees on the Galapagos Islands, the subtle variations in species that seem to have been shaped by their environment. Evelyn is careful not to push him or show off her own future knowledge (at one point she makes a comment on "Survival of the Fittest" and Darwin's response is hilarious) but to allow him to work things out for himself. So when Darwin encounters the Silurians and learns things about mankind's development, this crisis of faith becomes even more pronounced and allows for a very strong moment of decision for Darwin during the big climactic showdown. At no point is faith shown as in any way a weaker or less desirable thing to have, the issue for Darwin is not that he rejects his faith, but that he finds the strength to accept where the science has lead him.

• Colin Baker. As the Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker is as usual in fine form and does his best to elevate the script. Whether starting off playful as he teases Evelyn with her surprise, or his choice of pseudonym, the early parts of the story see a Doctor very much having a good time and happily drinking in the history. Then when he encounters the rather harsh treatment of inhabitants of the island, he becomes the caring and helpful Doctor who attempts to lend a sympathetic ear to the victims while offering a frowning face to the institgator. Once the Silurians show-up he goes from desperately scrambling to prevent a war (ala Pertwee) to gaining the measure of the main villain and figuring out the best way to goad and taunt him into slipping up and making mistakes. The story requires a fair range from the Doctor as the lead, and he easily delivers on it, he's a pleasure to listen to. He even manages to do a good job of making a reference to this loving thing that makes it feel like a scary/daunting thing and not an absolute joke.

What's Not:

• The accents. Oh my God the accents :stare:. There are two supporting characters in this story who are meant to represent the downtrodden, victimized "lower" class inhabiting the Galapagos Islands. They are meant to be sympathetic characters, firsthand victims of the horrors that the Silurians unleash to make you want to see the villainous Silurian leader face their comeuppance. Unfortunately they also have terrible, terrible accents, the lady in particular. Reduced to near hysterics constantly, both are forever wailing in thick accents that don't seem to be based on any actual place or ethnicity. "OOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, OOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" is a frequently repeated piece of dialogue in a warbling, high pitched voice that just pierced through my eardrums. It wrecks any sense of sympathy or concern I had for the characters, in fact at one point a heroic but tragic sacrifice is made and all I could think was,"Oh thank God they're dead and I never need to hear them speak again." They're also completely disposable, once removed from the story the other characters basically seem to forget they were ever there at all.

• Darwin. While Darwin's struggle to reconcile his science and faith are to be appreciated, and his formulation of his theory of Natural Selection is a fascinating subject.... Jesus Christ does he have to go on about it ALL the time? At first it is fun to hear him ponder to Evelyn the nature of the islands' creatures and marvel over the slight variations in species to be found. But as the story progresses and becomes more sci-fi than history, Darwin CONTINUES to excitedly ponder the subject even in the face of far more showy sci-fi elements, including more immediately pressing issues like the fact they've just been captured by a remote-activated prison cell operated by a man under the telepathic control of walking lizard-men. At one point, Evelyn even rather exasperatedly points out they have other things to be concerned about, and Darwin's obsession can't even be excused as an obsession, since the manner in which he reflects upon it seems more scholarly, rather inappropriate given the context of the scenes in which his musings repeatedly crop up.

• The confusing "inspiring" message. The start of the story opens with a Silurian being judged by his peers in a trial where he is accused of unethical scientific experimentations and banished to die on the surface while they go into hibernation to wait out the peril. At about the midway point of the story, this character returns to drop what should be a bombshell on the cast as a cliffhanger. All this does though is confuse the rather straightforward concept of "Darwin discovers Natural Selection", muddying it up with some of the old whacked out conspiracy theories about "God" being an alien. That could be forgiven though for the scene in which the Doctor hammers home the idea to Darwin and the ship's captain that they (and humanity) are more than just animals; that mankind has grown and, yes, evolved to become masters of themselves, that nature and biology can set the stage but THEY make the choice. That leads into the climactic showdown between the "humans" (the Silurians never seem to grasp that the Doctor isn't) and the Silurian leader, in which Darwin and the Captain prove him right, prove that humans aren't just animals, that there is some spark of the "divine" in them which was one of the major concerns Darwin (in the story) had about his theory on Natural Selection. But this then gets needlessly and bizarrely cut down when the Doctor reveals that their victory was a fake, that another Silurian (one of the "good" ones) was actually behind their "triumph" at the Doctor's behest, and that they themselves are still little removed from the cavemen that the Silurian leader equated them to. I really cannot understand why this element of the story was not only included, but that they had the Doctor say as much right to Darwin's face. It effectively negates the triumphal message on the nobility/value of the human mind/spirit for no real reason, not only accomplishing nothing but actively detracting from the story.

