Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Wait the 30k thread has been gassed?

Why? Did it trigger someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Why? Did it trigger someone?

Stop playing around with mental health terms this is not a joking matte:vomarine:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
30k isnt a joking matter either, heretic.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Pierzak posted:

Stop playing around with mental health terms this is not a joking matte:vomarine:

I have a sever personality disorder and a anxiety disorder and get wound up about a lot of things but never words on the internet, people should either thicker skin or read a different forum.

Edit- also im tempted to pick up the 30k box to make a world eaters show army, but the prospect of shading all that white is a bit overwhelming.

Fumble fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 4, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Wtf? That was quite a decent 30k thread and barely a week old. Time for a new combined 40k and 30k thread with an updated OP?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There was a 30k thread?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

There was a 30k thread?

Operative word here is "was"

The OP was p. good.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New thread would be pretty cool, this one's getting a little long in the tooth. Update the old OP with the newer codexes, jam in that 30k one and we're good to go.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The mental image of some grognard frothing at the mouth when he realizes that there is ANOTHER thread about loving GAMES WORKSHOP GAMES in his otherwise PRISTINE heaven of a subforum is actually pretty enjoyable for me.
"NYOOOOO!!" *spits on computer screen*

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
So it was a mods thing not someone just being a bell end?

Find it weird that one of the biggest tabletop launches of the year can't have it's own thread.

Was there a reason given?

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So, modern scheme or retro scheme?

I'm leaning retro.

Also, lol that 30k thread. We hardly knew ye.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

So it was a mods thing not someone just being a bell end?

Was there a reason given?
Nope, but there's no reason why "angry grognard goon" and "mod" can't overlap.

Was nice to have actual 30k discussion going on without getting caught up in 40k chats.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Probably aimed for the deathpool thread and missed.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
30k Question: Is there any particularly tasty units worth taking with the Rewards of Treason for Alpha Legion? Currently gravitating towards grabbing some Tyrant Siege Termis as they were my main draw to play Iron Warriors, though kinda tempted to take Gal Vorbak for an excuse to paint them up.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Is there anyway to get the formatting from a gassed thread? I spent a couple hours putting it together and it'd be kind of a bummer if I couldn't add it to the next 40k thread or whatever.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Praetor in Terminator armour: Cataphractii armour; paragon blade (master-crafted) 170
Champion: Photonic Blade; artificer armour; jump pack 165

9 Assault Space Marines: power weapon; + 1 Assault Sergeant (thunder hammer; melta bombs) 285
9 Tactical Space Marines: + 1 Tactical Sergeant 150
Drop Pod 35

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon
Contemptor Dreadnought: dreadnought close combat weapon 175
Dreadnought Drop Pod 65
4 Terminators: 2× chainfist; 2× Iliastus pattern assault cannon; 2× pair of lightning claws; + 1 Terminator Sergeant (pair of lightning claws) 270
9 Veteran Space Marines: heavy flamer; + 1 Veteran Sergeant 215
Drop Pod 35

Xiphon Pattern Interceptor 205

Fire Raptor Gunship: reaper autocannon battery; armoured ceramite 230

2.000 points

New Orbital list. My worry is a lack of bodies.

SteelMentor posted:

30k Question: Is there any particularly tasty units worth taking with the Rewards of Treason for Alpha Legion? Currently gravitating towards grabbing some Tyrant Siege Termis as they were my main draw to play Iron Warriors, though kinda tempted to take Gal Vorbak for an excuse to paint them up.

Suzerain. AP2 at ini is amazing. Or infiltrating dark fury squads. With preferred enemy.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 4, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hencoe posted:

Or you could skip the forgelord and save your HS slots and take a praevian. He comes attached with a unit of robots and can give various benefits to them.

here's the rules for a Praevian

Praevians are part of the unit with the Castellax, have Infiltrate, and as RG characters, can buy Cameoline for 5 points, giving Stealth to the unit.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

BirdieBedtime posted:

I'm leaning retro.

