Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah there's nothing that can't be explained away with "blah blah electroMAGNETIC spectrum" outside of one story where he is telling Xavier a thing that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also Morrison is a lovely writer, which also explains a lot.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The timeline is basically:

1) Morrison takes over "X-Men" and names it "New X-Men", Joe Casey takes over Uncanny.
2) Joe Casey leaves Uncanny, Chuck Austen writes Uncanny for about two years and does the Husk/Angel skyfucking, Juggernaut turns good, the Draco, exploding communion wafers, etc.
3) Morrison leaves New X-Men, Austin switches over from Uncanny to New and immediately writes a two part "oh no that was Xorn, the other Xorn" story to allow Chris Claremont to use Magneto in New Excalibur. Casey stays on the book, which is back to just "X-Men" for another eight issues.
4) Claremont Mark III starts in Uncanny the same time that Austen is mopping up NXM. Then Milligan writes X-Men while Claremont continues on Uncanny.
5) I don't remember any particularly good X-Books coming out from like 2004-2010 but I am probably forgetting something.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 18, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No pretty much all those comics aside from morrison's x-men (which obviously some people will argue about) are trash

also yost/kyle new x-men was the best x-men book from 2006-2008

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

Austen's best unintentional contribution was naming the 5th Cuckoo Mindee, thereby ruining the SPICE girls acronym.

This is the most mindblowing thing I've ever heard in my goddamn life. I didn't realize it was a thing.

Also Mindee's name is really Irma, because reasons. :allears: The circle is complete.

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 18, 2015

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'll still defend that Exiles/X-Men crossover as being... okay.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Edge & Christian posted:

The timeline is basically:

1) Morrison takes over "X-Men" and names it "New X-Men", Joe Casey takes over Uncanny.
2) Joe Casey leaves Uncanny, Chuck Austen writes Uncanny for about two years and does the Husk/Angel skyfucking, Juggernaut turns good, the Draco, exploding communion wafers, etc.
3) Morrison leaves New X-Men, Austin switches over from Uncanny to New and immediately writes a two part "oh no that was Xorn, the other Xorn" story to allow Chris Claremont to use Magneto in New Excalibur. Casey stays on the book, which is back to just "X-Men" for another eight issues.
4) Claremont Mark III starts in Uncanny the same time that Austen is mopping up NXM. Then Milligan writes X-Men while Claremont continues on Uncanny.
5) I don't remember any particularly good X-Books coming out from like 2004-2010 but I am probably forgetting something.
Well, Astonishing launched not long after Morrison's run finished, and Mike Carey took over X-Men after Milligan's run sputtered out and did some pretty good things.

Joe Casey's run was weird, it was also very much running with the whole "mutants as pop culture" idea alongside Morrison, but he didn't execute it quite as well. He also introduced the Church of Humanity, which eventually led to Austen's exploding communion wafers. He did, however, use Chamber, which was good.

Austen's run started off fine, and there were some good aspects to it, such as bringing back Havok from post-Mutant X limbo and Juggernaut joining the team. It really quickly descended into hot garbage, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh wait Astonishing X-Men was also around that period.

That was a good comic. Then Ellis took over and it wasn't very good anymore.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Alright, I'm at peace with the Iceman stuff because I can entirely relate to the dude on his entire line of thinking there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Alright, I'm at peace with the Iceman stuff because I can entirely relate to the dude on his entire line of thinking there.

That's funny because there are a lot of presumably straight people being really really mad about making Iceman gay on the internet today.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

iceman gay. so what

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jean still needs to keep the gently caress out of people's heads though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zoux posted:

That's funny because there are a lot of presumably straight people being really really mad about making Iceman gay on the internet today.

I thought they did that like months ago.

Or did they finally nut up and made adult iceman gay too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Closeted but yeah.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yep

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Does xmen 600 today wrap up Bendis's run?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Norns posted:

Does xmen 600 today wrap up Bendis's run?

Yup. It's a longer $6 issue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cabbit posted:

What was the thinking?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

What was the thinking?

That he's already marginalized by being a mutant and he didn't want to be even further marginalized by being a gay mutant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

That he's already marginalized by being a mutant and he didn't want to be even further marginalized by being a gay mutant.

