Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have one person with a shield prefereably tank it, if you have a strength potion chug it before tossing a bomb at the thing. It isn't armored by AP attacks will definitely help bring it down. Dodge backwards when it goes for a ground pound, always keep your shield up and at full stamina to block its toss attack. Preferably fight it in an open area rather than in a building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have one person with a shield prefereably tank it, if you have a strength potion chug it before tossing a bomb at the thing. It isn't armored by AP attacks will definitely help bring it down. Dodge backwards when it goes for a ground pound, always keep your shield up and at full stamina to block its toss attack. Preferably fight it in an open area rather than in a building.
OK, thanks. Just so I'm clear: you need max stamina to block the toss attack? Being one shield down will let it through?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

pnutz posted:

-7-die gave me a red hat....for the elf. I mean it looks nice and all, but a white hood/mask with some mini-antlers seems fairly lackluster compared to plumed helmets or a pirate hat, gimme something that will not be visually lost in that furry, bullet-magnet cloak of hers

I got that hat yesterday as well. It is, by the way, a recolor of the deluxe edition hat for her. It's white instead of green.

NeurosisHead posted:

That's an exploit, not a strategy; same as the dumb under the horn bullshit everyone was a loving idiot about. Nothing makes me happier than watching people who are dumb babies about loot rather than smashing rats get picked apart by ranged specials when they do that.

I take it you've never done a Nightmare run with all grims and tomes. Good luck with that.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best ogre tanking I've seen was done by a shield character, and they always angled themselves somewhat advantageously so that when they get smacked away it wouldn't put them against a wall or anything, they'd get smacked back into the open and the ogre would chase them some more. He basically almost solo'd the ogre with the axe/shield and his dual flare guns.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 4, 2015

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zephro posted:

OK, thanks. Just so I'm clear: you need max stamina to block the toss attack? Being one shield down will let it through?

I thought that the charge drained all remaining stamina to block it, no matter how many pips you have left. I've blocked it with everything from 2.5 pips to a shield's 5 pips and had it work that way. The ground pound will do damage if you're in range no matter what though; blocking just reduced it slightly.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

NeurosisHead posted:

I thought that the charge drained all remaining stamina to block it, no matter how many pips you have left. I've blocked it with everything from 2.5 pips to a shield's 5 pips and had it work that way. The ground pound will do damage if you're in range no matter what though; blocking just reduced it slightly.
OK, thanks. Last dumb question, I promise: does charging the Aqshy staff buff the damage of the fireball? Visually it feels like it ought to because it looks more spectacular the longer you charge it, but I wanted to make sure (or maybe it just buffs the AOE?)

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Zephro posted:

OK, thanks. Last dumb question, I promise: does charging the Aqshy staff buff the damage of the fireball? Visually it feels like it ought to because it looks more spectacular the longer you charge it, but I wanted to make sure (or maybe it just buffs the AOE?)

Pretty sure it does, about the only staff that doesn't benefit damage wise from holding right mouse down is the Conflag staff since that only increases range. If you're in Nightmare keep in mind that the Fireball staff does light friendlies on fire which is a literal pain in the rear end.

Dvsilverwing posted:

I take it you've never done a Nightmare run with all grims and tomes. Good luck with that.

I have. Under the awning is just as easy and a hell of a lot more fun. Just watch the friendly fire grenades and you should be able to easily hold it. Seriously, Horn isn't a hard map and insisting that it has to be exploited will be a mystery to me.

Goatschach
Dec 25, 2006

Who watches the goatman?

Zephro posted:

I don't think full is required, but to expand on dodging backwards before a ground pound you can also dodge his regular attacks. Try to get the ogre in a wide open area and walk in a circular motion backwards to keep going through open space. After big attacks hit it in the face with your ranged weapon then rinse and repeat. You can solo an ogre up to hard like this especially with a handgun since headshots are pretty easy to pull off when he charges you.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Nebiros posted:

I have. Under the awning is just as easy and a hell of a lot more fun. Just watch the friendly fire grenades and you should be able to easily hold it. Seriously, Horn isn't a hard map and insisting that it has to be exploited will be a mystery to me.