Paint them as mummified corpses in dusty funerary armor, Beksinski-style.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Basically anything that would be busted with Infiltrate, that will also help make up for your weak Troops section, is a good choice. Tyrant Siege, Firedrakes, Suzerain, Gal Vorbak, things that can grab attention and survive the weight of fire they'll receive are where you want to be looking. Kit 'em up, buy their dedicated Land Raider or Spartan or whatever, and let the rest of your army (there won't be much) mop up whatever smears your Treasonous Smashfuckers leave behind.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Wow really!? The 30k thread was such a breath of fresh air and you didn't have to listen to everyone bitch about how bad GW is and why 40k sucks compared to *insert new upcoming tabletop game*. gently caress you mods.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'll be happy to modify the OP in whatever way you all would like, maybe we can convince a mod to alter the title accordingly. When I get a little time I'll update some of the army info in the OP to reflect additions/changes. It would be swell if we could somehow contain the GW complaints to the death thread, where they belong, kind of like how specific political candidate slap-fighting is disallowed from the general political threads.

Become the change you want to see in the thread and post awesome 30K/40K pictures and batreps.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Shame about the 30k thread. That was a nice OP Panascope.

Fumble posted:

I have a sever personality disorder and a anxiety disorder and get wound up about a lot of things but never words on the internet, people should either thicker skin or read a different forum.

Edit- also im tempted to pick up the 30k box to make a world eaters show army, but the prospect of shading all that white is a bit overwhelming.

World Eaters are easy. FW has a decent legion painting guide on their website that I use, but it's basically this:
1) Basecoat white
2) Wash with a 25/25/50 mix of drakenhof nightshade, nuln oil and flow aid. This produces a grey/blue wash
3) Either sponge on a diluted coat of ceramite white, or do what I do and drybrush on Praxeti white, with a final touch of dilute ceramite white where needed.

Blue is easy; any mid blue (I use the old ultramarines blue) with a drakenhof nightshade wash.

There are a number of ways to do the brass on their armour; I go with warplock bronze, wash with agrax earthshade and then add a sloppy runelord brass highlight and a more spare sycorax bronze one.

I'm using GW paints because that is mostly what I have (though VGC is awesome and cheaper too) but don't feel constrained to only that range; use what you are comfortable with. Whatever feels good, man.

Some examples:

Legion Praetor

Terminators

More terminators

Angron

Contemptor, XII Legion bowling champion.

Red Butchers, WIP. The greyish looking dude on the left is what a formerly white miniature looks like after the wash. Please pardon the horrorshow that is my work table.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 4, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I thought this was the de facto 30K thread.

EDIT:
I honestly thought 30K was a campaign setting for the 40K system and not a completely new game system altogether.

Yeah it's like a total conversion of the core rules. Think 6th vs 7th edition 40k. So it's still based on the main rulebook, but changes or overrides parts of it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Are there eldar in 30k? If there are, are they not broken?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Xenos are mostly dead or in hiding during the Horus Heresy. Closest you'll get is Demons.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hihohe posted:

The Eldar were ravaged by the Fall which brought the emergence of Slaanesh and the Eye of Terror, leaving very few to interact with humanity as it regained control of the stars. With the exception of the Cabal and some bit players with some farseering there aren't many Eldar around at the time. The only Eldar that would have any level of power during this period are the Exodites, but they likely had no interest in leaving their Maiden Worlds or interacting with the monkeigh.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:siren: PSA for all you 30K hams- the red legion book is getting updated sometime early next year. My bet is after the release of the new heresy book. If I was a thrifty ham I'd sell mine around the time the shattered legion book comes out so the new one costs you way less.

Hihohe posted:

You can always run Eldar using the AOD rules which will make them a bit less crazy, but at the end of the day that entire codex is a problem.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PierreTheMime posted:

The Eldar were ravaged by the Fall which brought the emergence of Slaanesh and the Eye of Terror, leaving very few to interact with humanity as it regained control of the stars. With the exception of the Cabal and some bit players with some farseering there aren't many Eldar around at the time. The only Eldar that would have any level of power during this period are the Exodites, but they likely had no interest in leaving their Maiden Worlds or interacting with the monkeigh.

