Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Endgame is enjoyment, not the treadmill. *strokes Amante's beard vigorously*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Endgame is logging back into gw2 after you've crashed.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

:siren: 64 bit client beta launching today :siren:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Joust posted:

Endgame is logging back into gw2 after you've crashed.

I play ESO right now so it sounds like I'm prepared for GW2's endgame already :haw:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Dreggon posted:

I can't wait to crash constantly using this!

GW2 tends to eat up all my ram like crazy, so I thought it was 64bit to begin with.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Dreggon posted:

With DX12 features active yes yes?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Dreggon posted:

downloading this so hard. finally I won't crash in world events constantly, maybe, a year from now!!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dreggon posted:

If anyone wants to see a source on this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rh6ps/crashing_on_meta_events_is_driving_me_away_from/cwo7h63

Gonna download that aggressively when it's released. I honestly have no idea what it might do for me beyond hopefully fixing the crashes, but for some reason I hope I get better performance out of the game as a result.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Dreggon posted:

Sweet, definitely going to try it out.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You mean I can switch the amount of high quality model characters back up to highest?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope it doesn't break my GemFX. :ohdear:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dreggon posted:

I knew those XP machines were being put to good use :v:

(this owns though, I had no idea this was coming)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh man, good thing I've been forgetting/too lazy to use gemfx. I've been meaning to switch to it to improve quality, but maybe just using the 64x client will work instead. If not I'll need to wait on seeing if it fucks up gemfx anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

Oh man, good thing I've been forgetting/too lazy to use gemfx. I've been meaning to switch to it to improve quality, but maybe just using the 64x client will work instead. If not I'll need to wait on seeing if it fucks up gemfx anyway.

I hope it doesn't break GemFX, because I mostly use GemFX to do some of the game's own graphics options better than GW2 itself does. I get a better frame rate and overall better image quality by using some subtle GemFX tweaks than I do by doing similar things in the game engine itself.

Even if the 64-bit client lets me get a frame rate as good as GemFX does, it still won't let me make my game look as nice, which would be a bummer.

Maybe it'll help the shadow draw distance though? :shobon:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Cuckoo posted:

Ohh I see, thanks for the explanation. gently caress, I'm going to go from casually messing around in this game for free to giving them all my money for the expansion, new faces, new hair... :smith:

What does the PvE endgame largely consist of these days, though? I know its a question that has been asked and answered in varying degrees since forever, but it sounds like Heart of Thorns now has raids. What reason is there to keep playing for a strict PvEer if they 100%ed the map and have completed their personal story?

In theory, there are Fractals of the Mists, dungeons (lol), and soon there will be raids. In practice, there is pretty princessing and alts.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

I hope it doesn't break GemFX, because I mostly use GemFX to do some of the game's own graphics options better than GW2 itself does. I get a better frame rate and overall better image quality by using some subtle GemFX tweaks than I do by doing similar things in the game engine itself.

Even if the 64-bit client lets me get a frame rate as good as GemFX does, it still won't let me make my game look as nice, which would be a bummer.

While it could, in theory, improve performance if you have a lot of RAM since more textures could be kept in memory, I wouldn't get your hopes up that much. I'm guessing the main reason for this is because of the memory leak crashes, a 64-bit client doesn't fix it but it does provide a much larger bucket for the leak.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Harrow posted:

What tweaks do you use in gemfx?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

Ohh I see, thanks for the explanation. gently caress, I'm going to go from casually messing around in this game for free to giving them all my money for the expansion, new faces, new hair... :smith:

What does the PvE endgame largely consist of these days, though? I know its a question that has been asked and answered in varying degrees since forever, but it sounds like Heart of Thorns now has raids. What reason is there to keep playing for a strict PvEer if they 100%ed the map and have completed their personal story?

I'll answer this assuming that everything goes as ArenaNet wants it to:
  • Fractals of the Mists. Think of these like mini-dungeons that all take place in the Mists--they're like little slices of reality, either reliving moments in history or from the Living World or just weird stuff out in the Mists. As you do Fractals, you work your way up from rank 1 to rank 100 Fractals, with better rewards (and weird quirks added in) as you go. In practice, they start to get much less fun past rank 50, because the enemy HP to player damage balance is way off, but they've said they want to address the balance there, so hopefully it'll get better "soon."
  • Dungeons. Full disclosure--there are eight dungeons (with multiple paths each) that have been in since launch and basically haven't been touched since except to lower the amount of gold you can get for doing them. They're still pretty fun and the drops and tokens can still make it worth doing them. People definitely still do dungeons.
  • World Bosses and Meta-Events. Later zones, especially the new ones in Heart of Thorns, feature big world bosses that either spawn on a timer or when a (sometimes pretty intricate) chain of events, called a meta-event, completes. Some of these get pretty complex and require coordination and large groups of players to succeed, though you generally can still get some rewards even if the meta-event chain doesn't make it all the way to the end. The last new area in the expansion, Dragon's Stand, is basically a huge, zone-wide raid that ends with a really rad boss fight.
  • Instanced Raids. Eventually--they're supposedly being opened this month. This'll look a lot like what you'd expect MMO raiding to look like, only with less rigid tanking/healing mechanics and no stat-based gear progression. We don't know much beyond the first encounter, but you can see people doing that fight from the last beta weekend on YouTube if you want to search for it.

