Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

gawker is the worst and its perverse 'invade and recap everything' existence is one of the things that keeps me from being a media optimist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Before Gawker I had a diverse group of friends and while we didn't agree on everything we generally got along and respected each other.

After Gawker I dumped everyone who doesn't march in exact lockstep with my correct viewpoints on life and even though I'm alone and no one can live up to my standards I take solace in that I'm right, I always have been right and always will be right and ultimately that is what's important.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

straight up brolic posted:

gawker is the worst and its perverse 'invade and recap everything' existence is one of the things that keeps me from being a media optimist.

Its too late because "real media" is just like them now. Snarky millennial writers, slideshows, clickbait, stories about twitter, feigned outrage, and more.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I keep going to Grantland by accident.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

chunkles posted:

I keep going to Grantland by accident.

Same. I have 10 minutes between meetings, don't want to do any work, and I keep going to Grantland to check out the shootaround article for the nights previous NBA games and then just get sad. I don't care too much about Simmons but I really did love that site.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
In actual important media news, perhaps even bigger than Grantland closing, and certainly more surprising than Deadspin editors ghostwring fake quotes for Greg Howard, Whitlock is bringing back The real Real Talk Podcast, not the lame ESPN version.

How do you know this is the legitimate Real Talk, the best sports podcast ever, and not Real Talk adjace (the ESPN version), which sucked? His first guest is Big Deuce! You may remember Big Deuce as Whiltock's barber who came on the show and insulted Tebow for an hour straight. "We call dudes like him cock strong, he need him a woman" I still think of that line and laugh.

To say I can't wait would be the understatement of the year.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Man, Jonah Keri put up one last podcast, Ken Tremendous was the guest, good listen, and hearing the Grantland podcast tag was so :smith:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lol at you parroting that dumb ghost writing thing over and over to support loving Jason Whitlock of all people

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It was extremely unethical.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

It was extremely unethical.

Gawker has never given one good god drat about ethics though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Agreed, they're dirty and them and Whitlock deserve each other.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Editors making suggestions is not "ghost writing"

e: unless you mean him having a bad source for the grantland thing, which I guess is bad, but doesn't necessarily seem unethical. Adam Schefter gets bad info from a source and reports it like 80 times a week and no one seems too mad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

African AIDS cum posted:

Its too late because "real media" is just like them now. Snarky millennial writers, slideshows, clickbait, stories about twitter, feigned outrage, and more.

Oh hi grandpa.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Ribsauce posted:

In actual important media news, perhaps even bigger than Grantland closing, and certainly more surprising than Deadspin editors ghostwring fake quotes for Greg Howard, Whitlock is bringing back The real Real Talk Podcast, not the lame ESPN version.

How do you know this is the legitimate Real Talk, the best sports podcast ever, and not Real Talk adjace (the ESPN version), which sucked? His first guest is Big Deuce! You may remember Big Deuce as Whiltock's barber who came on the show and insulted Tebow for an hour straight. "We call dudes like him cock strong, he need him a woman" I still think of that line and laugh.

To say I can't wait would be the understatement of the year.

Its weird that you like Whitlock.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN wants those sweet sweet millenial clicks and are putting $200,000,000 into Vice Media

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's Disney doing that not ESPN.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

soggybagel posted:

Its weird that you like Whitlock.

It's weird that he has the kind of giddy crush on Whitlock that an 11 year old girl might have on One Direction.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Noctone posted:

It's weird that he has the kind of giddy crush on Whitlock that an 11 year old girl might have on One Direction.

I'll back him up a little bit on that, Whitlock in podcast/sports radio format is much much better than Whitlock as a journalist. The hot takes are somehow lessened in a notorious hot take format and the entertainment is better.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I'll back him up a little bit on that, Whitlock in podcast/sports radio format is much much better than Whitlock as a journalist. The hot takes are somehow lessened in a notorious hot take format and the entertainment is better.

