Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Dreggon how do I touch cockatoo???

I have too many fingers but they dont trust me also they keep flying at me aggressively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
One of them started biting off small branches and dropping them at me. I dont think im very popular

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

One of them started biting off small branches and dropping them at me. I dont think im very popular
They're parrots, that could also be interested flirtation :wiggle:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm only willing to lose fingers so the poor cockatoo is gunna be waiting a v long time.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I have too many fingers but they dont trust me also they keep flying at me aggressively

Cover yourself in honey and sunflower seeds and stand under their tree for a while?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

thats what they do if you dont feed them

get some sunny seeds and put them somewhere where the bird can eat them

do not give your fingers to the cockatoo unless you want the cockatoo to have fingers (you will not have them anymore they are a gift to the bird)

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

:getin:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

There better be a bird buried in that.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

RIP A Saucy Bratwurst, we knew them well.

Aug 24, 2011

mine's bigger

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sekkira posted:

There better be a bird buried in that.

If I don't cover it when Bobby's out, he will stand next to it with his face against it. I'm scared of what will happen if I open the lid.

Dreggon posted:

mine's bigger

Thats a kilo of seed how can you have more???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have had that many cashews, but the cashews are not only for the birds, much to Ozy's dismay.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

If I don't cover it when Bobby's out, he will stand next to it with his face against it. I'm scared of what will happen if I open the lid.

Thats a kilo of seed how can you have more???

I'd very much like to see pictures of your bird snuggling a container of seeds, that sounds adorable :3:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:dance:

I found a female Fife canary :D

And when I say found I mean she was in the shop and I bought her. Male Fife (yellow, eyeliner, he's pretty and he knows it.)Was bonded to a finch when I got him, finch died and as I may have mentioned, he has not shut the gently caress up singing at the top of his lungs ever since. 6 months of looking for a suitable/not manky pal for him later and i found her. She's gigantic and looks like a round brown starling with a white tail.

She's in the spare cage next to him, he has gone all reverse fluffy and is in "hello, what's this?" Mode, which is thankfully quiet as a mouse with the occasional curious beep, and is really tiny in comparison although I do not know what she looks like out of ball mode. She is sat on a perch considering life and eating.

Edit: her temporary name is "fat bird".

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 3, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

They're parrots, that could also be interested flirtation :wiggle:

Cockatoo-chan is so tsundere

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

What's the odds of them starting to harass you through your windows if you're successful?

Aug 24, 2011

Mizuti posted:

What's the odds of them starting to harass you through your windows if you're successful?

yes

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really love when Judah comes to a very firm decision that it is Time For Bed :3: Tonight by about 8:30 he was staring at me from his sleep perch and making little "hey, rear end in a top hat, do what I want you to" grumbles. Once I covered him there was the sound of vigorous floofing and then silence.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Turns out Toast loving LOVES the outer packaging of band-aids (well, pharmacy brand not-Band-Aids). She has been dutifully murdering a pair of them all morning. Last night she discovered that a cheap old yellowed Warhams paperback from 1990 is fun to shred, so my bed is now full of confetti.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

She is merely consecrating the bed with the holy texts of the Emperor.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Judah ignores books 95% of the time.

Unfortunately the other 5% are the times when he manages to sneak down to what I'm reading without me noticing.

:mad:

However, he also chews on puzzle pieces, which means that when my family is together at Christmas and my mom is doing the inevitable goddamn puzzle, I get to watch him constantly running away with pieces and her having to get them back.

:allears:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
Pearl would run off with the yellow pieces whenever we played the board game Sorry. She loves to wreak havoc in general, but the Sorry pieces were her favorite. :3:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Hello all, thought I would introduce Bonny,

She is a 2 year old Shamrock (also called Rainbow) Macaw, a hybrid of a Military and a Scarlet, with a 50+ year life span. It is thanks to her that I know own a Miter Saw and a Table Saw, turns out that if I make my own toys they pay for them selves in a matter of months.

To make her toys I take 2x4's and mark the different type of blocks that I would like to make, then drill holes, and finally cut the board. I had purchased her some toys but she would completely destroy a $40 toy in 3 days, as it is she can munch through a coconut shell in two days.

When I got her she was not very social, but she was very food driven, so over the last few months I have managed to get her to a point that I can pick her up by hand, carry her around, and pet her with out fear of getting bitten.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
oh my god more photos please, I absolutely love macaws they are my dream bird.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Tendai posted:

Judah ignores books 95% of the time.

Unfortunately the other 5% are the times when he manages to sneak down to what I'm reading without me noticing.