Rakeris posted:

What tweaks do you use in gemfx?

My memory is failing me. I'll have to check when I get home from work and post the profile. I mostly use GemFX as a way to easily manage those old SweetFX tweaks, and I only really use some subtle ones (sharper texture filtering, very little bloom, some color tweaks). I'll post the details later, with some screen shots.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Thanks for the straight answers. Raids are what sound the most interesting, especially if they can break away from that typical MMO style. "Everyone show up at 8PM sharp, bring food buffs, you'd better be in this exact spec, oh poo poo our tank hasn't shown up just idle and jack off in town for a half hour while we find someone else" *wipes on the same boss for 4 hours*

This is again going to sound ignorant, but I'm an MMO veteran (:smith:) who is really only used to hamster-wheel grinding. What is the point of those world bosses, raids, and fractals if there is no gear progression? What would motivate a group to get together and do it? I know there's for the fun and to see new content, but people typically don't run the same instance over and over again because it felt like a fun new experience each time. I accept that any MMO has some sort of grind to get what you want in the end. In ESO for example, you can get tel'var stones in PvP or gear pieces/keys in PvE instances, both of which unlock endgame gear and experience in the form of "champion points" (like D3's paragon levels).

What are the shinies for PvE group content in GW2?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

While it could, in theory, improve performance if you have a lot of RAM since more textures could be kept in memory, I wouldn't get your hopes up that much. I'm guessing the main reason for this is because of the memory leak crashes, a 64-bit client doesn't fix it but it does provide a much larger bucket for the leak.

*strokes 64gb knowingly*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

What are the shinies for PvE group content in GW2?

Pretty princess dress-up.

I'm saying that in a somewhat mocking way, but really, that motivates the poo poo out of GW2 players, myself included. Everyone wants their character to look rad as gently caress (or, at least, they want to think their character looks rad as gently caress while goons make fun of their unimaginative dye scheme or the ubiquitous female human anime). People do Dragon's Stand for the new ley line armor set, for example, and will do the raid for a new legendary armor set (which, as a bonus, lets you swap your gear stats on the fly). You can also do a wide variety of content to work towards a legendary weapon--you need a ton of gold to do this, but you can earn gold through almost anything you do.

It has the added benefit of not really letting you trivialize older content via power progression. Those launch dungeons are only easier now because we all know how they work and the best strategies, not because we've progressed five gear tiers since then, and they still offer things a lot of people want (each dungeon has unique armor and weapon skins associated with it). You get to get new shinies to show off--"I'm dedicated enough to get this legendary weapon, look how cool it looks, it makes my footsteps leave fiery footprints and everything!"--while not necessarily getting too strong to do stuff you still find fun.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
The fractal gimmicks are really bad—they just punish you for playing GW2 well. I hope that entire system is deeply rethought or outright tossed at some point.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is that patch the beta client?

e: why what why am I in a beta

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
Is there anything happening tonight? I joined SFD a while back but never really ended up doing anything with them because I'm one of those people who can't focus on a class long enough to get it to 80. However this theif will make it there. So is there any planned group action tonight?

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

Stereo posted:

Is there anything happening tonight? I joined SFD a while back but never really ended up doing anything with them because I'm one of those people who can't focus on a class long enough to get it to 80. However this theif will make it there. So is there any planned group action tonight?

WvWvW Wednesdays 8pm PDT for about an hour.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
RIP halloween

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
What does everything think the "easiest" class for HoT content is so far? My wife might be interested in playing again. She's only gotten to lvl 20 or so in the past, but I'm afraid that if she does get into the game this time around that she'd hit the HoT content and get frustrated by the difficulty spike.

I'm thinking Ranger since pet and bow always seem like a decent option for a more casual player doing world events. Plus, there is always the pokemon effect of gotta catch them all for pets. I don't play ranger, so I don't know how they've been in the new content.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Totbot posted:

What does everything think the "easiest" class for HoT content is so far? My wife might be interested in playing again. She's only gotten to lvl 20 or so in the past, but I'm afraid that if she does get into the game this time around that she'd hit the HoT content and get frustrated by the difficulty spike.

I'm thinking Ranger since pet and bow always seem like a decent option for a more casual player doing world events. Plus, there is always the pokemon effect of gotta catch them all for pets. I don't play ranger, so I don't know how they've been in the new content.