I don't think that's necessarily true. The Eldar were as they are now, though completely shell-shocked as a race and scattered. I don't think there's anything to say that they are more numerous in the 40k timeline than they were in the 30k and a lot to suggest the opposite.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah but in 30k you have Fulgrim choking avatars to death and punting wraithlords.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah but in 30k you have Fulgrim choking avatars to death and punting wraithlords.

Isn't that the national pastime of every non-Eldar race though? I mean, who hasn't spanked an avatar as part of their fluff?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Xenos are mostly dead or in hiding during the Horus Heresy. Closest you'll get is Demons.

Though there are rules for 30k scrunts in the Imperial Guard list.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Mango Polo posted:

Isn't that the national pastime of every non-Eldar race though? I mean, who hasn't spanked an avatar as part of their fluff?

Didn't one of the famous Grots raid an imperial camp, drive a warbuggy, shoot an avatar, and have an exceptionally large and ferocious squig as his claims to fame?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Boon posted:

I don't think that's necessarily true. The Eldar were as they are now, though completely shell-shocked as a race and scattered. I don't think there's anything to say that they are more numerous in the 40k timeline than they were in the 30k and a lot to suggest the opposite.

Yeah, I didn't really phrase it properly. I didn't mean the Eldar rebuilt their numbers, more like they were a broken race reeling from near-extinction and didn't have the capacity at the time to mount any proper offense.

Also, apparently the new 30K box set has been labeled "Core set" in Games Workshop shipping/sales manifests, which is a strong indication we'll be getting more sweet 30K plastics in the future! :woop:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PierreTheMime posted:

Also, apparently the new 30K box set has been labeled "Core set" in Games Workshop shipping/sales manifests, which is a strong indication we'll be getting more sweet 30K plastics in the future! :woop:

Man I hope this is true. I wish GW would just stop being coy and tell us if the Betrayal box is gonna be a limited edition thing or not, none of the GW staff I know know if it's gonna be a permanent product or not either. It'd be nice to know if I have to franticly flog Magic cards to scrape up the cash for next week or if it's gonna be around after.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

SteelMentor posted:

Man I hope this is true. I wish GW would just stop being coy and tell us if the Betrayal box is gonna be a limited edition thing or not, none of the GW staff I know know if it's gonna be a permanent product or not either. It'd be nice to know if I have to franticly flog Magic cards to scrape up the cash for next week or if it's gonna be around after.

I'm going to be going by my local shop on Friday to ask about some details and plunk down for the pre-order. I also just found out I won their painting contest with my Techpriest Dominus. :cool:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm going to be going by my local shop on Friday to ask about some details and plunk down for the pre-order. I also just found out I won their painting contest with my Techpriest Dominus. :cool:
Grats! You did a killer job on that model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BirdieBedtime posted:

I'm leaning retro.

Be unapologetically retro.

I tried to find the old box art with the metal Thousand Sons in their insane primary colors on the green field but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any sort of repository for old box art like there is for old catalogs and such.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
As great as the idea is of sneaking a giant murderbot onto the battlefield might be I think I've developed a big stupid boner for the Alpha Legion and their unit-stealing shenanigans (and their double-secret "I deploy like an old school Greater Daemon" Primarch). Will either end up taking Suzerain squads or Dark Furies (which were the only units I really like out of the Raven Guard), but I'm gonna work on the basics of the new box first.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, I didn't really phrase it properly. I didn't mean the Eldar rebuilt their numbers, more like they were a broken race reeling from near-extinction and didn't have the capacity at the time to mount any proper offense.

It could be labeled 'core set' as it will mean that independent retailers would be required to stock it by their trade agreement to always stock product from the core set. This not only encompasses the main game box sets, but things like Tactical squads and Paint sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

As great as the idea is of sneaking a giant murderbot onto the battlefield might be I think I've developed a big stupid boner for the Alpha Legion and their unit-stealing shenanigans (and their double-secret "I deploy like an old school Greater Daemon" Primarch). Will either end up taking Suzerain squads or Dark Furies (which were the only units I really like out of the Raven Guard), but I'm gonna work on the basics of the new box first.

Mutable Tactics: Infiltrate, take a Praevin HQ, set him up with Castellax buddies. Sneaky giant murderbots AND rewards of treason! Of course that's a lot of eggs in two baskets, but...

• Locked thread