Same. Several times now. It's completely doable full books on Nightmare. Insisting you have to exploit it just means your group is terrible.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I respect that you guys find nightmare fun because what's fun for you is up to you to decide, but man that just sounds like too much work for me. I just want to set it on hard, sweep waves of rats away with my hammer and periodically play the slots on fusing a bunch of blues together after I spend all day teaching people about insurance.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The orange potion sharing trinket is indeed 0% reduction in duration. It's kinda nice.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I think my ideal trinket setup would be like,
- 50% lower penalty from grimoires
- Orange potion sharing
- 15% chance to dupe items on pickup

Currently I have a grand total of none of them.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'd swap the duping trinket for the one that lets you revive people faster. It'll save your rear end a lot. Other than that yeah, that's my build.

Today I learned the Zoom Trait on weapons doesn't affect your normal zoom. You have to zoom and then press the button that fires the pistol on the rapier for TURBO ZOOM.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I'm pretty sure it's possible, with a speed potion, to jump back to the ammo-box-room-area after blowing the horn on Magnus. Unfortunately the last 3 runs I've done haven't ended up with me+speed potion at that point (and stupid pubbies don't even try to comprehend).

Has anyone tried this?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

sushibandit posted:

I'm pretty sure it's possible, with a speed potion, to jump back to the ammo-box-room-area after blowing the horn on Magnus. Unfortunately the last 3 runs I've done haven't ended up with me+speed potion at that point (and stupid pubbies don't even try to comprehend).

Has anyone tried this?

It used to be possible, (ie. I used to land it consistently) but the last two times I tried I came nowhere close.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Weird question about R.ogres and the trueflight bow. The pathing freaks out and the arrows start orbiting. Are they still doing damage during this or is it just a graphical glitch?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Azerban posted:

It used to be possible, (ie. I used to land it consistently) but the last two times I tried I came nowhere close.

They screwed with the jump during beta but speed potions stack so I think if you got a lucky proc with the 'potions don't get consumed' trinket you can probably still land it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Do strength potions also stack? Because if so me, some buddies, and some vial racks are gonna start murdering some rat ogres.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Dunno, harder to quantify. It's easy to demonstrate it with speed pots because if you quaff one, grab one at your feet, and quaff the second one while moving you will take off like Speedy drat Gonzalez. Strength pots I dunno, but my guess would be yes.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Not a lot of goons on when I hop on sometimes so I have to resort to pubbies and I swear they're worse now than even a week ago. Total panic when an ogre hits, they will just sit in gas etc etc. I even went back down to normal to play as elf and get some loot on her. Still awful.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tokubetsu posted:

Not a lot of goons on when I hop on sometimes so I have to resort to pubbies and I swear they're worse now than even a week ago. Total panic when an ogre hits, they will just sit in gas etc etc. I even went back down to normal to play as elf and get some loot on her. Still awful.

A pubbie in my group last night honest to goodness got lost on the map. Like he could not find us and didn't know where to go. It was Garden of Moor right before you jump down into the little maze-garden place. We had jumped over and he could not locate us and wandered around until a horde showed up and killed him. He must not have had outlines on.

Since I'm a chill gaming bro I was willing to forgive the nooblet but my buddy got all upset and started poo poo talking him for ruining the run and then that was that.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

When I feel like killing rats and don't feel like playing with pubbies or waiting for goons, Man the Ramparts on hard is pretty reliable with bots as long as you have a weapon for sniping specials.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Gimnbo posted:

When I feel like killing rats and don't feel like playing with pubbies or waiting for goons, Man the Ramparts on hard is pretty reliable with bots as long as you have a weapon for sniping specials.

