Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Has anybody ordered/purchased a 6p recently that can comment on the time it took for it to be shipped? Also, coming from an Iphone 5, I had sort of wanted a smaller footprint phone, but I don't think there's anything leading edge outside the Z5c that really comes close to that, so my other question is, is there that much of a size difference between the 5x and the 6p, ease of use/comfort wise? Like, if I'm thinking the 5x is going to be closer to what I'm used to, is that really a useful comparison to make, or are they both so much larger than what I'm used to that it won't really make a difference?

Also, I've read a review or two that mentions that the screen on the 5x is better in low light and for color reproduction that the 6p screen. Has anybody been able to compare two directly? Also, is this even a significant difference, or are both screens going to be so much better than what I'm used to that it won't really matter?

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You'll have to make a cardboard cutout of each model to carry round for a week. Only way to be sure.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

dissss posted:

You'll have to make a cardboard cutout of each model to carry round for a week. Only way to be sure.

We need to move on from cardboard, and print 3d models to carry around instead.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

5436 posted:

Impressions on 6P.

Middle:
Camera is okay, coming from a S6. The S6 was better at just picking the right foreground/background and shooting. I also liked the ability to say "shoot" and it would just take a pic. Both have the quick launch camera which is good.

Bad:
Physical buttons (this is annoying when you have the phone on the table, theres no double tap to wake). The screen buttons also take up real estate.
The usb-c->a is ridiculously small (a cable for ants?)
Camera is damned good. I pulled it out when I saw a grenade logo on an SUV in front of me driving home tonight. 20 minutes after sunset, bright brake lights, contrasting window/sky, image looks drat good.
Nothing wrong with the A/C cable. It does its job.

Only downsides to me are the teflon backing, volume buttons being right where I want to grab the phone at, and overall size being huge.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

AvesPKS posted:

Has anybody ordered/purchased a 6p recently that can comment on the time it took for it to be shipped? Also, coming from an Iphone 5, I had sort of wanted a smaller footprint phone, but I don't think there's anything leading edge outside the Z5c that really comes close to that, so my other question is, is there that much of a size difference between the 5x and the 6p, ease of use/comfort wise? Like, if I'm thinking the 5x is going to be closer to what I'm used to, is that really a useful comparison to make, or are they both so much larger than what I'm used to that it won't really make a difference?

Also, I've read a review or two that mentions that the screen on the 5x is better in low light and for color reproduction that the 6p screen. Has anybody been able to compare two directly? Also, is this even a significant difference, or are both screens going to be so much better than what I'm used to that it won't really matter?

I ordered mine on Thursday or Friday - 32gb Aluminum, listed as in stock and it shipped next day.

Still enjoying using it. Battery has been OK so far. Finding it equivalent to the 6 plus generation of fingerprint sensor. Way better than the S6 I'm also playing with.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

ilkhan posted:

Camera is damned good. I pulled it out when I saw a grenade logo on an SUV in front of me driving home tonight. 20 minutes after sunset, bright brake lights, contrasting window/sky, image looks drat good.
Nothing wrong with the A/C cable. It does its job.

Only downsides to me are the teflon backing, volume buttons being right where I want to grab the phone at, and overall size being huge.

It's good for sure but its not S6/G4/iPhone6 good which are the top 3 on the market. I'm just not a fan of the camera software. I also got blurry pics in lower light where I feel that wouldn't happen on the S6. Small sample size, I'll have to use it on vacation to get a better idea (almost only time I take a lot of pictures). I'm visiting my niece this weekend so it should be a good test since she doesn't sit still for more than half a second.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I agree with all three of these. I'm getting used to the size, but the buttons are in a weird space.

I'm also not a case guy, but I've ordered a case for this guy so that I don't accidentally fling it across the room when I pull it out of my pocket.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

5436 posted:

Yea what about the times i'm just reading a website, or anything that isn't a video? It still uses part of the screen that could be using content. I would get that argument if the screen ended at the bottom of the phone but there is a large bezel with a speaker. Just put some buttons there (and not the lovely Samsung ones). Ideally the screen is as big as possible in that form factor which I think is ideal for my hands.

You don't want buttons at the very edge of the phone regardless. But you're basically looking at it exactly backwards, IMO. A phone with physical buttons is wasting front space on the phone: that space for the buttons is being wasted all the times you're watching video or playing a game or reading a full screen book, when you ideally would want the whole front of the phone showing you content. With on screen buttons, you're not "losing" any screen space, because that space would be taken up with physical buttons anyway. Instead, you're gaining usable screen space, because you can have apps go into immersive mode and hide the nav buttons.

