Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Man, I've been hearing the stupid poo poo all morning long at work. With some serious glee I've been told by multiple people how they checked the news first thing this morning, saw that Prop 1 failed, and how now they feel that there is hope for this country. It's not even the "rape in bathrooms" deal, it's just that now they're saying "Well now you can't claim to be a woman to get into women's bathrooms one day, then change your mind the next!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ratmtattat posted:

Man, I've been hearing the stupid poo poo all morning long at work. With some serious glee I've been told by multiple people how they checked the news first thing this morning, saw that Prop 1 failed, and how now they feel that there is hope for this country. It's not even the "rape in bathrooms" deal, it's just that now they're saying "Well now you can't claim to be a woman to get into women's bathrooms one day, then change your mind the next!"

I know that someday we're going to look back on all this with the same shame and disdain that we do poo poo like segregated water fountains, I just wish that day was today :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ratmtattat posted:

But I CAN. I can just walk into a women's bathroom whenever I want! There's no loving Toilet Cop stationed out front saying 'woah, lemmie see if you got a dick or not' that the HERO poo poo would have had executed in the street! If these people really live in this world where they fear a dude walking into a bathroom then they already should be terrified of public bathrooms regardless!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:commissar:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Sad about what happened in Houston yesterday. I wonder how bad voter turnout was in the state.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Sad about what happened in Houston yesterday. I wonder how bad voter turnout was in the state.

11%

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
:smith: That sounds pretty terrible.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

illcendiary posted:

Come to San Antonio, I need friends here anyway :shobon:

I'll be your friend! :glomp:

For reals tho, we have a quiet thread, the more people the better.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

zoux posted:

They can just say there girls and you have to show them your vagina because of Obama.

For your pleasure here's a bunch of Christians whining about the new Church of Satan in Spring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gw4Y-jNyFo

"This is what you get when you have freedom of religion," she said, derisively.

Holy poo poo that crazy bitch gets around. This is like the 5th video I've seen of her doing some crazy poo poo. She was the Monster drink is the devil lady.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Do you have a source for this? This is way higher than the last two elections on constitutional measures, which averaged 6% turnout.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Roumba posted:

:smith: That sounds pretty terrible.

If true it's actually higher than the past few elections for measures, which is way sadder

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
It's cool because the pro-HERO people mismanaged their campaign worse than Wendy Davis. The first I even heard of anything outside of LGBT protections was after the vote when one of the supporters lamented that because it failed, he (an African-American) could do l still be denied entry into the bars on Washington. I knew it covered a lot more than that, but everything was focused on that one part that got the highly religious conservatives to fight it as opposed to also allowing local protections against discrimination to other groups.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oil! posted:

It's cool because the pro-HERO people mismanaged their campaign worse than Wendy Davis. The first I even heard of anything outside of LGBT protections was after the vote when one of the supporters lamented that because it failed, he (an African-American) could do l still be denied entry into the bars on Washington. I knew it covered a lot more than that, but everything was focused on that one part that got the highly religious conservatives to fight it as opposed to also allowing local protections against discrimination to other groups.

I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about dude there were tons of ads and poo poo about 'no, idiots, HERO is about more than lgbt things, it protects literally everyone, like veterans, you like veterans don't you?'

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Yeah there were a few different commercials that were pro-HERO (mainly vet oriented) but it doesn't matter what kind of positivity you're bringing to the table when you're running against a black and white ad that suggests sex offenders are going to diddle some kids in a public restroom and the ordinance gives them the legal right to do so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you have a source for this? This is way higher than the last two elections on constitutional measures, which averaged 6% turnout.

https://enrpages.sos.state.tx.us/public/nov03_190_state.htm

jaegerx posted:

Holy poo poo that crazy bitch gets around. This is like the 5th video I've seen of her doing some crazy poo poo. She was the Monster drink is the devil lady.

Yeah she was also the lady that hijacked the mic at that Muslims at the Capitol day thing earlier this year.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Parachute posted:

Yeah there were a few different commercials that were pro-HERO (mainly vet oriented) but it doesn't matter what kind of positivity you're bringing to the table when you're running against a black and white ad that suggests sex offenders are going to diddle some kids in a public restroom and the ordinance gives them the legal right to do so.

Yea to be clear for non-Houston guys, the one of the awesome ads we were up against was a little girl going into the bathroom in scary black and white, a dramatic voice saying MEN WILL BE ALLOWED INTO THE BATHROOM and then it ends with a big dude standing in front of a scared little girl. It was straight up 'they're gonna fuckin rape your kids'

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I am sort of surprised at the apparent goon support for "top state officials do not have to reside in the town where the organizations they command are". That was the one state prop I thought might actually go down in flames that I wanted to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am sort of surprised at the apparent goon support for "top state officials do not have to reside in the town where the organizations they command are". That was the one state prop I thought might actually go down in flames that I wanted to.