Final Thoughts:

Bloodtide takes an interesting premise and achieves very little with it. It attempts to up the stakes time and again as the story progresses from "simple" picking off of individual humans, to an attack on the Beagle, to the threatened destruction of the entire human race. But there is never any real sense of danger, no concept that poo poo has gotten real, and the characters move far too smoothly through events with rarely a backwards glance. The supporting characters are paper-thin, with a couple of them having distractingly bad accents, and the playing around in the established history of the real world leads to some head scratching moments like the agonizing death of a character who I know lived another 20 years! Darwin's struggle to reconcile his faith with science is a nice running element of the story, but Darwin himself shifts between fascinating and irritating as the story struggles to figure out if it wants to be about his astonishing discoveries or embrace its sci-fi story fully. The Silurians are a let-down, either painted as overly dominant/powerful or complete morons - a scene where Evelyn finds herself trapped by one and the way she talks her way out of it doesn't so much make her look smart as the Silurian look like a moron. Evelyn herself feels wasted in the story, her major role seems to be as a sounding board for Darwin, and she doesn't get to do much else. I'm still not sure exactly what the title has to do with anything that actually happens in the story, so in the end all I can say is that this Silurian story lives up to the standard of every Silurian story there has ever been - a disappointment that doesn't live up to the high standards set by their original, self-titled story from back in the Pertwee era.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Terror of the Vervoids is the best Pip and Jane story the show has ever put out in my opinion

I AM ABSOLUTELY APPALLED, ANGRY, AND FURIOUS.

That short synopsis. :allears:

I want to like this story, I really do. But the portrayal of Darwin just kills it for me. Science vs. faith is a wonderful topic (I'm of the "science + faith" mindset) but when Darwin is going on about it ALL. THE. BLOODY. TIME. It ruins the discussion. Miles Richardson was superb as Darwin, but the script's dialogue didn't match up to the quality of his performance.

Props for Evelyn's quick thinking at being "controlled' by the Silurians. And for somehow actually making the least scary thing in Doctor Who history somewhat threatening.

Still, holding out hope for a good Silurian story someday...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Still, holding out hope for a good Silurian story someday...

I know it gets said a lot (and I said as much in my write-up) but I'd probably be happy with something that was even half as good as The Silurians, because that was just exceptionally good. The ending with the Brigadier taking matters into his own hands and the Doctor's utter revulsion is such a great moment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

The Three Doctors is the best multi doctor serial the show has ever put out in my opinion.

The Two Doctors heard you and Colin is PISSED.

Anyone reading the IDW comics? If so, the first issue of the Eighth Doctor mini drops tomorrow and it's just lovely.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
On the "they need to keep Clara around to refresh the image" front, Osgood said that Zygons no longer need to do that, so she could be either Human Osgood or Zygon Osgood. So they went ahead and kept Clara alive for ~reasons~, and given the writer I don't expect them to be good reasons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NowonSA posted:

On the "they need to keep Clara around to refresh the image" front, Osgood said that Zygons no longer need to do that, so she could be either Human Osgood or Zygon Osgood. So they went ahead and kept Clara alive for ~reasons~, and given the writer I don't expect them to be good reasons.

That's only for the appearance. They still need them cocooned to keep tapping their minds for memories and knowledge.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh god I forgot they had an episode that pretty much says Clara created the Doctor. That's really painful in trying to make her special.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Every companion is made "special". Or nearly every.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DoctorWhat posted:

Every companion is made "special". Or nearly every.

Yea, but that's a little different than having a hidden power or something else. Clara is shown to explicitly give the young Doctor advice that sets him on the path to become who he was to become. The earlier stuff with her in in earlier episodes was explained by insane bravery by leaping into the Doctor's time stream was fine. Plus we got to see 80s versions of Clara.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Who cares? Like, the whole idea that whole creative thoughtlines are "off limits" out of some deference to 52-year-old television just doesn't sit with me the way it used to.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but that's a little different than having a hidden power or something else. Clara is shown to explicitly give the young Doctor advice that sets him on the path to become who he was to become. The earlier stuff with her in in earlier episodes was explained by insane bravery by leaping into the Doctor's time stream was fine. Plus we got to see 80s versions of Clara.