If you have a dwarf or soldier bot with a handgun no special will last half a second past when you mark it. I'm glad they're on my team, because they loving cheat, man.

BanhMi
May 11, 2015
Has there been any lore / backstory updates on Kerillian ? She really doesn't seem as fleshed out as some of the other characters and I'd like to know a little bit about her. It's like she's built up this defensive wall and I just want it to be torn down already. Her tendency to be a prick and smack-talk the others, usually my good friends although sometimes pubs, just takes me right out of the game.

When I play the other characters its much more immersive and I feel as if I'm right there in the battle with them (imagine pacific rim?) but for her its just bleh. We know why everyone else is there and her story is just 'she saw some poo poo, a long while back in her home THE END'

I don't think it's just the play-style either since I am usually my gaming groups stabby pointy-end-of-dagger-goes-in-your-face characters.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Chomp8645 posted:

A pubbie in my group last night honest to goodness got lost on the map. Like he could not find us and didn't know where to go. It was Garden of Moor right before you jump down into the little maze-garden place. We had jumped over and he could not locate us and wandered around until a horde showed up and killed him. He must not have had outlines on.

Since I'm a chill gaming bro I was willing to forgive the nooblet but my buddy got all upset and started poo poo talking him for ruining the run and then that was that.

Even if I get mad I never take it out on pubbies. Just frustrating sometimes when you take the time to even explain events before they happen and they still gently caress off to do dumb poo poo.

BanhMi posted:

Has there been any lore / backstory updates on Kerillian ? She really doesn't seem as fleshed out as some of the other characters and I'd like to know a little bit about her. It's like she's built up this defensive wall and I just want it to be torn down already. Her tendency to be a prick and smack-talk the others, usually my good friends although sometimes pubs, just takes me right out of the game.

When I play the other characters its much more immersive and I feel as if I'm right there in the battle with them (imagine pacific rim?) but for her its just bleh. We know why everyone else is there and her story is just 'she saw some poo poo, a long while back in her home THE END'

I don't think it's just the play-style either since I am usually my gaming groups stabby pointy-end-of-dagger-goes-in-your-face characters.

All we know is she saw some magic thing she wasn't supposed to and now is cursed. Something to that effect.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

She's probably cursed and exiled from her hellforest of time fuckery and is probably under a requirement to kill X number of skaven and do X number of things before she can go home.

BanhMi
May 11, 2015

Tokubetsu posted:

Even if I get mad I never take it out on pubbies. Just frustrating sometimes when you take the time to even explain events before they happen and they still gently caress off to do dumb poo poo.

Play for the challenge. How far can you make it with anchors around your waist? Imagining the game like that really notches the survival feel for me. As opposed to boring item farming on the easiest map of the week people. It's a way more impactful experience.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Grudgeraker with Targeteer and a good Bloodlust roll; are these good? I've heard you can still put the pellets in a stormvermin's head fairly well with that combo.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

BanhMi posted:

Has there been any lore / backstory updates on Kerillian ? She really doesn't seem as fleshed out as some of the other characters and I'd like to know a little bit about her.

It has something to do with her following a Spellsinger one day, which is kind of weird as their traditional magic mostly has to do with trees and regrowth and such. They used to have a spell that was all about improving your hunting, so I'm guessing she has some sort of geas on her to hunt the Skaven. It's all very hush-hush and weird and will almost certainly be explored in DLC.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I have a luck trinket.

I am guessing it gives a minor bonus to your chances to find good items, but it's purely a guess on my part.

+10% luck is not very descriptive.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Backhand posted:

I have a luck trinket.

I am guessing it gives a minor bonus to your chances to find good items, but it's purely a guess on my part.

+10% luck is not very descriptive.