It doesn't really do anything good or bad unless you happen to be one of the four (?) statewide officials that have to reside in Austin.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea to be clear for non-Houston guys, the one of the awesome ads we were up against was a little girl going into the bathroom in scary black and white, a dramatic voice saying MEN WILL BE ALLOWED INTO THE BATHROOM and then it ends with a big dude standing in front of a scared little girl. It was straight up 'they're gonna fuckin rape your kids'

If I won the lottery I would just run endless smear campaigns against assholes like these and burn them to the ground with bullshit because it doesn't matter if what you're suggesting is even remotely true.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's completely meaningless. I voted for it because making people live in the capital in an age of airplanes and skype and poo poo is really dumb but its passing or failing will have literally no affect on Texas.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

It doesn't really do anything good or bad unless you happen to be one of the four (?) statewide officials that have to reside in Austin.

Certainly less than ten, yeah. It matters less than the hunting amendment, so that's hilarious, but at the same time it really does gum up the works sometimes when top officials are unavailable.

None of the props this year were terribly important in and of themselves, although 1 and 7 could have significant revenue related side effects.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm fine with Sid Miller loving off to uncharted corners of west Texas never to be seen nor heard of ever again.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'd note that I don't think Houston is exceptionally bigoted (at least compared to Dallas-Fort Worth), the difference is that the city limits of Houston consume a lot of the suburbs which are far more conservative. Once you get outside Dallas city limits and into the sprawl where 2/3rds of the population lives, anti-discrimination protections evaporate.

Toronto is another city like Houston, very different obviously, but a similar dynamic where they annexed a bunch of suburbs and found themselves with Rob Ford as mayor.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's completely meaningless. I voted for it because making people live in the capital in an age of airplanes and skype and poo poo is really dumb but its passing or failing will have literally no affect on Texas.

Except it means Ken Paxton can decide that he lives in Rockdale now and if you want to try and prosecute him for all his corrupt poo poo you have to get the Milam County DA to be able to quit his part-time job at the Save-and-Stop to try and put a case together.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm actually going to stop correcting people on this and just let them think that it's true.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

zoux posted:

I'm actually going to stop correcting people on this and just let them think that it's true.

Yeah no one seems to read your posts on that, including me.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

You're confusing a few things here. When the legislator moved the Public Integrity Unit from the Travis County DA to the DPS, they effectively took away its prosecutorial authority (the Travis County DA can actually prosecute cases, while DPS can only investigate them and provide the info to the DA in the official's home district). Now, for every member of the legislator that means that they are no longer prosecuted by Travis County, but by their home district's DA.

However, up until this bill was passed, all statewide elected officials would have still be prosecuted by the Travis County DA (who has the most experience with winning these types of cases), since they had to live in Austin. Now they can live anywhere they damned well please, and have even more power than members of the legislator in venue-shopping for potential prosecution.

Here are the 26 statewide officials (since the governor still has to live in Austin) who are now completely free to venue-shop. This isn't some small list, these are some of the most powerful people in the state. If a statewide official decides to live in Milam, Hays, or Blanco County they are basically giving themselves a get-out-of-jail free card, because there's no way any of those counties have a DA that could prosecute an effective case on them, even with the PIU and DPS doing all the investigation for them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

e_angst posted:

You're confusing a few things here. When the legislator moved the Public Integrity Unit from the Travis County DA to the DPS, they effectively took away its prosecutorial authority (the Travis County DA can actually prosecute cases, while DPS can only investigate them and provide the info to the DA in the official's home district). Now, for every member of the legislator that means that they are no longer prosecuted by Travis County, but by their home district's DA.

However, up until this bill was passed, all statewide elected officials would have still be prosecuted by the Travis County DA (who has the most experience with winning these types of cases), since they had to live in Austin. Now they can live anywhere they damned well please, and have even more power than members of the legislator in venue-shopping for potential prosecution.

Here are the 26 statewide officials (since the governor still has to live in Austin) who are now completely free to venue-shop. This isn't some small list, these are some of the most powerful people in the state. If a statewide official decides to live in Milam, Hays, or Blanco County they are basically giving themselves a get-out-of-jail free card, because there's no way any of those counties have a DA that could prosecute an effective case on them, even with the PIU and DPS doing all the investigation for them.

Prosecutions will occur in the county of residence claimed when they are elected.