We don't know how much of that was original flavor plot or just an open-time-loop's worth of repairing the damage done by the Great Intelligence. The Doctor probably didn't need Clara's help until Bad Guy Time Shenanigans happened and Clara had to become super-special timepal.

Or so I choose to believe. Clara's been great, but occasionally Moffat's cute script tricks need a bit of headiting.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's only for the appearance. They still need them cocooned to keep tapping their minds for memories and knowledge.

Eh, I thought they made a big deal about Zygons being able to do that remotely and whatnot. Like copying the drone pilot's family or the soldiers' loved ones, at best they're pulling that off right before they exit the church. And Osgood's point is specifically about how a Zygon can keep copying someone after the original has died, since she's saying that's what she could be doing if she's a Zygon.

I dunno, I guess I just want to make sure everyone knows that amongst all the other crappy writing, you have Schrodinger's Zygon cloning abilities where they simultaneously need a human subject and are able to copy from your mind through a drone video feed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NowonSA posted:

Eh, I thought they made a big deal about Zygons being able to do that remotely and whatnot. Like copying the drone pilot's family or the soldiers' loved ones, at best they're pulling that off right before they exit the church. And Osgood's point is specifically about how a Zygon can keep copying someone after the original has died, since she's saying that's what she could be doing if she's a Zygon.

I dunno, I guess I just want to make sure everyone knows that amongst all the other crappy writing, you have Schrodinger's Zygon cloning abilities where they simultaneously need a human subject and are able to copy from your mind through a drone video feed.

They can pull an appearance telepathically, but they need the original on-hand for specific knowledge. Best argument is they're not pulling the whole mind, they're just taking a quick glance to mimick the personality and then querying for specific details as-needed.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Osgood's line about "the only reason to keep the original alive is to interrogate them for personal details" literally cuts straight to the UNIT team investigating the underground Zygon lair, so yeah, that's what's going on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I know it gets said a lot (and I said as much in my write-up) but I'd probably be happy with something that was even half as good as The Silurians, because that was just exceptionally good. The ending with the Brigadier taking matters into his own hands and the Doctor's utter revulsion is such a great moment.

Can I recommend Blood Heat then? I guess it depends on how much you like classic Jim Mortimore, but I adore the guy's work, give-or-take Eternity Weeps.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Who cares? Like, the whole idea that whole creative thoughtlines are "off limits" out of some deference to 52-year-old television just doesn't sit with me the way it used to.

Clara is moving away from an audience analogue. Possibly already has moved away. She's now an international super spy who saved the Doctor in every story ever and is just cute as a button oh yes! This is on top of having wildly inconsistent characterisation which means that all you can really come back to with her as a character are those big, stupid moments.

For those of us who like low key stories it's bad in and of itself, and for those of us who like stories in general it's bad because (as we saw in the last episode) you need to have her act really stupidly in order to get bits of the plot rolling.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

A time travel show that has been around this many years has done awfully well in keeping things untangled.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Can I recommend Blood Heat then? I guess it depends on how much you like classic Jim Mortimore, but I adore the guy's work, give-or-take Eternity Weeps.

I was never really able to get into the novels and the synopsis (perhaps unfairly) makes it sound like it is guilty of some of the more irritating aspects I've heard about. I'm also really not at all a fan of the concept of their being parallel/alternate universe versions of the Doctor (or any Time Lord, really) - but as a basic "what if...?" premise it's at least an interesting starting point - the Silurians woke up and succeeded in retaking control of the planet instead of being blown up by the Brigadier.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

A time travel show that has been around this many years has done awfully well in keeping things untangled.