I've had the easiest time with reaper and dragonhunter.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Reaper. Two gigantic health pools, plenty of healing, and insane damage. Not to mention pretty great utility: GS 3 gives 12 stacks of Vuln and refills your life force, GS 4 is an area blind, GS 5 is a big pull that can grab multiple targets.
Not to mention the sheer joy of yelling "YOUR SOUL IS MINE!" or "NOTHING CAN SAVE YOU!" as you cut down swathes of enemies :black101:

From what I've heard, Ranger is ~ok~ in HoT, and the new pets are really cool.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I considered Necro since my Reaper is tanky as gently caress even in dps gear, but Reaper is pretty melee heavy and HoT can be pretty punishing for melee if you don't have pretty good reaction times. Base Necro might not be bad, though.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Someone linked a palette website and a die matcher a page or so ago. Can someone explain to an emerging pretty princess-er how to use these tools?

YMMV: My method is to find a dye I like and use https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tool/dye/search to find a cheaper alternative to said dye (usually 96% or higher looks okay - but sometimes there isn't a good option)

Then I take the Hex Value RGB and put it into http://paletton.com/ and then use Triad w/ Complimentary or Tetrad color schemes to find good colors that compliment my main color. Then I take those hex values and put them back into the gw2bltc to find reasonably-priced versions of those dyes and bam, I am princessing.

For anyone still talking about chrono nomenclature:
I'm partial to Chronomanser, or Chronomans for short. It's goony enough, for sure. :toot:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

I haven't played Reaper yet, but Ranger seemed to be easiest. The pet isn't the level of support you'd see in WoW, but it does help, and ranged combat seems more forgiving in general.

Okay thread, one more question. Does that Mastery exp kick in only after you've hit 80, or does it level up as you level from 1? Like if I wanted to mess around in the vanilla game, do I need to buy the expansion immediately in order to get mastery experience or would it not matter anyway, since I wouldn't see it until after hitting the level cap?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Cuckoo posted:

I haven't played Reaper yet, but Ranger seemed to be easiest. The pet isn't the level of support you'd see in WoW, but it does help, and ranged combat seems more forgiving in general.

Okay thread, one more question. Does that Mastery exp kick in only after you've hit 80, or does it level up as you level from 1? Like if I wanted to mess around in the vanilla game, do I need to buy the expansion immediately in order to get mastery experience or would it not matter anyway, since I wouldn't see it until after hitting the level cap?

masteries only work and gain xp at 80

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Dreggon posted:

:siren: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gw2cdn/client/branches/Gw2-64.exe :siren:

Download and stick next to your existing Gw2.exe, it'll use the same dat file and you can go back to 32-bit client if you run into any issues with the 64-bit BETA CLIENT.

Tivac fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 4, 2015

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ShadowMar posted:

masteries only work and gain xp at 80

And only after you finish the first HoT mission with one character, too. It's unlocked for your whole account after that.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is anyone else still playing an elementalist? I'm finding tempest a bit lackluster and hoping that someone has a shiny new build or something to suggest. The warhorn abilities all seem kind of meh, the overloads require you to mash your face up against mobs that can usually one-shot you (and you can't dodge without breaking the channel), and the only decent damage overload seems to be air anyway.

Dagger/warhorn seems subpar because without the dagger offhand you lose a lot of mobility, and scepter is generally terrible regardless of what you pair it with. The most damage seems to come from constantly overloading air, but then you're stuck in air scepter which is the worst damage output. Or air dagger, but you don't have your cool mobility tricks to survive while daggering. Or just not use the warhorn at all, I guess, but then what's the point of even having it? I don't know, it just all feels vaguely half-assed and as if it were designed by someone who really didn't understand the profession in the first place. So, basically par for the course for Ele. :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tivac posted:

Download and stick next to your existing Gw2.exe, it'll use the same dat file and you can go back to 32-bit client if you run into any issues with the 64-bit BETA CLIENT.

Cool, gonna run this on a 256GB server and see what happens.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm closing in on 80. What should I do first to get on track to opening up Reaper?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ Head to the new Heart of Thorns areas and join up with one of the Hero Point trains goons like Schpyder have been running. You don't have to do anything special to unlock Reaper, just get lots of hero points.

Tivac posted:

Hell yeah.

If anyone downloads this before I get home, let me know if it still works with GemFX so I can know that it'll all be fine :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is anyone else still playing an elementalist? I'm finding tempest a bit lackluster and hoping that someone has a shiny new build or something to suggest. The warhorn abilities all seem kind of meh, the overloads require you to mash your face up against mobs that can usually one-shot you (and you can't dodge without breaking the channel), and the only decent damage overload seems to be air anyway.

Dagger/warhorn seems subpar because without the dagger offhand you lose a lot of mobility, and scepter is generally terrible regardless of what you pair it with. The most damage seems to come from constantly overloading air, but then you're stuck in air scepter which is the worst damage output. Or air dagger, but you don't have your cool mobility tricks to survive while daggering. Or just not use the warhorn at all, I guess, but then what's the point of even having it? I don't know, it just all feels vaguely half-assed and as if it were designed by someone who really didn't understand the profession in the first place. So, basically par for the course for Ele. :v:

If you're looking for something to top staff ele you're not going to find it on any class or spec. The shouts go well with the aura traits from the other various lines that's heal or give you boons, especially with aura sharing from Water.

• Locked thread