As far as I can tell, literally the only downsides of on screen buttons are (1) Android manufacturers using lovely displays that have burn in, and (2) if for whatever reason (like physical disability) you have a hard time accidentally triggering on screen buttons, whereas physical ones wouldn't be as prone to accidental presses. "Wasting" screen space is not one of them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kid sinister posted:

Yeah, but what if your battery percentage is going down while it's plugged in? I've been using my phone since this afternoon trying to figure out what's wrong with it. It's been plugged in that entire time to the included QuickCharge... charger, yet never gains any charge. It also typically loses ~3% when I reboot. It did gain charge last night, but it's been plugged in all day and right now is at 57% in Safe Mode.

One thing I noticed is that now when it's plugged in and I wake the screen, it says "Charging" at the bottom, but no longer lists the estimated time until a full charge. In fact, I've caught it once or twice while it's plugged in with the lightning bolt icon in the top right corner yet says "Not Charging" in the Battery section of Settings.

Is this a bug in Marshmallow?

No.

You have a hardware issue. It's either the phone, the cable or the charger.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Super Dude posted:

We need to move on from cardboard, and print 3d models to carry around instead.

You big nerd.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Tunga posted:

I've never owned a phone that didn't wake up when it was connected to any kind of charger.

... drat you're right. I always put my phone face down when I plug in the charger.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

you have a hard time accidentally triggering on screen buttons, whereas physical ones wouldn't be as prone to accidental presses.

I accidentally hit the task switcher all the time when I go for a comma on my S6. :argh: On screen buttons or GTFO.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No.

You have a hardware issue. It's either the phone, the cable or the charger.

I think you're right. I just discovered that my PC won't recognize it anymore. I got it at the beginning of this year, so it's still under warranty.

So how do I back up a phone whose USB port only does power?

edit: hmm, now my Widgets no longer update. I think this thing is circling the drain.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If there's a few specific things you want to pull off like photos or an app's data folder, you could use Airdroid. If you want to do some full backup you could try Helium in network mode (it's an option in the menu)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RVProfootballer posted:

You don't want buttons at the very edge of the phone regardless. But you're basically looking at it exactly backwards, IMO. A phone with physical buttons is wasting front space on the phone: that space for the buttons is being wasted all the times you're watching video or playing a game or reading a full screen book, when you ideally would want the whole front of the phone showing has content.

It's not like they're replacing the buttons with screen. The 6p has like 1.5 inches of bezel doing nothing but holding two 1/8th inch speakers. You can't say physical buttons waste space when instead of having the buttons you just have empty space.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

beerinator posted:

I agree with all three of these. I'm getting used to the size, but the buttons are in a weird space.

I'm also not a case guy, but I've ordered a case for this guy so that I don't accidentally fling it across the room when I pull it out of my pocket.
Yeah I may have to do that. Wonder if somebody makes a super thin but grippy case. A grippy skip...

Also, can you turn off haptic feedback on the Google keyboard? It's annoying.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

baka kaba posted:

If there's a few specific things you want to pull off like photos or an app's data folder, you could use Airdroid. If you want to do some full backup you could try Helium in network mode (it's an option in the menu)

AFAIK Helium absolutely requires connecting to a computer running the Carbon program for initial use, so that probably won't work.

ilkhan posted:

Also, can you turn off haptic feedback on the Google keyboard? It's annoying.

Yes. Settings -> Language & input -> Google Keyboard (not Current Keyboard) -> Preferences -> Vibrate on keypress.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

5436 posted:

It's good for sure but its not S6/G4/iPhone6 good which are the top 3 on the market. I'm just not a fan of the camera software. I also got blurry pics in lower light where I feel that wouldn't happen on the S6. Small sample size, I'll have to use it on vacation to get a better idea (almost only time I take a lot of pictures). I'm visiting my niece this weekend so it should be a good test since she doesn't sit still for more than half a second.

My brother has an iPhone 6, and the 6P blows it out of the water. I'm with you on the camera software being slightly wonky, but there's far worse out there (Motorola).