I am convinced luck increases special spawns too. I had a luck trinket on all the heroes, so 3 bots wore it whenever I started games solo. I ended up removing it because it felt like I had abnormal amounts of specials and storm vermin.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

BanhMi posted:

She's got a lot of room to grow, and I think a lot of her personality is left over from when they first wanted to make the game a bigger thing. As much as I can rattle off like 30 characters I'd love to see in a game like this, I really would like the story to expand and for them to let the characters grow together and change. Having the elf one day not be just so god drat mean would be wonderful.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

It has something to do with her following a Spellsinger one day, which is kind of weird as their traditional magic mostly has to do with trees and regrowth and such. They used to have a spell that was all about improving your hunting, so I'm guessing she has some sort of geas on her to hunt the Skaven. It's all very hush-hush and weird and will almost certainly be explored in DLC.

She talks about it with Sienna during one of the underground maps- she's cursed with Farsight and has seen the end of the world, so she's here to try to do something about it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

apostateCourier posted:

She talks about it with Sienna during one of the underground maps- she's cursed with Farsight and has seen the end of the world, so she's here to try to do something about it.

She's seen the Sigmarines? No wonder she's so irritable and easily upset all the time.

It's cool, though, Kruber'll stop all that poo poo. He and Bardin. And Saltzpyre.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I can never get the timing down for avoiding damage from the rat ogre's groundpound. I try and do it early but I might be doing it too early? That attack does wind up pretty quickly.

Metrohunter fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 4, 2015

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

It's retributive justice.

Vermintide: It's retributive justice.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The delay between shooting a charged fireball and quickswitching to melee literally keeps killing me; for some reason the entire animation just HAS to play out - I think i'm quickswitching, RMB to block and nope - chargin another fireball.

Why did I fuse my beam staff away :negative:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xthetenth posted:

I honestly don't understand repeated failures of basic mechanics comprehension after I assume they got explained to them more than once. Stay with the group, tell people if you're going to go somewhere they aren't, and for the love of god everyone over the one way barrier at once. That's about as simple as try to make sure you open the door before trying to walk through it.

I really wish they'd stop spawning packmasters right as you get to that loving barrier. I've lost count of the amount of times we've gone "its clear right? Clear? Clear, jump" only for me to be caught mid loving leap.

no this does not happen to me often, why do you ask

I should probably also turn my sound up

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

dogstile posted:

I really wish they'd stop spawning packmasters right as you get to that loving barrier. I've lost count of the amount of times we've gone "its clear right? Clear? Clear, jump" only for me to be caught mid loving leap.

no this does not happen to me often, why do you ask

I should probably also turn my sound up

Yeah, I don't hear them either, so I back off ledges as often as not so I can be sure.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Fishstick posted:

The delay between shooting a charged fireball and quickswitching to melee literally keeps killing me; for some reason the entire animation just HAS to play out - I think i'm quickswitching, RMB to block and nope - chargin another fireball.

Why did I fuse my beam staff away :negative:

rip

Some random tips for things I see often between both goons and pubbies.

Elf Tips: The longbow when drawn fully back will body shot most rats, use it to thin out an area. When they charge swap to your melee. Don't be loving Legolas.

The sword and dagger is also amazingly versatile. To clear hordes, do you charge attack then a normal attack then a charge attack. You will do the cross slash, a horizontal slash, and another cross slash. Repeat that and hordes will fall over to you.

Shield users
: Please use your charge attack. This is not the same as the shield bash. I watch too many people try to shield bash and then run out of stamina to then die to a horde. Your charge bash only needs to be charged for a very short time, and can stun a horde endlessly.

Wizards: Your overcharge will only kill you if you cast while it's maxed out. This is especially useful if you have a beam staff. Even though the amount of heat that the shotgun will generate will max you out, it won't kill you. Just let your heat drop 1 tick and shotgun again.

Running Wheat: If you jump and then throw you are able to transport the wheat a lot faster than just walking it, plus you can respond to rats faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Drythe posted:

Running Wheat: If you jump and then throw you are able to transport the wheat a lot faster than just walking it, plus you can respond to rats faster.

If you're the host you can also do this with 2 bags at pretty much full speed.

• Locked thread