I get what you're saying here but "better than Whitlock as a journalist" is damning with the faintest of praise.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I think Bill Simmons has finally gone off the deep end:

@BillSimmons posted:

My kids love the movie Pixels. If Adam Sandler started a church they would go there every Sunday to pay homage to him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

During one of his podcasts last week he was talking about how he had to stop letting his 8 year old son watch South Park because his son told him to suck his dick.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Crazy Ted posted:

Kids under 10 love the absolute dumbest poo poo.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Sooooooooo seriously what other sites are out there for good sports writing? I'm legitimately lose without Grantland.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ty1990 posted:

Sooooooooo seriously what other sites are out there for good sports writing? I'm legitimately lose without Grantland.

Sometimes sports illustrated, if you want stories as opposed to analysis.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SBNation and Players Tribune are hit-and-miss but there are some good pieces on both from time to time.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And the tv channel is going to be known as Viceland

Seriously

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ty1990 posted:

Football and Rational Thought for all your football needs.

Vertical Lime posted:

And the tv channel is going to be known as Viceland

Seriously

No fuckin way

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ty1990 posted:

There are none

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crazy Ted posted:

That movie isn't even aimed at kids. No kid is going to know who those characters are or what an arcade is. It's marketed towards Sandler's rapidly declining audience of manchildren.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

? That seems like a normal little kid thing

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

players tribune is terrible. It's like reading Pau Gasol's twitter feed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kalli posted:

During one of his podcasts last week he was talking about how he had to stop letting his 8 year old son watch South Park because his son told him to suck his dick.

Simmons doesn't even pay attention to the show. He was supposed to say "present it" to him.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

MourningView posted:

? That seems like a normal little kid thing

Yeah I don't really understand what is weird or wrong or whatever about that tweet

Anyway as far as there being alternatives for good, serious sports writing I can't come up with any, other than to wait for the writers who were recently in Grantland to settle into new places and start going there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

That movie isn't even aimed at kids. No kid is going to know who those characters are or what an arcade is. It's marketed towards Sandler's rapidly declining audience of manchildren.

Kids like it anyway.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
The New Yorker has some good pieces once every so often, but they tend to be much more human interest related then statistical break downs.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Football and Rational Thought for all your football needs.

No fuckin way

way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pCNJKGhQXM

the timing makes it seem ironic

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Vice sucks

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

MourningView posted:

Editors making suggestions is not "ghost writing"

e: unless you mean him having a bad source for the grantland thing, which I guess is bad, but doesn't necessarily seem unethical. Adam Schefter gets bad info from a source and reports it like 80 times a week and no one seems too mad.
They straight up added content to his article, to make it much more inflammatory, and said we added all this, can we publish. That is not "making a suggestion."

When I say I say the ghost writing stuff I am also joking, Greg Howard (usually) sucks no matter who writes his stuff. But things like that Grantland article make me question his other stuff. If he can't even get it correct if people gave a 2 week notice how much of his other stuff is made up fantasy?

I did call his "How Grantland Died" article an ESPN press release right after it came out because that is what it reads like.

Gawker as a whole is unethical, which would be fine but they act like the ethics police for everyone else.

Noctone posted:

It is semi over the top and partially tongue in cheek because so many people hate him, but his podcast at Fox Sports really was the best sports podcast going (in my opinion). I actually don't like most of his articles, as I have said multiple times.

Ty1990 posted:

j.school obviously this is a joke. I already bailed on it

I miss the Grantland podcasts. For some reason in my head when the site closed I just assumed the podcasts would keep going on ESPN. ESPN already has like 200 other podcasts and how much more work could it be to throw up the Grantland ones.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 5, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh hi grandpa.

If rage at "Thing X did Thing Y, you'll NEVER guess what happened next" makes me a grandpa, then give me a recliner and a bowl full of ribbon candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Watch charlse the hammer EVISCERATE one grandpa on something awful forums [click]