Catte pictures offered as evidence, and all three were shot in less-than-ideal lighting conditions--my two cats are in my dark living room, and my parents' kitten was in a bathroom with crappy incandescent bulbs. Gallery with full-size images here: http://imgur.com/a/kvdOT

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
FWIW:

broken clock opsec posted:

Office tank, Galaxy Note 5, "Pro" camera mode (manual mode, tbqh only thing I'm adjusting here is focal length)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

GokieKS posted:

AFAIK Helium absolutely requires connecting to a computer running the Carbon program for initial use, so that probably won't work.

Yes. Settings -> Language & input -> Google Keyboard (not Current Keyboard) -> Preferences -> Vibrate on keypress.
There it is. Thanks.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

Has anybody ordered/purchased a 6p recently that can comment on the time it took for it to be shipped?

Going by posts on /r/Nexus6P and xda, there's a couple possibilities:

A) If you order a 32 or 64GB aluminum right now, you'll get it in a day or two.

B) If you order a 128GB aluminum or any size graphite or frost, or if you pre-ordered any size or finish, including the 32/64gb aluminums that are shipping out immediately for new orders: Who the gently caress knows. Maybe you'll get a phone eventually, maybe not. :shrug:

quote:

From what I've read, any issues with the 6P's brightness and color reproduction are solved by turning off adaptive brightness and going into developer options and turning on sRGB mode.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

uPen posted:

It's not like they're replacing the buttons with screen. The 6p has like 1.5 inches of bezel doing nothing but holding two 1/8th inch speakers. You can't say physical buttons waste space when instead of having the buttons you just have empty space.

If the 6P had physical buttons it'd have an even bigger chin than it does now.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

So it turns out either my charger, USB-C cable, or phone USB port on my brand new Nexus 5x is broken, because the phone is not taking any charge. No brick-and-mortar store that I can find sells USB A-to-C cables and I don't know if my battery can last until I get the one I've ordered. The google store does not yet sell USB-C chargers in Norway. I see that Apple uses USB-C for their macbooks. Is there any reason a charger designed for a macbook would not work on my 5x?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Theris posted:

Going by posts on /r/Nexus6P and xda, there's a couple possibilities:

A) If you order a 32 or 64GB aluminum right now, you'll get it in a day or two.

B) If you order a 128GB aluminum or any size graphite or frost, or if you pre-ordered any size or finish, including the 32/64gb aluminums that are shipping out immediately for new orders: Who the gently caress knows. Maybe you'll get a phone eventually, maybe not. :shrug:

From what I've read, any issues with the 6P's brightness and color reproduction are solved by turning off adaptive brightness and going into developer options and turning on sRGB mode.

Thank you. This certainly helps with my indecision.

I've been without a smartphone for about 5 days now and while it's strangely liberating, I'm also starting to feel the lack.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Heads up: if you've been focusing on lowest price when you choose a USB-C cable, you may get one that could potentially damage your device:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...s-and-adapters/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rastor posted:

Heads up: if you've been focusing on lowest price when you choose a USB-C cable, you may get one that could potentially damage your device:

drat, saw the iOrange image on the story...then realized it's one of the safe ones. Whew. This standard is the Wild West so far. Hopefully manufacturers figure it out and put quality products on the market. I don't really care if the cost is a bit higher...I just want something that works properly.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

Ugh, I processed a return on that four pack. If I don't a refund I'll file an amazon dispute.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

They're more expensive right now but I always recommend monoprice for cables.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So I have a launch model Nexus 5 which I never upgraded past the final Kit Kat build nor rooted. My gf also has a Nexus 5 which she did upgrade to Lollipop and frankly, she had a lot of issues with it (connections, stability, etc.). Since she's not exactly happy with Lollipop, I'm probably going to encourage her to upgrade to Marshmallow.

I'm generally happy with my phone as it is. I've read about Doze and general interface changes but I'm still on the fence. Is there any compelling reason for me to upgrade to Marshmallow if I'm pretty happy with Kit Kat?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

My phone says "Charging Rapidly" when I have it plugged into my car via an eBay USB-A to USB-C cable. The car charger is rated at 2.4 amps. What is the minimum spec for "Charging Rapidly?"

This guy mentions that some of the cables are using the wrong resistors, potentially drawing more current than the charger can supply. Shouldn't the cables be dumb in that regard? I mean a few years ago people were shorting the pins on their cables/chargers to double the amp throughput, but phones are a lot smarter now. But ultimately, isn't the charger only going to be able to provide as much power as the charger can provide?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've got the Sony Concept 6.0 ROM installed on my Xperia Z3 Compact. This is the Marshmallow pre-release . Seems quite nice and the internal storage used up seems to be a fair bit less than the usual Sony ROMs. Right now with dozens of apps installed I'm using just under 4GB of space.