Sec. 411.0257. RESIDENCE. For the purposes of this
subchapter, a person resides in the county where that person:
(1) claims a residence homestead under Chapter 41,
Property Code, if that person is a member of the legislature;
(2) claimed to be a resident before being subject to
residency requirements under Article IV, Texas Constitution, if
that person is a member of the executive branch of this state;
(3) claims a residence homestead under Chapter 41,
Property Code, if that person is a justice on the supreme court or
judge on the court of criminal appeals; or
(4) otherwise claims residence if no other provision
of this section applies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Voting no to Hero has already proved ineffective. Sad story here. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Man-at-large-who-lured-12-year-old-into-CVS-6610122.php

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Prosecutions will occur in the county of residence claimed when they are elected.

of this section applies.

So no venue shopping, but the proposition still creates the problem of relying on the local DA to prosecute?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

So no venue shopping, but the proposition still creates the problem of relying on the local DA to prosecute?

Oh that's absolutely a problem. And there are concerns about venue shopping, Chapter 41 isn't real strict on requirements for residency claims. But that's an issue with the legislation and not the measure on yesterday's ballot.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

of this section applies.

Exactly, and every statewide official can now move to whatever county they want before their next election. So this amendment passing has a four-year (or less) clock on every corruption investigation, which starts at the beginning of their first term.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

e_angst posted:

Exactly, and every statewide official can now move to whatever county they want before their next election. So this amendment passing has a four-year (or less) clock on every corruption investigation, which starts at the beginning of their first term.

Since this will just result in arguing over the parsing of legislative language, I'll just say I disagree.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno it sounds pretty poo poo without parsing the wording. Just toss out the venue shopping part, you're still assuming the local DA in what could be a rural part of the state has the will and means to mount a case against a powerful state figure, who they may well run the same circles as. Seems like a license to be as corrupt as you want as long as you can count on some (potentially) small-time DA to play ball.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno it sounds pretty poo poo without parsing the wording. Just toss out the venue shopping part, you're still assuming the local DA in what could be a rural part of the state has the will and means to mount a case against a powerful state figure, who they may well run the same circles as. Seems like a license to be as corrupt as you want as long as you can count on some (potentially) small-time DA to play ball.

Yeah and these are all problems with HB 1690, the legislation that stripped the Travis Co DA of the PIU. It has nothing to do with the residency requirement measure, they were separate unrelated bills.

Also the only officials affected by the requirement are AG, Comptroller and Land Commish. The Supreme Court, Governor and Lt. Gov all still have to live here.

Here's the change:
The Comptroller of Public Accounts, the Commissioner of the General Land Office, the Attorney General, and any statutory State officer who is elected by the electorate of Texas at large, unless a term of office is otherwise specifically provided in this Constitution, shall each hold office for the term of four years. Each shall receive an annual salary in an amount to be fixed by the Legislature, reside at the Capital of the State during his continuance in office, and perform such duties as are or may be required by law. They and the Secretary of State shall not receive to their own use any fees, costs or perquisites of office. All fees that may be payable by law for any service performed by any officer specified in this section or in the officer’s his office, shall be paid, when received, into the State Treasury

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 4, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah and these are all problems with HB 1690, the legislation that stripped the Travis Co DA of the PIU. It has nothing to do with the residency requirement measure, they were separate unrelated bills.

Also the only officials affected by the requirement are AG, Comptroller and Land Commish. The Supreme Court, Governor and Lt. Gov all still have to live here.

Ah I see, alrighty then, probably no harm in letting them move.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

I'm fine with Sid Miller loving off to uncharted corners of west Texas never to be seen nor heard of ever again.

Frankly, this argument might have sold me on the vote.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

:'-(

I am devastated that this failed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Here's the change:
The Comptroller of Public Accounts, the Commissioner of the General Land Office, the Attorney General, and any statutory State officer who is elected by the electorate of Texas at large, unless a term of office is otherwise specifically provided in this Constitution, shall each hold office for the term of four years. Each shall receive an annual salary in an amount to be fixed by the Legislature, reside at the Capital of the State during his continuance in office, and perform such duties as are or may be required by law. They and the Secretary of State shall not receive to their own use any fees, costs or perquisites of office. All fees that may be payable by law for any service performed by any officer specified in this section or in the officer’s his office, shall be paid, when received, into the State Treasury

This is basically what made me vote the way I did. The issues with this are because of an unrelated terrible legislation, and if this rightly bothers you should be fighting that rather than the piddly crap 'no you have to live in Austin' stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Partly, as a resident of Austin, I want them to suffer Austin traffic so they can pressure txdot/travis/capmetro/ctma to fix things.