That's pretty legit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That's pretty legit.

Can not wait for Northstar to sucker punch him a couple hundred times.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I don't want to straightsplain gay issues since there are probably gay posters who have actual life experience with it, but the question of if there's a duty to come out can be highly contentious.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Northstar is probably too busy doing a victory dance and reaffirming the accuracy of his gaydar.

Edit: God, I just had a horrible premonition of somebody fridging Northstar's husband so they can pair up Jean Paul and Bobby.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

bobkatt013 posted:

One day, I'm going to try and figure out if changing my name on here to "Quebecois Mutant Terrorist" is allowable under the character limit

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't want to straightsplain gay issues since there are probably gay posters who have actual life experience with it, but the question of if there's a duty to come out can be highly contentious.

I just mean its Northstar and he is going to be an rear end about it, and more based off Northstar's experience.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Northstar is probably too busy doing a victory dance and reaffirming the accuracy of his gaydar.

I wanna see a scene where Bobby admits he's totally into Northstar, and that makes Northstar even madder because he's married now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Did people really think they weren't going to have adult Bobby come out? Just because he dated a few women in the past, doesn't really mean much. I've recently been dealing with someone whose ex fiancé, and father of her child, drunkenly came out a month before their wedding. Not a drat thing surprises me anymore.

Was Extraordinary any good? That Ramos art is a little off putting.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Also, he's been busy with the crazy life of being an X-Man and also a Champion once, which, yeah, would leave you very little time to honestly try and figure out where you're at.

e: Extraordinary X-Men was trash. The writing's kinda bland, and the pileup of disasters strking the mutants at once screams of "Screw you X-Men fans you're never gonna get an interesting story ever again".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

Did people really think they weren't going to have adult Bobby come out? Just because he dated a few women in the past, doesn't really mean much. I've recently been dealing with someone whose ex fiancé, and father of her child, drunkenly came out a month before their wedding. Not a drat thing surprises me anymore.

Was Extraordinary any good? That Ramos art is a little off putting.

There did seem to be some reluctance to do it, whether this was always going to happen or Bendis buckled to pressure is up in the air.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I just read extraordinary and is colossus having a terrible/starved childhood a new invention? In claremonts original run he had a loving family and a successful farm/co-op - I remember being surprised when I first read it that the depiction seemed so positive for an american comic in the 70s

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Phoon posted:

I just read extraordinary and is colossus having a terrible/starved childhood a new invention? In claremonts original run he had a loving family and a successful farm/co-op - I remember being surprised when I first read it that the depiction seemed so positive for an american comic in the 70s

It might be a retcon to tie in with whatever his backstory is in the Deadpool movie?

Illyana and Piotr sitting at the table and both looking pretty young is the weirdest thing, since Piotr was buff as hell, and had a dozen X-Men missions under his belt, by the time Illyana was six.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Die Laughing posted:

I was hoping that he'd end up as bi. They're different people taking different paths, that's Bendis' big arc and theme with the time-displaced X-Men. It feels like that scene was just a repeat of the scene with young Bobby and Jean with the added aspect of adult Bobby just being scared, as if that invalidates everything beforehand. I get that younger Bobby and older Bobby having different sexual orientations may be awkward, and honestly at the moment I'm failing to figure out a way to get it to work, but the other option still feels like a blanket change as opposed to taking in the history of the character.

I wanted to have the one-two punch of Marvel getting a mainstream bi superhero as well as a gay one. It may just be that the situation's completely antithetical to it with how it's been set up, but that's a writer's problem. It doesn't help that Bendis made allusions to the idea when the earlier talk between O5 Jean and O5 Bobby happened. I'm not at all saying that Marvel getting new gay characters shouldn't have happened. It just feels to me like it's coming at the expense of having bi characters as well where... I think Psylocke is the only one I've been made recently aware of that's not a future or alternate version of someone, an anti-hero that plays up the stereotypes to their fullest, or just a straight (:v:) villain. It's nice that there's more representation in general, but I feel like there was an opportunity lost here.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Having present Bobby be bisexual while past Bobby is gay would be pretty odd. The best case scenario there would be devaluing past Bobby's perception of his own orientation, like, "No, trust me, give it time you'll probably find women you want to bang". Not exactly a great message to put out there.