:mad:

Thus far, the only one of our birds that shows any interest in destroying books is Simon, and (as with Judah) that interest only seems to happen when I am reading something.

My solution of "sacrifice the bookmark" seems to be working well, though. Weekend "jade is sleeping in, so I'm reading, yay! it's birdie in the bed" time usually ends with the bed full of shredded paper. It's to the point that Simon seems to have lost interest in the books completely and always go right for the bookmark.

Bonus pic of Simon peeking out from under the blankets after snuggling up against my belly:

(yes, we are hyper-vigilant when there are birdies in the bed, and they are never allowed on the bed when we're both asleep)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I find that a roll of toilet paper saves the books, for some reason it's like crack to all of mine.

I would like to thank whichever one of them it was who decided to start vigorously flapping or flying at 5am this morning.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

learnincurve posted:

I find that a roll of toilet paper saves the books, for some reason it's like crack to all of mine.

I would like to thank whichever one of them it was who decided to start vigorously flapping or flying at 5am this morning.

Teeka decided to be a squeaky swingset for 15 minutes at 530 today. Whatever the gently caress that was about

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

1500 posted:

Oh man look at that pretty birb :3: More pictures! Every macaw I've known has been kind of a doofus.

schnickety scribe posted:

Bonus pic of Simon peeking out from under the blankets after snuggling up against my belly:

Well that was an embarrassing high-pitched noise I just made under my breath.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fat bird has settled in lovely. She just sits there doing nothing, which is exactly what a happy canary is supposed to do, she's also double the size of Peter non-floofed. Peter on the other hand has come alive, he's still in submissive feathers flat mode and is hopping from perch to perch staring into her cage like the most curious bird in the world and there still hasn't been a peep out of him. Huzzah.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

1500 posted:

She is a 2 year old Shamrock (also called Rainbow) Macaw, a hybrid of a Military and a Scarlet, with a 50+ year life span. It is thanks to her that I know own a Miter Saw and a Table Saw, turns out that if I make my own toys they pay for them selves in a matter of months.

To make her toys I take 2x4's and mark the different type of blocks that I would like to make, then drill holes, and finally cut the board. I had purchased her some toys but she would completely destroy a $40 toy in 3 days, as it is she can munch through a coconut shell in two days.

When I got her she was not very social, but she was very food driven, so over the last few months I have managed to get her to a point that I can pick her up by hand, carry her around, and pet her with out fear of getting bitten.

Post more Bonny!

Teeka demands it!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No bird (maybe no animal) can look more excitedly happy than a cockatoo with its crest up. Even if it really means they might be, you know, angry and murderous instead of overjoyed.

:3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Well rest assured he was happy I was dancing with him. I keep my fingers for another day.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

A pipe dream of mine is to harness train a large parrot and take them for walks. I can only imagine how much an intelligent pet like a bird would enjoy going on a hike or something. Maybe I'm projecting.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

A pipe dream of mine is to harness train a large parrot and take them for walks. I can only imagine how much an intelligent pet like a bird would enjoy going on a hike or something. Maybe I'm projecting.
I will vouch for a hyacinth macaw on a harness being one of the coolest things to run into unexpectedly.

I've never tried to teach Judah to get used to one, he's unnerved enough by concepts like "going into the kitchen" and "OH GOD THE BATHROOM I WANT TO GO HOME" without introducing the great outdoors into the mix.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Agent355 posted:

I would really, really like to be able to do this with Teeka but he is balance impaired so he would need to go in a backpack or I'd have to hold him on one arm (like a falconer) the entire way. He can't safely fly and lol at him trying to walk. I do a ton of hiking and it would be amazing to have him with during the summer, though.

What I really want is some way to mount him to my road bike.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Agent355 posted:

Can't speak for all birds, but Mookie will flip his poo poo if he spots a hawk. Crowds of people, generally fine. So, maybe less nature trails, more downtown strolls?

Mookie considered Bonny for a few seconds, then went back to chewing on his teacup. I, however, would love to see more of the technicolor cuddle monster.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Please post more Bonny. :3: Macaws are amazing birds, I want to live vicariously through you.

Eris is being a toddler and refusing to go into her cage for the night. Augh. :mad:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Yeah it's been a while since we've had a macaw owner in here. (Anyone remember Pteri?)

How is Eris coming along?

Also why is this thread no longer gold :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Yeah it's been a while since we've had a macaw owner in here. (Anyone remember Pteri?)

How is Eris coming along?

Also why is this thread no longer gold :(

Says it is for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Eris is doing well! She's still wary of us, but she hangs out with the budgies a lot and seems to be adjusting.

Now we just need a plan to get her hand-tame.