Very few of the stories are actually about time travel though, and continuity hasn't really been a thing. It's only started to get tangled recently when both of those things have changed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lampsacus posted:

It does so mostly by utilizing as much of time and space as possible, and not really giving a gently caress.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I was never really able to get into the novels and the synopsis (perhaps unfairly) makes it sound like it is guilty of some of the more irritating aspects I've heard about. I'm also really not at all a fan of the concept of their being parallel/alternate universe versions of the Doctor (or any Time Lord, really) - but as a basic "what if...?" premise it's at least an interesting starting point - the Silurians woke up and succeeded in retaking control of the planet instead of being blown up by the Brigadier.

Oh, it's not an alternate version of the Doctor. It's out seventh in an alternate timeline, though he is on an alternate Earth and encounters different versions of the typical UNIT crew.

It's certainly worth a read, IMO.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Cleretic posted:

It does so mostly by utilizing as much of time and space as possible, and not really giving a gently caress.

The latter yes, but not so much the former. As much of time and space as possible as long as it's 20th-21st century Earth.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My friend keeps recommending that I read the Ten/Martha novel Sting of the Zygons and depending on how this week’s episode goes I might take her up on it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Clara is moving away from an audience analogue. Possibly already has moved away. She's now an international super spy who saved the Doctor in every story ever and is just cute as a button oh yes! This is on top of having wildly inconsistent characterisation which means that all you can really come back to with her as a character are those big, stupid moments.

For those of us who like low key stories it's bad in and of itself, and for those of us who like stories in general it's bad because (as we saw in the last episode) you need to have her act really stupidly in order to get bits of the plot rolling.

I hope that the next Doctor's companion is going to be a man. Make all other characters women, but the show desperately needs a break from female companions. Maybe some bonny young Scottish lad from the 18th century, I don't know.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's a rather big visual clue in that she's basically wearing the Doctor's outfit in this story. Simple white shirt done all the way up to the collar, black coat and trousers.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
While I may be optimistic, I do think they might be trying an Icarus-like story arc with Clara. The Doctor on multiple occasions has made known his concern at Clara becoming very comfortable with her time-trotting lifestyle, and it's probably going to be her downfall.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Interestingly the Big Finish UNIT Extinction boxset comes out on Monday. I'd hazard a guess they were waiting for this story to get out of the way before the release..?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

HD DAD posted:

While I may be optimistic, I do think they might be trying an Icarus-like story arc with Clara. The Doctor on multiple occasions has made known his concern at Clara becoming very comfortable with her time-trotting lifestyle, and it's probably going to be her downfall.

Yeah, it's clear that they're going for something like that. She is the only companion who constantly bluffs, lies, and tries to trick the Doctor. Her characterisation for series 8 and 9 has been really stellar, and it's all leading up to one hell of a send-off. Maybe she'll finally try to replace him completely.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

And More posted:

Yeah, it's clear that they're going for something like that. She is the only companion who constantly bluffs, lies, and tries to trick the Doctor. Her characterisation for series 8 and 9 has been really stellar, and it's all leading up to one hell of a send-off. Maybe she'll finally try to replace him completely.

That would be a very ballsy move from a narrative standpoint.

Clara goes full “dark side.” “I’m why you still exist. I’ve kept you alive. Hell, I’ve BEEN you. And what has it gotten me? Maybe someone else should be the Doctor. Permanently.”

I hope it doesn’t happen – I’ve enjoyed Clara/Twelve and Coleman/Capaldi immensely – but it’s a neat concept to spitball about.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And More posted:

Her characterisation for series 8 and 9 has been really stellar

It's been all over the loving place

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It really hasn't.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well everything about the Ashildr arc seems to indicate the Doctor is about to get a big comeuppance based on his actions, so I can see where Clara going gonzo could be a big part of that.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

maybe she'll turn into a human/timelord... HYBRID!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Attitude Indicator posted:

maybe she'll turn into a human/timelord... HYBRID!

:regd08:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
God this hybrid poo poo is so loving forced.

e: Capaldi might as well have looked directly into the camera when he said it last week.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The finale should have nothing whatsoever to do with hybrids. Just to gently caress with people.

Also because there's no real interesting direction they could take the concept with an interesting 'season finale' payoff. I'm all for approaching hybrids as a concept by itself, but it just isn't 'season finale' material.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

"We've got Bessie in the garage. Osgood upgraded her to use less fuel."

"You mean... like a hybrid?"

(shamelessly stolen from tumblr)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I really hope nothing comes of the hybrid stuff, because then it goes from being annoying to hilarious.

• Locked thread