The worst case scenario is, I don't know, young Bobby is gay but something made him bisexual as he got older which.. isn't really indicative of how I understand orientation to work.

Meanwhile, there's a poo poo ton of people who spend a lot of time closet well into their adult life because of an extremely similar rational to Bobby, so it's nice to put it out there again that coming out isn't necessarily something that gets easier as you get older.

Edit: Of course, we could definitely do with more avenues of diversity than "gay white cis guy" and "lesbian white cis woman".

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 4, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Even setting aside the (largely justified, IMO) criticisms of bi-erasure, if Bendis wanted to tell a story about "full gay" Iceman coming to terms with his sexuality... he could have actually *told* that story by developing it throughout his run, instead of sticking it at the very end and using Jean's telepathic intrusions as a shortcut.

as far as characterization goes, what he did is only slightly less lazy than having Jean wave a magic wand and saying "okay, both of you are gay now"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Even setting aside the (largely justified, IMO) criticisms of bi-erasure, if Bendis wanted to tell a story about "full gay" Iceman coming to terms with his sexuality... he could have actually *told* that story by developing it throughout his run, instead of sticking it at the very end and using Jean's telepathic intrusions as a shortcut.

as far as characterization goes, what he did is only slightly less lazy than having Jean wave a magic wand and saying "okay, both of you are gay now"

To be fair, "Iceman is gay" was a fan theory long before this happened. I'm sure some of it was a meme based off one panel but it's been suspected for some time at least.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, "Iceman is gay" was a fan theory long before this happened. I'm sure some of it was a meme based off one panel but it's been suspected for some time at least.

He didn't come up with this in a vacuum, sure, but it's still lovely storytelling with little resemblance to recognizable human psychology, all for the sake of... publicity? Bendis patting himself on the back?

Well, what's done is done, and more LGBTQ representation is ultimately a good thing. Hope Lemire and Hopeless do a better job running with it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Two questions. Why was this book loving delayed for so god drat long. From what Bendis said the issue was done before secret wars started. Second, why was that backup story in there? It's kind of annoying that it is an oversized issue and a portion of that was dedicated to a story I didn't even bother to read in my Claremont UXM omni.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just read it and...well...it was kinda anticlimactic, wasn't it? And not just the gaiety; the whole issue was anticlimactic.

Which...y'know. Bendis. :v: But, hey, I can live with it.

bobkatt013 posted:

The one thing that takes a bit of the wind out of a bit of the sails for me on this is that there are, frankly, a bunch of characters out there already who are both openly LGBT and a mutant, so this whole thing about Bobby being [dramatic voice]gaaaay AAAND a MUTAANT[/dramatic voice] is not really -- to put it most generously -- as unique or as big of a deal as Bendis seems to be making it out to be. I mean, obviously it's still very oppressive, and obviously it's gonna be a big deal to Bobby personally, but frankly I find his denial and repression of his identity much more interesting than his...how do I put it?...dual-persecution status?

Which is to say...I don't think Bendis made Bobby repressed enough. I feel like Bobby admitted it (albeit to himself, and to a psychic) far too easily. I kinda wanted more angst about his repression. But there wasn't really any dramatic twist to this, was there? He just kinda sighed and complained and then there were some hugs. Young Bobby had a more dramatic reaction to this than old Bobby did. Psychics other than Jean must have realized that Bobby was gay before now, but we don't touch on that at all.

In fact, we examine literally none of the repercussions of this...like, what's either Bobby gonna do about it now? Hell if we know 'cuz Bendis just ends his run on a whimper (literally Hank McCoy is whimpering in his room) and leaves all this for others to handle, exactly like how I suspected this might end back in April.

'Cuz...y'know. Bendis. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Well, what's done is done, and more LGBTQ representation is ultimately a good thing. Hope Lemire and Hopeless do a better job running with it.

Lemire doesn't do character, and Hopeless doesn't do not awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Lemire doesn't do character, and Hopeless doesn't do not awful.

Well this entire post is just bullshit.

• Locked thread