Flashing the ROM was very straightforward and is basically noob-proof - you download the installer, which downloads the Concept ROM installer, which downloads and installs the ROM, performing a backup if you want to.

My only real issue with 5.1.1 on the Z3C was the poor performance of the dialler - after a few weeks, it would sometimes take over 5 seconds to start calling someone after you tapped their name. So far it's been snappy and it's using the stock Android dialler, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Anybody got any questions on it/requests for screenshots? I could probably link the installer if anyone is interested.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, I'm interested in how to identify better cables. How do these resistors work? They're shorting the data wires? If so, if I can't measure poo poo between the wires, there's no resistor?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It looks like it's going to be hard to user-identify high quality USB-C cables:

wikipedia posted:

Full-featured USB Type-C cables are active, electronically marked cables that contain a chip with an ID function based on the configuration data channel and vendor-defined messages (VDMs) from the USB Power Delivery 2.0 specification. USB Type-C devices also support power currents of 1.5 A and 3.0 A over the 5 V power bus in addition to baseline 900 mA; devices can either negotiate increased USB current through the configuration line, or they can support the full Power Delivery specification using both BMC-coded configuration line and legacy BFSK-coded VBUS line.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

FogHelmut posted:

My phone says "Charging Rapidly" when I have it plugged into my car via an eBay USB-A to USB-C cable. The car charger is rated at 2.4 amps. What is the minimum spec for "Charging Rapidly?"

This guy mentions that some of the cables are using the wrong resistors, potentially drawing more current than the charger can supply. Shouldn't the cables be dumb in that regard? I mean a few years ago people were shorting the pins on their cables/chargers to double the amp throughput, but phones are a lot smarter now. But ultimately, isn't the charger only going to be able to provide as much power as the charger can provide?

I looked through some of his reviews and replies, and it seems like they're using resistors meant for type-c on the type-a end. The cables should have more resistance on the type-a end since it's not designed to carry that much power, or something to that effect.

quote:

Using your bad USB cable, I have personally seen a high quality Anker charger in a brown out cycle continuously until I unplugged your cable and my Type C device charging from it.

By selling a cable that has a Type-A plug on one side but a resistor that should only be used when there is pure Type-C charging path (ie, C-C cable to a C port), you risk damaging people's older hardware with your out-of-spec cable.

Please fix your cables. Add a 56K ohm pullup instead of what you have now, and STOP claiming you can charge Nexus phones as fast as a C-C cable to the OEM charger.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Cable chat: FWIW i have one of each of these and they both seem to work fine and charge my 5X 'rapidly'

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WAKLAD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y2H6G5U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

e: guess I should clarify that I've only used them for charging, not data.

The A->C cable charges at full speed when plugged into this guy (I have one in my kitchen island and it's incredibly convenient) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3PMU4C

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 4, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

pun pundit posted:

It looks like it's going to be hard to user-identify high quality USB-C cables:
If there's a chip, I should be able to measure some sort of resistance, no?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

iamsosmrt posted:

So I have a launch model Nexus 5 which I never upgraded past the final Kit Kat build nor rooted. My gf also has a Nexus 5 which she did upgrade to Lollipop and frankly, she had a lot of issues with it (connections, stability, etc.). Since she's not exactly happy with Lollipop, I'm probably going to encourage her to upgrade to Marshmallow.

I'm generally happy with my phone as it is. I've read about Doze and general interface changes but I'm still on the fence. Is there any compelling reason for me to upgrade to Marshmallow if I'm pretty happy with Kit Kat?

Marshmallow is pretty much Lollipop with a few tweaks, so why not have a play around with her phone and see if you like it? It's hard for anyone to say you'd be happy with an update if you're intentionally staying on an old version for your own reasons

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
This is the engineer briefly mentioning how to test the cables. There's a $180 tester or a Pixel-C at the command line can do it

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

the nicker posted:

Cable chat: FWIW i have one of each of these and they both seem to work fine and charge my 5X 'rapidly'
Yes, but the point is that you shouldn't be trying to pull 3 amps from the USB-A end. Regardless of whether or not it can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Are these cable problems only with USB-C to USB-A? Should I be fine with any USB-C to USB-C cables?